AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-03, 23:54   Link #61
Red Lupine
Bulzome High Priest

Episode was pretty funny, nothing extraordinary, but definitely gonna watch the next one
Red Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 00:37   Link #62
Clarste
Human

I spent the entire first episode reminiscing about all the times I've spent wandering around campus in high school and college. So, unfortunately, I kind of forgot to form an opinion on the episode/series. I guess I'll watch the next episode though.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 02:18   Link #63
ZODDGUTS

Like the first chapter of the manga the first episode of the anime was alright, nothing bad to say but makes you wish I'll get better. If they follow the manga I'll defiantly will.

Though one thing I didn't like is how they over did Torako's on being "special/unique", yeah she's supposed to stand out but felt they kinda overkilled it compared to the manga.

Oh and the animation was pretty good hope it stays that way.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 03:34   Link #64
Ultenth

I dunno, the animation was one of the weakest spots in my opinion. I had some scenes that looked nice, but it was like they blew all their budget on a few shots, and a lot of the other shots were noticibly weak because of it. Which is weird because usually ep 1 of most series is when they blow their entire budget, to make it as amazing as possible, then do cheap animation techniques for the later episodes (once people are hopefully already hooked) to make up for it.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 06:37   Link #65
ZODDGUTS

Eh, the animation looked pretty damn good to me. The preview also shows that it still looks good.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 08:20   Link #66
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Eh, the animation looked pretty damn good to me. The preview also shows that it still looks good.
Indeed, i found nothing wrong with the animation. It has a nice relaxing feel that goes along with the show quite nicely.
Old 2008-10-04, 10:49   Link #67
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
The first episode was quite interesting. I didn't expect this series to be "random", and it does give a highschool slice of life feel like you would with sketchbook but only with more character. That left hook was quite deadly and it was great that the techer was just as insane XD

I will see how it goes in the next episode

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 11:04   Link #68
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

What....did I just watch here?

It seems kind of like Lucky Star if you strip out the otaku aspect. Never saw the rest of the shows brought up in comparison to this so I can't say, but I guess this is what they mean by pure Slice-of-Life. The first episode is not a bad watch in itself, that's true, but compared with the big-hitters of this season....I would probably have picked this up in any other season, but in Fall 2008? I'm likely to forget about this entirely...
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 12:41   Link #69
sonicspin
キョン子主義
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to sonicspin
Well, glad to have another slice of life series to follow for this season. I'm not really fond of the way characters are drawn, but the colors were nice.

lol, made some fanart : http://sonicspin2.deviantart.com/art...Ayumi-99784690
sonicspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 14:12   Link #70
Molenir

Well, the first episode was fun and amusing. Interesting character designs, and humorous events so far. Pretty silly them wandering around like that forever. And the way the girl punched the guy who turned out to be their teacher...

Definitely looking forward to more.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 16:39   Link #71
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
What....did I just watch here? It seems kind of like Lucky Star if you strip out the otaku aspect. Never saw the rest of the shows brought up in comparison to this so I can't say, but I guess this is what they mean by pure Slice-of-Life. The first episode is not a bad watch in itself, that's true, but compared with the big-hitters of this season....I would probably have picked this up in any other season, but in Fall 2008? I'm likely to forget about this entirely...
This is slice-of-life comedy, but it's unlike any slice-of-life show I've seen. The characters and situations are more bizarre. I've watched it three times -- raw, with Chinese subs, and with English subs -- and have found it funnier each time. I expected this to be the humor of the absurd (my favorite kind), and it hasn't disappointed.

I've seen Earl and Fairy, Yozakura, Kuroshitsuji, Linebarrels, Toradora, Akane-iro, Shikabane, and Clannad, and for my taste Kannagi stands head and shoulders above all of them, with this second. Kannagi could become the same kind of popular classic its director Yamamoto Yutaka helped make in Suzumiya Haruhi and Lucky Star.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 17:26   Link #72
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
but it's unlike any slice-of-life show I've seen.
All i can say is that it's very Sketchbook. That's the only slice-of-life show that comes to mind when i think of this show.
Old 2008-10-04, 17:58   Link #73
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

The strength of the characters will probably determine the success of the show for me.

I find Hirano's Ayumi to be the least interesting of the bunch. Despite the surface similarities to Yuno (Hidamari), I really can't find much about her to hold my interest. The shy, sweet girl type can go two ways, either moe and endearing or dull and useless -- so far she's tended more toward the latter.

The star of the show figures to be Torako. Parallels to Miyako from Hidamari or Kana from Minami-ke. The vivacious (and loveable?) instigator who provides the mayhem and "hijinx."

Suzume looks to be an interesting sidekick, a touch of Tama (Bamboo Blade) but also a mischievous side to her. Hints of a Chiaki (Minami-ke) type cleverness. Hopefully when she starts getting some more lines we will be able to see more of her actual personality.

Tatsuki appears as though she is a typical prim and proper "hime-sama" (oh gee, put it right in her name) but at the same time, right under the surface is a completely ridiculous side to her that I hope will get more exposition: getting lost in a school she's been going to for years; her "3 right handers, 1 left" theory was hilariously inane; the way she makes up stories about ghosts at the school to scare Ayumi. Rather than being annoying or overbearing, she comes across rather as absurd with a touch of vulnerability. (She somewhat reminds me of Mint from Galaxy Angel.) Definitely an interesting character.

There appears to be an array of side(?) characters who will all need introduction as well, so we'll just see what lies in store for us next week.
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 18:07   Link #74
Ultenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
All i can say is that it's very Sketchbook. That's the only slice-of-life show that comes to mind when i think of this show.
Interesting, I didn't really see any similarities at all, care to expand on the comparison in terms of what you find similar about them?
Old 2008-10-04, 18:08   Link #75
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
Interesting, I didn't really see any similarities at all, care to expand on the comparison in terms of what you find similar about them?
Just how the characters interact with each other --- reminds me very much of the art club room scenes from Sketchbook. You also have the pacing of Hyakko that's very laid back, just like Sketchbook.
Old 2008-10-04, 18:20   Link #76
Ultenth

Yeah, but sketchbook has this whole serene and calm thing going on, and the art used much richer color palletes. But yeah, I guess the two crazy senpais from sketchbook could fit into Hyakko, but Sora is really nothing like any of them, and the vibe the show gives off is wayyy way different to me. Plus the focus in sketchbook seemed to be more about Sora, and the things she sees and how she reacts to or studies them, and less of a character study, like Hyakko seems like it will be.
Old 2008-10-04, 18:24   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Tatsuki is the one holding my attention so far....

But other than the art club interaction zaniness from Sketchbook, since there's no "zen moments" like Sketchbook has -- so I can't say I'm getting Sketchbook vibes. In other words, I don't feel compelled to have a nice cup of hot tea to watch Hyakko like I did to watch Sora and her friends.

I'll have to say Hyakko gets some points from me simply because it DOESN'T entirely resemble any other slice-o-life series I've seen.
Old 2008-10-04, 19:51   Link #78
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I was pleased that the various words Tatsuki used to say how to spell her name were explained in English. I didn't know most of the examples, but I did know one that they didn't explain completely enough.

Tatsuki said that the "-zuka" 塚 in her surname Iizuka 伊井塚 was the same as the "-zuka" in Takarazuka 宝塚. The English explanation called Takarazuka (Wikipedia) a "Japan opera group," which is true enough. But more precisely it is a long-standing musical theatre company entirely made up of women, in which women play both the male and female roles.

Its fans are mainly women and there is a yuri feeling about it, as women become fans of the women who play male roles. So using that word (which I don't think is the first word most people would use to explain the spelling) gives a yuri vibe, as well as a bit of a feminist vibe.

And despite my liking for Hirano Aya, I can well understand Sparrow1770's feeling that her character is the least interesting. She is approaching it in a very unusual way, not really communicating cuteness so much as emphasizing her inner panic and feeling of being useless. One can well imagine someone like Hanazawa Kana giving this an entirely different feeling. We'll see how things progress.

I think all the seiyuu are coming at their roles from unusual directions. Neya Michiko is giving Tatsuki something much more (or less) than just an ojousama feel. And Orikasa Fumiko's Torako is light-years from her Miu. The characters all seem to be very inside themselves and not really communicating, just barging ahead in their own directions. It's a weird and so far interesting feeling.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-10-06 at 11:45.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:44   Link #79
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Tatsuki is the one holding my attention so far....

But other than the art club interaction zaniness from Sketchbook, since there's no "zen moments" like Sketchbook has -- so I can't say I'm getting Sketchbook vibes. In other words, I don't feel compelled to have a nice cup of hot tea to watch Hyakko like I did to watch Sora and her friends.

I'll have to say Hyakko gets some points from me simply because it DOESN'T entirely resemble any other slice-o-life series I've seen.
Funny you guys mention Sketchbook...The first time I saw Ayumi her character design reminded me a great deal of Hazuki's from Sketchbook...Guess its the hair color/style.

Odd though I never really thought to myself watching the first episode "This is SoL"...Felt more like just a zany comedy to me. Ofcourse I never thought Azumanga was either, but then I didn't even know the term SoL back then.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 22:20   Link #80
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

this is more azumanga to me than anything else but they dont have osaka
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, parody, school life, shounen, slice of life