AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 30 55.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 20.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 5.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.85%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-14, 05:05   Link #21
Ec1ge
A true 灼眼のシャナ Shanite. :D

A perfect 10/10

From the beautiful new opening (which reminds me of Hishoku No Sora but 2x more awesomer) to the well done battle scenes, Yuji's declaration, hilarious moment where Flame Hazes ran around like crazy chickens after hearing his declaration, to everything else in this episode, this was another memorable episode.

I personally thought this one would've been boring with lots of talking and whatnot, but I'm glad that everything that went on in this episode proved me wrong.

EDIT: It was very nice to see in the OP that Yuji was expressing his beliefs, Shana's smile, them holding hands, etc. This felt like a true Shakugan No Shana opening.
Old 2012-01-14, 05:19   Link #22
Sakai Yuji
坂井 悠二

I haven't watched the episode but, really, the opening was amazing!
Can't wait to watch the episode but for now, I'm stuck at episode 10.

-I'm pretty slow-
Old 2012-01-14, 09:24   Link #23
alvinkhorfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf song View Post
They make a mistake in the OP about the mirrored world but I cannot explain it here
@Elf song
Please explain the error in the Spoiler thread. Thanks.

The following text is quoted from another forum. I could not say it better myself.
Quote:
Now that Yuji and his Denizens have more or less won their battle, the only thing I don't get is; WHY are the Denizens still killing the Flame Hazes that have given up!? That doesn't make any sense. If you attack them while they no longer have a will to fight, you are simply killing defenseless civilians.

Yuji could easily order them to withdraw if the Flame Hazes gave up, yet he does nothing but watch as they kill the people Yuji vowed to bring peace to. What a douche-bag.
The reason why Denizens need to kill the Flame Hazes is that Flame Hazes are still attacking Seireiden. That is no longer the case here, as Flame Hazes have lost the will to fight. With the Denizens killing the defenseless Flame Hazes, which side is being mean and unfair? To me, it has to be the Denizens.

Last edited by alvinkhorfire; 2012-01-14 at 09:38.
Old 2012-01-14, 11:00   Link #24
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

The new OP... I had to watch and listen to it a few times (the visuals impressed me a lot more than the song did at first, but then I listened to it with my best headphones) before I could come to a decision about it. I agree with Ec1ge in that it gave me a similar feeling to Hishoku no Sora; not in that the songs or visual sequences are similar, but in that it sort of embodies the entire feel of the series. It's an extremely fitting final OP. In a very true "this is everything Shakugan no Shana is" style.
Old 2012-01-14, 11:36   Link #25
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I can understand the flame hazes wavering

but don't understand why they take Snake's words at face value

If someone said they found a solution to all the world's energy problem, I would immediately start to ask questions
It wasn't just his words but also the the fact that he was able to return that made them feel failed their mission and now many Flame Haze believe whats the point in going on anymore. Remember Margery thought the same thing when she found out the truth about sliver however she found something else worth living and fight for.
Old 2012-01-14, 12:39   Link #26
etalocohc84

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
The reason why Denizens need to kill the Flame Hazes is that Flame Hazes are still attacking Seireiden. That is no longer the case here, as Flame Hazes have lost the will to fight. With the Denizens killing the defenseless Flame Hazes, which side is being mean and unfair? To me, it has to be the Denizens.
I was slightly shocked by Yuji's decision in letting the Denizens continue acting like that. In an ideal situation, he should have just let the Flame Haze army escape as a sign of goodwill to earn their (especially Shana's) trust that this is for the sake of the world. This would hopefully result in Flame Hazes not retaliating.

However, from a strategist's perspective, Yuji did make the right choice as the God of Creation. Just because the enemy is having a mental breakdown does not mean they can't recover from it (Margery did). Originally, they were retreating to regroup and form a new plan against Bal Masqué. If they do not return his goodwill, who would be the stupid one for allowing the enemy to counterattack? The rational choice would be to attack the confused army, weakening it physically and mentally so that it does not pose a threat.

Another reason to continue attacking is troop morale. Sadly, the Denizens hate the Flame Hazes as much as the Flame Hazes hate them. Unlike Yuji who actually wants to help the world, almost all the Denizens are fighting to obtain a paradise for themselves. This can be considered a very selfish wish. The benefits for mankind are just side effects of that wish as no Denizens truly want to help the humans. After suffering an almost complete defeat and losing so many generals, the Denizens would be furious if they were forced to stop just because a human boy wants to save the Flame Hazes. This would affect the trust in Bal Masqué's leader and the desire to protect him.

I guess we can say that Yuji is in no way perfect. Typical protagonists in these situations would have chosen the ideal choice. Then again, typical protagonist would not try to change the world through a war. Besides, if the ideal situation occurs, wouldn't it be a very unsatisfying and boring ending? They won't be able to fill up the remaining episodes.

sidenote: Yuji looks so much better with his new hairstyle, but I still prefer his original short hairstyle.

Last edited by etalocohc84; 2012-01-14 at 16:47.
Old 2012-01-14, 13:13   Link #27
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Its just fun to see that Yuji is smarter than all the flame hazes combine.
Old 2012-01-14, 13:36   Link #28
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
@Elf song
Please explain the error in the Spoiler thread. Thanks.

The following text is quoted from another forum. I could not say it better myself.

Which doesn't exactly help Yuji's case since he's stating that "You don't have to fight anymore"....

I mean that's like having a police officer chasing after you telling you you don't need to run anymore while he's firing his gun at you.

I mean seriously.....the flame Hazes were already in full retreat to begin with.

At this point it's a fight for survival for the Flame Hazes so they have to fight regardless of Yuji's goal.
Old 2012-01-14, 20:13   Link #29
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
That's because all of the Flame Hazes are tools created out of vengeance.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2012-01-14, 20:19   Link #30
Senshigeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
That's because all of the Flame Hazes are tools created out of vengeance.
It's funny to see how fragile the Flame Hazes really are. And the flock of chickens running everywhere was hilarious!! Poor Sophie trying to hold them down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Yuji's a genius! It's one of the best character's developments I remember seeing. Him and also Shana: remember her from the first episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec1ge View Post
A perfect 10/10

From the beautiful new opening (which reminds me of Hishoku No Sora but 2x more awesomer)
[...]
It was very nice to see in the OP that Yuji was expressing his beliefs, Shana's smile, them holding hands, etc. This felt like a true Shakugan No Shana opening.
Well, musically speaking (I really give my attention to that, since I am a musician), comparing both Serment with Hishoku no Sora it has the same kind of instrumental replies with the same musical instruments, the chorus are really alike, besides being the same singer. I quite enjoy Hishoku no Sora, and in my opinion it represents all SnS series - being the first OP and all.
Serment is very alike, but it is somehow new is some aspects: the rhythm isn't always the same, which somehow breaks the music routine.

In my opinion, a great OP sequence and the images only make it better, despite what some may say. It was really worth watching, great job J. C. Staff! Seeing it brought me butterflies to my stomach, with all Yuji x Shana, Margery x Satou and Pheles x Johan scenes. After all, Shakugan no Shana is about love. I can't get enough of this pics!!

Spoiler for OP pics:

I was expecting less from this episode, I quite enjoyed it. I am just so anxious for more episodes now, I can't wait for them! And Shana is really drawing to an end...

8/10, not because it disappointed me (it most certainly didn't!!) but because last episode has really blown my score, and I am expecting more awesome episodes.

Sig credit to Bila / Avatar credit to SweetHoney

Check out my anime and manga lists!

Last edited by Senshigeia; 2012-01-15 at 12:51.
Old 2012-01-15, 13:17   Link #31
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The whole reason you can't put much trust in Yuji's words is the result. Already shown a perfect willingness to use those words to destroy people like with Margery. Long as he gets his dreamed result of walking hand in hand with Shana doesn't seem like he cares too much about who has to die in the process.

Plus you know something has to be terribly wrong with this plan or it'd make the second part of this season really awkward . This whole copy of the world thing sounds terribly suspicious anyways. What he's just going to happen to make a world full of energy that's nice and empty? Or does he mean literally copying like the individual people in the world? In that case one would be debating the morals of sicking all the Tomogara on a bunch of clones.

It all sounds good, but like any good politician didn't think he gave much on the details.

Sadly this shows how fragile people built on revenge are. The ones who have more than simply that to their existence hold together while the others just snap. Even worse when you know the Tomogara are going to take this chance to slaughter them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
They got the almighty Reiji Maigo right there, I think they just need to perform the spell at midnight then the reiji maigo will supply all the energy needed , power of love sole the energy problem
Problem is Yuji plans on living with Shana and everyone...in the other world. How will they just magically transfer enough energy over to that rift world? Unless the Snake plans on taking the Reiji Maigo and killing Yuji.
Old 2012-01-15, 17:52   Link #32
Ec1ge
A true 灼眼のシャナ Shanite. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshigeia View Post

Well, musically speaking (I really give my attention to that, since I am a musician), comparing both Serment with Hishoku no Sora it has the same kind of instrumental replies with the same musical instruments, the chorus are really alike, besides being the same singer. I quite enjoy Hishoku no Sora, and in my opinion it represents all SnS series - being the first OP and all.
Serment is very alike, but it is somehow new is some aspects: the rhythm isn't always the same, which somehow breaks the music routine.

In my opinion, a great OP sequence and the images only make it better, despite what some may say. It was really worth watching, great job J. C. Staff! Seeing it brought me butterflies to my stomach, with all Yuji x Shana, Margery x Satou and Pheles x Johan scenes. After all, Shakugan no Shana is about love. I can't get enough of this pics!!

Spoiler for OP pics:
I felt that the flow of the new OP was great and it kinda went along with Hishoku No Sora's.
&
The pics are beautiful...
Old 2012-01-15, 18:13   Link #33
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshigeia View Post
This part of the OP makes me go all My YujixShana fangirlness just can't take it.
Old 2012-01-15, 18:55   Link #34
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Problem is Yuji plans on living with Shana and everyone...in the other world. How will they just magically transfer enough energy over to that rift world? Unless the Snake plans on taking the Reiji Maigo and killing Yuji.
yeah! this one still confused me.... how can they supply power of existence to Tomogara in Xanadu??
Old 2012-01-15, 19:03   Link #35
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

How much you want to bet it has something to do with the Reiji Maigo?
Old 2012-01-15, 19:11   Link #36
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well SnH had been planning on this long before he even knew the Reiji Maigo existed so....
Old 2012-01-15, 19:13   Link #37
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Which doesn't exactly help Yuji's case since he's stating that "You don't have to fight anymore"....
It felt to me like SoF didn't plan for the demoralisation speech, but somehow butted in after Yuji decided to angrily shout out his case to the Flame Hazes.

Basically SoF had to wrap up Yuji's desire in a more 'politically-appropriate' manner, since he can't exactly openly tell his minions what Yuji's primary motive is. THAT, would be demoralising to his own Denizens.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2012-01-15, 19:15   Link #38
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well SnH had been planning on this long before he even knew the Reiji Maigo existed so....
Maybe, but the Snake told Shana that Yuji's worth was for more than just the Reiji Maigo, and to me, that says the Reiji Maigo has some worth, so he's probably got a plan for it. It's been a central element through Shakugan no Shana thus far anyway.
Old 2012-01-15, 20:17   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Now THAT was a POWERFUL episode.

It answered a lot of key long-standing questions, and did so in the most epic and enthralling manner possible.

The one key element of Shana III that I've been iffy on is what I like to call "Aizen!Yuji". In other words, why is Yuji doing what he's doing? Why did he turn on the Flame Hazes (and by extension, some of his friends) in order to join Bal Masque?

Well, this episode finally answered those incredibly important questions. And the answers were, indeed, satisfactory.

Snake of the Festival's plans make sense, and are certainly worth supporting, if feasible. If he can pull it off in the manner that he described in this episode, then it makes sense for Yuji to want that.

The status quo was unacceptable to Yuji if a better alternative was out there. Now Yuji may be naive to believe in the promises of the Snake of the Festival, but I do think he sincerely believes those promises, and so his actions make sense.

The tomogara likewise believe that creating this duplicate world for them is possible. And from their perspective, that is a cause worth fighting for.

The flame hazes seem to think that such a duplicate world creation will inevitably bring with it a nasty fall-out of some sort for the world/Earth they already have. Sophie, for example, clearly didn't buy what Snake of the Festival was saying. However, my impression is that the sheer power of Snake of the Festival's voice, and his skill as a charismatic orator, proved overwhelming to many Flame Hazes in this episode. I also get the impression that his voice might have an effect similar to The Voice of Saruman from Lord of the Rings.

So now I get why both sides are fighting. I see the rationale for both sides, and it makes some sense on both sides. Flame Hazes have always struck me as very cautious and generally jaded beings. It makes sense to me that Snake of the Festival's stated plan would seem "too good to be true" to them; that they would suspect it to hold a hidden, and unacceptable, catch to it.

OTOH, the tomogara have no particular reason to not trust in Snake of the Festival, while Yuji has simply chosen to put his faith in SotF.

Novel readers already know if that was a wise choice or not, but that is something that anime-only viewers like myself will wait and watch to determine if it was a wise choice. I do think it's a generally well-intentioned choice where Yuji is simply focusing on the "Big Picture". However, that does mean that Yuji has essentially chosen a course in which "the ends justify the means".

It's morally complex enough to be intriguing, but also well-intentioned enough to not ruin Yuji's character completely, I feel.

As for Shana, I thought she came off great in this episode. The scene where her and Wilhelmina dramatically arrive for the rescue, after getting changed, was very cool. Great to see Shana don her classic attire from way back in Episode 1 of Season 1.

I am a bit curious to know how they intend to "fill up" the rest of the season now that Snake of the Festival/Yuji's plans have been made crystal clear, and it's basically a question of if you believe he means it and can pull it off without nasty side-effects.

But if the anime handles that well, the Shakugan no Shana anime series will end on a great final note, imo.

10/10 for Episode 14. Very nice new OP. A good one to end the series off on.
Old 2012-01-15, 21:35   Link #40
Kristen
*Author

So, I was a little confused by the OP. It seemed to imply Yuji x Shana. But then I realized something. Through all of those scenes, there is a white fade in/fade out effect. That's when it hit me - those are simply Shana's memories and fantasies. Memories of being young, memories of meeting Yuji, and her desire that she'd be able to be with Yuji and the Kazumi would just disappear. Yet Yuji is falling away from her at the end was a great metaphor because she knows it can never be true - his heart belongs to Kazumi, and no other. It's nothing more than memories and fantasies. Very poetic. ^^

This episode was epic and showed me how this show can survive another 10 episodes. Makes me wonder if they will be able to end it at all, to be honest. So much plot to do unless this is heading towards a bad end.