AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-12-10, 07:02   Link #7861
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

With Trestman being a QB guru and all, I would imagine that if Cutler is let go like some sources are claiming is a possibility at of this year, that Trestman will draft a young QB that he could coach up and mold into what he wants.

Hard to believe McCown is only 34; it feels like he has been in the league since 1990 and shit.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-10, 07:29   Link #7862
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Also, what is going on with Oregon right now? A snow ball fight gets players suspended. Rightfully so in my opinion, they took a joke too far. In Florida, we don't get any snow, so I don't know how it feels to be in a snowball fight but regardless I am sure I will not act immaturity like these students. Here is the video.
Ever been in a water balloon fight? Imagine that, but colder, and with more clothes. This is, of course, assuming idiots aren't packing ice into the snowballs.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-10, 08:00   Link #7863
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I'm already losing count with the number of people missing the next year or thereabouts from ACL injuries thanks to the contact rule barring anything around the head.

Head injuries are bad, you can't afford that to get knocked around. But having your legs snapped and cartilage torn apart several times is just as bad, maybe even worse. The rule isn't improving safety....I wonder how bad it has to get before those in power admit that.
Old 2013-12-10, 08:07   Link #7864
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Ever been in a water balloon fight? Imagine that, but colder, and with more clothes. This is, of course, assuming idiots aren't packing ice into the snowballs.
Reports indicated that they were doing it to all cars. Even towards their own professors driving out which is dumb enough. This video it showed they crowded a car into stopping to get a non mobile target. Once a driver got out they pummeled him with snow despite seeing him talking to them to stop (they did, but it took them a hell of a while). Well enough about that, the police are even talking about charging these students with harassment charges.

On to the Bears game, I am impress with the weapons they have on the field. It would be frightening if they had a great Quarterback, McCown is good right now and looking like he might replace Cutler if the Bears don't resign him.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-10, 08:10   Link #7865
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Head injuries are bad, you can't afford that to get knocked around. But having your legs snapped and cartilage torn apart several times is just as bad, maybe even worse. The rule isn't improving safety....I wonder how bad it has to get before those in power admit that.
The issue isn't "keep players from getting hurt". The issue is "keep players from sustaining brain damage", since that leads to things such as memory loss and potentially suicide in later years. Worst a snapped leg will do is make it harder to move around.
Old 2013-12-10, 08:39   Link #7866
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

I don't follow the Titans at all, but their been a lot of rumors that Chris Johnson will get cut by the next season. Any truth to these rumors?
Old 2013-12-10, 09:04   Link #7867
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
The issue isn't "keep players from getting hurt". The issue is "keep players from sustaining brain damage", since that leads to things such as memory loss and potentially suicide in later years. Worst a snapped leg will do is make it harder to move around.
Not disputing the importance of the head at all. Understand that. I don't like head shots. Seen too much of the results of that in the AFL, NFL, WWE and so on.

NFL defenders don't like going for the legs but they know they have to now. If it wasn't leading to long-term injuries with a moderate or higher chance of happening again, perhaps it wouldn't see so bad. Most other contact sports place equal value on the legs. Just saying I won't be surprised if the NFL would happen to make a rule to safeguard the legs as well a few years down the road.
Old 2013-12-10, 09:20   Link #7868
GDB

At which point, how will anyone be stopped?
Old 2013-12-10, 11:41   Link #7869
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Not disputing the importance of the head at all. Understand that. I don't like head shots. Seen too much of the results of that in the AFL, NFL, WWE and so on.

NFL defenders don't like going for the legs but they know they have to now. If it wasn't leading to long-term injuries with a moderate or higher chance of happening again, perhaps it wouldn't see so bad. Most other contact sports place equal value on the legs. Just saying I won't be surprised if the NFL would happen to make a rule to safeguard the legs as well a few years down the road.
I agree about the dangers to both the head and the legs, they are both areas of great importance to the human body. The NFL put higher emphasize on the had because they just lost a large amount of money in a lawsuit. Its going to be sooner or later it happens.
Quote:
At which point, how will anyone be stopped?
That is the thing, there isn't any way to do so. The NFL is making the game a lot of complicated than it is. I agree that targeting the head and legs are bad, but its not like players intentionally aim for them end someone's life and careers. I believe the NFL instead of worrying about policies, they should increase greater interest to research protection equipment with greater emphasize on knee guards and helmets. Upgrade them, but I feel that the NFL is worrying about their relationship with Riddell to do anything about it.

Here is a article about a helmet that present a large deal about concussion. Mind you that it is very long, but an interesting read. It is titled
The Helmet that can Save Football
Old 2013-12-10, 14:20   Link #7870
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I don't follow the Titans at all, but their been a lot of rumors that Chris Johnson will get cut by the next season. Any truth to these rumors?
He'll probably be cut. For what he's giving them, he's vastly overpaid.
Old 2013-12-10, 14:34   Link #7871
GDB

He's been vastly overpaid for 2-3 years now.
Old 2013-12-10, 17:43   Link #7872
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
He'll probably be cut. For what he's giving them, he's vastly overpaid.
Quote:
He's been vastly overpaid for 2-3 years now.
I wonder though, cutting Chris Johnson would result in 6 million in dead money. Is it too late to trade him to be someone's else problem and get some kind of benefit or restructure his deal? You would only get 4 million back on cap space, 4 million is a lot. Though not devastating so I can see him getting cut.
Old 2013-12-10, 19:11   Link #7873
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
With Trestman being a QB guru and all, I would imagine that if Cutler is let go like some sources are claiming is a possibility at of this year, that Trestman will draft a young QB that he could coach up and mold into what he wants.

Hard to believe McCown is only 34; it feels like he has been in the league since 1990 and shit.
That would be a hard gamble. Cutler has never had a stretch like McCown has had, but at the same time he is a decent quarterback and molding a rookie into a franchise quarterback might take a while, if it pans out at all. Unless the Bears have a shot at Bridgewater (which they won't) you might as well keep Cutler. They might be able to bring back McCown as a backup again anyways.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-10, 19:18   Link #7874
GDB

Problem is, Cutler's a free agent this off season. They can't just "keep" him. They'd have to pay him well, since he can easily get good money elsewhere.
Old 2013-12-10, 20:10   Link #7875
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Problem is, Cutler's a free agent this off season. They can't just "keep" him. They'd have to pay him well, since he can easily get good money elsewhere.
Agreed, Jay Cutler is 30 years old and is still productive. If they were to start from scratch, the only Quarterbacks in the draft that can immediately start immediately are Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles (If he decides to go into the draft), and Manziel. However, the Bears got a wonderful receiving corps so a dual threat Quarterback like Manziel isn't the answer. Bridgewater, Carr, and Bortles are likely to all get selected by the 10th overall pick (anyone surprise that the Steelers is number 10) by then. However, the other option is to resign him, however he is worth a lot of money to keep. He can easily go over 9 million or even 10 million.

A lot of teams would be willing to pay him that money because he is proven reliable, productive, and can be an immediate impact in a lot of teams. Even though I stated Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, and Manziel can start immediately, I wouldn't go so far as to say they would make big impacts especially not at the level like a Cam Newton when he first got drafted. Looking at the schedules and such for the teams that cannot afford to wait for a Quarterback next year and cannot get the solid pick which is Bridgewater, Carr, and Bortles will be incline to pay him the money he wants. Which are the Browns. I can see the Browns defense making mince meat out of Geno SMith with the Jets and make life horrible for the inconsistent Steelers. The Vikings (faces off Eagles, Bengals, and Lions ), Buccaneers (49ers, Rams, and Saints), and Raiders (Chiefs, Chargers, and Broncos) will most likely lose their games. Thus the Browns are the only team likely to win one or two games. However, one game is enough to knock them out of the solid Quarterback race of Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, and Manziel.

Update: Chemistry is at an all time low for the Red Skins. Completely disappearing at home is one thing, but to have a breach or someone talking about the distrust and chemistry issues of the heads of the organization is much worst.

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2013-12-11 at 00:00.
Old 2013-12-10, 23:52   Link #7876
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Emery has already said openly multiple times he won't use the franchise tag on Cutler.

Cutler's biggest liability is his health. He has suffered a significant injury 3 years in a row. Not his fault really, but when you become a moderate or higher chance to cop a season ending injury, your value and longevity does plummet.

If Trestman is the true QB guru, he'll find his ideal player to mold to fit his system. Carroll took a gamble on Russell Wilson and outsmarted everyone. Trestman could do the same in the 2014 draft.
Old 2013-12-11, 01:45   Link #7877
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
They could slap the franchise tag on him.

EDIT: Apparently not. But front offices always lie all the time.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-11, 03:28   Link #7878
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
They could slap the franchise tag on him.

EDIT: Apparently not. But front offices always lie all the time.
Not when the franchise tag is expected to be in the range of $16 million in 2014.
Old 2013-12-11, 06:22   Link #7879
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
Not when the franchise tag is expected to be in the range of $16 million in 2014.
I don't think they would fork that much out for Cutler - particularly when they need to upgrade their defense which has fallen into decline, especially against the run. And I doubt there will be a lack of clubs who would give Cutler another chance. Carson Palmer has proved you can be on life support for years but be ressurected.

I think you can rule out Houston, St. Louis and Atlanta. Houston and St. Louis will get QBs this draft (man, they must be loving how they got the better end of the RG3 trade so far) and Atlanta have a long term one in Matt Ryan - they need defenders fast. Cleveland...Jason Campbell is beginning to thrive. Cleveland may get a win or two more and be well out of the running for the cream of the QB crop as it is. Tampa needs a front seven. Washington have invested too much in RG3 to even think of it plus need defenders post-haste and their first pick belongs to St. Louis. Buffalo need capable WRs beyond Johnson regardless and after spending a first rounder on Manuel, I doubt they'd bite yet. However, they might just be high enough in the draft to at this rate...with Buffalo, close to anything is possible with their mentality...

Call me crazy but...would Jacksonville consider Cutler? There's two clubs that need a QB big time in Jacksonville and Minnesota Jacksonville are drifting too far away to have a shot at Bridgewater, Carr, Winston and Manziel. Minnesota sit at 4th on the draft order at this point in time. If that stayed the same, Minnesota would have a shot at one of them at the very least. Atlanta being QB secured and a somewhat probable destination for Clowney, Minnesota could have two to pick from.

I'm not even going to bother saying Oakland because they're tough as nails over there and I don't see Cutler fitting into that kind of place.

Having not seen Jacksonville not play at all in ages...are their WRs the kind that Cutler could roll with?
Old 2013-12-11, 07:32   Link #7880
GDB

I'm not sure if Cleveland would really go for a first round QB anyway. Remember, they were lighting it up with Hoyer. I could see them giving him another season to see what they really have before trying again in the draft.

Tags
american football, sports