AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 235 73.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 67 20.87%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 2.80%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.62%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.31%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.62%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-16, 21:05   Link #521
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesince83 View Post
I'm probably covering old ground here, but what could possibly make you dislike Saji? Arguably, he's suffered more than any of the other characters (in terms of loss) and his reactions to this point have been normal considering the situation.
Because he's an insignificant bitch that dresses in a completely stupid way that takes up valuable screentime that could be spent on cooler characters or cooler things happening than this little dipshit whining and walking around being a living example of Murphy's Law.

I hate Saji more than anyone else on the show. He's a complete loser that is more at home in other comedy series that make fun of worthless wastes of screentime than him.
Old 2008-03-16, 21:14   Link #522
Jays

Quote:
I'm probably covering old ground here, but what could possibly make you dislike Saji? Arguably, he's suffered more than any of the other characters (in terms of loss) and his reactions to this point have been normal considering the situation.
What's his purpose in the show? To be a parallel of sorts? Or to just be there wasting valueable screen time? As you can see I'm not a big fan of Saji, because his character is about as amazing as a two by four.

When you look at it, Lockon has to have one of, if not the most compelling personal story in Gunam 00. He lived a happy life, with a healthy family, siblings, both parents might I add - a rarity in Japanese Anime considering how usually there is only one parent, or they are non-existant - and then poof everything was taken away.

Just look at his last moments as he's aiming at Ali, and then as he's drifting. He basically says from the bottom of his heart that the only reason for joining CB was to get his revenge because he couldn't live any longer without it.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 21:25   Link #523
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

saji's role since the very beginning was to show the effect of war on civilians as well as provide some some answers for plotholes along the way, should he turn reporter in s2.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 21:30   Link #524
rpgman1

Fans love Lockon and this comes out quite shocking, killing out one of the most beloved Meisters. You can see that fans don't like Ali and fans will react wanting to see him dead in the end of season 1. You know Sunrise and Bandai, they really need to make big sales from the models and other Gundam 00 merchandise. If the director screws the fans over, then sales will plummet and Bandai will do something to rectify it. Ali seems to be the main antagonist, but we don't count out Alejandro and Libbons just yet. We'll see if they'll make any sudden moves in the last two episodes.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 21:32   Link #525
Demongod86

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
saji's role since the very beginning was to show the effect of war on civilians as well as provide some some answers for plotholes along the way, should he turn reporter in s2.
Except that by becoming a living example of Murphy's Law, with everything closely related to him just happening to be in the absolute most wrong place at the worst possible time in their lives, he sort of lost that example of "average civilian".

Hell, even BEFORE THAT, he wasn't an average example of a civilian in that he was going up to space and all of his assignments that we saw him talking about onscreen were "Celestial Being this, Celestial Being that".

I'm sorry, but as an engineering major at Lehigh University, I haven't gotten a SINGLE ASSIGNMENT in three years about "Al Qaeda this" or "Insurgents that".

And I don't wear tacky school uniforms. Or get a seemingly hot girl when my social skills aren't completely up to spec with such women.

No, Saji was perhaps supposed to be some sort of director's attempt at shoving some sort of average civilian bullshit down our throats, but he is certainly no John Everyman. What's the probability of both Louise being in that ONE CASTLE that JUST SO HAPPENED to be under the Thrones' flight path JUST WHEN NEENA WAS BORED?

Come on...average civilian my ass. He's a parody of an average civilian and an absolute waste of screentime that would be better devoted to fleshing out the pasts of the extremely one-dimensional Meisters or something in the Thrones' (Neena's now) past that could lead to some other subplot/new enemy.

Why can't Ali dispose of this idiot already?
Old 2008-03-16, 21:36   Link #526
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
I'm sorry, but as an engineering major at Lehigh University, I haven't gotten a SINGLE ASSIGNMENT in three years about "Al Qaeda this" or "Insurgents that".

And I don't wear tacky school uniforms. Or get a seemingly hot girl when my social skills aren't completely up to spec with such women.
Saji's a high school student (高校生). So yeah, high school students doing assignments on current events and wearing school uniforms are common. As for dating transfer students, meh, stranger stuff have happened...
Old 2008-03-16, 21:48   Link #527
Anavel
*Graphic Designer

Guess Lockon's death was predictably with the ending scene, him holding the scissors and then dropping them with a wave of blood flowing over it.
Anavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 21:51   Link #528
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
How many times now have Haptism and Soma ended up fighting together only to be split apart again? And you'd think by now they would have put something in his suit/gundam to block or nullify the mental effect since it practically debilitates him.
I've been thinking about why no one ever addressed that problem, be it, Allelujah himself or CB. You would think that some one in the higher ups would consider corrective measures for Allelujah's problem, but no one, not even Sumaragi, has said anything. I think this could simply be a plot hole, but I have my own little pet theory that maybe Hallelujah doesn't want the problem fixed, because that's how he knows his "prey" (i.e. Soma) is within range and he can go after her.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 22:01   Link #529
Demongod86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
Fans love Lockon and this comes out quite shocking, killing out one of the most beloved Meisters. You can see that fans don't like Ali and fans will react wanting to see him dead in the end of season 1. You know Sunrise and Bandai, they really need to make big sales from the models and other Gundam 00 merchandise. If the director screws the fans over, then sales will plummet and Bandai will do something to rectify it. Ali seems to be the main antagonist, but we don't count out Alejandro and Libbons just yet. We'll see if they'll make any sudden moves in the last two episodes.
Actually not everyone wants Ali dead. At first I wanted him dead since he was just a nuisance that was just there to reveal more fancy Exia gadgetry. But now, he's a force all his own, on nobody's side but his own. I wouldn't exactly call him evil. A selfish, amoral bastard? Absolutely. But he's not out there to say "LET'S MAKE EVERYONE MISERABLE". He doesn't have any overarching ideology. In fact, he's more like an extreme version of Soul Calibur's Mitsurugi. He's a mercenary and he's simply out for more money. Is it bloody money? Of course. But money's money, and everyone has to make a living.

Ali doesn't go around wantonly slaughtering civilians. He incites war. He kills combatants. Is it amoral that he turns little kids against their parents? Sure. Guess what? The middle east is lawless. You do whatever the hell you want to, but just be prepared to pay the price. Ali knew that and always knows that, and that's perhaps why he's that damn fucking good. He knows what's on the line in his trade, and prepares accordingly.

After all, selfishness and competition is a core part of human nature, or communism would succeed. Ali is not only secure in that fact, but thrives on this selfishness that eventually creates conflict that takes lives. As Lacus Clyne implied when going SEED mode, the cause of lethal conflict isn't some external force, but built in to human hearts. So it's basically simple economics--supply and demand. Where there's a supply of battle, there'll be a demand for world class pilots like Ali. Ali knows it and thrives on it, and simply decided to set his profession in one of the baser professions. But shit, politicians are ubiquitous, aren't they? And while a mercenary may kill a few with a gun, or a gundam, a politician can kill thousands with a single word. That's what gives rise to assassins as well. As they say, a dagger at night is worth a thousand swords at day.

Ali is good at what he does, and he just so happens to be against the gundams, not because he has an ideological conflict with the gundams per se, but simply because their goals are bad for his business! At the very heart of it, he's just being a businessman looking to keep his shop open. Sure, it's not the most ethical or cleanest business, but it's a way of making a living.

This is why I believe that Ali never *did* believe in God, that he simply was out fighting in Krugis and training those little kids simply to prolong conflict. The guy simply likes a good fight, and to make some nice money off of it. Come to think of it, Setsuna may also be full of shit when he said Ali Al Sarges killed Lockon's parents. Who says he even happened to be there? What if it was someone else altogether?

It'd be nice if Lockon would survive just for Ali to tell him "nope, wasn't me--I don't touch civilians--governments and soldiers? Sure. Civilians? Even mercenaries have their do-not-do lists." Frankly, I think it just may very well be nice to see Ali go free. He's not a guy out to change the world or to force his opinion on anybody. He's just out for himself. He's an opportunist. But guess what? We're all opportunists somewhere. We all want that something good for ourselves, and will go to some lengths to achieve it.

Ali wants a good fight. Ali wants money. Ali wants a luxurious lifestyle with a woman to be his wife while he lives in a mansion running a defense contracting company while dealing in the latest arms in a world where humans don't have to be kept down by some overarching police force telling them not to fight and to just be their competitive (sometimes lethal) selves, in which he can profit.

Does that sound like some religious extremist like those guys in Azadistan, or some crazy ideological nutcase like Alejandro Corner or Rau Le Creuset? Nope. Not at all. In fact, I find Ali Al Sarges to be one of the more HUMAN characters in the show in contrast to the jaded Meister crew (and just about every one of those characters has some ideological grudge--Setsuna was a child terrorist, Allelujah was designed to be a killing machine, Lockon had his family destroyed, Tieria is some cyborg bent on achieving Aeolia Schenberg's ideals, Sumeragi did something really stupid in the Union and ran away, Felt's there because her parents died for it, and we have no idea why anyone else is there (Christina, Lasse, etc...). And even more in contrast to the crazy idealogical idiots like Alejandro Corner or Wang Liu Mei.

Does Ali care about changing the world? No. Does he care about random civilians? Nah. They're just pawns to him. What does he care about BEATING THE GUNDAM TO AVENGE HIS COMRADES like Graham? No. What does he care about? Just himself and his own interests--and in truth, I find that I can relate more to Ali than probably the rest of the cast combined. I don't think about ideologies or changing the world for the hell of it. All I care about are my own self interests. Whether that causes me to invest my happiness in trying to make others happy to earn a return in happiness from them, or invest my time in order to make money to buy things which can make me happy (such as more time than I invested in order to get that money), I don't know. All I know is that I'm a human being and somewhere in me, I care about myself a hell of a lot more than I care for a random person on the street somewhere in Schmucksville. I don't care what happens to them so long as it doesn't affect me. That's because I'm a human being, and human beings are intrinsically selfish, or communism would work. We're not hive-minded, and nor are we superheroes. The cause of wars, corporate scandals, deceitful politicians, etc... is all a result of human selfishness going the wrong way. This selfishness is programmed into our very beings. I am secure in this, and Ali is secure to the extent that he THRIVES on these aspects of selfishness making humanity take a turn for the worse.

And before you say how terrible it is to capitalize on the vices of humanity, what about all of those sweets and junk foods you see in supermarkets? What about all of the weight loss books that are printed as a result of said junk food? What about beer, fattening expensive chocolate, sports cars, and the list goes on and on. We're humans and we have weaknesses. There are plenty of people who make their livings capitalizing off of these human weaknesses. Ali is no different. Which in my mind makes Ali one of the most human characters in the series, which is why I actually want to see the guy survive. I think if Mizushima has the balls to do what he did with Lockon, then I challenge him to have the balls to NOT have there be karmic justice for all.

In fact, I would be clapping my hands if Ali moved on from his mobile suit piloting and war-mongering into running a legitimate defensive company as Gaille Biage with a woman of equal human-ingrained selfishness and entrepreneurial spirit at his side as his wife, and with children being raised to be secure in humanity's vices and to base their own entrepreneurial spirits around that.

I honestly would *love* to see Ali come out of this as a successful entrepreneur who would later thrive not on competition for human life, but competition for money, and to thrive on crushing his competitors in the business world. He already makes a damn fine entrepreneur selling himself as a mercenary. I'd like to see someone whose ideologies are purely material succeed--because it's a hell of a lot better to live as a successful big-time CEO than some crazy ideologue barely making ends meet in the real world.
Old 2008-03-16, 22:03   Link #530
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
I've been thinking about why no one ever addressed that problem, be it, Allelujah himself or CB. You would think that some one in the higher ups would consider corrective measures for Allelujah's problem, but no one, not even Sumaragi, has said anything. I think this could simply be a plot hole, but I have my own little pet theory that maybe Hallelujah doesn't want the problem fixed, because that's how he knows his "prey" (i.e. Soma) is within range and he can go after her.
i think people dont question it because nobody simply cares about alleluja. Allelluja was totally cool when he was bombing grunts and talking Englrish like "I HAVE CONTROL." Now he's just a filler gundam meister that doesnt really say or do anything. Who really likes this guy anyway?
Old 2008-03-16, 22:21   Link #531
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

clearly you haven't taken english 101 or any basic ethics course then
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 22:26   Link #532
Cox
BEETLEJUICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
i think people dont question it because nobody simply cares about alleluja. Allelluja was totally cool when he was bombing grunts and talking Englrish like "I HAVE CONTROL." Now he's just a filler gundam meister that doesnt really say or do anything. Who really likes this guy anyway?
I think he is very interesting. They cant focus on every pilot every episode. I am sure his time will come in the next episodes. Tieria is next episode from the previews and I am sure Allelujah will be in 25 doing something
Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 22:27   Link #533
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox View Post
I think he is very interesting. They cant focus on every pilot every episode. I am sure his time will come in the next episodes. Tieria is next episode from the previews and I am sure Allelujah will be in 25 doing something
Stealing Sumeragi's heart! Would be fun if it happened, who likes Billy anyway?
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 22:27   Link #534
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Except that we have comparable contexts. It was a pretty memorable point in Gundam Wing.
Maybe for you. I only vaguely remember it because you mention it. It had none of the effect of, say, Trowa destroying the Deathschyth. But context really isn't enough. Take into account the series: Lockon's been interacting with Haro since episode one pretty much. For him NOT to say goodbye as he floats to his death would have been out of character for him. Both Duo and Lockon may have said goodbye to a mechanicle ally that they would never see again, but that doesn't mean one based off the other, especially since every idea ever used in Gundam has been present in literature before Tomino was a twinkle in his mother's eye. Pilots saying emotional goodbyes to their old and faithful equipment was around well before Gundam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
You can have explosions in space O-o. Its just not fire that's exploding everywhere, its just shards of debris. Also, I'm more than certain that the Gundams and near everything else with a pilot, has oxygen in it. Meaning, they can explode.
Pretty much. Though given the brilliant firework effects of glancing blows in Seed, I've always wondered how long it would be until some mecha design has the facet "is decompressed and deoxiginated except for the pilot suit in order to minimize explosions."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod
Except that by becoming a living example of Murphy's Law, with everything closely related to him just happening to be in the absolute most wrong place at the worst possible time in their lives, he sort of lost that example of "average civilian".
Actually, Murphey's Law is originated as a military axiom for preparation: Murphey's Law is what happens when you DON'T prepare everywhere you can. It comes from the days of experimental jet and rocket planes, where experimental equipment would fail if it wasn't just perfect. Murphey was actually an optimist, and Murphey's Law is there to remind people to check, double check, triple check, and quadrople check. It isn't about how things will go wrong even if you do prepare properly.

Just an FYI for future correct usage.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 22:29   Link #535
4Tran

This is one of the best episodes in the series so far, and features the second-best battle as well (I'd rate the one in episode 9 as first). I've got some quibbles on a number of things about the episode, but they're not all that important given how well the final product turned out. Further observations:

- The Trans-Am mode works better in this episode than it did in the last. I still think that it's on the goofy side, but it's time limit and GN particle drain changes how effective it is. It would seem to be a great boost in a duel, but it's a horrible idea to use in a drawn-out battle unless one side was planning to retreat anyways.

- Lockon is much more likely to have died in this episode than he was in episode 21. Here, he gets a proper send-off and everything. There's still the loose end of his lookalike; who would have been better to introduce while Lockon was still around, but that can still be done in Season 2. In a way, I'd have preferred if the lookalike didn't exist at all since his existence is sort of a crutch for the creative staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird D
As for Sarsches, I seriously doubt he's dead. He has the 'series main antagonist' protection, so he won't die until the very end.
Ali is a nasty villain, and writers love drawing out death scenes for such characters so that the audience can see his comeuppance, so it's all but certain that he'll be back. However, I don't think that he's the main antagonist at all - that role should go to either Livonze or Alejandro. Ali can only be considered a main antagonist if the creators decide to make it a "mastermind" / "muscle villain" pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var
You can have explosions in space O-o. Its just not fire that's exploding everywhere, its just shards of debris. Also, I'm more than certain that the Gundams and near everything else with a pilot, has oxygen in it. Meaning, they can explode.
Fuel, compressed propellant, power capacitors are all different types of things that can trigger an explosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamlover85
How do i do that??
Check the guide here. It hasn't been updated in a while, but it should be enough to get you started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar
i think people dont question it because nobody simply cares about alleluja. Allelluja was totally cool when he was bombing grunts and talking Englrish like "I HAVE CONTROL."
Just to clarify, "I have control" isn't Engrish at all. It's a standard flight phrase to indicate who is controlling the aircraft.
Old 2008-03-16, 22:30   Link #536
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
clearly you haven't taken english 101 or any basic ethics course then
I got into medical school. Care to tell me what you have done with your life?

Quote:
Just to clarify, "I have control" isn't Engrish at all. It's a standard flight phrase to indicate who is controlling the aircraft.
I'm going to ask my friend who is a cargo jet pilot. If it's true then that's pretty interesting.
Old 2008-03-16, 22:31   Link #537
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Pretty much. Though given the brilliant firework effects of glancing blows in Seed, I've always wondered how long it would be until some mecha design has the facet "is decompressed and deoxiginated except for the pilot suit in order to minimize explosions."
I honestly think that every unit in GSeed had oxygen packs in every possible crevice. Why? To make alert everyone that you've been hit with fireworks.

00 has done a fairly good job at space explosions, when something is knocked off you get a debris poof and then its gone. No lingering pink clouds.
Old 2008-03-16, 22:34   Link #538
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
Stealing Sumeragi's heart! Would be fun if it happened, who likes Billy anyway?
Sumeragi?

It's better than Allelujah/Soma, though. They couldn't go on dates without getting insanity migranes.

And I still maintain that female!Gundam and female!CustomFlag are the only ones fit for Graham.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 22:39   Link #539
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Sumeragi?

It's better than Allelujah/Soma, though. They couldn't go on dates without getting insanity migranes.

And I still maintain that female!Gundam and female!CustomFlag are the only ones fit for Graham.
Ehh, there's been some development on Al's relationship with Sumeragi, he drank with her and we know where that always leads.

I'm sure for Al/Soma there are further problems with... the laws. At least the former is more... legal.

Graham will get his butt kicked by a babe in a Flag and he'll simply fall head over heels. Till then, he's going to love his CustomFlag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tran
Fuel, compressed propellant, power capacitors are all different types of things that can trigger an explosion.
I simply listed Oxygen as it is what people always focus on for things burning or exploding anywhere. There of course needs to be fuel and other catalysts for the explosion to actually occur.
Old 2008-03-16, 22:46   Link #540
console65
GN Drive Specialist

Try to look at it this way people: Neil Dylandy maybe dead, but I'm not so sure for the alias "Lockon Stratos". Neil's twin brother can take on the name "Lockon Stratos".
console65 is offline   Reply With Quote