AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 06:39   Link #761
Elle_White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Perhaps, but I keep to myself until pandoras box gets opened once more.

It doesn't have much bearing on the events of the book of darkness, but it's still a sub plot that developes Fate's character even further. And most anime don't have a single focal point.
If I were to be unbiased, I'd say it's likely to get removed due to time constraints of the movie, since I'm sure they will only have time for a single focal point with such short time. But I still think it was one of the most well done scenes in A's.
It was one my favourite moments in A's. But I think they will remove it. I think they'll tie Fate's part in closer with the Harlaown family's plot centred around Book of Darkness. I think they'll emphasize that during the last incident, the Harlaown's lost a family member, but in this one, they will gain new ones.
Elle_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 06:42   Link #762
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
It solidified Fate's choice to live in the now rather than brooding over the past. Fate did choose Precia up until the bitter end, and only switched sides after she died. Had precia survived, I have no doubt Fate would have stuck with her. The dream eater sequence shows that through the coarse of her time on the Asura and with her family and friends, she has accepted the life she has now, and chose it over the fake life she always dreamed of. It doesn't have much bearing on the events of the book of darkness, but it's still a sub plot that developes Fate's character even further. And most anime don't have a single focal point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle_White View Post
She did make the decision to live her own life during the bridge scene. But then in the second season, she's going to school meeting new people, getting used to having a new mother figure, while questions about her own humanity come into her head. If Fate didn't have any more development to go through, she wouldn't have been hesitant to say yes to Lindy adopting her in the first place. Fate explicitly says in a sound stage that she was able to finally yes because of the dream state she was in. It wouldn't make sense if her doubts and worries disappeared when the second season rolled around. Not after everything she went through.
Hmm, you have a point that most anime don't have a single focal point. However I still maintain that the scene can be taken out without making much of a difference. Fate never shows much insecurity with her new family during A's (indeed her growing into the Harlaown family is left to the wayside altogether, and even her shyness at meeting new people quickly abates as the series progresses) making the dream scene rather left-field. We as viewers didn't know Fate still had issues regarding her family until that scene arrived. Sure, we could speculate, but we didn't know for certain until that scene arrived and told us she did.

It would have been more fitting if the series had thrown in the insecurity throughout A's, rather than just toss it at us in one scene and resolving it by eating up most of the episode. As it stands, it was a scene that was totally left-field and took us out of the flow of the ongoing story by suddenly changing gears and going from the Hayate story and into the Fate story.

Quote:
If I were to be unbiased, I'd say it's likely to get removed due to time constraints of the movie, since I'm sure they will only have time for a single focal point with such short time. But I still think it was one of the most well done scenes in A's.
It was a well-done scene, that I agree with. It was just... totally irrelevant to the story at hand and took away screentime for a similar scene for a character for who such a scene was actually relevant and who actually needed it.

Quote:
I agree we should have had a dream sequence for Hayate, but I don't think Fate's dream sequence took anything from her development at all.
She took away the dream sequence and most of an episode in doing so. Imagine for a moment that the dream sequence was about Hayate, the loss of her family and her loneliness. Suddenly, Reinforce's chants on staying in the dream have a lot more punch to them, and we as viewers become just a bit more uncertain whether Hayate will choose to wake up or stay in the dream.

Quote:
She'll still have worries in the movie, but I'm sure they'll play differently. And Hayate will be getting plenty of screen time. The review of the seiyuu have confirmed that.
I'd hope so. It's Hayate's season after all.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 07:03   Link #763
Elle_White

I think there definitely were scenes where Fate was unsure. She questioned her own humanity in episode 6. She acts grateful yet shy around Lindy, especially when Fate wakes up after having her Linker Core taken and Lindy tries to comfort her, which results in her recoiling a little out of instinct. She also acts shy around people at school initially, acts shy around the Takamichi family, and generally shown to be happy and grateful for her new life, yet rather timid and hesitant. And the fact she was still unwilling to give Lindy a definitive answer even though they are living together like a family said volumes about her hesitancy. Could they have shown more scenes to build the dream sequence up? Maybe, but that would have taken away from the main plot. So they built it up in a low key fashion as a sub-plot, then brought it to the forefront near the end. Personally, I was extremely happy with that moment and thought it resonated with the themes and Fate's story arc excellently.

From the sounds of things, they're going to make Hayate's story even more powerful. I think the added scenes for Reinforce will definitely help with that. So I loved the the original A's but I massively looking forward to the new movie too, and I'm confident they'll handle the story well.

I think I've finished stated my opinion on this, so I'll leave this topic now.

Last edited by Elle_White; 2012-05-04 at 07:18.
Elle_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 07:15   Link #764
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

And the scenes where she's shy also slowly show that shyness abating. See, it's that "bringing it to the forefront near the end" that bugs me the most about the scene. Sideplots are just that: Sideplots. They should be good for the character development of the characters in question, but shouldn't take away from the main plot. At the point where the dream sequence appeared, the main plot had shifted into full gear, and suddenly out of nowhere the sideplot appears and hits the brakes.

I'm probably not going to garner much favor from the Fate fans with this, but the dream sequence is the kind of material I would have delegated to the sound stages or manga. Keeping the scene and its development, but without interrupting the flow of the main story and keeping the time and scenes to instead build on the main plot.
Old 2012-05-04, 07:17   Link #765
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Again, just say she's outside the barrier and it took a while to bust in.

You're really making a big deal out of a small, easily worked around problem here.
Perhaps, but I'd consider that weak reasoning. It's kinda like the movie 1st manga emoha moment; why the change? There was no issue anywhere with breaking into dimensional barriers before, only out of them. Vita was only looking to locate and trap her target, not prevent reinforcements.

So, reasoning perhaps, but fairly lame, in my opinion.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 07:29   Link #766
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

A's actually did make a point of showing that breaking into barriers isn't done lightly. Signum had to expend a cartridge just to bust in, for example, and breaking it entirely took something of the level of power of the (incomplete) book of darkness.

It'd be a tad silly if getting in and out of capture barriers is as easy as opening a door.
Old 2012-05-04, 08:10   Link #767
green-link94

Now presenting Yuri.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
green-link94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:15   Link #768
DisarestaX
VongolaX/Biribiri

Edit: Got ninja'ed ^ for the TVCM

Dun tink this was posted yet, was up on youtube for some time but audio got removed.
This is the version with audio

YouTube
DisarestaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:33   Link #769
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarestaX View Post

Dun tink this was posted yet, was up on youtube for some time but audio got removed.

YouTube
The spanish guitar BGM makes it feel like I'm watching a Zorro movie
But damn, Pray does make anything awesome. That song better not be replaced if there's a StrikerS movie....
Old 2012-05-04, 11:10   Link #770
DisarestaX
VongolaX/Biribiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
The spanish guitar BGM makes it feel like I'm watching a Zorro movie
But damn, Pray does make anything awesome. That song better not be replaced if there's a StrikerS movie....
I was quite surprised when they used Pray

I thot using Brave phoenix was more appropriate, since this is A's after all
DisarestaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 12:12   Link #771
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarestaX View Post

YouTube
I have the weirdest boner right now...
Old 2012-05-04, 16:09   Link #772
Kikaifan
Blazing General

On second glance it looked to me like Lindy was getting ready to fight Signum there and then just go destroyed by Vita in a surprise attack...

Hard to tell from quick cuts in a trailer but...
Old 2012-05-04, 17:05   Link #773
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
The more Previews for the movie I see...

the less I want to see it.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 17:19   Link #774
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
From the trailer it seems like Vita is using the Book of Darkness to siphon Nanoha's core directly instead of needing Shamal to do it (the color is pink). It also seems like its taking some time. By causing Vita to require time to siphon linker cores, she's put herself out of the fight along with Nanoha, so we don't require Yunno in that sequence. It can be shortened to a Vita vs. Nanoha fight, then a Signum vs. Fate fight, perhaps.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 17:54   Link #775
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

The draining only comes after the fight, so they were done fighting after Nanohas magic was siphoned. Also I'm not sure how Vita would be able to do this in plain sight considering other mages are in the area.
Old 2012-05-04, 17:56   Link #776
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
A's actually did make a point of showing that breaking into barriers isn't done lightly. Signum had to expend a cartridge just to bust in, for example, and breaking it entirely took something of the level of power of the (incomplete) book of darkness.

It'd be a tad silly if getting in and out of capture barriers is as easy as opening a door.
Yes, capture barriers, ie, preventing people from getting out. Several times we've seen that it is hard to get out of one, but as you noted, it's not that hard getting in. Hell, Yuuno teleported himself and Fate in, directly to Nanoha. And the lightning attack from Shamal was to destroy the barrier. I would presume that slipping inside is a tad bit easier than outright destruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
From the trailer it seems like Vita is using the Book of Darkness to siphon Nanoha's core directly instead of needing Shamal to do it (the color is pink). It also seems like its taking some time. By causing Vita to require time to siphon linker cores, she's put herself out of the fight along with Nanoha, so we don't require Yunno in that sequence. It can be shortened to a Vita vs. Nanoha fight, then a Signum vs. Fate fight, perhaps.
The only problem with this, is that it was Nanoha's SLB that destroyed the barrier and thus caused the Wolkenritter to retreat. If Vita is holding Nanoha down, then she won't have time to charge it. As was noted before, it was Fate, Arf, and Yuuno holding off Signum, Zafira, and Vita respectively, that allowed Nanoha to charge it.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:43   Link #777
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Yes, capture barriers, ie, preventing people from getting out. Several times we've seen that it is hard to get out of one, but as you noted, it's not that hard getting in. Hell, Yuuno teleported himself and Fate in, directly to Nanoha. And the lightning attack from Shamal was to destroy the barrier. I would presume that slipping inside is a tad bit easier than outright destruction.
Aye, but how much time did it take for Yuuno to do so? That's the kicker. It's a big unknown, which leaves plenty of room for the movie to play with.
Old 2012-05-04, 21:28   Link #778
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

About Signum being in the need to spend a cartridge to enter a barrier it's worth to note that barrier wasn't made by the Wolks. It was a jail barrier made by the combined efforts of 10+ TSAB soldiers whose only purpouse is to mantain the barrier and as such is understandably stronger than a normal one.

Anyway, it doesn't make the scene any less kickass. Signum enter the battlefield and makes sure everyone notices it xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 21:37   Link #779
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
About Signum being in the need to spend a cartridge to enter a barrier it's worth to note that barrier wasn't made by the Wolks. It was a jail barrier made by the combined efforts of 10+ TSAB soldiers whose only purpouse is to mantain the barrier and as such is understandably stronger than a normal one.

Anyway, it doesn't make the scene any less kickass. Signum enter the battlefield and makes sure everyone notices it xD
Yeah I'm calling bullshit. Nowhere in that fight is it said that those soldiers were the ones maintaining the barrier.
Old 2012-05-04, 22:22   Link #780
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Yeah I'm calling bullshit. Nowhere in that fight is it said that those soldiers were the ones maintaining the barrier.
Right at the beginning of the fight to be precise and is literally adressed by Vita and Zafira xDU

The battle starts with Vita and Zafira surrounded by a large bunch of TSAB soldiers but when they're about to attack them they retire and the two point out they're just there to mantain a barrier to prevent the two Wolks from escaping, after that Chrono spams the duo with Stinger Blade - Executing Shift xDU

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote