AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2014-02-15, 19:27   Link #41
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

no, the lack of start menu absolutely messed up my workflow tanked my productivity, as I (and many others) consider putting icon on desktop ruin wallpaper and look bad, I launch all my program from the start menu.
Old 2014-02-16, 00:24   Link #42
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
no, the lack of start menu absolutely messed up my workflow tanked my productivity, as I (and many others) consider putting icon on desktop ruin wallpaper and look bad, I launch all my program from the start menu.
Well, I don't know what your workflow is.

But for me, my workflow is to click on the corner, and search and click on the program I want to run. The layout for the Start Screen might be bigger, but I don't consider that a significant difference. The overall workflow is pretty similar.

Of course, it also helps that the taskbar can also hold more commonly-used programs.

And speaking of my parents, some people also launch programs from the desktop. So again, their workflow there isn't changed much.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 13:54   Link #43
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Next Windows will witness the return of a (hybrid) Start Menu, which will fuse the original SM we've all come to know with the Windows Live Tiles.

Of course, this is only a first blend, so it's still subject to change. Remember the community previews/betas of Windows 7, which first looked like an updated Vista...until MS finally revealed the W7 Glass theme? Nothing's final yet.

EDIT: well, Myerson said "I'm not here to announce the next version of Windows", but I guess it gives us an idea of what may come in the future. And he also announced that W8.1 would be free for devices with screens < 9''.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-04-02 at 14:31.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 18:27   Link #44
Sacredus

I stopped reading this news at first "titles" word. I don't want this thing in any form.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 14:20   Link #45
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Looks like the odd ones will be shit too from now on...
Old 2014-04-03, 22:31   Link #46
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Windows 8 is fine for touchpads, but it doesn't meet the needs of the business Desktop/Laptop that is Windows' bread and butter.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 22:36   Link #47
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Windows XP is officially at its End of Life stages; Microsoft has announced end of support for the 14-year-old operating system.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-support-help
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-12, 23:23   Link #48
AnimeFan188

Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9:

"It’s official, Windows 8 is a write-off . Sales for the operating system have been
poor and now it is even starting to lose market share to Windows 7. To Microsoft
MSFT +0.74%’s credit it has bravely persisted addressing issue after issue. Most
notable was the major Windows 8.1 Update 1 patch released in April which makes
the OS a genuinely credible platform. Still it remains far from perfect and now
Microsoft is prematurely pulling the plug.

In a blog post by Microsoft Senior Marketing Communications Manager Brandon
LeBlanc, he explains that there will be no more major update releases for Windows
8: “despite rumours and speculation, we are not planning to deliver a Windows 8.1
‘Update 2’.”"

See:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...ows-8-updates/

==================================================

Windows 9 set to include Cortana digital assistant:

"Microsoft is preparing to include its Cortana digital assistant in the next major
version of Windows, currently codenamed Threshold. Windows Threshold is
expected to be named Windows 9 when it ships in spring 2015, and sources
familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that Cortana is a major area of
investment for the release. Windows enthusiast site Neowin reported on Cortana
showing up in early Windows Threshold builds, and we understand the current
implementation is only a placeholder during the early stages of development."

See:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/11/59...ortana-feature

Last edited by AnimeFan188; 2014-08-13 at 01:50.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-12, 23:50   Link #49
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

At this point Windows 8 just carries a bad stigma with it despite the fact that 8.1 is superior to windows 7 in all aspects. It is just wise to move a to a new name that doesn't have all the baggage.
Old 2014-08-13, 00:00   Link #50
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
At this point Windows 8 just carries a bad stigma with it despite the fact that 8.1 is superior to windows 7 in all aspects. It is just wise to move a to a new name that doesn't have all the baggage.
A name change would likely be due to a new major version rather than a response to Windows 8. If the next version of Windows is released in 2015, then it looks like Windows is on a new 3-calendar year cycle, with periodic relatively minor updates in between.
Old 2014-08-16, 02:17   Link #51
AnimeFan188

Can't Wait for Windows 9? It Could Be Coming Sooner Than You Think:

"If you upgraded to Windows 8 or 8.1 and want out, there may soon be an
alternative to simply downgrading to Windows 7. Microsoft is reportedly going to
offer pre-release versions of the next major Windows upgrade, currently codenamed
"Threshold," as a public download in the fall of 2014.

ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley reports Microsoft is planning to release the software in late
September or early October. Although there's no official name yet for the release, it's
widely expected to be called Windows 9."

See:

http://mashable.com/2014/08/15/windo...blic-download/

&

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-de...er-7000032668/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-16, 03:21   Link #52
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Quote:
And in a move that signals where Microsoft is heading on the "servicability" front, those who install the tech preview will need to agree to have subsequent monthly updates to it pushed to them automatically, sources added.
An automatic monthly update could be nice.
Old 2014-08-16, 05:38   Link #53
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think that's eluding to "hey you have to pay monthly for your OS"
Old 2014-08-16, 07:47   Link #54
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Currently there are rumors (fueled by an article penned by the aforementioned Mary Jo Foley) that Windows 9 could be free for those who still have the previous versions of Windows. MS is really hard-pressed to get people to ditch what it increasingly perceives as technological eyesores (i.e. XP), so this could go a long way to help boost usage statistics in favor of Threshold/9. If these whisperings are true and that W7SP1 users are eligible for this upgrade (note: you probably can only DL an upgrade DVD and not an actual license [read: serial key] for the full-fledged OS), it could be interesting.

Accompanying those hearsays and speculations is the theory that the "free" part is actually only the barebones OS. If you want additional features such as BitLocker or more multimedia apps (heck, Cortana could even be an optional feature to be bought and DLed separately), you have to open your e-wallet. Sort of like paid DLCs for Windows.
Old 2014-08-16, 09:38   Link #55
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I think that's eluding to "hey you have to pay monthly for your OS"
Well, there is apparently a plan for a subscription option, but just as with Office, a perpetual license option should also remain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Currently there are rumors (fueled by an article penned by the aforementioned Mary Jo Foley) that Windows 9 could be free for those who still have the previous versions of Windows. MS is really hard-pressed to get people to ditch what it increasingly perceives as technological eyesores (i.e. XP), so this could go a long way to help boost usage statistics in favor of Threshold/9. If these whisperings are true and that W7SP1 users are eligible for this upgrade (note: you probably can only DL an upgrade DVD and not an actual license [read: serial key] for the full-fledged OS), it could be interesting.
I can see Windows "9" being free for Windows 8/8.1 users, but being free for Windows 7 users would lose Microsoft a lot of money. I don't think Microsoft could justify that further decrease in revenue, especially with the free and lower cost options that Windows and Windows Phone already have.
Quote:
Accompanying those hearsays and speculations is the theory that the "free" part is actually only the barebones OS. If you want additional features such as BitLocker or more multimedia apps (heck, Cortana could even be an optional feature to be bought and DLed separately), you have to open your e-wallet. Sort of like paid DLCs for Windows.
I doubt Microsoft would hinder Cortana's adoption like that. Microsoft needs Cortana/Bing to be as accessible to people as possible so that the service could improve.
Old 2014-08-16, 14:43   Link #56
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
MS is really hard-pressed to get people to ditch what it increasingly perceives as technological eyesores (i.e. XP)
People are only really using that because they raised the bar way too high on minimum specs with the newer ones (albeit a lot now is just bad taste from vista). What they need to do is build a really really light version (that can run on a steam powered toaster) then build a "Windows 7" on top, so that, like linux, they can sell to the entire spectrum.
Old 2014-08-22, 07:12   Link #57
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Microsoft set to unveil Windows 9 on September 30th
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Verge
Microsoft is planning to unveil its Windows 8 successor next month at a special press event. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the software maker is tentatively planning its press event for September 30th to detail upcoming changes to Windows as part of a release codenamed "Threshold." This date may change, but the Threshold version of Windows is currently in development and Microsoft plans to release a preview version of what will likely be named Windows 9 to developers on September 30th or shortly afterwards. The date follows recent reports from ZDNet that suggested Microsoft is planning to release a preview version of Windows 9 in late September or early October.

The early technology preview will give developers a first look at the new mini Start Menu in Windows 9, alongside the removal of the Charms bar feature and several UI changes. Microsoft is currently compiling builds of Threshold ready for the preview that include an early version of Cortana, but it’s not clear if this particular feature will be made available as part of the technology preview.

While Threshold is likely to be named Windows 9, it’s unlikely that Microsoft will name its upcoming Windows release at its press event. Instead, Microsoft is said to be planning an overview of key new features of the upcoming operating system, with a technical preview ready for developers and enthusiasts. Microsoft is also building a separate combined version of Windows RT and Windows Phone, and the company may take the time to detail this work during its press event. Either way, Microsoft’s next version of Windows is nearing completion and the company will be ready to talk more about it next month.
>> Link <<

...That was fast. Well, the technology preview version will probably be a baseline Windows 8.5, with the big changes and cosmetic evolution being held back until the actual public beta, just like they did for the W7 beta a few years ago.
Old 2014-08-22, 07:33   Link #58
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

just for note it fit with 3 years cycle that window have

Quote:

3.1: April 1992
95: August 1995
98: May 1998
Me: September 2000
XP: August 2001
Vista: November 2006
7: July 2009
8: August 2012
2015 will be fitting place to released win 9

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 14:25   Link #59
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
People are only really using that because they raised the bar way too high on minimum specs with the newer ones (albeit a lot now is just bad taste from vista). What they need to do is build a really really light version (that can run on a steam powered toaster) then build a "Windows 7" on top, so that, like linux, they can sell to the entire spectrum.
What they need to do is make it so when I upgrade my OS, I don't have to reinstall EVERYTHING, lose all my drivers, passwords, ids, programs, etc. It's the only reason I refuse to update.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-25, 15:11   Link #60
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
What they need to do is make it so when I upgrade my OS, I don't have to reinstall EVERYTHING, lose all my drivers, passwords, ids, programs, etc. It's the only reason I refuse to update.
Windows has an upgrade option that retains most files and settings.