AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2007-04-10, 12:32   Link #201
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah, its a shame how they are, they're not print-out worthy. We're gonna have to wait for something a bit more official --- please Gainax. :3
Which makes me wonder, since they have such big prints of those artworks, it wouldn't be unusual to expect an artbook from this serie, if it'll have enough success. I'd probably buy it, if it's not overly expensive, as well as the R2 DVDs (although I do hope they won't be as expensive as Diebuster's ones ).
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 12:56   Link #202
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Which makes me wonder, since they have such big prints of those artworks, it wouldn't be unusual to expect an artbook from this serie, if it'll have enough success. I'd probably buy it, if it's not overly expensive, as well as the R2 DVDs (although I do hope they won't be as expensive as Diebuster's ones ).
I can't wait to see what the cover art shall be like for the DVD's, can already imagine just how epic they'll be. & yeah, i can see an artbook appearing sometime in the future, along with... PVC YOKO. <333
Old 2007-04-10, 14:21   Link #203
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
I can't wait to see what the cover art shall be like for the DVD's, can already imagine just how epic they'll be. & yeah, i can see an artbook appearing sometime in the future, along with... PVC YOKO. <333
There was already an artbook doujinshi, called Doodle Drill, from Gainax themselves... well, it's mostly a groundwork with various illustrators takes on the characters, mostly featuring Yoko of course. :P

Some of the images from that little manga, some of them look amazing, behind the spoiler for being big:

Spoiler:

Also, this appeared on this month's Japanese NewType:

I just LOVE Sushio.

(Edit: I forgot to thank Manuloz and Otaking for the images)
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 14:38   Link #204
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I didn't know about that groundwork artbook, thanks for the information, 7th. I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy of that sooner or later.
Old 2007-04-10, 14:44   Link #205
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Love those Yoko sketches, they're really awesome (and hot). Sushio's artwork has great line work, full of energy. I also like his designs for Kissdum (one of the reasons why I'm happy to persist with that particular show, despite the rough 1st effort).

Thanks for posting them 7th
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 16:12   Link #206
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I just like to say that 7Th is my new hero, you'll get a cookie for that. :3

As for that Newtype mention, May issue i take it? *is ready to make a order*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I didn't know about that groundwork artbook, thanks for the information, 7th. I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy of that sooner or later.
You'll have to keep me informed with that --- wouldn't mind a copy for myself.
Old 2007-04-10, 19:40   Link #207
outlaw97

Diebuster had groundwork books for each episode, and while they were quite detailed, it was completely rough black and white sketches. I sincerely hope they release a regular one with color illustrations and whatnot.

Although, if not from Gainax, I'm pretty sure Newtype or Animage will release a version of their own.

Is that Yoko in a seifuku I see? *dies*
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 19:56   Link #208
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Penetrate Heaven with your Drill

I have been looking forward to this series, since it was announced at the start of the winter season last year.

This show has an entertaining charm which production values rely between the characters and the robots.

I feel that Gurren Lagaan is sort of a lighthearted spoof to the giant robots genre, but amounting the fact that it is actually a refreshing approach to the genre.

The three main casts resemble more of oddball heroes. The type that it gets dragged into this big mess, and they just decide to stick together because all of them the coolest combination ever spawned on Earth. Anything unlike the adventure drama where types of characters like those would usually meet together by means of fate.

But that's OK. The way how the animation and the mecha was designed gives a friendly approach for the viewers to come and witness for themselves hilarity well complimented within serious action.

I am just speaking to myself and not on behalf of anybody else at the thread that we were witness to the birth of the walking-head robots genre.

Simon, the shy boy who thinks of himself not being a big shot on life.

Yoko, the realistic girl who speaks as the voice of common sense for the trio; many gags will revolve around the bounciness of her boobs.

Kamina, well he is the man who has the coolest sunglasses when he puts them on.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 20:01   Link #209
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I have been looking forward to this series, since it was announced at the start of the winter season last year.
Actually, i believe it was announced July 2006.
Old 2007-04-10, 20:30   Link #210
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Actually, i believe it was announced July 2006.
It was... also, the poster girl's design has been out for a long time by now, I don't think she's the Nia Imaishi talked about but will probably be relevant.

Old 2007-04-11, 01:31   Link #211
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I can't manage to find that sketchbook even at yahoo japan auctions. It was most likely distributed in limited copies at some fair or event in Japan. >_<;
Old 2007-04-11, 01:32   Link #212
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
It was... also, the poster girl's design has been out for a long time by now, I don't think she's the Nia Imaishi talked about but will probably be relevant.

Now that I see her design, she looks like a hybrid of Melody and Nadia
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 05:49   Link #213
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
Which sub group are you cool kats using?
Old 2007-04-11, 07:26   Link #214
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie View Post
I went with ADTRW --- not tried the others yet, though i do plan to soon.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2007-04-11 at 08:47.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 08:38   Link #215
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie View Post
AiA-IZ have the best translation, Nyoro the best video quality... although they didn't encoded anything and just used the 500mb raw directly.
Old 2007-04-11, 14:23   Link #216
7Th
Mixtape

New, but small and low quality, scans from the May NewType:

I wonder what the character chart says...

Also, new animation groundwork uploaded to Gainax's webpage. I was hoping for Mori's explosion but this particular scene was also really well done:

http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/gurren-lagann/oni_r.html
Old 2007-04-11, 14:26   Link #217
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Holy hell thats awesome artwork --- ordering May's issue has to be done right this second. :3
Old 2007-04-11, 14:42   Link #218
Kusaja

Honestly, I had absolutely no real interest in this series when I first heard about it. In fact, I had almost forgotten it even existed by now.

But it seems I was rather wrong, at least as far as the first episode is concerned. It's a well directed, fun ride and it's got me interested enough. The characters aren't anything special, but they fulfill their roles quite nicely.

Waiting for episode two before I can say much more though...I'm still not expecting anything too out of the ordinary, so far, but simply a good super robot / adventure show that can keep me entertained.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 15:30   Link #219
bluerogue
PEWPEW LASER SWORDMASTER

Send a message via AIM to bluerogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
Honestly, I had absolutely no real interest in this series when I first heard about it. In fact, I had almost forgotten it even existed by now.

But it seems I was rather wrong, at least as far as the first episode is concerned. It's a well directed, fun ride and it's got me interested enough. The characters aren't anything special, but they fulfill their roles quite nicely.

Waiting for episode two before I can say much more though...I'm still not expecting anything too out of the ordinary, so far, but simply a good super robot / adventure show that can keep me entertained.
Exactly what some said about code geass when it first started...

I've seen episode two, the talent behind the show makes me believe it can only get better. Hopefully it'll incorporate flcl's level of deepness and use funny, ambiguous two faced metaphors in it's story.

Yoko = MIKURU TIER FANSERVICE
bluerogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 07:36   Link #220
7Th
Mixtape

Gurren-Lagann's blog is really awesome; their artworks for today are excellent, full of style, charisma and obviously, as with most things featuring Yoko, a really urban sexiness.