AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 12 25.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 19.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-31, 04:59   Link #121
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Wait... Vyse is dead? What the hell!

I take a break from this series only to find out Vyse is dead? What the hell is the anime staff smoking?
It could be their way of saying we'll never see a sequel to Skies of Arcadia...

Repent! Repent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Welkin does know that Alicia has feelings for him. He's just being held back because he knows that Faldio's in love with Alicia, and he wants to preserve the friendship. The point here is that Welkin's doing precisely the wrong thing, and that the final decision isn't really his to make. But that's where the drama is supposed to derive from.

Personally, I'm don't think that this particular treatment is executed as well as it could have been, but it's farfetched to claim that it's entirely without merit. Whether you happen to like it or not, is a different matter.
I'm talking more along the lines of in episode sixteen how he tells Alicia to be Faldio even if he is aware of her feelings but then wonders why she acts so cold to him in the following episode.

Right now I'm just getting into the brace position for the total train wreck that is surely to come.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-07-31, 10:31   Link #122
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post

Repent! Repent!

I'm talking more along the lines of in episode sixteen how he tells Alicia to be Faldio even if he is aware of her feelings but then wonders why she acts so cold to him in the following episode.

Right now I'm just getting into the brace position for the total train wreck that is surely to come.
Even after Largo's talk with him, he still acts completely retarded.

This is not the Welkin I know.
Old 2009-07-31, 10:49   Link #123
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Even after Largo's talk with him, he still acts completely retarded.
It doesn't mean he completely ignored Largo's story, though it looks like he only really listened to the part about losing a close friend. See the way Welkin sees it, if he ignores his feelings for Alicia, then he can be friends with both of them.

How it's being presented is just so awful though.
Old 2009-07-31, 11:02   Link #124
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It doesn't mean he completely ignored Largo's story, though it looks like he only really listened to the part about losing a close friend. See the way Welkin sees it, if he ignores his feelings for Alicia, then he can be friends with both of them.

I'm sorry, but he was never like this in the game. He wouldn't just focus on that aspect of the conversation. Dare I say it, he was better than this.

And does he not see that what he's doing now, by ignoring Alicia, is just making things worse? How retarded can they make him?

Ahhh I'm just getting so pissed off all over again at the script writers. Give me five minutes with them and they'd wish they were never born.
Old 2009-07-31, 11:04   Link #125
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I'm sorry, but he was never like this in the game. He wouldn't just focus on that aspect of the conversation. Dare I say it, he was better than this.
When did i ever say he was like this in the game? I know he's not, i'm also a game player.

It's pretty damn obvious that this isn't the game Welkin we're seeing, and it hasn't been for a good while now, so there's no need in comparing the two.

Don't go and rant at me when i was just giving an explanation regarding anime Welkin.
Old 2009-07-31, 11:37   Link #126
4Tran

Quote:
That's a very common way of showing that the "honorable sacrifice" move was boneheaded . Slightly more seriously, I do see this kind of storytelling a lot, and I've never been entirely satisfied with it.
Old 2009-07-31, 12:25   Link #127
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Wait... Vyse is dead? What the hell!

I take a break from this series only to find out Vyse is dead? What the hell is the anime staff smoking?
he's been dead for like 4 episodes now....
seriously the anime staff is compiled by a bunch of douche bags....

17+ episodes wasted on crap.... when they could had...

- developed welkin& alicia's feelings even more.... instead of giving us this needless horrible suposedly love triangle.

- Go into more detail with mama boy maximilian and his relationship with selvaria
- side stories involving the squad 7 would had been great and would had taken up some episodes for the better... instead of the crap they have given us. God knows it would serve it's purpose as they wouldn't have to draw any of the battles as it seems they are reluctant to do.
- more on rosie&lsara&lsara's dream
- Zaka where did you go? hello? hellooo? helloooo where did you go
- Juno would had made a more realistic love triangle candidate.....
- wtf is Jane? oh well good thing she didn't show up.... cuz she would either...

a) Just stand in the background and do nothing...
b) get randomly killed like Vyse...

Last edited by Manji Midou; 2009-07-31 at 12:35.
Old 2009-07-31, 12:31   Link #128
kujoe
from head to heel

It's quite unfortunate, I think.

There is truly nothing wrong with how Welkin and Faldio are portrayed in the game. Sure, nothing totally mind-blowing or totally innovative in terms of character development and storytelling, but the whole thing is something one can appreciate and find appealing.

The anime on the other hand, seemed to try to improve these characters and breathe new life into them by tweaking the story and their roles. But by doing so, they've "improved" Faldio's character by lessening the qualities the other. Is someone in the staff playing favourites? A botched, miscalculated attempt at upping the drama perhaps? Whatever.

Now we're not done with this series yet, and things could change in the coming episodes as the story continues to unfold itself, but whoever thought of this as a good idea is a complete and utter moron. Why would you diminish the qualities that have made the original good in the first place? That's not a good way of adapting things in my opinion.

I tend to hate this aspect of anime adaptations, which is why I'm often quite the purist when it comes to this matter. And all those people who have been saying that anime shouldn't strictly follow their original material thinking that such direct adaptations boring or stupid, are missing the point entirely. It's about direction, about being faithful to the spirit of the original work, and not about keeping every detail intact and unchanged. The best adaptations are those that can follow the original material while improving on things on areas where it can—while maintaining the integrity of the original (e.g., Black Lagoon's "Terminator maid" episode).

Unfortunately, Valkyria Chronicles isn't one of these. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that Isara even died. I fgured that Ramal's inclusion in the anime was the first step in changing this part of the story.

Bah. Long rant is long. I have no idea why I even wrote this all of a sudden.

Quote:
SEGA has been terminally ill for some time now apparently. Look at what happened to Sonic...

But yeah, as a Skies fan, I found this particular turn of events disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
he's been dead for like 4 episodes now....
seriously the anime staff is compiled by a bunch of douche bags....
Like I said, I've temporarily stopped following the episodes. Don't have the time and all that. I'm planning to marathon the series in sets when it's finally complete.
Old 2009-07-31, 12:36   Link #129
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'm planning to marathon the series in sets when it's finally complete.
Why would you do such a thing?

Marathoning this must be a lot more painful then watching it each week.
Old 2009-07-31, 12:40   Link #130
kujoe
from head to heel

I'm the type of guy who likes to get it over and done with, rather than prolonging my agony.
Old 2009-07-31, 12:41   Link #131
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Why would you do such a thing?

Marathoning this must be a lot more painful then watching it each week.
Side effects of doing a marathon on this would be getting diabetes from all the stress and negative mixed emotions you would get from episode to episode...
Old 2009-07-31, 13:40   Link #132
twisted-pisces
Shadow girl

Okay, long post here -

My vote is Isara is in a coma, near death and part of the episode is the famous anime "quest to magically save our fallen friend!" the blanket with flowers is like getting flowers in the hospital. If she was dead the preview would have more black shades in it in my opinion, and they wouldn't have Ramal. maybe in her weak state they have him whisk her away to someplace to heal, so it's less sad but yes, they are out of the anime. Animes are known for not following the story lines of the games/manga they are based on anyway.
I haven't plaied the game, so the anime might be a bit more enjoyable for me since I don't have anything to compare it too
Old 2009-07-31, 21:15   Link #133
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
I'm the type of guy who likes to get it over and done with, rather than prolonging my agony.
im sorry but i just burst out laughing i know what you meant but the dirty side of my brain just took over
Old 2009-07-31, 22:17   Link #134
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Welkin does know that Alicia has feelings for him. He's just being held back because he knows that Faldio's in love with Alicia, and he wants to preserve the friendship. The point here is that Welkin's doing precisely the wrong thing, and that the final decision isn't really his to make. But that's where the drama is supposed to derive from.
That's ridiculous! Unless told otherwise in common sense, it's Alicia who can give Welkin a possible future ahead (wife, kids, a home, etc.). If it's drama the writers wanted, they know they could have more if the Welkin/Faldio friendship was strained because of one woman and to turn into something bitter. It's classic and it works every single time in movies.

Quote:

Oh, come on! Anybody would understand that Largo meant this: not being true to your feelings even if friendship stands in the way, will leave everyone unhappy rather than limiting unhappiness. When a dilemma says you have to sacrifice something, anybody usually picks the lesser evil after weighting advantages and disadvantages of both decisions. Anyway, all I can say is that Welkin was totally misjudging the situation before taking a decision here.

Awful is not the right word. It was gobshite instead.
Old 2009-08-01, 03:34   Link #135
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Oh, come on! Anybody would understand that Largo meant this: not being true to your feelings even if friendship stands in the way, will leave everyone unhappy rather than limiting unhappiness. When a dilemma says you have to sacrifice something, anybody usually picks the lesser evil after weighting advantages and disadvantages of both decisions. Anyway, all I can say is that Welkin was totally misjudging the situation before taking a decision here.

Yeah i know all this. I wasn't standing up for Welkin, i was just explaining to the people who said he didn't take anything from Largo's story.
Old 2009-08-01, 03:37   Link #136
Snowman24

I'm kind of hoping that Isara died right as soon as she hit the ground for this latest episode last Saturday...I'm not prepared for a long, drawn out goodbye if it happens tomorrow

don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Isara fan, even more so after seeing her in the Anime. She's about the only reason I've watched the anime up till now, I hate how they "adapted" it from the game. But still I watched cuz I could count on Isara having lots of cool, cute, powerful moments...now waht
Old 2009-08-01, 04:09   Link #137
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post

I think he is not capable of judging at this point. In fact I am doubting if he is capable of thinking at all. They should have locked up that retarded emo long time ago. Faldio seems like a better leader anyway even if he thinks first with his lower regions rather than is brains. But at least he thinks. Welkin on the other hand has still yet to discover this miraculous event called thinking.
Closed Thread