Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2004-06-30, 02:57   Link #1
Neu Zeelander
Dingo, not Bingo!

problem with playback

Um.... i got the naruto (anbu-aone) on a cd from my mate

windows media player 9 and winamp wont play the file for some reason.. winamp has the sound for eps 77-89, but wont play the sound for some at all.
wmp9 just comes up with 'unknown error' (Thanks microsoft!)

but with the latest version of VLan it plays right up to 5 or 6 minutes, then stops.

SOMEBODY HELP ME!!! (not you god. you like apple. i like windows.)

when i open VLan, it comes up with a riched20.dll error.... ???wtf???
Old 2004-06-30, 03:02   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Through much trial and error, we have found a simple and quick solution that will fix at least 98% of all problems that we see. I expect it will work on your problem as well.

Uninstall all your codecs. Trust me. All of them:
Uninstall DivX.
Uninstall XviD.
Uninstall ffdshow.
Especially uninstall any Codec packs, They are Evil!

Download and install ffdshow. You'll find it listed as [Level 1] on the Media Configuration Guide.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-06-30, 03:05   Link #3
Neu Zeelander
Dingo, not Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Through much trial and error, we have found a simple and quick solution that will fix at least 98% of all problems that we see. I expect it will work on your problem as well.

Uninstall DivX.
Uninstall XviD.
Uninstall ffdshow.
Especially uninstall any Codec packs, They are Evil!

Download and install ffdshow. You'll find it listed as [Level 1] on the Media Configuration Guide.

umm.. thanks for the help so far :P but codec packs? how do i go about uninstalling them? (they are evil? ph34r....)
Old 2004-06-30, 03:13   Link #4
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Edit: Well I guess I took a little too long to post that.

Anyway to answer the new question:

Open your start menu and choose Run, type "appwiz.cpl", and hit enter.

Scroll down untill you find the item you want to remove, select it and press "Change/Remove".

PS: I still dont like ffdshow, now matter how many people think it's great.
Old 2004-07-11, 18:48   Link #5
Elfloard2

Even though I got rid of all the codecs and reinstalled it still wont work

I uninstalled all the codecs and installed ffshow and it still wont play and I know the file isnt corrupted because I re downloaded the file like the forums say so what now? I have windows media play. Once I get ffshow do I have to do something? perhaps enable it or something simular to that?
Old 2004-07-12, 01:02   Link #6
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

The only thing you have to do to make ffdshow work is to install it. Make sure you are using the lastest version of ffdshow recommended in the Media Configuration Guide. If Window Media Player isn't working for you then please try using Media Player Classic. If you are still having trouble then please tell us exactly what error you are getting. Is there an error message? Do you get sound? In what way does it fail to play?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-07-21, 01:13   Link #7
EvilDarknessLord

"Through much trial and error, we have found a simple and quick solution that will fix at least 98% of all problems that we see. I expect it will work on your problem as well.

Uninstall DivX.
Uninstall XviD.
Uninstall ffdshow.
Especially uninstall any Codec packs, They are Evil!"

do u have to uninstall the video player too? like real player or quicktime or windows media player? cuz i think i have a player named divx, and when u said to uninstall it, does that mean i have to uninstall it and the other players in order to remove all of my codecs?! or do u mean divx's codec that it come with? and if thats the case, then does the other players (windows media player, quicktime, etc.) have their own codecs that i have to uninstall? how can i uninstall the other players codec (i kno how to do it for divx, but for the other players the codec doesnt show up in the add/remove list thingy)?
Old 2004-07-21, 02:03   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

You don't have to uninstall the players, but the DivX player comes packaged with the DivX codec so you can uninstall it along with the codec. I'd recommend that you do unistall that player since it is one of the worst players out there. You can leave realplayer and quicktime alone though.

Old 2004-07-25, 16:21   Link #9
EvilDarknessLord

o ok alrite thx but is divx really that bad? i dled ep 64 of naruto and it was the only player that was able to play that episode.

o and 1 more question... if u dled a codec (the divx codec), does it only work for divx or for all the other players u have (quicktime, realplayer, windows media player)? cuz i dled the divx codec and i could only play ep 64 in divx, but not in any other player.
Old 2004-07-25, 17:01   Link #10
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDarknessLord
if u dled a codec (the divx codec), does it only work for divx or for all the other players u have (quicktime, realplayer, windows media player)?
It works for any media player that uses Direct Show Filters. Windows Media Player does for sure. It doesnt appear to work for Real Player and I dont have Quicktime Player. Just go for Media Player Classic and save yourself a lot of time and hassle.
Old 2004-07-25, 18:45   Link #11
EvilDarknessLord

alrite thx

but wats a direct show filter?

and if it also works for window media player how come it (the window media player) cant play naruto ep 64 but divx can?
Old 2004-07-25, 19:57   Link #12
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
but wats a direct show filter?

and if it also works for window media player how come it (the window media player) cant play naruto ep 64 but divx can?
These websites can kind of explain it.
DirectShow Filters
DirectShow Filters

As for you second question, the Dvix Player would obviously prefer to decode any .avi file with it's own codec. Sort of like the makes of PineSol wouldn't mop their floors with Mr.Clean. However, some other decoder probably has precidence over the Divx codec in Windows Media Player. You can fix most if not all of these problems by uninstalling any Codec Packs (IE Nemo, KLite) you have installed and installling ffdshow-alpha. If you have WindowsXP, my post above (the one with the picture) explains how to uninstall things.
Old 2004-07-26, 19:18   Link #13
EvilDarknessLord

alrite thx it helped alot.

but for the second question, i cant find any codec to uninstall in the add/remove program list (unless macromedia shockwave player or shockwave is one). unless one (or both) of those two are codecs, i cant find any codecs in the list.

when i tried the mediaconfiguration guide (lvl3 and any other codecs that is a .zip or .rar) i had to put it in system32 in my file and run cmd and installed it (or something) thru the cmd thingy, but it doesnt appear on the add/remove list. how can i tell that i dont have one of those codec, since it doesnt appear on the list?
Old 2004-07-26, 19:42   Link #14
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Quote:
how can i tell that i dont have one of those codec, since it doesnt appear on the list?
If it's not listed in the Add or Remove Program Dialog box, you'll need a special program like graphedit or AVIcodec to tell you which ones you have installed. You can manually uninstall the .dll or .ax files which house the filter using the following command issued at a command prompt or run box:

%windir%\system32\regsvr32.exe /u %windir%\system32\<filename>.<extention>

Also, if you feel you have too many codecs installed (hell, I probably have too many installed), you can use the Last Resort Guide to clear your filters off. The only real disadvantage of using this guide is you have to reinstall all your media players.

Last edited by KeinikuSuki; 2004-07-27 at 00:06.
Old 2004-07-26, 20:44   Link #15
EvilDarknessLord

alrite thx, it helped alot.

p.s. ur link to the last resort wasnt the rite link, but i found out wat it was anyways thru the search button.
Old 2004-07-31, 08:55   Link #16
anime_fan

is media player classic and VLC really so good? Why is everyone recommending them? I have downloaded sailor stars and tried playing the files but the sound always comes before the video. In the end, i tried using DivX tp play and it turns out well? why is it so??