AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-02, 09:38   Link #1
takalina

Question japanese-english subs

i don't know much japanese, but sometimes i pick up a few words here and there if i hear/see them a lot in the animes.

because of that, sometimes i find the subs distracting. i wish i could have a way to "turn off" parts of the subs - only the ones i know, so i can focus on the anime more.

is anyone else like that? does anyone else feel the same way?
takalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:52   Link #2
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Oh, I understand a good deal of the Japanese spoken in anime, especially in most slice-of-life series. I don't have a problem with the subs for the dialogue being there, and when I actually understand what the characters are saying (it's rare, but it happens), I simply don't look at the subs at the bottom.

What bugs me is a lot of karaoke text, especially for insert songs. I think that insert songs (and probably subs for OPs and EDs as well) should only have the English translation displayed, or else the karaoke for the romaji and kana/kanji obscures way too much of the screen, especially when something important is happening. If fansubbers want to include the subs for the romaji and kanji for the sake of completeness, they can just put them in a separate subtitle track. I remember watching a certain fansub of Aria the Natural (licensed now) episode 9 that had all three subtitles for the English translation of an insert song, the romaji, and the kana/kanji, PLUS the subs at the bottom for the dialogue. And all subs were fairly large in size, with the subs for the karaoke having extremely distracting visual effects. I could probably see only 60% of the screen. It really turned me off at the time.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 12:48   Link #3
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
What bugs me is a lot of karaoke text, especially for insert songs. I think that insert songs (and probably subs for OPs and EDs as well) should only have the English translation displayed, or else the karaoke for the romaji and kana/kanji obscures way too much of the screen, especially when something important is happening.
Fucking THIS.

It's especially bad whenever fansubbers try to impress with fancy, colorful animated karaoke that you just can't ignore even if you want to. I want to see the damn anime, not have my eyes involuntarily drawn towards the "awesome" animated text people have plastered all over it.
Goggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 12:53   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh.... these are good reasons to learn to use Aegisub so you can tune fansubs to your liking and fix those dialog lines to your liking or whatever. Good etiquette to note you've modified it in the credits though.
Old 2011-10-02, 15:11   Link #5
Random32
Also a Lolicon

you can always use Aegis sub or the sub editing program of your choice to edit the subs away where you don't want them.

I would personally prefer Japanese subtitles along with the English ones. I generally read subtitles even though I can understand a fair bit to most of what they are saying, its just my personal preference of text over speech. The only use for the voices is to convey emotion imho, they could be just saying random words for all I care as long as they put emotion into them. My preference of reading for meaning instead of listening doesn't help my understanding of Japanese if I'm reading English though, so it would be nice if I could also read the subtitles in Japanese.

My ideal anime watching.

So sorta like how many groups do karaoke for videos, but for everything. And the subtitles have no reason to be obscuring the video. I have more vertical pixels than HD, actually take advantage of the existence of black bars.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 08:06   Link #6
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

There are very few situations where I found the sub too distracting, so when I don't want to/need to read them, I just ignore them and mostly it's fine.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 03:06   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Sorry to say this but, I've seen this format when watching an anime's opening song and I say "I can't focus which to look at while listening, top, middle or down. Headache.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 15:51   Link #8
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I think the OP/ED with everything get annoying since they are all animated and flashy. There were a few series that I watched that just had the kanji/kana, romaji, and the english translation normal and I really liked that. Forgot which series by which sub groups though...
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, subtitles