AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 3 5.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 8.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 20.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 16.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 22.03%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 13.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.39%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-02-05, 11:26   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 18 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, Episode 18.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 12:05   Link #2
cubicjack
Kino fanboy

Another side character development episode. It does refer to Child Errors and touch on the earthquakes which will apparently become an issue later on, but overall, nothing outstanding.
cubicjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 20:54   Link #3
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
PIZZA HUT IS BACK!!!

& whats with anime these days having a KINTERGARDEN episode, but minus Kobato & Hanamaru Youchien?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 20:57   Link #4
Midonin
Last Engage

So Kuroko thinks that the dorm supervisor might have a lover named Marco. I imagine him to be a sarcastic and bookish type.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 21:24   Link #5
BlueDo

I swear, if the anime doesn't end with a bang, I'll be sorely disappointed with the whole thing.

Holding on to a glimmer of hope now.
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 21:36   Link #6
McMilk
*Artist

I'm just glad that there's more of Kuroko and Mikoto. It was also nice to see some character development in the dorm mistress. And, lol, is it just me or is Pizza Hut appearing in a lot of anime nowadays?
Old 2010-02-05, 21:38   Link #7
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i was so confused at the beginning of this ep. i thought i had missed out the last ep cause it was so dramatic. haha..

anyways, i do think there is such as thing as too old, like with the caretaker.. but oh well.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 21:40   Link #8
ReddyRedWolf

Holy! Is Kuroko dead? Mikoto is frozen in fear.

Damn that Dorm Manager is scary!
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 23:14   Link #9
Neoman15M

Spoiler for :
Neoman15M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 23:49   Link #10
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I decided to nickname the Dorm Manager as 'Harimako' (from School Rumble, of course). Throughout the entire episode, I was reminded of Harima: Her glasses, her marriage delusion, her 'moratta!!', etc etc. But still, I prefer to see developments of the main characters... All the good stuff the series had going the first half of the season seems to be nowhere in sight.
Old 2010-02-06, 00:48   Link #11
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

These filler episodes are fun. Though I don't like dragging storylines, but these fillers are incredibly hilarious!

Next up, MEIDO RAILGUN!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 01:13   Link #12
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Definitely a lot better than the previous episode. Not much content, but good fun. In other words, fine with me.
Though it was kind of embarrassing seeing the dorm manager get her hopes up only to be shot down at the last moment. And all because the guy she liked was aiming for an... old lady.
Ehhhhhhhh~~~!!??

Next time is Maid!

PS: I had a good laugh seeing the community level for Ruiko finally surpassing Mikoto on NicoNicoDouga. And to think Ruiko was barely known before the anime started... Staff, GJ!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 02:00   Link #13
HandofFate

So...are Child Errors just what they call orphaned kids?
Old 2010-02-06, 02:14   Link #14
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I never really gave Kuroko much thought back in Index, her simple role as a side character was very little, so couldn't really say anything about her.
With that I didn't give her much thought going into this series, it was really all about Biribiri but with every passing ep I just fall more and more in love Kuroko, she's simply a awesome character that hits all the right buttons.
It's odd as her individual traits would all be stuff I don't really like but they all come together really well here.
Her going 180 about Dormitory Supervisor-sama was quite nice and made for a pleasant watch.
As simple and cliche as this ep is, I still very much enjoyed it.

I'm so glad I decided to start watching this when it got to ep 8, I was actually gonna wait till it finished airing before watching it, been a great watch so far.

Really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really looking forward to next ep!!!
Old 2010-02-06, 02:25   Link #15
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Good Episode, i gave 7/10

But why does Kuroko need to brake the dorm rules by beeing late, when she can just teleport into her room without any1 noticing...

Spoiler for final plot speculation:
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 02:55   Link #16
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Kuroko had no time to react at all.
Spoiler for ep18 cap:
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 03:23   Link #17
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

I enjoyed this episode until the twist ending...
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 03:34   Link #18
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
The thing I admire about Railgun is that it seems to be able to do everything. When shows can't decide whether or not it wants to be action, comedy, or slice of life, I get annoyed, because I don't feel like it has found its identity. But Railgun managed to do all of the above and more, all the while retaining its special feel, making it truly multi-dimensional without any awkwardness. In a sense, the anime is a novelty, because I never thought I would be so consistently entertained by an anime that switches its genre every 2-3 episodes. There's really nothing else to say about this episode except that it was a very nice "feel-good" episode that I felt was really worth my time watching.

The plot itself is new yet old. We're already seen series trying to explore all of its characters, such as Index. But in contrast to Index, Railgun makes these side characters seem interesting and relevant, and it does so by not involving them into an overall main, confusing plot. They may have some connection to the overall picture, but we're given just enough information on them so that they are memorable yet not part of the main focus. So in a sense, they have their own mini-plots. This episode would have been really unique if everything worked out in the end, because we rarely see a comedic "set-up" that actually ends well. But it didn't matter here, because I was both impressed with Daigo's courage and the dorm supervisor's reaction. I expected emo, anger, disappointment, and saw none of that. In effect the episode presented the dorm supervisor as mean and strict, then showed her "real side" which is nice and caring, but ends the episode with who she really is, someone who understands others. This subtle surprise at the end is what made this episode shine and its main focus memorable.

Aside from the plot, there were some notable character interactions that further explore the relationship of our main characters. Not once this episode did Mikoto zap Kuroko, and the opening scene even shows that Mikoto was feeling sorry for what was happening to Kuroko. Then, it showed that Mikoto followed Kuroko's plans earnestly although slightly hesitantly, which is really one of the few times that Railgun hints at what lengths Mikoto would go to for Kuroko. Speaking of Kuroko, she continues to impress. While Mikoto is, in my opinion, one of the few perfect protagonists in anime, Kuroko plays a more crucial role of giving Railgun a different feel than Index. She is truly what makes Railgun unique, and in this episode she showed her jocular personality in a very entertaining way.

But Railgun already played with our minds from the get-go. I've always wanted to know why someone so facetious would be in Judgement. And while this may be partially answered, I'm really looking to find out everything about Kuroko. And when I have such a feeling about an anime, I would have to say that it is special.

This episode fully deserves a 10/10 from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I never really gave Kuroko much thought back in Index, her simple role as a side character was very little, so couldn't really say anything about her.
With that I didn't give her much thought going into this series, it was really all about Biribiri but with every passing ep I just fall more and more in love Kuroko, she's simply a awesome character that hits all the right buttons.
I completely agree.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 05:15   Link #19
MaxMaximilianMaximus

Send a message via Yahoo to MaxMaximilianMaximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDo View Post
I swear, if the anime doesn't end with a bang, I'll be sorely disappointed with the whole thing.

Holding on to a glimmer of hope now.
Oh yes it will (according to the OP)
MaxMaximilianMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 06:58   Link #20
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
There's nothing wrong with doing episodes focused on side characters.

Provided they're done well.

I'm making a stong, conscious effort not to delve into how I thought about this episode. Because if I did, I'd be unable to avoid typing up a long, massive, negative rant about it. Suffice it to say, not so good. Kuroko's comedic antics are what saved the episode for me.

6/10