AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-21, 18:05   Link #621
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Quantum Physics is indeed fun. Things like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle... Quantum Entanglement... I have a feeling Haruhi will enjoy them as they are very unintuitive and out of this world.
I disagree. Haruhi wants weirdness at its most obvious and personal. She's not interested in the cosmos; she wants ALIENS. She isn't looking for clairvoyance or telekinesis; she wants ESPERS. She doesn't want to hear about relativistic effects; she wants TIME TRAVELERS. Quantum mechanics are much too vague (or at least too irrelevant) for Haruhi to care about them, IMO.
Old 2011-01-21, 22:52   Link #622
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I disagree. Haruhi wants weirdness at its most obvious and personal. She's not interested in the cosmos; she wants ALIENS. She isn't looking for clairvoyance or telekinesis; she wants ESPERS. She doesn't want to hear about relativistic effects; she wants TIME TRAVELERS. Quantum mechanics are much too vague (or at least too irrelevant) for Haruhi to care about them, IMO.
Mmmmkay... I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously. We were just have friendly banter there.
Old 2011-01-21, 23:23   Link #623
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Mmmmkay... I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously. We were just have friendly banter there.
I think Gamer_2k4 put it in a comical way
Old 2011-01-22, 03:31   Link #624
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Quote:
I think Gamer_2k4 put it in a comical way
I didn't intend to be comical, but then, I didn't intend to rain on your banter parade, either. I guess your reaction just confuses me. Your "friendly banter" was two posts amidst a mass of serious discussion (both IN FAVOR of said serious discussion), so I don't think I was really out of line by reacting seriously.
Old 2011-01-22, 04:12   Link #625
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
I didn't intend to be comical, but then, I didn't intend to rain on your banter parade, either. I guess your reaction just confuses me. Your "friendly banter" was two posts amidst a mass of serious discussion (both IN FAVOR of said serious discussion), so I don't think I was really out of line by reacting seriously.
Ah, sorry for misinterpreting it.
Old 2011-01-22, 04:17   Link #626
revive4563

btw Hooves is everywhere, really...:
Old 2011-01-22, 10:35   Link #627
wistfulloner

Quote:
Quantum Physics is indeed fun. Things like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle... Quantum Entanglement... I have a feeling Haruhi will enjoy them as they are very unintuitive and out of this world.
You know, Haruhi probably learns this at school and she must be thinking, "What a load of BS, I've got better things to do, like looking for UFOs, Espers and Aliens!" She absolutely craves instant gratification, not hard, textbook science!

Also, after a rewatch of Disappearance, I've noticed a distinct lack of Itsuki, not only in the scenes but also in theme. No, scratch that, Itsuki was never really that significant AT ALL throughout the series. Haruhi's screen time for the movie isn't impressive, but at least she was the central pillar for Yuki's "key" (John Smith anyone?) and the reason for Kyon's final decision. Itsuki could be much more as a character given his agenda, but seems to be relegated to the role of "theoretical physics lecturer" and "eyecandy for fangirls" by the author. Yuki is awesome, no doubt, but the author could have given more attention to Itsuki.

It seems most male supporting characters can expect to be ignored (also, kitamura from Toradora).
Old 2011-01-23, 01:18   Link #628
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Dude whenever I see your posts, your always either fighting or arguing with someone, no offense of course.

Lets all get along kay?
Old 2011-01-23, 14:04   Link #629
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
You know, Haruhi probably learns this at school and she must be thinking, "What a load of BS, I've got better things to do, like looking for UFOs, Espers and Aliens!" She absolutely craves instant gratification, not hard, textbook science!

Also, after a rewatch of Disappearance, I've noticed a distinct lack of Itsuki, not only in the scenes but also in theme. No, scratch that, Itsuki was never really that significant AT ALL throughout the series. Haruhi's screen time for the movie isn't impressive, but at least she was the central pillar for Yuki's "key" (John Smith anyone?) and the reason for Kyon's final decision. Itsuki could be much more as a character given his agenda, but seems to be relegated to the role of "theoretical physics lecturer" and "eyecandy for fangirls" by the author. Yuki is awesome, no doubt, but the author could have given more attention to Itsuki.

It seems most male supporting characters can expect to be ignored (also, kitamura from Toradora).
children do not learn quantum physics at school))

Gamer 2k4

haruhi probably is just not intelligent enough to undestand quantum physics...if she was, she probably wouldn't have come to want aliens, espers and whatnot in her life. a logical scientific mind dejects that kind of fictional stuff.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
Old 2011-01-24, 03:03   Link #630
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post

Gamer 2k4

haruhi probably is just not intelligent enough to undestand quantum physics...if she was, she probably wouldn't have come to want aliens, espers and whatnot in her life. a logical scientific mind dejects that kind of fictional stuff.
Dude, they hardly qualify as children, they're like 18 for goodness sakes. At that age students have probably probably been introduced to the basics of modern physics.

And you might want to watch some of their episodes again. She tops most exam papers with little effort, and still has time to nap during the time left in a paper; intelligent is a severe understatement.

Also, her intelligence has nothing to do with her liking for espers, aliens and what not, she searches for them because she finds normal life too boring. If you watched season 2 at all you will know Haruhi doesn't actually believe in all this weirdness, she wants to but she knows they are just not possible; her searches are just an attempt to escape from her "boring" reality.
Old 2011-01-24, 04:07   Link #631
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Dude, they hardly qualify as children, they're like 18 for goodness sakes. At that age students have probably probably been introduced to the basics of modern physics.
They're 16, tops. IIRC, Japanese first years are the equivalent of American sophomores, and I was 15 during that entire school year. I didn't take a physics class until junior year, and it had nothing to do with quantum mechanics. Quantum physics are the sort of thing you take as an elective; they're certainly not a part of a sophomore core curriculum.

Quote:
Also, her intelligence has nothing to do with her liking for espers, aliens and what not, she searches for them because she finds normal life too boring. If you watched season 2 at all you will know Haruhi doesn't actually believe in all this weirdness, she wants to but she knows they are just not possible; her searches are just an attempt to escape from her "boring" reality.
All the more reason to assume that Haruhi couldn't care one bit about quantum physics. If her liking of espers and such isn't based on intelligence, then it's strange to assume that she'd like a field as technical as quantum mechanics. Just because something is complex and unintuitive doesn't make it exciting; in fact, for many, it seems like just the opposite is true.
Old 2011-01-24, 11:31   Link #632
wistfulloner

Quote:
They're 16, tops. IIRC, Japanese first years are the equivalent of American sophomores, and I was 15 during that entire school year. I didn't take a physics class until junior year, and it had nothing to do with quantum mechanics. Quantum physics are the sort of thing you take as an elective; they're certainly not a part of a sophomore core curriculum.
Okay, I'm not too familiar with what they learn in Japanese high school; we are introduced to nuclear and quantum fields of physics in the late semester of our equivalent junior colleges (which I assume is the same as Jap high schools) in S'pore. But you are probably right, they aren't 18, maybe like 17 or so since this isn't their final year and high school ends at 18.

Quote:
All the more reason to assume that Haruhi couldn't care one bit about quantum physics. If her liking of espers and such isn't based on intelligence, then it's strange to assume that she'd like a field as technical as quantum mechanics. Just because something is complex and unintuitive doesn't make it exciting; in fact, for many, it seems like just the opposite is true.
Yeah, that's precisely what I meant. She is smart enough to understand that stuff, but she just isn't interested in it.
Old 2011-01-24, 12:01   Link #633
idiffer

Quote:

about the side char's. this actually bothered me alot. everyone exccept haruhi and kyon is flat like paper. as someone once said - "what do we actually know about Ashina, other than she is from the future and has big boobs?"
they are there just to fill space, they are plot devices. and if i feel this then the author isn't as good...
the dissappearance movie seemed like a one man show for me. we get like 10 min of screentime with the chars from the original universe, besides kyon. the doplegangers are ppl who we don't know, so we can't really feel for them, at least alot less than we did for the original space-fillers. its both annoying and well, not. i would have liked more interaction with the sos bunch just for the heck of something familiar. but it was an introspective movie for kyon, we get to see at last some real feelings of his, not just the sarcasm on the surface. although in more than 2 hours they could have fitted in a little more character development than one tiny realization that kyon liked the crazy ass adventures with haruhi.
...mmm. just felt like getting that out there...
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
Old 2011-01-24, 12:44   Link #634
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

As insightful as these musings are, they are off topic for the movie impressions/review thread. The better places for these is the individual character threads or the general character thread.

EDIT: for those discussions that quite don't fit the above, then the The General Discussion of Haruhi Suzumiya thread is for you.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-01-24 at 13:13. Reason: Answer for below.
Old 2011-01-24, 12:59   Link #635
idiffer

none of those threads seem be appropriate for my post. its not about ONE character and the general thread says its for chars that didn't get their own thread, so...
+ my post included impressions of the movie.
and now we wouldn't want to clutter this thread with an even more off topic discussion of wether i posted in the right thread or not, now would we?
well, at least someone finds my musings, lol, insightfull. usually ppl say my posts are a load of crap. read signature for lulz.
Old 2011-01-28, 00:11   Link #636
king12354

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post

Gamer 2k4

I have to disagree. Quantum physics isn't logical at all. In fact, there are really outrageous theories that we can't prove or disprove making it all more interesting.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:10   Link #637
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
I have to disagree. Quantum physics isn't logical at all. In fact, there are really outrageous theories that we can't prove or disprove making it all more interesting.
It's not exactly illogical, it just operates on such a small scale that such "outrageous" behaviors are possible so, and strange, random things like teleportation or moving through walls are possible do to the size of things like atoms or muons, and the amount of energy possesed inside of these small pieces of matter. So it is illogical to someone who does not understand the level of reality that this activity takes place.

One of the problems though with quantum physics is that it runs into conflict with the theory of general relativity, so a new theory like string theory is needed to unite the two theories.
Old 2011-01-29, 23:36   Link #638
ijuinkun

The reason that we humans don't intuitively grasp quantum physics the way that we intuitively grasp Newtonian physics is that quantum physics is pretty much irrelevant to anybody in a pre-industrial society. In other words, there is no significant survival advantage to understanding how subatomic particles function if you have no technology for observing or controlling them--most importantly because we have no sensory organs capable of even detecting most quantum effects because they are too small or too low-energy or too fast to trigger our neurons--even quantum effects involving visible-light photons are just barely detectable at all to the human eye (e.g. a rod cell in the retina will respond to a single photon, producing a barely-noticeable flicker in otherwise total darkness).

Consider a human in a hunter-gatherer society or an agrarian society (as just about everyone was until recently, evolutionarily speaking). Understanding quantum tunneling will not bring any material benefit to such a person. However, understanding ballistics, such as the motion of a thrown stone or spear or an arrow (Newtonian physics) has much more obvious value--knowing where an airborne object will hit is important for hunting, combat, or just getting out of the way of something falling on your head.

Thus, our brains are not set up to process quantum effects because we had no need to do so until we started experimenting with electricity and the like.
Old 2011-01-30, 00:14   Link #639
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

In other words, quantum physics is about boring stuff which wouldn't keep Haruhi entertained in the least.
Old 2011-01-30, 03:06   Link #640
ijuinkun

The physics itself, yes. The things that can be done with it (e.g. the entirety of modern electronics technology) less so, but she would never have the patience to learn the stuff herself.
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya