AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-19, 07:21   Link #1041
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, the speedometer showed over 100 MPH, so he was certainly comfortably over the speed limit. Maybe Mutta thought it was KM/h...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 09:22   Link #1042
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, the speedometer showed over 100 MPH, so he was certainly comfortably over the speed limit. Maybe Mutta thought it was KM/h...
I thought of that explanation too, it would be a funny shoe to drop later. "You were only doing a hundred..." "That was in miles." "Oooooh."

Speaking of Brian, he's turning into this show's semi-mysterious legendary god figure.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 10:59   Link #1043
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I understand some of the criticism for the old-fashioned view on American culture, but it seems a bit off-point as the entire episode is a tribute to October Sky. They even mention Homer Hickham by name.
You know what, I don't really care about these supposed tributes, because this is a far cry away from reality the early episodes tried to establish the series on. At this point Space Bros is just disappointing with portrayals of different cultures and I wish it stops doing that, because there's absolutely no reason to do it.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 09:38   Link #1044
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about Vince and Pico's backstory?

I mean they've only been in it for a handful of episodes....and yet we get Nitta's backstory only recently when he's been in it since early on!
Old 2013-05-20, 10:14   Link #1045
Gravitas Free Zone

After nearly sixty episodes, there are times when the series's slow march through the material is a pleasant little journey through life, and other times when my reaction is best described thusly.

We have now seen how several characters gained their current annoying personalities and how Mutta made friends with them anyway, and we're probably going to spend at least two more episodes doing this with Vince and Pico. It would have been nice after the time shift and three-week recap break to turn up the pace a little bit.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 14:46   Link #1046
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Maybe if Vince and Pico were around longer, I probably wouldn't care but.....it's pretty obvious that they're probably just going to be around for this part of the arc.

Are we seriously going to get backstory for EVERYONE that crosses Mutta's path? Next thing you know they'll be doing a backstory for the cute little doggy in the show...
Old 2013-05-20, 16:56   Link #1047
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about Vince and Pico's backstory?
Can't say I care much, as I don't really like any of them. It doesn't help that their backstory is boring and predictable.
Old 2013-05-20, 17:01   Link #1048
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Can't say I care much, as I don't really like any of them. It doesn't help that their backstory is boring and predictable.
Thank you. At least I'm not the only one who doesn't give two f**ks about how Vince and Pico met and why they're the way they are.

Another thing that kind of irked me: if a high school counselor seriously said that a student from a small midwestern town could never make it at a college and that they should just stick to community college, their ass would be fired. I don't know what era Vince and Pico are supposed to be from, but that's some serious 1950's stuff going on there....
Old 2013-05-20, 18:18   Link #1049
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Thank you. At least I'm not the only one who doesn't give two f**ks about how Vince and Pico met and why they're the way they are.

Another thing that kind of irked me: if a high school counselor seriously said that a student from a small midwestern town could never make it at a college and that they should just stick to community college, their ass would be fired. I don't know what era Vince and Pico are supposed to be from, but that's some serious 1950's stuff going on there....
There's a lot of really oddball places around the States, so I could certainly see there being a town like that. The town's prosperity is dependent on its local business; mining. So those who have settled down will want to do everything in their power to ensure that said business continues to boom, else the prosperity of the town will drop. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the counselor's primary responsibilities was to discourage able-bodied men from seeking opportunities outside of the town.

As for the backstory, this is a character driven anime, so in my view its expected. Sometimes backstory is necessary early, before the audience has had time to connect with the character, because its necessary for the audience to connect with the character. I'm going to wait for this backstory to play out before deciding if I care for these characters or not.
Old 2013-05-20, 19:19   Link #1050
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
There's a lot of really oddball places around the States, so I could certainly see there being a town like that. The town's prosperity is dependent on its local business; mining. So those who have settled down will want to do everything in their power to ensure that said business continues to boom, else the prosperity of the town will drop. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the counselor's primary responsibilities was to discourage able-bodied men from seeking opportunities outside of the town.

You're right; I was being unfair before. It probaly does happen more than I thought.

Quote:
As for the backstory, this is a character driven anime, so in my view its expected. Sometimes backstory is necessary early, before the audience has had time to connect with the character, because its necessary for the audience to connect with the character. I'm going to wait for this backstory to play out before deciding if I care for these characters or not.
Oh, I get that this is character driven. It's why I love it so....

I guess I don't really care for Vince or Pico yet....though I do sympathize with Pico over his guilt over Brian's death...
Old 2013-05-20, 21:46   Link #1051
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
I thought of that explanation too, it would be a funny shoe to drop later. "You were only doing a hundred..." "That was in miles." "Oooooh."

Speaking of Brian, he's turning into this show's semi-mysterious legendary god figure.
My grandmother talked about some people from the States telling her "We love your speed limit -one hundred miles per hour!" or some such. She ended up pointing out to them that it was one hundred kilometers per hour (about sixty-two miles per hour -a mile is 1.6 kilometers).

Though you'd think someone as familiar with cars as Mutta would be able to tell they were going well above normal speeds.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 01:11   Link #1052
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

As others have already said, the Vince/Pico back story is clearly an homage to Homer Hickam's memoir, Rocket Boys, and/or the 1999 movie adaptation, October Sky. Hickam's story took place in the late 50s, but little towns like that still exist today. In fact, they're making a comeback in places like North Dakota, where the "fracking boom" is going on. And unfortunately, there are still guidance counselors who think it's their job to get kids to think "reasonably" and aim for a secure future that's more attainable.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 12:33   Link #1053
Beltane70

You really can't blame the show, though, as the manga covers Vince and Pico's backstory as well.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 14:57   Link #1054
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltane70 View Post
You really can't blame the show, though, as the manga covers Vince and Pico's backstory as well.
Ahhh, I see.
Old 2013-05-25, 12:00   Link #1055
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 21:15   Link #1056
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post

Spoiler for plot:
I think that it's over. Their motivations have essentially been explained, and now we're at the competition. Nice seeing Azuma and Hibito have a little bonding-reunion there.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 00:21   Link #1057
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Like you, I think the homage to Homer Hickham and Rocket Boys is coming to an end. Once Hibito is back on earth, the story will naturally move along. I got a bit teary during the scene with Azuma.

On Hickham's Twitter page, there is an amusing exchange about this show. Someone posted that Space Brothers had mentioned him in an episode, whereupon he posts a link to the episode on a pirate site. The original poster points this out to him and includes the link to the Crunchy URL instead. I wonder if that was Hickham's first experience with anime?

As for the rover, they might be able to adapt the solution they chose for obstructions if they could attach a moisture sensor on the front of the rover. Adapting the code would not take long since you could simply treat water as equivalent to a physical obstruction like a rock. One problem is that the detector needs to protrude ahead of the tires so it senses the water before the sponges hit it. Getting something like that into the nose cone won't be easy. A springy wire perhaps?

With so many competitors the chances Team E would have to go first are not that great, but I doubt the authors will give them much more than the hour until the first launch. It seems highly unlikely they could get the needed parts, add the moisture sensor, and rewrite the code in less than two or more hours. A solution like mine probably won't work if they get stuck with the one-hour window.

Any other suggestions?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 01:42   Link #1058
Jimmy C

When Mutta suggested sponge tires, my first thought was that they should add rubber pads to the outer parts of the tires. That would have protected the tires from getting too worn down if the terrain turned out to be rougher than expected. It would have made the damp ground less of an issue too.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 02:36   Link #1059
cyth
Banned

What if they drive into an actual puddle? I think the most realistic solution is to adjust the code so that the buggy waits for the sponge to dry up before continuing (detects if it's moving too slowly), or code a maneuver that would squeeze out as much water as possible (perhaps a jerky back and forth). Same thing with mud, I feel. Making any kind of mechanical adjustments at this point, without any testing, would (or should) be viewed as irresponsible by judges of the ASCAN program.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 02:51   Link #1060
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

On Hickham's Twitter page, there is an amusing exchange about this show. Someone posted that Space Brothers had mentioned him in an episode, whereupon he posts a link to the episode on a pirate site. The original poster points this out to him and includes the link to the Crunchy URL instead. I wonder if that was Hickham's first experience with anime?
Twitter does tend to get unsuspecting people in trouble. At least he ticket tweet a picture of his junk.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen