AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2010-07-13, 08:09   Link #1
james0246

[Manga] Chapter 502 Discussion

Welcome to the weekly manga chapter discussion thread. This thread is created early to discuss spoilers and speculation about the upcoming chapter as well as discussion of said chapter once it has been released.

As per the forums rules, please don't ask for or mention about where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc. Additionally, if you are posting someone else's synopsis (or their translation of a synopsis), then please provide credit were credit is due.

Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This stands for pictures and direct translations. Summaries are ok, crops of pictures are ok as well if you want to illustrate your point but this is it.

---
Chapter Status: confirmed spoiler released...

Quote:
-Minato and Madara fight...as they fight, Sarutobi and Konoha deal with the Kyuubi.

-Minato wonders how the masked shinobi could have broken through the barriers surrounding Konoha; was able to kill ANBU with complete ease; known about the weakening of the seal (as well as who the current Jinchuuriki was); and had the ability to free and control the Kyuubi. Minato's only conclusion is that the masked shinobi is Madara.

-Minato asks the masked fighter if he is Madara, but no answer is provided...

-Minato reveals that there is a second level to Hiraishin (which, of course, he probably will not have mastered, leaving room for Naruto to finally learn the technique)...

-Chapter ends with Minato hitting Madara with a Rasengan...?

Last edited by james0246; 2010-07-13 at 14:50.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 08:34   Link #2
Alchemist007
*Author

Narutank with Hirashin, talk about overrape.
Old 2010-07-13, 08:45   Link #3
Slayerx

A thought occurs, which i hope kishi will cover by the end of this flashback...

This flashback is being told by kushina... as such how can she tell Naruto about events that she did not see... I mean you could just treat it like a flashback for the readers, but then we have to ask how much of this information Naruto is actually receiving... Frankly, i wonder if Minato will really have a chance to tell kushina everything that happened here before they both die... it probably would have been simpler if Minato was the one telling Naruto what happened, rather than kushina
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 08:56   Link #4
james0246

^Kushina is presumably still alive, so I guess it is possible that she could have gained the info right before she died...? (That still wouldn't explain the Itachi moments, or the Gai v. Kakashi game being shown in this chapter...) If this was a narrative flashback there would be no problems; but, the flashback was framed as being told by Kushina, so...yeah it doesn't make much sense.

Whatever the case, I'm too used to non-localized flashbacks in manga that I'm not even phased by this...

---

Is anyone else a little bored by this flashback? Maybe it’s the fact that I already know the outcome (and the characters are not interesting enough for me to care that much about what happens to them), but I feel like I'm just waiting impatiently for some old guy to finish telling a WWI/WWII story that I don't really care about. That’s not to say that there haven’t been some interesting details, I just find most of the presentation really uninteresting...
Old 2010-07-13, 09:20   Link #5
Rurik
Golden

^ Yeah, I dig you dawg, while I wanted to know some details of the Kyuibi release and attack to Konoha, I just not that entertained about showing us how Naruto had a Harry Potter past.
Old 2010-07-13, 09:22   Link #6
lotus_lee

Minato and Kushina have had 16 years of tea parties in the Kyuubi, so I'm sure she's well up to date on the events of 'that night' now.

I guess since we got to see Sasuke's 'night' explained in the past, it seemed fitting that the main character also got one of his.
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 09:47   Link #7
Alchemist007
*Author

I can imagine Naruto with a trollface spamming rasengans while teleporting around. Or get like 6 bunshins and teleport from all sides into the target, only ineffective against Tobi I suppose.
Old 2010-07-13, 10:09   Link #8
james0246

btw, Is anyone else getting a little annoyed with the constant "Who is Tobi?" storyline? I'm just finding myself caring less and less about anything to do with our Masked friend (if a character doesn't have an identity, why should I care about their motivation?)...
Old 2010-07-13, 10:17   Link #9
ShadowAssasin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Is anyone else a little bored by this flashback?
For the most part, I don't think this flashback has been boring because in my opinion, its interesting to finally see some of the details regarding the event which began the manga, and has been referenced all throughout the story. I enjoy flashback sequences like this, because they are centered around the prominent characters, or characters I actually find interesting(we don't have to read through naruto and his dumbass friends), and lingering questions in our minds have a chance to be answered. Madara holding naruto and threatening to end his life at the "ripe old age of one minute" was excellent; and so was Minato's glaring looks, and vigor while donning the Hokage robe. Very nice...

At first I wasn't interested in reading about naruto's mother, but I must admit, her character actually wasn't bad. I think we now know adequate information surrounding her and the clan for this part of the story, and I didn't mind reading through it as much as I thought I would; the Uzumaki clansmen sound intriguing. Admittedly though, my opinion might be a little skewed, considering this has been a big relief from watching naruto and killerbee act like two buffoons, and reading through yet another boring training arc where naruto squints his eyes and struggles to comprehend instructions.

All things considered, the flashback wasn't bad.

Quote:
I just find most of the presentation really uninteresting...
I don't see why. Just seeing the Hokage robe sparked interest, since I only really seen it in fan art and such. We all know how it will end, but that doen't mean it can't be interesting. For instance, we know how the three Sannin fought Hanzo, but it would be pretty interesting to actually see the fight --similar to Kakashi's back story. Speaking of which, I'd really like to see the fight between Orochimaru and Jiraiya, when Orochiamru left.
ShadowAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 10:21   Link #10
james0246

^Fair enough. I wholly admit that it could simply be the framing of the flashback that I dislike (i.e.Kushina somehow being sealed inside of Naruto for the sole purpose of giving him exposition and plot points)...
Old 2010-07-13, 10:22   Link #11
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

@James Yeah Kishi is starting to get a bit retarded with the whole identity of Tobi, we already think Tobi is Madara and if Tobi is anyone else that is not Rikodou Sennin then who gives a crap?

The whole point of a mask is to keep the reader guessing, when you have practically flat out told us there is no longer any need for the mask or the "WHO ARE YOU?! " comments. When was the last time Naruto was exciting, even though the 4th is one of my favourite characters I stopped feeling anything for Naruto when the Hokage summit started.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 10:57   Link #12
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Tobi is probably the very first Uchiha (or Hyuuga). The legend. Like we've seen so many times in the movies. You know... Blade, Underworld.. In fact. It wouldn't suprise me either if his children gave birth to the Hyuuga's. Soo maybe his other eye is kind of messed up but it's in fact the Byakugan .. a deformed eye.
Old 2010-07-13, 11:05   Link #13
james0246

New spoiler:

Quote:
-Sarutobi fights the Kyuubi, while Minato battles Madara/Tobi.
This is probably how Iruka's parents will get drawn into the conflict (I hope Kishimoto doesn't waste a chapter on introducing Iruka's parents and then killing them off).
Old 2010-07-13, 11:11   Link #14
Neji112

I am actually enjoying the flashback, it's a lot more interesting than the direct Naruto/Sasuke plot right now. Plus I'm also interested to get history from someone other than Madara as you can't really trust anything he says. Villains tendency to lie make all information from them suspect to begin with,

My biggest fear at the moment is that even with all this hype and history Tobi/Madara isn't going to be the final boss and just be a sacrifice for a Sasuke power up like Orochimaru ended up being.
Neji112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 12:12   Link #15
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

Quote:
Is anyone else a little bored by this flashback? Maybe it’s the fact that I already know the outcome (and the characters are not interesting enough for me to care that much about what happens to them), but I feel like I'm just waiting impatiently for some old guy to finish telling a WWI/WWII story that I don't really care about. That’s not to say that there haven’t been some interesting details, I just find most of the presentation really uninteresting...
It's like putting in an old tape of a World Series baseball game you never watched, but know the outcome. It can be interesting, but it still can't compare to seeing it play out live. That's why the coming war will bring a lot more interest since we don't now what will happen. And if you don't like Madara, Minato, Naruto the character, and Kushina, then you'll probably find the flashback boring.

But anything beats Naruto training arcs or Naruto/Sasuke stuff so I'll take it.

The upcoming movie in August also deals with Minato's generation. Coincidence that Kishi is doing this now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAssasin View Post
For instance, we know how the three Sannin fought Hanzo, but it would be pretty interesting to actually see the fight --similar to Kakashi's back story. Speaking of which, I'd really like to see the fight between Orochimaru and Jiraiya, when Orochiamru left.
To be fair, that would be a huge waste of panels and not really relevant to anything that is happening now in the manga. Jiraiya and Orochimaru are now old news. Neither are prominent characters anymore. And seeing the Sannin fight Hanzou would be pointless. Kishi had his chance during the Pain Arc and wisely realized that it would have only wasted time. Kishi is only showing us this flashback because it relates to the main character's past. It just ties up loose ends so the current story can progress.
Old 2010-07-13, 12:31   Link #16
Casshern

Not really fussed how Kushina learned this stuff, I just want to see Minato vs Tobi.

And I agree with the all the above; the mystery of Tobi's identity got old a long time ago. I just hope he's not Madara.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 13:12   Link #17
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

Upgrade to instant teleportation? I can only assume that it would mean not having to use seals......so similar to that Jumper movie
FireDetei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 13:15   Link #18
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
I don't see why everyone hates this flashback. I quite like it. It's a lot better than the one One Piece just had that's for sure.
Old 2010-07-13, 13:16   Link #19
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Well i wonder.... please think with me. If...or once... Naruto masters Hiraishin and manages to reach the second stage (whatever that is) of Hiraishin. It'll be most likely his key to defeat Madara or to be more accurate, the figure Tobi. But then.... we probably might already know what that stage is. Probably not any different from Instant Transmission... no more (hand)seals/kunai.

So... if Naruto manages to master that... then what chance would Sasuke have?
Old 2010-07-13, 13:27   Link #20
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
I don't see why everyone hates this flashback. I quite like it. It's a lot better than the one One Piece just had that's for sure.
It may be because there doesn't seem to be too much to expect that's new... we learned a thing or two while we were talking about kushina becoming a host, but now people doubt any new surprises... Minato battles madara and the kyuubi, Somehow minato and kushina do some kind of sealing method to put in Naruto, and that's that... people don't really see anything new that will come from this flashback except for more detail on what we already know... sure it's a flashback of what we may have always wanted to see, but we got tons of exposition through the story that bascially filled in all the holes for us and thus we do not expect any new surprises; it makes the flashback feel much more "meh"... could be wrong, but that's how people may feel

Tha flashback in onepiece by contrast was filled with details we know nothing about and illustrated and event we only had vague information about or none at all
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly chapter discussion