AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 12 21.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 43.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 18.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.82%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-31, 10:24   Link #21
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There's no point in showing the whole flashback at this point in the story, so it looks like they'll just show the one which would tie in quite well with the events of episode 10.
I presume that's what he meant though. The "entire flashback" is actually an entire volume of content, so obviously they won't be showing that. But even the Hughes-centric parts of it is rather significant, so it should be at least 2/5 if not half of the entire episode. Definitely looking forward to it, it has some of the better dialog in the entire series imo.
Old 2009-05-31, 10:42   Link #22
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Definitely looking forward to it, it has some of the better dialog in the entire series imo.
Have to agree with you there. It'll be interesting to see how they'll place in with the events of episode 10. I already have a few ideas, though i'll leave that for the spoiler and speculation thread some point this week.
Old 2009-05-31, 13:42   Link #23
ZEFI
Bridge Bunny

I think this episode was done way better than I expected, I'm happy it wasn't stretched into more episodes because Al brooding wasn't exactly interesting.

So did anyone else notice Izumi and her husband in the background?

Last edited by ZEFI; 2009-05-31 at 19:06. Reason: note to self: Izumi = female >>
Old 2009-05-31, 13:48   Link #24
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEFI View Post
So did anyone else notice Izumi and his husband in the background?
Good Catch (and these are fun things that are placed throughout the manga). I am really glad they kept that in but I didn't even think to look for it until you pointed it out.
Old 2009-05-31, 17:44   Link #25
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
It only gets an automatic shot down when people's comparison of both series is based on innacurate convictions that the constantly serious and angsty way FMA1 did things is what the series is supposed and has to be like.
When did I say it's supposed to be.
I got 9 eps of material on FMA 2 and I'm comparing to the equivalent of eps that FMA 1 went by as far as the brothers' falling out.
We've had the (lior was it) story, the nina story, we've had Ed almost getting done by Scar (that got an 11/10 from me because it was done so well 2nd time round imo)
The problem again, is simply different base of original source.
Endless Twilight = Influenced by the manga - loves it
Mystique = Influenced by the original series - loves it.

Hence there's no point of a debate with anyone from the manga side (well, there're a few who have made similar comparisons as I have on the pace, tone of the two series alone too)
Depends on individual perception and preference.

So comparing tone, atmosphere and style != the story which is gonna be the main biggest change of which I look forward to, to seeing where the roller coaster ride goes without already anticipating it as you are.
But to make good points on both sides of the series on a general basis while they stories are the same (as you've seemed to omit my fma 2 > fma 1 in character portrayal, as one example) - I'm just as entitled to as long as it's not the story itself.
If I started complaining about Kimberly being there 'just cause he wasn't in FMA 1' then sure go ahead and kick my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim
Just because you feel they are rushing doesn't mean everyone else does. There have been just as many people who want them to get to the "new stuff' as quickly as possible who see this as all just rehash. And it is very possible that they don't have an infinite number of episodes. There is such a thing as a budget.
Was in response to what SirWence had posted about speed and manga material before me.
Again to quote myself:
Quote:
Aside from being restricted by an fixed episode count, I don't see the need to rush tbh, they waited 4 years for this series to appear... :\
I'm well aware of the ins and outs of a movie/TV format than a book/manga format - but it's not like the first series where they took the manga into account on the first go and still found that oops, we've kinda caught up so we gotta split now.
They've waited and accumulated a set amount before going for round 2, so it does seem kinda pointless to squeeze that amount of manga storyline within a incredibly limited anime episode count, if FMA 2 is supposed to portray the manga storyline and do it justice by balancing it well.
(If there's nothing I've not heard people whine and complain about time and time again, it's the anime/manga pace of many many series)
Who knows, I'll probably hear the same argument later from you guys in this series when pace means nothing to me
Quote:
They probably want to get the material already shown in the previous series over with as quick as possible, so as to avoid having the viewers getting bored and comments such as yours "at this point, FMA 2 is still hashing over the same storyline as FMA 1" etc.

I don't agree with it either, but that's how it goes.

I can only hope they won't try to skim through that flashback (while showing it much earlier than supposed) the way they did with the other one in episode 2.
I personally don't mind the rehash, 2003 was a long time ago so go figure, I say it without annoyance to be honest.
But yeah, I wonder if they felt an innate sense of pressure before this aired to try skim through these stories asap and then slow the hell down once the last traces of FMA 1 are done.
That'll be interesting to see.
Seeing as this has a different style and different take on some of the same characters, methinks there was no need to worry unless someone is watching this purely for the story difference and nothing else about this second take.
(Only then you can be bored imo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannon
I wanted to strangle something when I heard it. And since I was the only one in the room at that time, my hand ended on my throat
Oh wow, thank goodness it's just not me, I forgot to add that to the
FMA1 > FMA 2, cause hearing the "eyecatch man" in ep 1 was already making me homicidal. ><;;;;;
(Japanese, japanese, japanese WTF is an american voice doing in there reading the freaking title that we can already read?!)
Then back to japanese, japanese, japanese.
I will kiss ass of any fansub group who either omits the sound just to keep the pretty pictures or just cuts out the eyecatch from their releases; it's like now I'm glancing at the clock to see the halfway point just so i can mute the volume xD
(Wouldn't that be funny if this was dubbed in the US but they got a JP VA to say the eyecatch in reverse to all the english?) xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefi
So did anyone else notice Izumi and his husband in the background?
Yep, among the hustle and bustle of everyone, that was a 'eh? How strange...' moment from me there.
And btw, I know Izumi may not be the most feminine of women but..

PS: Thanks manjuu for the reinstate.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-05-31, 18:46   Link #26
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Hence there's no point of a debate with anyone from the manga side (well, there're a few who have made similar comparisons as I have on the pace, tone of the two series alone too)

So comparing tone, atmosphere and style != the story which is gonna be the main biggest change of which I look forward to, to seeing where the roller coaster ride goes without already anticipating it as you are.

I guess it is perfectly understandable that you prefer the darker/sadder tone of the first series. But since this series is influenced by the manga it's tone is correct to me. The manga has a lighter tone than the previous series. And since you are looking forward to the difference in the story (which is understandable) the tone hugely affects where the story is going. The first series was very much focused on the characters' guilt and sins. This series is much more about characters moving forward despite the past or what hard moments they may still have to face. In fact the director/script writer has had Ed mention "moving forward" twice when it wasn't even in the manga: In this episode and at the end of the Scar episode. But I was happy with this because I saw that the director understood a major theme in the manga. So hence the difference in the themes of the two series effects the overall tone of the series.

Anyways I do agree with everyone that the eye catches are really annoying. I mean I don't mind the eye catches themselves. Having the characters names on them was a cute idea. But I wonder who came up with the brilliant idea to say Fullmetal Alchemist in the most annoying English speaking voice. If they got rid of that voice the eye catches would be fine.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2009-05-31 at 19:06.
Old 2009-05-31, 19:12   Link #27
Vicious108

Just watched the episode and...

"Tehehe, Fullmetal Alchemist."

GOD! And I thought Schiezka's eyecatch was bad.

Excellent episode otherwise though, thankfully. Once again they did a good job with the directing by including the Scar scene in this episode, so they can focus entirely on you-know-what in the next one.

And I've really begun to notice the music more in these latest episodes, and while it still isn't as good as FMA1's soundtrack, it has some great tracks itself and definitely adds to the show. The song that played when Ed and Al were sparring on the roof seems to be the equivalent to Brajta/Tsuisou/Kyoudai from the first series, as in it plays in important Ed + Al moments and it has different versions, one with vocals, another one without vocals, etc.

So yeah, definitely looking forward to the first OST for Brotherhood. Whenever the hell it'll come out.

Quote:
When did I say it's supposed to be.
I got 9 eps of material on FMA 2 and I'm comparing to the equivalent of eps that FMA 1 went by as far as the brothers' falling out.
We've had the (lior was it) story, the nina story, we've had Ed almost getting done by Scar (that got an 11/10 from me because it was done so well 2nd time round imo)
The problem again, is simply different base of original source.
Endless Twilight = Influenced by the manga - loves it
Mystique = Influenced by the original series - loves it.

"Influenced" is probably not the most accurate word if you ask me. Yes I do prefer the manga, but I actually watched the original anime series first (and enjoyed it quite a bit too), so if I were to be influenced or have any kind of nostalgia bias it'd be towards it and not the manga.

But whatever, as you said it all depends on individual perception and preference, so I'm not going to shoot down or kick anyone's ass for prefering the way the first series did things. I simply said what I said about your analysis because you seemed to think that the "random manga moments" were getting in the way of the darker tone the first series set for FMA. Which I don't think is a good train of thought, since as Kirarakim just said, Brotherhood is influenced by the manga and thus its tone is correct. I'd suggest that you get used to that idea or it might get in the way of your enjoyment of future episodes.
Old 2009-05-31, 19:38   Link #28
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
Just watched it.

Excellent episode again, I LOVED every single EdWin moment, XD. They did the phone conversation really well, it actually did almost seem like Ed was talking to his girlfriend before Denny popped out.

Looks like there'll be more next episode, but next episode will also be a sad one ;-;.
Old 2009-05-31, 19:42   Link #29
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirvee View Post
Just watched it.

Excellent episode again, I LOVED every single EdWin moment, XD. They did the phone conversation really well, it actually did almost seem like Ed was talking to his girlfriend before Denny popped out.
That reminds me, they actually had Ed's voice coming out of Winry's mouth in his imagination there, didn't they? That was pretty random. And funny.

Oh and speaking of Denny, just realized they skipped a pretty funny moment with him.

Ed: I wonder what's up with Al...
Denny: It has to be that... He's got a crush!
Ed: Don't mix him up with a horny sergeant.
Denny: GAH! *falls on the floor bleeding* Horny...
Old 2009-05-31, 20:05   Link #30
Pandar

Oh dear lord I'm going to cry so hard next episode...
Old 2009-05-31, 20:44   Link #31
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Good, good. I'm glad they didn't dwell on Al's problem here.

Next week is well.. I'll have my tissues with me.
Old 2009-05-31, 21:49   Link #32
Vicious108

I just realized no one's mentioned this yet: there was no alchemy intro this week.

Hopefully it means they're done with it for good, as all it did after the first few episodes was needlessly take up time that can be used instead to properly cover more manga material.
Old 2009-05-31, 22:29   Link #33
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

haven't finished watching it yet, but i loved how Ed called Winry Winry-san when he was all afraid. also, you can see Izumi and her husband at the 6:47 mark.

doh, just read above.. haha. someone caught it first.

anyways, great Ed and Winry moments. i don't think i can handle next week's ep.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2009-05-31 at 22:57.
Old 2009-05-31, 22:33   Link #34
SirWence
~Connoisseur~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
I just realized no one's mentioned this yet: there was no alchemy intro this week.

Hopefully it means they're done with it for good, as all it did after the first few episodes was needlessly take up time that can be used instead to properly cover more manga material.
I agree I hope they're quite done with that bit of wasted time , which can now be put into productive time so we have less things cut.. even if its half a scene less. ><

All in all I gave this episode a 9
Old 2009-05-31, 22:58   Link #35
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Was in response to what SirWence had posted about speed and manga material before me.
Again to quote myself:
One thing that has always picked at my nits about the AnimeSuki forums is the default one-level quoting. I certainly understand why they do it. There are a LOT of...shall we say...less...conscientious posters (mostly in other topics, thank God), who, given their druthers, would post Over 9000 levels of quote and respond to it with "LOLOLOLOL!" (10 characters exactly...) and not understand the problem others might have with that. But it also leads, due to the inherent laziness in all of us, and the ease at forgetting what may have been posted several days ago or early on the last page or even what was posted before the beginning of a particularly run-on sentence, to...what was I responding to, again...?

Oh yeah. It leads to forgetting that a certain comment may have been in direct response to someone else's comment, and taking it out of context. In some cases, the system could be manipulated for that to be done intentionally.

Not to say that Kirarakim did so intentionally, as he obviously didn't, but sometimes +quoting (and cut/pasting it in right behind the first quote tag so it shows up in context) is a good idea to avoid confusion. I try to do that whenever I think there might be some confusion if I don't, or to defend a point I made that has been challenged. It's pretty easy.

Back on topic, anyone else a bit surprised it's only taking them this long to get to this point? I mean, I knew there was a fair amount of filler up to this point in the first series (the fake Elric brothers, the puppetmaster, the babelicious alchemist thief), but even with the quickened pace and cut scenes...25 episodes into 10... Damn...
Old 2009-05-31, 23:12   Link #36
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Not to say that Kirarakim did so intentionally, as he obviously didn't, but sometimes +quoting (and cut/pasting it in right behind the first quote tag so it shows up in context) is a good idea to avoid confusion. I try to do that whenever I think there might be some confusion if I don't, or to defend a point I made that has been challenged. It's pretty easy.
Thank you, although it is she not he ( I know it is almost impossible to tell on the net).

As for taking Mystique's quote out of context well even with Sir Wence's post I would have interpreted it the same way. However I obviously misunderstood what Mystique was trying to say. Adding in the extra part of the quote would not have changed that in this case. So in this case it was just misinterpretation on my part.

Anyways to get back on topic I was also quite happy they removed the alchemy exposition at the beginning of the episode. Now if only they would remove the English talking eye catches we would be all set.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2009-05-31 at 23:30.
Old 2009-05-31, 23:17   Link #37
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Back on topic, anyone else a bit surprised it's only taking them this long to get to this point? I mean, I knew there was a fair amount of filler up to this point in the first series (the fake Elric brothers, the puppetmaster, the babelicious alchemist thief), but even with the quickened pace and cut scenes...25 episodes into 10... Damn...
In the manga it's 16 chapters, and considering they went for a two chapters per episode average since the start and even skipped two of those 16 chapters entirely, it's not that surprising, really.
Old 2009-06-01, 00:32   Link #38
typhonsentra

One small change from the comics I thought was weird:

In the scene where Winry first talks to Ed originally Al was supposed to be in the room while they were talking and only left after no one acknowledged him for a period of time. This helped to reinforce his isolation in this particular arc (Of course even then I didn't like the way he behaved but he is a kid.). In the show however they just have him peaking in the room.
Old 2009-06-01, 01:13   Link #39
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Wow they actually removed all that talk about alchemy and equivalent exchange at the beginning. Now they just need to shave off those 30 seconds they're using for recapping the previous episode.

Another excellent episode. The handling of the angst this time around was a nice breath of fresh air after painfully reminding myself how the first series did it (not that I'm trying to knock on how the first series was handled), especially with the way they resolve the issue. Some cuts were made here and there but once again it didn't come off rushed. I do admit the lack of even mentioning about Scar when Hughes just blurts out "oh btw it's looking like you'll be free of your escorts!" was a little odd for me but that's a minor gripe since I'm sure we all already know the only reason those brothers had escorts to begin with was because of him. I was also gonna mention that phone conversation between Roy and Maes but I just remembered part of it was shown after the ED to the previous episode.

And I didn't think anything could've topped that eyecatch for Sheska for awhile. I guess I spoke too soon on that.
Old 2009-06-01, 02:26   Link #40
ZEFI
Bridge Bunny

Quote:
Yep, among the hustle and bustle of everyone, that was a 'eh? How strange...' moment from me there.
And btw, I know Izumi may not be the most feminine of women but..
Haha yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlson View Post
Wow they actually removed all that talk about alchemy and equivalent exchange at the beginning. Now they just need to shave off those 30 seconds they're using for recapping the previous episode.
and fire the guy who voices the eye-catches.. This episode's was especially creepy. Did he actually giggle?
Closed Thread