AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Who's Your Favorite Mai-Otome Character?
Nina Wong 22 7.21%
Erstin Ho 11 3.61%
Mashiro Windbloom 13 4.26%
Arika Yumemiya 32 10.49%
Shizuru Viola 75 24.59%
Irina Woods 6 1.97%
Natsuki Kruger 35 11.48%
Juliet Nao Zhang 51 16.72%
Haruka Armitage 14 4.59%
Sergey Wong 6 1.97%
Tomoe Marguerite 8 2.62%
Nagi Dai Artai 7 2.30%
Miya Clochette 1 0.33%
Other (list below) 24 7.87%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-09, 08:50   Link #121
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It gets even more awkward when you realize that unlike Shizuru, Sergay was often thinking of other people more so then himself.

In other words: Sergay had a higher moral standard then Shizuru, and yet Sergey is labeled as the epitome of evil that should burn in hell, and all of Shizuru's actions, which were a hell of a lot more selfish and closer to evil, are excused.
Old 2009-03-09, 09:04   Link #122
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Sure. And people yet call him a pedophile, when he actually rejected Arika (even if he was ordered to seduce her) and rejected Nina. Who was the one who seduced him, in a strict sense XD
But, apparently, around there are more Sergay fans that I've ever thought possible. ^^
Old 2009-03-09, 10:31   Link #123
Plasma777

Tomoe, of course.
Old 2009-03-09, 19:01   Link #124
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
I totally quote this. I know I'll sound bitchy, but I'm sure that if Reito (or another male character of choice) had done to Mai (insert your female character of choice) what Shizuru did to Natsuki, he wouldn't have been that loved and worshiped.

My votes for the pairings are:
Hime: Mai/Tate
Otome: Nina/Nagi XD
Sifr: Rena/Shiro (but sincerely, my vote here would have totally been for SakuraxHer Master, I didn't find his name, though!)

Despite my love for the Maixtate, NatsukixMai is a great choice, and probably the fittest pair for Natsuki
Yeah, I hate how sergay is bashed for dumb reasons, and poor tate suffers the same thing, but worse. I honestly think that most of the hate comes from the maiXmikoto shippers who feel he's some kind of obstacle.
Old 2009-03-10, 10:47   Link #125
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's mostly the case. You should see the treatment Yuuno Scrya from Nanoha receives. He is in almost the same position as Tate, with the exception that unlike Tate, his relationship with Nanoha is ambiguous. That makes the more rabid part of the yuri-side want to... well... eliminate him. Usually through flames and hate-art.

Same case for Tate. Though that doesn't really explains the Sergay hate, considering he rejected pretty much every girl he crossed.

I fear the day a new HiME or Otome season is introduced with a serious love interest for Natsuki (maybe what's-his-name from the kendo club could gets serious?).
Old 2009-03-10, 15:24   Link #126
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Who, Takeda? I hope they'll give him another love interest, poor dear. If Sergay is the epitome of evil, Takeda is the king of perverts. Just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 2009-03-10, 16:30   Link #127
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Some would call him the king of good fortune. I don't think Takeda agrees.

I'm still praying things work out between him and Natsuki. The poor guy tries so hard...
Old 2009-03-10, 17:14   Link #128
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

I think they would make a fine pair, even if I like Natsuki better with Mai or, my best option, away from Fuuka and all that crap with just her motorcycle and a new puppy ^__^

Shizuru can wait for her and try to tame Nao in the meantime
Old 2009-03-10, 18:28   Link #129
solarknight123

Yeah I feel sorry for Takeda too. I mean the guy's just in the wrong place at the wrong time and before he barely has a chance of confessing his love to Natsuki, she just rips his head apart. I can't even imagine the amount of hatred he'll receive from all the shiznat fans should the creators decide to hook him up with Natsuki and make them a official couple. Atlantis_Lux, I could see the whole "Shizuru taming Nao while waiting for Natsuki" thing happening lol
Old 2009-03-15, 03:39   Link #130
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Some would call him the king of good fortune. I don't think Takeda agrees.

I'm still praying things work out between him and Natsuki. The poor guy tries so hard...
Doubt that would occur in any other incarnation of the HIME universe.

Even in Mai Hime Destiny Novel, he was rejected...funny thing was his battle with Natsuki in the beginning of that story sort of triggered the rest of the events of different factions going to war with each other again with Natsuki ending up with Shizuru again LOL.

He ends up being some kind of road kill in even the newer story novels like that particular one.

Ah well...."Natsuki no Prelude" pretty much sealed the deal of his fate with Natsuki when Natsuki had sent him a letter of apology with an official rejection inside the letter. This scene took place around the events of episode 25 and on Volume 1 of the Mai Hime Animation data book (On the cliff just after speaking with Sakomizu-sensei, she reflects on this moment where she rejected Takeda and decided to accept someone elses feelings). Takeda apparently could not muster a reply when he received the letter so I assume he was devastated but I'm pretty sure a person like him could find happiness elsewhere. I think he's a strong enough character to bounce back.

Takeda is the Director Masakazu Obara's punching bag it seems since his favorite character is Shizuru and surprisingly enough Tomoe.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2009-03-15, 10:30   Link #131
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

He actually got rejected? Poor guy.

Also, minus points for Natsuki for not telling him in person.
Old 2009-03-15, 16:15   Link #132
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
He actually got rejected? Poor guy.

Also, minus points for Natsuki for not telling him in person.
Well during the events in Mai Hime, it was difficult for anyone to get in touch with each other when they were being transferred or just moved to different locations (recall the time when Aoi and Chie had to leave Fuuka...that was the same time, Takeda himself had to leave therefore, he wasn't exactly easy to get a hold of...plus Natsuki was sort of in the middle of something like every other Hime.

I suppose she could have just officially rejected him in person during Shizuru and Takeda's graduation but then again, the rejection had already been sent as well as an apology for how she behaved towards him but she didn't exactly know she was going to be brought back to life lol.

By the way....if you're curious about the passage someone by the name of Apollyon_0 actually translated all of "Natsuki no Prelude"...it was something I had planned to do in the past but with limited time this person was much quicker (Did a decent job as well)

Here's an excerpt from that page:
http://apollyon-0.livejournal.com/8637.html

"But perhaps... perhaps people are able to live because they love..."
Sakomizu's nonchalant words betrayed the feelings he himself held, even as they were blurted out awkwardly like this.
"Fu..."
Natsuki smiled.
Distancing herself from Takeda's feelings had been easy for her, and thinking about it now filled her with relief, and a little nostalgia. As the school was closed down, besides sending the leaving Takeda a short message - "Thank you. I'm sorry." - she had not been able to muster any reply.
But, for Natsuki, there was still someone else - someone whose feelings she must truly accept.
Even if she didn't fully understand, even then she had to try her best to answer.
- If that's the case, I have decided what path to take...

If you happen to buy the data book, it comes in two volumes. The scene above is actually the last page(s) of the second volume. And that last scene begins with the words...

「いまにして思えば、あのときこそが....」(2nd volume - Page 182)

舞-HiME Animation book Vol. 1

舞-HiME Animation book Vol. 2

Great books...you'll also discover an implication that Natsuki was the first to awaken her abilities as a Hime during Middle-school. Nagi was the one who had mentioned it while he was observing a conversation between Natsuki and Shizuru from afar.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2009-03-15, 17:42   Link #133
solarknight123

Well I'm glad Natsuki was able to apologize in some way to Takeda after bitting off his head so much.
Old 2009-03-17, 14:49   Link #134
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
I find it ironic, and also rather insulting, because a lot of the things he does in Otome are paralel to what Shizuru does in HiME. And yet, fans hate Sergay while at the same time heap praises on Shizuru.

It's almost as if it has more to do with him being a guy rather then the role he represents.
First, I agree that Sergey had a few blips of OOC dialogue and action. But all in all, I still really despised him at the end, mostly for his interactions with Nina. I mean, really, this guy is supposed to be her father (adoptive, but father nonetheless), and he treats Nina like a piece of garbage, knowing her attraction for him and using that to coerce her to commit numerous atrocities.

I just can't see any father that truly loves his children allowing anything like that to come to pass, duty to state bedamned.

But, I've never been a big Shizuru fan either, and I guess I can't understand why she has such popularity. Is it just the fangirls that are that into her, with the whole Ojousama appeal? Or is she actually that well liked by the male demographic? Mai seemed a MUCH more attractive character (personality-wise) than Shizuru in Hime, and Shizuru was pretty much a 1-D non-entity in Otome, IMHO, aside from some fanservice with Natsuki. I honestly thought there were a ton of more interesting characters in Otome.

But in either case, I think Shizuru in Hime and Sergey in Otome were different with regards to their "crimes." While Shizuru went nuts and murdered for Natsuki, she didn't really kill any innocents (First District and almost Nao, who pretty much asked for it), b) she committed the atrocities her self. Sergey, on the other hand, used guile and deceit to betray Arika, then betray his own country, then he manipulated his daughter's love for him to get HER to commit the atrocities for him, because he was too cowardly to either stand up to Nagi for his own daughter's sake (I mean, JESUS CHRIST MAN, it's your own freaking daughter whom you're messing up beyond repair), or do his lord's bidding on his own.

Added: Regarding Sergey's rejection of Arika and Nina's physical attraction, a) I always thought it odd that a daughter (adopted or not) would have that kind of attraction to her father. Arika I could understand, she was young and impressionable and he did seem to care for her on a few occasions, which could kindle those kinds of thoughts, I guess. Which, IMHO, just made his betrayal of her that much more revolting. But with Nina, he seemed to know all along the kinds of feelings she had, and instead of directly confronting her, working it out and working to protect his own daughter, he copped out, let it drag out, cowardly ducked any chance to actually resolve the situation until she already had the blood of thousands on her hands, and even then his "rejection" didn't seem to have any actual care for her involved. All in all, I'd say his whole relationship with Nina was just downright... odd. Almost like informed attributes. We're TOLD he loves her and cares about her, but his actions quite show otherwise (except for his lame attempt at a belated redemption at the end, I guess)...

My 2-pence anyway...

Ciao!
Old 2009-03-17, 16:02   Link #135
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneNineTails View Post

But, I've never been a big Shizuru fan either, and I guess I can't understand why she has such popularity. Is it just the fangirls that are that into her, with the whole Ojousama appeal? Or is she actually that well liked by the male demographic? Mai seemed a MUCH more attractive character (personality-wise) than Shizuru in Hime, and Shizuru was pretty much a 1-D non-entity in Otome, IMHO, aside from some fanservice with Natsuki. I honestly thought there were a ton of more interesting characters in Otome.
It was the whole angsty, unrequited love thing in the beginning that really got to most of us. And her monologue within the drama CD just had 10x the effect because of how much she expressed her immense love for her and even she admitted to feeling that her own love was inappropriate because she was a fellow female. I suppose it's because a lot of fans can relate to her especially being lesbian and falling for someone that may or may not be straight. And Haruka mentioning that her love was rather vile just didn't help...in fact it just helped us support her even more.

Natsuki's backstory (Once again I'm quoting Natsuki No Prelude) has a particular scene where most of us Shizuru admires felt our heart wrench with the same sentiments. It was the time, that Natsuki had congratulated Shizuru for her Seto-kaichou victory. Natsuki had not known that Shizuru only ran for the presidency to assist Natsuki with her "research" but she never admitted that part to Natsuki.

When Natsuki had finally been given access to the intranet, due to Shizuru's political status, Natsuki had become excited over the matter. Shizuru had witnessed this from Natsuki and was quite moved. According to that short novel, she was so overwhelmed that she swiftly and lightly kissed the back of Natsuki's hair while Natsuki was looking up information.

So her heartwrenching, angsty love was the main part of her appeal but the other appeal was her sexy, badgirl appeal at the end too. Some of us just love complex, sexy characters with a secret love. And her aesthetic look also helps along with that damn sexy kyoto-ben that just drips from her mouth. Shindou Naomi, her seiyuu really is versatile.

I believe it was episode 3 or 4 (yes that early into the series) where Shizuru's "interests" were detected....that longing sideways glance. Someone had the audacity to say that perhaps that was a sisterly "look"...LOL, I'm sorry but I do NOT look at my sisters that way. That was indeed a lusty look when Natsuki was leaning over to view Shizuru's laptop monitor. It was that moment I knew right then, that something interesting was about to brew. And there were dozens of hints throughout the series. I suppose I just had my "gaydar" on?

Back in '04, I couldn't find myself liking someone like Mai. I would certainly take Natsuki over her because Mai was just way too boring of a character for me. True she developed this emo-factor halfway through but it was her fickleness that caused me to dislike her when Mai Hime first came out. Plus with her hairstyle, she looked like half the people in Shibuya during that time. It wasn't until Mai Otome, I began to like Mai....perhaps because she wasn't a main character before. Although the scene where Mai went semi-insane in Mai Hime was a real kick. DUring this period there were a lot of Japanese fanartists depicting this kind of behavior in their work. I even had a kick out of the Evil Mai "Pez dispenser that someone had drafted.

The think the only Mai I ever enjoyed and found extremely sexy and fascinating was evil Mai from the Otome Manga.

Heh, heh...I feel like I'm reliving the early days of the Mai Hime forum section where Shizuru came up for discussion. Ah, those were the days...

As for Mai Otome....a bunch of us were already hooked on that pairing so we just transferred over our admiration to the next series....and seeing Natsuki and Shizuru in those ass-tight outfits were very appealing to us NatShiz fans.

Hmmm....I'm one of those mid-30-ish year women that actually prefer Otome over Hime though. *shrugs*

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2009-03-17, 18:44   Link #136
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneNineTails View Post
Or is she actually that well liked by the male demographic?

Lol, forgot to answer this one....It was never really a "male fandom" though I DO know some males that support her...Shizuru's demographic is a rather LARGE female demographic that swing the same way that she does.

And if it were not for us fans that have empathetically put ourselves in her position, she would not have won so many Sunrise Character Polls like the recent one. It's not about bashing hetero characters but rather making an attempt to uplift someone other than the standard "straight" person on top billing. Other walks of life seek to have characters represent them and Shizuru was just that character to do so.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2009-03-18, 10:20   Link #137
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
And if it were not for us fans that have empathetically put ourselves in her position, she would not have won so many Sunrise Character Polls like the recent one. It's not about bashing hetero characters but rather making an attempt to uplift someone other than the standard "straight" person on top billing. Other walks of life seek to have characters represent them and Shizuru was just that character to do so.
Ahh, I see. I can understand that. I personally don't like or dislike Shizuru as a character any more or less because of her sexual orientation. In truth, it wasn't even something I thought about, nor is it something I generally consider when it comes to either fiction or RL, truth be told. I strongly feel that personal choices like that shouldn't be cause for all the rage and prejudice we like to heap on them, especially in the States.

I don't particularly DISlike Shizuru's character, but otherwise I'm just middle of the road. I did like Natsuki's character, because of the immense development and the whole defrosting ice queen thing (which I always like development-wise). As for Mai, I guess I really like watching genuine and spunky characters who really want to do the right thing, but their own immaturity conflicts with their goals. And hopefully by the end, after a lot of hardships because of the immaturity, it gradually dissolves and is replaced by determination. I guess that's why I like characters like Arika from Otome, and Hitomi from Escaflowne too.

But I definitely appreciate hearing a point of view for why Shizuru is such a popular character. I think I have a little better understanding, now.

Ciao!
Old 2009-03-20, 16:47   Link #138
kitten320

Someone had asked why everyone hate Tate... actually he got hated after manga =/
I didn't really read it since seeing OOC Natsuki just killed me x_x But he definetly is hated because of him Natsuki acts like an idiotic fangirl and that almost all HiMEs are after him 0_0 So yeh he was made like HiMEs' whore or something along those lines XD So yeh I hate him for that!

But I like him in anime^^ Don't see anything wrong with him there^^
Old 2009-03-20, 21:32   Link #139
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Someone had asked why everyone hate Tate... actually he got hated after manga =/
I didn't really read it since seeing OOC Natsuki just killed me x_x But he definetly is hated because of him Natsuki acts like an idiotic fangirl and that almost all HiMEs are after him 0_0 So yeh he was made like HiMEs' whore or something along those lines XD So yeh I hate him for that!

But I like him in anime^^ Don't see anything wrong with him there^^
Well Tate didn't really bother me in the manga, though i hated how both Mai AND Natsuki were pawning over him, and I defiantly hated Natsuki's personality and how she was bitchy to Mai for no reason.
Old 2009-03-21, 07:43   Link #140
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarknight123 View Post
Well Tate didn't really bother me in the manga, though i hated how both Mai AND Natsuki were pawning over him, and I defiantly hated Natsuki's personality and how she was bitchy to Mai for no reason.
Well I gues he is hated because OF Natsuki Since he spoiled her to no regognition and turned her from my most favourite character into the most hated one
Closed Thread