AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-01, 16:20   Link #2241
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Seriously, I am not kidding, I don't recall noticing such a thing. Just now I tried to see it in but couln't see two suns in the few episodes I tried. It's weird to miss such a thing but I do these things
Kind of weird for them to have a day-night cycle which seems to be pretty much like our own then.
Look in the outdoor shots in early episodes - you can clearly see two suns in lots of them.

The suns are close together - which isn't surprising, since they'd be a binary pair (orbiting their mutual centre of gravity) - so there wouldn't be any significant difference to the day/night cycle. There probably would be interesting effects on people's shadows, though...
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 16:36   Link #2242
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Simoun isn't even yuri (to me), so I think it's a bit off-topic here, but I'll play along.
I, for one, just want an anime or manga that has interesting characters, a good story, and something that'll have an effect on me and stay with me after it's done. If yuri happens to be included in that, then fine; it's neither an incentive nor a deterrant.
I simply cannot understand why someone would watch a show simply because it's yaoi or yuri, or complain simply because it isn't. Is the quality of the stuff that matters completely irrelevant anymore?
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 17:16   Link #2243
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Simoun isn't even yuri (to me), so I think it's a bit off-topic here, but I'll play along.
I, for one, just want an anime or manga that has interesting characters, a good story, and something that'll have an effect on me and stay with me after it's done. If yuri happens to be included in that, then fine; it's neither an incentive nor a deterrant.
I simply cannot understand why someone would watch a show simply because it's yaoi or yuri, or complain simply because it isn't. Is the quality of the stuff that matters completely irrelevant anymore?
I don't know what you're talking about : I'm not talking about the "quality", rather about the "genre", it has nothing to do with the story....

Even if the story is awesome, I just can't watch it because of its genre. It's like people who never give a try to shoujo or shounen...
But I guess some threads are like that : give your thought and get a kick *sigh*
hitokirigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 18:19   Link #2244
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitokirigirl View Post
I don't know what you're talking about : I'm not talking about the "quality", rather about the "genre", it has nothing to do with the story....
That's my whole point: quality over genre. Would you rather watch a really great series with no yaoi or a medicore series full of it?

Quote:
But I guess some threads are like that : give your thought and get a kick *sigh*
I'm not "giving you a kick," I'm just trying to see if you're one of those mindless yaoi fans or not. You don't seem like it, but it's kinda hard to tell sometimes.
Old 2006-11-01, 18:33   Link #2245
JediNight
キズランダム

I just finished watching ep20 and:

Spoiler:
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 18:40   Link #2246
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
The suns are close together - which isn't surprising, since they'd be a binary pair (orbiting their mutual centre of gravity) - so there wouldn't be any significant difference to the day/night cycle.
Yes, if they weren't a binary pair than the day-night cycle should have been different...and I would have probably noticed them being two. I noticed just now that the two suns can be seen even in the first episode which I have watched quite a lot of times without seeing this detail.

Quote:
For one thing yuri or yaoi seems to have (or at least used to have) the appeal of rarity - if you want to watch series with boy-girl romance there are tons of them, so I guess there are people who want to see something new. Secondly, I doubt many people watch a show only because it's yuri or yaoi - they might try to watch it because of that but if that alone is usually not enough to keep them interested if the quality is not there. It's just like any other sub-genre - for instance if one is a fan action of animes with a lot of air combats but hates mechas, he wil probably do his best to check out any anime that falls into that category, not because he is sure it will be awesome but because there is not exactly an abundance of it. But even if he is fan of something that offers him a great choice, he would still choose series based on this something - let's say he will prefer to watch the new Sunrise mecha than the new Sunrise samurai series.
Of course the quality matters but you can't pick what to watch based on the actual quality of it since you don't know in advance whether you appreciate it or bash it as overrated, so you go for elements that you think you will like, be it yaoi, yuri, mecha or just good old fanservice. Why bother checking out something that is supposed to be quality but according to its description it has things you don't like watching at all - let's say it's a harem series?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 20:15   Link #2247
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Of course the quality matters but you can't pick what to watch based on the actual quality of it since you don't know in advance whether you appreciate it or bash it as ove , so you go for elements that you think you will like, be it yaoi, yuri, mecha or just good old fanservice. Why bother checking out something that is supposed to be quality but according to its description it has things you don't like watching at all - let's say it's a harem series?
Ah, I see what you mean.

I do this quite often, actually. The most recent example being Kanon, which I'm currently loving to pieces. From the descriptions and heresay, it sounded like every other bishoujo series ever made. But, people kept insisting that it was good, and they were people who generally know what they're talking about, so I gave it a shot.
I don't really like mecha, but I love Evangelion. I don't really like space opera, but I love Crest of the Stars. I don't really like harem, but I love Love Hina. I don't really like mystery, but I love Higurashi. I don't really like mahou shoujo/shounen, but I love Negima. I don't really like yuri, but I love Simoun.
Maybe I'm just weird.
Old 2006-11-02, 01:41   Link #2248
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler for episode 20:
Old 2006-11-02, 16:37   Link #2249
Conri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Thanks! The ones that've shipped so far have all been copies, although most have the Studio DEEN Red Non-disclosure Stamp of Doom on them so they feel sort of real... One that's still to come was shown with a colour illustration on the cover, so either it's a fake or it's a bit special compared to the rest. Mind you I'm mostly buying them for the content, to see what the animators were working off for each episode, so picking up an original would just be a very nice bonus.
Heh, I noticed that red Stamp of Doom on the auction pictures. And to clarify what I meant by "original pen writing"...I meant notes or marks on the copies. To come across one of the original storyboards for sale would be very rare indeed. I saw an original from Miyuki-chan in Wonderland go for 40,000+ yen a while ago. Of course, this was also unusually well drawn for a storyboard (most are pretty rough, as I'm sure you know).

Quote:
Seriously, I am not kidding, I don't recall noticing such a thing. Just now I tried to see it in but couln't see two suns in the few episodes I tried. It's weird to miss such a thing but I do these things
You aren't alone. Maybe it's just one of those things I accepted in such a way that it didn't stick out in my memory (even upon rewatching)...

Quote:
Do so, we have to get at least to 2500 posts mark in this thread.
Now, there is a good goal.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just weird.
Pin pon! It's just another word for unique. Personally, I like shows for their characters, not their genres. However, there are a few I tend to gravitate towards...comedy, certain types of action, shows with strong/interesting females, gender-bending shows.
Conri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 18:59   Link #2250
Matrim

Quote:
I don't really like mecha, but I love Evangelion. I don't really like space opera, but I love Crest of the Stars. I don't really like harem, but I love Love Hina. I don't really like mystery, but I love Higurashi. I don't really like mahou shoujo/shounen, but I love Negima. I don't really like yuri, but I love Simoun.
Well, you know what they say about the exceptions that confirm the rule. Seriously, most people are likely to like at least a handful of titles outside of the genres that interest them but the problem is actually checking out such shows in the first place. Since you mentioned about Kanon - agaisnt my better judgement, I tried watching one episode, did not like it and stopped right there. If it was let's say a mystery/thriller I would have probably tried watching another episode, since it's a conversion from ero-game with a lot of moe characters I am extremely reluctant to do so. Unless one knows reviewers or has friends whose tastes he knows he can trust, I think it's hard to find a incentive to try something new and different, let alone something that seems to be from a category/genre that one dislikes. For instance why should someone for whom anime basically means shounen with a lot of action bother to watch anything that does not have these elements? So what I am trying to say that sticking to one or few genres is not necessarily a bad thing, it just reflects what the person in question is looking for and how much effort he is prepared to make in order to find it.

Quote:
Personally, I like shows for their characters, not their genres.
Interesting. These days I find that characters really make or break shows for me. I need to have at least one characters whom I can symphatise with and care about, even a little. Also, shows with great characters seem to have a greater replay value than those with great plot but not so interesting characters. For instance the interaction between the Simoun characters makes the beautiful battles and the main storyline about the war pale in comparison. I think I would have certainly liked Simoun if it was all about the battles and the twists and turns of the war and not so heavily focused on character development but I doubt I would have loved it if the characters were mediocre or even interesting but not properly developed.

Old 2006-11-02, 21:02   Link #2251
Ptolemi
Banned

I was thinking about watching this anime, but i didn't get to it.

So is this a happy ending one?

Is this another one where the main couple seems to be embarassed by almost everything that seems to have emotion in it or when their bodies get close or touch in any way?

Also is this where they go out early and date trough out or in the end?
Ptolemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 21:21   Link #2252
Matrim

Quote:
So is this a happy ending one?
Spoiler:

Quote:
Is this another one where the main couple seems to be embarassed by almost everything that seems to have emotion in it or when their bodies get close or touch in any way?
Spoiler:

Quote:
Also is this where they go out early and date trough out or in the end?
Spoiler:

Old 2006-11-02, 23:36   Link #2253
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Unless one knows reviewers or has friends whose tastes he knows he can trust
I like Simoun. Qualifications met

Quote:
Interesting. These days I find that characters really make or break shows for me. I need to have at least one characters whom I can symphatise with and care about, even a little. Also, shows with great characters seem to have a greater replay value than those with great plot but not so interesting characters. For instance the interaction between the Simoun characters makes the beautiful battles and the main storyline about the war pale in comparison. I think I would have certainly liked Simoun if it was all about the battles and the twists and turns of the war and not so heavily focused on character development but I doubt I would have loved it if the characters were mediocre or even interesting but not properly developed.
Which is exactly why I think you'd like Kanon. Normally I wouldn't have even tried it, but then I found out something: Kanon is like the Jimi Hendrix of moe - it only feels familiar because everyone likes to (often quite poorly) imitate it.
It's quite popular and needs no advertising; I'm merely suggesting it here because people who like Simoun obviously enjoy interesting character-based affairs, and I think Kanon is relevant to these interests.
Old 2006-11-03, 00:42   Link #2254
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitokirigirl View Post
Yay, time for daily bitching
Completely off topic, but I guess that mostly guys watch that yuri anime ? the number of replies to this thread makes me shiver....
Why the heck anime studios don't animate yaoi (gay) stuff ? Yaoi manga are flourishing way more than yuri stuff, and yet, rare OAVs are released...
Damn, more women should work in animation business !!!!!
Well, among anime fans, there are as small number of guys who watch yuri anime featuring girls only, as girls who watch yuri or yaoi.
(Interesting facet of the relevant fandom is that yaoi fans are mostly girls while yuri has half guys and half girls "at least" in East Asia, unlike seemingly prevalent Western misunderstanding like "most of yuri fans are guys.")
Apparently, they look as if many because the genre of yuri has grown recently and there are outstanding fanatics.
Yuri is still a minor genre.

Also yaoi seems much bigger than yuri in novel and manga, and does not fall behind so much in anime.
See what yaoi clamed for 2005,2006 : Loveless, Skisiou, Gakuen Heaven,
while yuri had : KnM, Kashimashi, Simoun, Stopani.
And the only anime title that can be called a hit among yuri is Marimitte.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 09:48   Link #2255
JediNight
キズランダム

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-03, 10:38   Link #2256
Matrim

JediNight, the big discussion of the ending is some pages back and you'd better read it if you want more detailed opinions but I can understand your frustration.

Spoiler:

Quote:
I like Simoun. Qualifications met
You seem to like Suzumiya Haruhi too, so sorry you fail.

Quote:
Which is exactly why I think you'd like Kanon. Normally I wouldn't have even tried it, but then I found out something: Kanon is like the Jimi Hendrix of moe - it only feels familiar because everyone likes to (often quite poorly) imitate it.
It's quite popular and needs no advertising; I'm merely suggesting it here because people who like Simoun obviously enjoy interesting character-based affairs, and I think Kanon is relevant to these interests.
I almost got a deadly moe overdose from just one episode. Character driven series become unbearable if you don't like the characters but I might try one more episode due to excessive boredom that I am feeling today. Wait for my rant.

Old 2006-11-03, 10:43   Link #2257
JediNight
キズランダム

Ending frustrations aside: Aaeru has one of the cutest hairstyles I've seen in anime. It's very rare for an anime to go into that much detail with the stray-unkempt-hair look.
Old 2006-11-03, 10:45   Link #2258
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Ending spoilers:

Spoiler:
Spoiler for episode 26:
Old 2006-11-03, 11:21   Link #2259
JediNight