Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-13, 06:26   Link #121
Jn183

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietpimp
First off you don't have to call people retarded .

Second I need characters that is shown. How bout some villains. Only seen them punch each other wow. I stopped after like 50 or so ep btw so I might not know what I'm talking about :P but what turned me off from that anime was the oogly drawing and the crappy Nakama crap or watever it is.
it's my NINDO!!!! it's my NINDO!!! *wink*

Saw upt o 50ish eh? You must have saw Arlong arc which show the octopus exploding in the water aka dead. Arlong and his crew are dead. Maybe not Chu, the weird mouth looking one. We don't need the main casts to says Yes these villians R.I.P, do we?

K done with that quote

To people typing no reoccurring villian:
Alvida (Since ep 1) O_o
Capt. Morgan (Since ep 2) O_o
Buggy (Since ep 5?) O_o
Jango (Since ep 14ish) O_o
Fullbody Fist (Since ep 20ish) O_o
Blackbread (Since ep 80ish) O_o
Maybe Wapol??

Last edited by Jn183; 2006-09-13 at 06:46.
Old 2006-09-13, 08:51   Link #122
S_C_L-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn183
it's my NINDO!!!! it's my NINDO!!! *wink*

Saw upt o 50ish eh? You must have saw Arlong arc which show the octopus exploding in the water aka dead. Arlong and his crew are dead. Maybe not Chu, the weird mouth looking one. We don't need the main casts to says Yes these villians R.I.P, do we?

K done with that quote

To people typing no reoccurring villian:
Alvida (Since ep 1) O_o
Capt. Morgan (Since ep 2) O_o
Buggy (Since ep 5?) O_o
Jango (Since ep 14ish) O_o
Fullbody Fist (Since ep 20ish) O_o
Blackbread (Since ep 80ish) O_o
Maybe Wapol??
not as if any 1 is gonna take a guy called "vietpimp" seriously anyway *rolls eyes*
__________________________________________________ _________

Enel is still alive and will come back fo' sho' (maybe another sky island arc?)
Crocodile comes back later on (most likely next arc)
Black Beard & Co. will be back (easily one of the big 3 other pirate crews)
that iron jaw guy makes an appearance...
Hawk Eyes Mihawk is gonna be a big player in a later arc (along with all the other shichibukai)
Smoker
the ENTIRETY of the WORLD GOVERNMENT... and with chapter 426, we know just how BAD that is for the strawhats...
Old 2006-09-13, 15:51   Link #123
Hiking_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezard
I find OP´s absurd world sometimes fun, but it’s starting to tire me. (I can create absurd stuff too, but that doesn’t mean I am being creative. Ex.: a gigantic cat that runs in a lake, explode, turns into rain of dogs, and forms a land of dead monkeys. This is not creative, it´s absurd). The show is also more childish.
That's kind of funny, because I just finished watching episode 1-140 of Naruto and I saw a giant frog, snake, and slug running around; the slug exploded into a rain of smaller slugs; and I saw a half dead monkey man that can turn into a stick.
Old 2006-09-13, 16:48   Link #124
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

Not to slam anyones opinions but I find OP to be a bit childish. I mean sure you could argue the same thing for Naruto and Bleach that they are predominately aimed at children but OP doesn't have the same kind of intensity or philosphy to it as Bleach or Naruto.

Its funny in places but I feel like it trys to hard to be quirky or mystical sometimes.
Old 2006-09-13, 17:08   Link #125
nduns

You know, I'm going to say something that even surprises me and that I thought I'd never catch myself saying:

One Piece is the only show I've seen that actually makes sense all the time. Now, you got Inuyasha. Some like that better because it's gorier and, well, you get the stereotypes that no dub fan has ever overlooked before. Still, it's mostly "Look, there's a random villain! Even if he doesn't have a jewel shard, we'll still kill him anyway. First, Inuyasha will use wind scar and... wait... that's it!"

You got One Piece. This is always "I can't stand this guy doing such bad things and making people suffer and ruining the world anymore. I'm going to kill him and free the people of his wickedness."

See, all the action anime shows that everyone likes often contain one or two successful story elements. One Piece contains every successful story element known to man ('cept maybe romance). Honestly, Naruto is just a bunch of running gags and the same moves over and over again. One Piece has different moves in every major fight, character developement and fresh humor all the time. If anything, Inuyasha and Naruto try to hard by literally staying the same and even using the same villains 2 or 3 times.

Of course, one of the main reasons OP is less popular and Bleach and Naruto is simple: People look at the character design and call it childish without even watching enough episodes to get the feel of it. Tries too hard? This is the story Oda always wanted to see as a kid, and when his dream comes true (And successful), Americans put it down frequently. Now, yes, originally, it was intended for kids, but then it became PG-13. Now even adults love it.

Now let's compare fights again. Inuyasha: Used to be cool, now it's Wind Scar in every fight.
Naruto: Clone Jutsu and a bunch of random moves meant to impress the crowd all the time.
One Piece: Doesn't always involve the same attacks over and over again. Luffy uses a different attack to beat every big foe now. Same goes for every character.
Old 2006-09-13, 17:53   Link #126
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Some decent points have been made against OP. Saying it's childish however is going too far though imo. The drawing style is quirky and cartoony, aswell as the gags, but the development and story aren't exactly childish (except the 4kids version perhaps). I happen to like the combination, I think OP is simply fun to watch throughout, and the cartoony humor plays a big part in that. I do agree a bit about the lack of actual deaths besides those that happened in the past. There are so many that shouldn't still be breathing after such a brutal fight. Or f.e. Wapol not drowning after getting bazooka'd into the sea; there's no way his men could have gotten to him in time. I guess that's another aspect of the cartooniness - drop a 100ton weight on them but they still survive like Tom & Jerry.
Old 2006-09-13, 19:01   Link #127
S_C_L-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroguy
Not to slam anyones opinions but I find OP to be a bit childish. I mean sure you could argue the same thing for Naruto and Bleach that they are predominately aimed at children but OP doesn't have the same kind of intensity or philosphy to it as Bleach or Naruto.

Its funny in places but I feel like it trys to hard to be quirky or mystical sometimes.
but it does have symbolism. which IMHO > philosophy (which bleach/naruto/inu yasha dont have much of anyway, they just reuse the little they have over and over again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
Some decent points have been made against OP. Saying it's childish however is going too far though imo. The drawing style is quirky and cartoony, aswell as the gags, but the development and story aren't exactly childish (except the 4kids version perhaps). I happen to like the combination, I think OP is simply fun to watch throughout, and the cartoony humor plays a big part in that. I do agree a bit about the lack of actual deaths besides those that happened in the past. There are so many that shouldn't still be breathing after such a brutal fight. Or f.e. Wapol not drowning after getting bazooka'd into the sea; there's no way his men could have gotten to him in time. I guess that's another aspect of the cartooniness - drop a 100ton weight on them but they still survive like Tom & Jerry.
i think its fair to say that Anime originally started because the mangakas were trying to imitate American cartoons.

Look at Astro Boy, the characters have very rounded and sometimes caricature-esk features depending on their character traits. so Oda actually created something alot closer to what anime was initially trying to be.
Old 2006-09-13, 19:25   Link #128
Hiking_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroguy

I actually think Naruto is less intense than OP. I'd say about 40% of all the Naruto anime is flashbacks to someone's sad past where they were lonely, or their parents died, and how all of these events that happened to them in their past led them to strive for greatness or recognition or validation (this applies to Naruto, Sasuke, Haku, Chouji, Kimimaru, Gaara, and probably many more). That sort of thing is good the first few times, but if you use the same type of story again and again for each character that you come across, the sadness of the situation loses some of it's impact. Ninjas are supposed to act like tough, skillful, emotionless soldiers, but in almost all the episodes I've seen (and I'm not even exaggerating) a ninja is crying their eyes out and the "sadness and sorrow" music starts playing in the background. I still like Naruto, but they go overboard on the emo.
Old 2006-09-13, 19:54   Link #129
nduns

Quote:
Saying it's childish however is going too far though imo.
So true, but this isn't the worst thing I've heard people say about it. I once heard a person say OP was more retarded than the pirate from Donkey Kong.
Old 2006-09-14, 00:02   Link #130
regasatanum

my initial impression of One piece wanst good. but after a few episode i got addicted.

...and i stopped watching Naruto anime or read their manga, i will rather spend my pastime re-watch One piece.

I think its quite true that One Piece is less popular... but i think its all because of the marketing,advertisment strategy that made naruto/bleach more popular. Otherwise they are owned by Luffy.
Old 2006-09-14, 03:40   Link #131
Jn183

Death count:

Naruto:
Haku
3rd hokage
Zabuza(sp?)
Hiyata(sp?) (the ninja that look sick)
Forgot if those jounin got kill by Oro's 4 follower
Village people die (invasion of leaf village)
Genin's exam (forest)
The 3 sound village ninja
The two people that try to tell Gaara to lose to Sasuke

Flashback death:
Uchiha's clan
Haku's clan
Gaara's uncle?
4th hokage
Kakashi's friend
5th hokage's BF/bro

One Piece:
People that arlong's crew killed
Marines that Don Krieg 1st mate killed
The Unluckies
The cat brother (kuro's pirate)
Arlong's crew
Mr. 11
Miss Monday
Mr. 9
BW billion (Ace roasted them)
Mr.1
Miss Doubelfinger
Arabasta's people
Those pirate Crocodile killed
Bounty hunters that got kill at Whiskey peak
(Lets stop at Arabasta arc)

FlashBack Death:
Gol D Roger
bandit that kidnap Luffy
Belleme (sp?)
Dr Hilluku (sp?)
Usopp's mother

I forgot alot of Naruto stuffs since I lose so much interest in it. Feel free to add in what I'm missing before Naruto's filler.

Anyway, I don't see how Naruto surpass One Piece in death unless 3rd Hokage counts as 5000 death. *wink*

So please stop it with OP blows b/c it does nto have people dying. O_o
Old 2006-09-14, 06:51   Link #132
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Actually, that octopus mermen from Arlong's crew and Mr.1 seem to still be alive based on the cover mini stories. Anyway, there was that time Don Krieg killed one of his men, unless you want to argue that getting shot to the chest area and falling into the sea isn't a reflection of death. And the stuff with Shanks and Luffy being a killed isn't really a flashback since in the manga these things happen in part of a chronology where the first ep and other stuff showed before bringing up Shanks was done so to bring some action and interest first then move on to bringing Luffy's flashback of Shanks.
Old 2006-09-14, 08:09   Link #133
S_C_L-1

also, Zoro's childhood friend dies, all of that fat *****'s crew (shes the only survivor), mr 14? i think that was his number... the guy that wore a crown...

and after the Alabasta arc, there are a ton of deaths, both flashback and non-flashback... and i mean a TON
Old 2006-09-15, 05:00   Link #134
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Yes, there are deaths, but those are mostly: 1) in the past (flashbacks) 2) cannon fodder (unsignificant, nameless characters) or 3) animals (the OP crew kills tons of animals for food, and since the Unluckies are animals they were... unlucky). I suppose I wasn' t specific enough before. In the current timeflow, there are no confirmed deaths of (somewhat) significant characters that I can think of. There are plenty of cases where you would assume they were done for, but it turns out some are still alive after all so I'm starting to doubt all of these cases. One instance in particular that I hated was that Pell survived, it killed the drama of his self-sacrifice for me.

Last edited by Trax; 2006-09-15 at 06:20.
Old 2006-09-15, 09:16   Link #135
S_C_L-1

Quote:
One instance in particular that I hated was that Pell survived, it killed the drama of his self-sacrifice for me.
agreed, completely anti-climactic.
Old 2006-09-15, 10:30   Link #136
sleroux
seigaku substitute

All the characters who should be dead!!
main
usopp
ace (killed by blackbeard)

secondary
sanjis master! him with the awsome kick
smoker!
crocodile!!!!!!!
all the agents from baroque
king cobra
princess vivi
all their servants
him warrior with the bazooka, from skyisland
captain silverfox and crew, (by general iceman)
rockstar
every cp-9

if they were all dead, no one is gonna doubt that OP is the most popular animation
Old 2006-09-15, 12:51   Link #137
Dual247

so true sleroux

anyway, i don't understand how people could keep using that reason to compare popularity between the series. would any of the "should be dead", if they had happened, make you like the series more or less? i mean seriously, jeez. the only death/resurrection that i sorta have a major problem with was pell from arabasta. his death probably would've been more impactful towards the nation. but ah well, it leads to some nice and fun miniarcs. so anyway, those that just say how the lack of death makes this series less interesting or popular is just reaching at straws.

i mean, come on people. we all know why its less popular. its the freakin marketing here in north america. the way this show is treated with the god-awful dubbed version, who the hell wants to get near that piece of shit? they changed it from what it is to what it isn't. on the other hand, we have naruto. that license is being treated as gold and with care over at cartoon network. they did it right and did it with justice. sure there are some edits here and there with some blood, but blood still exist. and then the voice dub, it actually sound decent, and at times, sounds great. there's no doubt which series is being taken seriously.

i mean, is it any wonder why one piece is more popular than naruto overseas? OP is the most popular series in japan. why? are the people there just weird. no. its because they actually get the true story of the series, not some butchered up, barneyfied version that the dumb execs at 4Sh%t thinks will best benefit their company and only their company. if OP was marketing the right way from day 1 with materials true to the source, i have no doubt it'd be one of the top shows in america alongside naruto. and that's the bottom line cuz stone... cuz i said so
Old 2006-09-15, 13:18   Link #138
S_C_L-1

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145
Old 2006-09-15, 13:42   Link #139
Dual247

so mean.... yet sooo true. sad
Old 2006-09-16, 09:58   Link #140
Undertaker

Awwwwww! That's too funny ^__^

but like Dual247 said, it is so true....... -__-
Closed Thread