AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2014-03-26, 02:14   Link #1
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Argentina agrees to host Russian military bases

Full article here:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/argent...merica-sleeps/

As an Argie, I'm flabbergasted and worried. Looks like we're the next Cuba. I guess you'll see me in arriving on the states on a canoe soon enough

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 02:43   Link #2
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Bringing the war to their own backyard, huh?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 02:47   Link #3
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Basically that. My guess is that Russia feels threatened what with the whole Romanian missile defense systems and the Syria crisis and constant NATO meddling on her backyard.

Latin america, as well as most of the 3rd world has been basically forgotten by almost everyone, which is why Russia is now building relations with them.

Nicaragua and Venezuela are soon to follow with the military bases.

All in all, weapon sellers will go richer while my poor Latin American neighbours as well as me will go even poorer.

Old 2014-03-26, 02:48   Link #4
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Could be just a symbolic show case (like with Syria), or to provide loyal troops for anti-coup situations (like the case with Venezuela). So i will not so hurry to call this the beginning of World War 3......

....yet
Old 2014-03-26, 02:59   Link #5
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

This should still be treated by congress, I'm going to keep you posted on this. I live in the capital and I'll most likely be outside opposing this BS.

However, this is the same congress that made a very controversial treaty with Iran last year. However this is too serious.

Old 2014-03-26, 03:04   Link #6
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Aren't you guys still in deep trouble with the insane inflation over there?

Guess Queen Christina is afraid of a coup or even revolution and want some Russian guns to back her up.

Good luck bro.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 03:11   Link #7
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Inflation is kicking in high gear now.

At least the IMF told the government to stop lying to us and they came out with a measurement (Which is still way off) of 3,4% inflation in FEB.

3,4% x 12 = Annual inflation.

Yeah, Estimates are not looking good. I do believe +30% annual was considered hyperinflation. Remember the Weimar Republic?

And this was an official figure. Private estimates go up to 5% in Feb.

My guess is that she got a gazillion of cash for this deal. The IMF I believe turned their backs on her so she turned to more... loanshark-ish source.

This pisses me off greatly because we were almost always neutral, historically. This breaks that tendency.

Old 2014-03-26, 05:19   Link #8
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

And I though inflation in Vietnam is bad.

Can't stay neutral forever, though. It's either being a world power yourself, or put under someone's umbrella.
Old 2014-03-26, 05:28   Link #9
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Basically that. My guess is that Russia feels threatened what with the whole Romanian missile defense systems and the Syria crisis and constant NATO meddling on her backyard.

Latin america, as well as most of the 3rd world has been basically forgotten by almost everyone, which is why Russia is now building relations with them.

Nicaragua and Venezuela are soon to follow with the military bases.

All in all, weapon sellers will go richer while my poor Latin American neighbours as well as me will go even poorer.
Very reasonable analysis. However, it misses one key aspect: what is in it for Argentina? If everything is true, then the US is not going to be very happy about it (but seriously, with their capability, it shouldn't be a big threat), it would be a big surprise that the only thing Argentina gets from this deal is just some dollars. Argentina leaders should have their own calculations. They certainly didn't do it out of ideology or pressure from Russia.
Old 2014-03-26, 06:12   Link #10
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Very reasonable analysis. However, it misses one key aspect: what is in it for Argentina? If everything is true, then the US is not going to be very happy about it (but seriously, with their capability, it shouldn't be a big threat), it would be a big surprise that the only thing Argentina gets from this deal is just some dollars. Argentina leaders should have their own calculations. They certainly didn't do it out of ideology or pressure from Russia.
I take it as Argentina's government is aiming for a dictatorship, and decided that it would be handy to have Russian troops to kill their own citizens when the riots start. Sort of the reverse of Ukraine; The Argentinian government does in this case, welcome Russian occupation, because they are too far away to be annexed.
Old 2014-03-26, 06:27   Link #11
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Falklands? Would, or could such a move be used as a way to push the UK out?
Old 2014-03-26, 06:37   Link #12
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Falklands? Would, or could such a move be used as a way to push the UK out?
Russia probably will NOT help Argentina invade anywhere. There is not enough benefits. And anyway, the Falklands claim was just an excuse to distract the citizens. If they get Russian troops to purge rioters, there is no more need to pretend they want the Falklands.
Old 2014-03-26, 07:02   Link #13
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Not much change, other than Northrop.

And at a good time too.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 07:53   Link #14
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I take it as Argentina's government is aiming for a dictatorship, and decided that it would be handy to have Russian troops to kill their own citizens when the riots start. Sort of the reverse of Ukraine; The Argentinian government does in this case, welcome Russian occupation, because they are too far away to be annexed.
Not really, Russia is not stupid enough to intervene in an internal dispute so far from home. What they can do is veto any UN resolution and intervention as a perm security council member and let it go bloody while the world watches like Syria.

What I do suspect is that Russia needs another place to sell it's goods, now that Europe is beginning to diversify away from it. I was told previously that Russia accepts barter trades for military hardware so those countries hard up for cash can use goods instead. Not sure that still stands.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 07:58   Link #15
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Not really, Russia is not stupid enough to intervene in an internal dispute so far from home. What they can do is veto any UN resolution and intervention as a perm security council member and let it go bloody while the world watches like Syria.

What I do suspect is that Russia needs another place to sell it's goods, now that Europe is beginning to diversify away from it. I was told previously that Russia accepts barter trades for military hardware so those countries hard up for cash can use goods instead. Not sure that still stands.
Agree! And not only Latin America, but Arabic Countries (http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/fr/c...ab-world.html#) too.
Old 2014-03-26, 07:59   Link #16
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
It still does, but on a factional scale. Otherwise how did Hezbollah get those Kornet rockets?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 08:01   Link #17
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Can't tell if you are being serious or simply trolling.

Seriously though, a Russia base in Argentina doesn't even make sense for Russia itself. They don't have much interest in that part of the world. Argentina doesn't occupy a strategic location, nor does Russia have a huge trade with South American countries. There is no cultural or ideology alliances. Nothing. Why do they want to spend a huge sum of money each year to maintain a foreign base? Just to annoy the US?

More practically, it is very dangerous to set up a military base on a foreign land which is not in an alliance with you. How many times has the US soldiers got into trouble in Japan? Who is going to bail out the Russian soldiers if one or two of them get too "adventurous"? Even worse, setting up a base in a place where your influence can't reach is just asking for trouble. Hypothetically, say someone got killed, the Russians say he is a spy, and the US says it is just a tourist got lost. Now the US are driving their aircraft carrier down and demand an apology and the removal of the base. What are the Russians going to do in that case? Nothing, there is nothing they can do in such a scenario except to bend to the US's will.

So all in all, this whole thing make very little sense, which tells me that this is either something blown out of proportion (like selling of hardware which are accompanied by personal trainers, say), or downright false.
Old 2014-03-26, 08:12   Link #18
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
So all in all, this whole thing make very little sense, which tells me that this is either something blown out of proportion (like selling of hardware which are accompanied by personal trainers, say), or downright false.
Two months ago it made no sense for Russia to invade Ukraine. What we think makes sense or not has very little to do with reality.

Historians, in fact, spent their days trying to justify the silly shit countries end up doing all the time. Most of the justifications only sort of make sense after the dust cleared, and not when it is actually happening.
Old 2014-03-26, 08:13   Link #19
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

*Conspiracy hat on*

Maybe Putin just created a little 'crisis' for the US to solve/work on, and win over public confidence over international issues. So they can save face and overlook Crimea's incident?

Something like "Yes, we let the Russian took over Crimea, but we totally prevented them from setting up military base in Argentina"

*Conspiracy hat off*
Old 2014-03-26, 09:30   Link #20
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Yup, Vallen is as radical as usual!