AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-02-06, 16:54   Link #221
Torri_fay_torren@hot
Former # 47

What was really so incredible was that it was Yumika that was doing it, and yet you were still more scared of Natsu. True mastermind inded. I am a little worred though about a few things.
It was like kyoko got in to deep.
And also, Natsu might just be to strong for Rumi-chan, the protaganist. Can the protaganist win out against such evil?
She might get caught up in Natsu's pace. Like Sho did in the PV.
Old 2009-02-06, 17:16   Link #222
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Natsu starts corrupting the whole BoxR plot XD
Soon she takes over the whole filming and become the director too!:P...And then She renames that to Eden Natsu...XD
Just kidding
(Sry can't help it...i love the seemingly passive but overly manipulative characters...be it good or evil...)
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 17:27   Link #223
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I loved the chapter but I can't help but wonder....do Directors always let actors ad lib so much as long as it makes for good footage? They are basically changing his script and doing whatever fits the (manga) plot. I love it all don't get me wrong, just thought that it's weird whenever there is any sort of behind the scenes look at acting in a manga (ive read others with acting themes) they try to show the main characters skill by having them think on their feet and improvise. Isn't the role of a good actor to become the character but also to follow the script? I don't know a lot about real life acting so I'm genuinely curious as to how off from reality this is or if it's actually par for the course. Anyone know?
Old 2009-02-06, 19:02   Link #224
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
I loved the chapter but I can't help but wonder....do Directors always let actors ad lib so much as long as it makes for good footage?
For the actual bullying scenes, they're supposed to be ad-libbed though - it's not detailed in the script. The director wanted them modern and "real"... and got a bit more than he bargained for.

Quote:
They are basically changing his script and doing whatever fits the (manga) plot. I love it all don't get me wrong, just thought that it's weird whenever there is any sort of behind the scenes look at acting in a manga (ive read others with acting themes) they try to show the main characters skill by having them think on their feet and improvise. Isn't the role of a good actor to become the character but also to follow the script? I don't know a lot about real life acting so I'm genuinely curious as to how off from reality this is or if it's actually par for the course. Anyone know?
For something like stage acting, ad-libbing would be dangerously risky - though of course, the actors can sort out potential variations and customisations in advance. For film and pre-recorded TV, it would be largely up to the director I imagine. The script can be changed on the day - either because of the director's whims or because the actors are able to persuade the director to make changes. I can't really such much more than that.

I know what you mean though - this is a strong theme with Maya in Glass Mask.

In Kyouko's case, she hasn't actually done much normal acting that's actually been commercially used. As a rough summary:

Bo is only partially scripted - ie some ad-libbing is to be expected. For the Kyurara commercial, they had no script and only rough directing. For the PV, there was no spoken script, and everything had to be done via facial expressions - and had to be redone until gotten right. For Dark Moon, once Kyouko had actually fully developed her Mio, it doesn't feel like she did any improvisation - she did whatever Ogata asked her to do, which included changes he thought of. Though of course, Kyouko did change Mio's hair-style into something rather different from the script. But, Mio gets few lines. For BOX"R", Kyouko has been sticking to the script and director's instructions pretty well I think - even though Natsu's visuals/impression has changed a lot, that's not ad-libbing. The bullying scenes are supposed to be ad-libbed (though we don't really get their context, so far). So far, only Mio and Natsu are Kyouko's proper acting jobs - Chouko (from all the way back in vol 2) could have been though.

Curiously, while Kyouko's acting resume is still very thin, she has a lot of experience with ad-libbing outside "pro" work - the "acting test" which also helped Maria, the Kyurara acting tests, pretending to be Mizuki for Ren and more recently, Kuon. All of that was difficult - required creativity and quick thinking.
Old 2009-02-06, 19:44   Link #225
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
I know what you mean though - this is a strong theme with Maya in Glass Mask.
Wow. You really did know what I mean! Maya was exactly who I was thinking about when I thought about this little acting business chalk talk. I wasn't sure if it was maybe the way Japanese see acting differently. Differences in culture always fascinate me for some reason.

Western acting seems more rigid and structured than what I've seen of Japanese acting, but then again mostly what I've seen is from manga or anime about acting so it's not like I have much to go on.

From my Japanese literature and film studies seminar I learned that Noh, Bunraku, and Kabuki are all pretty rigid as well, so maybe there really is no defined "Japanese" way of acting. Then again ...why should there be. I'm just rambling at this point.

I just think it would be surprising to find out that the Japanese prefer a more ad-lib type of style for stage acting, when they have a tradition of being *very* strict when doing the more traditional Japanese stage performances.
Old 2009-02-06, 23:08   Link #226
Torri_fay_torren@hot
Former # 47

Quote:
Wow. You really did know what I mean! Maya was exactly who I was thinking about when I thought about this little acting business chalk talk. I wasn't sure if it was maybe the way Japanese see acting differently. Differences in culture always fascinate me for some reason.

Western acting seems more rigid and structured than what I've seen of Japanese acting, but then again mostly what I've seen is from manga or anime about acting so it's not like I have much to go on.

From my Japanese literature and film studies seminar I learned that Noh, Bunraku, and Kabuki are all pretty rigid as well, so maybe there really is no defined "Japanese" way of acting. Then again ...why should there be. I'm just rambling at this point.

I just think it would be surprising to find out that the Japanese prefer a more ad-lib type of style for stage acting, when they have a tradition of being *very* strict when doing the more traditional Japanese stage performances.
We do have to keep in mind that that was a rehersal. And it was only a small scene the directer said. But I do get what your saying. I haven't read Maya but I had the same thought as well.Still if I was the directer I would totaly go with that scene. They would have to edit her screming for the directer but still. It was scary.
Old 2009-02-07, 19:06   Link #227
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Ultimately, it may be down to plot dynamics and developing interesting situations for readers. Ad-libbing, you'd feel, would be more dynamic and less predictable, and being hard to do, more impressive. Putting it another way, a by-the-book main-character wouldn't be quite so interesting as an ad-libbing capable main character.

Quote:
I can't really say I know much about how acting differs in East vs West, in practice either. For things like ad-libbing, it may be much easier to do that in manga or anime, than with actual actors.

Quote:

If only they were so strict with manga to anime conversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torri_fay_torren@hot View Post
We do have to keep in mind that that was a rehersal. And it was only a small scene the directer said. But I do get what your saying. I haven't read Maya but I had the same thought as well.
Regarding Maya, as a general point to any readers here, she's the main character from Garasu no Kamen (The Mask of Glass), the title of which refers to how actors wear and invisible mask that can easily break. The manga series started nearly 35 years ago - it's rather old... but not actually finished yet (been on hiatus for a long time). Unsurprisingly, it feels rather classically shoujo manga - it's also one of the most well known shoujo manga out there (among the general population).

There's a couple of superficial similarities between Maya and Kyouko, but they're chalk and cheese if you compare their personalities. (Hardly a surprise, Kyouko feels like she's in her own category)

Maya mostly does stage acting, and when doing it live she will "become" the part, like Kyouko does. However, she rarely does that outside of being live on stage - Kyouko can become the part in just about any situation, as we've seen most specially with Natsu. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyouko eventually create a "Kyouko the actress" persona and "become" that persona most of the time - like how Kuon seems to have created "Tsuruga Ren".

Quote:
Still if I was the directer I would totaly go with that scene. They would have to edit her screming for the directer but still. It was scary.
I wonder how merciful Nakamura-sensei will be feeling next chapter
Old 2009-02-07, 19:22   Link #228
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Thanks to Natsu, the Gore level of Skip Beat will exeed even the Berserk's:P...ok another funny comment, but back to seriousness: I think we seen enough bullying...most propably we don't see so much(or even some) bullying scene regarding BoxR shooting...
Old 2009-02-07, 20:16   Link #229
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Thanks to Natsu, the Gore level of Skip Beat will exeed even the Berserk's:P...ok another funny comment, but back to seriousness: I think we seen enough bullying...most propably we don't see so much(or even some) bullying scene regarding BoxR shooting...
Berserk level gore eh...? Hmm, maybe Kyouko if gets to do a part in a splatter movie (kinda popular in Japan last I remember) I'd like to see Kyouko play a female Terminator though.

But yeah, I think (I hope) this is the most extreme we'd see... though Natsu is due to face off against Rumi's character for the climax. I'd imagine we'd get to see that at least.

On a side-note, I don't think we even know what kind of drama BOX"R" is - I wonder how much material needs to be shot until we get to the climax scene? Is it a stand-alone 2 hour drama? A short series?
Old 2009-02-11, 17:50   Link #230
kanaeri

im kind of glad the anime follows the manga pretty closely ^^ but i srsly cannot wait for the next vol!
kanaeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 08:59   Link #231
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Ch 136 raws are out and in the end i found that picture:
Spoiler for size:

It's the small picture from the end of the previous chapter...Kyoko X Ren moments(i mean the picture)
Old 2009-02-19, 09:19   Link #232
Sinta

wow, thats hot.
Old 2009-02-19, 13:09   Link #233
hakisak
Banned

Location: Polishing Weapons...Btw,read "Until Death Do Us Part" ^_^
Natsu is scary. Kyoko is so good sometimes I can't separate her from Natsu. Kyoko-sama! She's so awesome

That is hot
hakisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 13:59   Link #234
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

The picture is deffinietly with Natsu(or a role similar to her)...Kyoko would never do something like that with her "normal" personality not to mention the facial expression...
Old 2009-02-19, 15:38   Link #235
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Ch 136 raws are out and in the end i found that picture:
Spoiler for size:

It's the small picture from the end of the previous chapter...Kyoko X Ren moments(i mean the picture)
Wow. I'd love to see a reaction from Sho on that.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 15:49   Link #236
hakisak
Banned

Location: Polishing Weapons...Btw,read "Until Death Do Us Part" ^_^
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Wow. I'd love to see a reaction from Sho on that.
He'd probably sh-t his pants ...

hakisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 19:57   Link #237
yongshun

New chapter is out and I guess this is the obligatory make up chapter.
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 17:56   Link #238
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Chapter was cool, but somewhat of a downer since 135 was so epic
Old 2009-02-25, 17:58   Link #239
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

eh , after 135 really I'm glad it was an obligatory make up chapter.
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 18:03   Link #240
Torri_fay_torren@hot
Former # 47

The have to close up loose ends after all.

Tags
comedy, shoujo