Old 2010-12-20, 13:48   Link #1442
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

A bit of a mixed bag for me. I'll give it a 6/10
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 16:43   Link #1443
Seihai
スマイリウム

8/10 for me. If you assume it to receive a proper continuance, this as a standalone piece still has many great aspects I liked. The action was awesome (but could have been longer), Jun did a great job as usual, the story is super interesting and music and animation didn't disappoint being a 24 ep anime. What does it lack? Yeah, a continuance.
Old 2010-12-20, 18:11   Link #1444
Dahak86
Classics never age

Great series! Liked this a lot! and that ending... was such a tease.
it just left me wanting MOAR, and I definetely want more!
it's perfectly understandable that this only marks the beginning of the 'true' story, and here I'm praying for a 2nd season.
Old 2010-12-21, 05:04   Link #1445
Inne

Ok i can't really give this show a rating because I have a lot of mixed feelings here and some questions that can hopefully help clarify some things for me

1.) What just happened over the last 3-4 eps in that there seems to be some sort of complete 180 in the stroyline
2.) Why exactly did Sion want to kill Ryner? Also is he that one legendary hero guy or is he the Weaver of Formulas which is the half of All Formulas?
3.) What exactly happened in Ryner when his dad seemingly showed up and killed him and he was transported to that inner world of his? Also what was his mom doing inside him (naruto moment anyone)
4.) Although I should have probably put this in with my 2nd question just what the hell was going on with Sion is really my biggest question

Argh so much confusion can really only hope for a 2nd season to try and smooth things out and then give the series as a whole a rating if not for now I will have to go with a 5.5/10
Inne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 06:00   Link #1446
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It's not really that confusing. It was not answered in clear detail, but the hints were clearly all there.

Sion's psyche and mind were clearly being slowly eroded away by the 'Mad Hero' residing inside him for the last few episodes, and because the Mad Hero intends to sacrifice Ryner who has the Solver of All Formulas inside him, Sion decides that before he completely loses it, killing Ryner is the best course of option as a mercy kill. ( Apparently being sacrificed is a fate worse than death. )

Sion has the Mad Hero inside of him. It was 'gifted' to him by Lucille back at ep3, when Ryner refused to escape prison and Sion made his first visit to the Eris Household. You know, the trial thing that Lucille mentioned but was not shown to us viewers.

Lucille has the Weaver of All Equations ( or is the Weaver himself ) inside of him. How he got it, we don't know, but it's also highly implied that was the reason he managed to beat his father.

As for why Ryner has the Solver inside of him, we don't know. That part definitely wasn't mentioned in the anime at least. But it's something that is known to Ryner's Dad and Lucille. Ryner's Dad presumably put the soul of his mother inside Ryner as some form of safeguard against Alpha and against the Mad Hero/Lucille so that... she could pop out to reason with Lucille? Either way, Mommy Ryner was clearly something that was implanted inside Ryner as a safeguard.

Sion's really all there is to him. He is torn by his true self and the Mad Hero inside of him. But I think another reason for the conflict within Sion is that Sion is someone who pursues what is right or better for the greater good and what the Mad Hero offers is something that leads to that goal. So he does not entirely denounce the Mad Hero ( he allows Mad Hero to take over his mind after all ) but emotionally, he does not condone it because it betrays Sion's humanity in the form of the friendship and kindness in him.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 10:09   Link #1447
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
here's how he got it:
Thanks, but I'm speaking from the perspective of an anime watcher.

I don't know what the hell is Artofal, what exactly is the difference between Solver/Weaver ( other than being halves of Lonely Demon ), what are the Goddesses, why was the Densetsu World such a fucked up looking world ( during Mad Hero and Lonely Demon's time ) and why did the Goddess of all places, seal the Hero in the place where another monster was roaming. The intricate details behind the lores are definitely not mentioned, even if only subtly hinted from small details every bits and pieces.

But there weren't important to the engaging conflict at hand. Knowing what Alpha is ( in detail ) isn't remotely as important as showing the mental conflict of Sion that builds up the crux of the 'distance and final separation' of Ryner and Sion, which is what the whole series was building upon. ( other than the culminating Great War. )

There's a lot of questions the anime did not answer, but the key pieces of the conflict were definitely 'shown' with enough detail for the viewers to be able to read between the lines on what exactly happened.

If there's one thing I don't quite get, it is why the Mad Hero ( I assume he was in control then ) suddenly decided he wanted to eat Ryner there and then ( when Ryner was stabbed with the dark black sword things ) despite Mama Ryner and Lucille both in agreement that Ryner's not yet ripe enough to be eaten for the nutritious value of the Solver.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 12:33   Link #1448
libba
nepenthes rajah

I realize it’s ancient stuff by now but I can’t help but wonder if anyone feels the same way about the matter—why is everyone in the series going so easy on Kiefer?
“You betrayed your friends and your country, I almost died because of you,even though you swore you loved me, and my friends did die a horrible death because of you, actually a crapload of people died because of you… so you did it because you were worried about your sister? Okay then. No problemo. You are a human who doesn’t even need to have a guilt trip, go on having fun with your life. We’ll even care about your well-being later on.”
I realize the whole message of the series is extremely humanitarian, what with the "war is bad, fighting is bad, violence is bad, even having power is actually bad, too", but still...
libba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 15:01   Link #1449
Tiberium Wolf

I just noticed that at the end Ferris had a new outfit. But they didn't show it. What a let down.
Old 2010-12-22, 04:57   Link #1450
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by libba View Post
I realize it’s ancient stuff by now but I can’t help but wonder if anyone feels the same way about the matter—why is everyone in the series going so easy on Kiefer?
“You betrayed your friends and your country, I almost died because of you,even though you swore you loved me, and my friends did die a horrible death because of you, actually a crapload of people died because of you… so you did it because you were worried about your sister? Okay then. No problemo. You are a human who doesn’t even need to have a guilt trip, go on having fun with your life. We’ll even care about your well-being later on.”
I realize the whole message of the series is extremely humanitarian, what with the "war is bad, fighting is bad, violence is bad, even having power is actually bad, too", but still...
1) Everyone in Roland was/is a bastard. More like 99.99 percent. Country constantly at war. Slavery is/was somewhat legal. Child welfare... what's that? Human experimentation is totally legal... magical abominations are totally harmless. Before Shion it was even more messed up.

2) Kiefer is a conscript from Estabul. Her land was conquered by Roland. She was only punished for failing to kill Shion. He got left holding the bag. The Roland government used her to execute a hit on Shion. She was chosen because she was foreigner and was not supposed to care about seeing Roland soldiers getting killed in an assassination. She just wanted her sister. But she got attached and screwed up. She was eventually banished.

3) Shion and Ryner are soldiers and know what it's like. They've killed tons of people. They forgive her because she had no choice.

4) Everyone Kiefer knows is a warrior, soldier, or assassin. So yeah, spilling blood is common. Betrayal is even more common.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 19:56   Link #1451
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

Just a minor question does anybody know who voiced the story of the Lonely demon and the mad hero at the beginning of episode 24. I though it sounded like Milk's VA, but I'm not entirely sure it was her.
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 11:45   Link #1452
klare

ths to the explanations/observations by some of the posts here, i am able to understand the story more

if just depend on what i have watched (i have finished all eps), i could not get what is going on or why the story turn out like this

but i do notice all 24 eps is like a build up to something big, the all out war?
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 13:10   Link #1453
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
but i do notice all 24 eps is like a build up to something big, the all out war?
Because you're right, the original novel author started out writing one series and then realized that the back story was so big that it could make it's own series. So all the events here are leading up to the second series, DaiDenYuuDen and you can check out the thread for that in the light novel/manga forum for more info on it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 17:15   Link #1454
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow the series just went into a crazy level near the end. You have a small group of special eye guys wandering around, Gastark is on the war path and the same can be said for Roland. Had no idea that Sion going to see Lucille would lead to something like that. I thought it was just a quiz, but it was something much worse. So many questions left out there.

Was a bit surprised that Ferris sniped the rescue on Ryner. Kiefer was jsut a little late, but she made sure they could get away. Hopefully she manages to take care of herself since the world is a pretty messed up place at the moment.
Old 2010-12-24, 04:18   Link #1455
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

wow all this talk about how great the novels are made me check out baka tsuki and wtf!! theres hardly any there about 1 chapter translated in each vol where the heck are you guys getting all this..........no wait dont answer since i think thats against the rules
Old 2010-12-24, 10:05   Link #1456
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
wow all this talk about how great the novels are made me check out baka tsuki and wtf!! theres hardly any there about 1 chapter translated in each vol where the heck are you guys getting all this..........no wait dont answer since i think thats against the rules
check carefully again. and fyi, we are not translating the prequel (well except for a few parts here and there for comparison). I'm focusing on the sequel and Defade on the short stories for background info. did you read this?:

Dai Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu (大伝説の勇者の伝説) is the sequel to Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu (伝説の勇者の伝説) and picks up from where it left off in volume 11 of Densetsu no Yūsha no Densetsu
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 11:39   Link #1457
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
The thing going for this anime is that it's simulcast by Funimation. It was released in Japan w/ North American licensing already sold to Funimation.

In the North America it's getting the DVD release w/ dub. It will get play time on Hulu and Youtube, most likely. It all adds up. The series may end up cable and satellite TV channels.

I hope there is another 20+ episode second season, too.
FUNimation only has the sub-only simulcast rights for the show, they have not licensed it for dubbing yet.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 12:03   Link #1458
Defade
寂しがりのひねくれ者

Lare, here's your large version of 23's end card, lol

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?z=961484970...AB%CB%B5&pn=30
Defade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 16:06   Link #1459
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

About Keifer, you have to realize it's anime. It's pretty much a given that you can kill the protagonist's best friend, but he/she will forgive you and become your best friend as he/she redeems you in some way. I'm sure tvtropes has an actual name for it.

It's hard for me to really judge anime that are based on light novels/manga, since it's not like the director's fault for any faults I may find (it's the original author's after all).

But, I will say that I never found myself liking Sion at all. And, in a story that revolves so much around this bond of friendship between Ryner and Sion, that's a bad thing.

Ryner and Ferris were what made the story fun and enjoyable, and pretty much everything else was, "Can we hurry this up and get back to Ryner and Ferris". And, if you think the prose is a little too in love with itself and repetitive, don't even try to read the light novels, where it's about 20x worse.

In the end, I do hope there's another season or two, if only to have something to watch that isn't a school harem panty flashing snore fest that describes about 97% of what seems to have aired for the last 5 years.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 18:06   Link #1460
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defade View Post
Lare, here's your large version of 23's end card, lol

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?z=961484970...AB%CB%B5&pn=30

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
About Keifer, you have to realize it's anime. It's pretty much a given that you can kill the protagonist's best friend, but he/she will forgive you and become your best friend as he/she redeems you in some way. I'm sure tvtropes has an actual name for it.

It's hard for me to really judge anime that are based on light novels/manga, since it's not like the director's fault for any faults I may find (it's the original author's after all).

But, I will say that I never found myself liking Sion at all. And, in a story that revolves so much around this bond of friendship between Ryner and Sion, that's a bad thing.

Ryner and Ferris were what made the story fun and enjoyable, and pretty much everything else was, "Can we hurry this up and get back to Ryner and Ferris". And, if you think the prose is a little too in love with itself and repetitive, don't even try to read the light novels, where it's about 20x worse.

In the end, I do hope there's another season or two, if only to have something to watch that isn't a school harem panty flashing snore fest that describes about 97% of what seems to have aired for the last 5 years.
creb, you are speaking your views. however I kind of agree with you about the "Can we hurry this up and get back to Ryner and Ferris", though I'm pretty sure that's not how everyone thinks. I think the BL fangirls enjoy the stuff you think bad.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen