AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Days

Notices

View Poll Results: School Days - Episode 12 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 231 49.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 12.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 8.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 30 6.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 1.08%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.38%
3 out of 10 : Bad 11 2.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.08%
1 out of 10 : Painful 62 13.39%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-04, 16:56   Link #701
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
- or just go yuri with each other :3)
*Ohh Ohh Ohh right here pick me,Raises hand in favour of Sekai and Katsura GOODNESS* I vote Yuri luv ending i want a cosmic reset button installed on my PC right now.
Old 2007-10-04, 17:29   Link #702
Akakori
Ummm, meh

I had to register just to say this (btw, hello!).

I accept that some people didn't like how it ended. But I, for one, liked it. I thought it was very original and fascinating to see how the characters descended into the extremes leading them to do the things they did. The bloodshed may have been a bit more graphical than necessary but I believe the actions themselves were justified through the build-up of the story.

This isn't what I felt the need to register for though. This is a response to those people who hated the series because Makoto was such a hateful character. To these people: Don't you see, the fact they have portrayed him so selfish and pitiful that you can't stand him means that they have succeeded! You are supposed to despise Makoto. He's ignorant, he's a pervert, he sleeps around; he's a horrid character. But that is what he is and that is why the events unfolded as they did. You cannot dismiss the series on a flaw in a character which is the central point of the story! Rather, you should be commenting on how well the makers of School Days have succeeded in making you hate the character and accept his cruel fate.

P.S. I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologise if this argument has been raise before.

Last edited by Akakori; 2007-10-04 at 17:53.
Old 2007-10-04, 21:12   Link #703
CJL13
God of his own ego

I wonder if the cell phone company called and they want Makoto to pay his minutes?
Old 2007-10-04, 21:45   Link #704
Nyao
>Enter title here<
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Nyao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakori View Post

I accept that some people didn't like how it ended. But I, for one, liked it. I thought it was very original and fascinating to see how the characters descended into the extremes leading them to do the things they did. The bloodshed may have been a bit more graphical than necessary but I believe the actions themselves were justified through the build-up of the story.

This isn't what I felt the need to register for though. This is a response to those people who hated the series because Makoto was such a hateful character. To these people: Don't you see, the fact they have portrayed him so selfish and pitiful that you can't stand him means that they have succeeded! You are supposed to despise Makoto. He's ignorant, he's a pervert, he sleeps around; he's a horrid character. But that is what he is and that is why the events unfolded as they did. You cannot dismiss the series on a flaw in a character which is the central point of the story! Rather, you should be commenting on how well the makers of School Days have succeeded in making you hate the character and accept his cruel fate.

P.S. I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologise if this argument has been raise before.
I totally agree
Old 2007-10-07, 00:48   Link #705
Omfgbbqwtf

It has been a billion years since I have felt so satisfied with an anime's ending. Itou deserves it. Revenge has never been so sweet. I watch 5 straight episodes in one day, perheps that is why I have such a strong feeling towards the ending. Sekai deserves it too, da%n her for what she did. I think I am getting a little psychotic after this show~~ 10/10!
Old 2007-10-07, 05:10   Link #706
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakori View Post

This is pretty much my whole argument for people who hate KgNE, and you're right. But unfortunately, it's the ending that I hate, not the series. It was always a 8-9/10 in my book before the ending, because I love the drama that it involves (if you can get past the sex adventures, etc...). However, the problem is I was trying to justify Makoto's actions for most of the anime, so it makes me sad that he gets stabbed, cut, and unceremoniously hugged. That's not really the main reason why I don't like the ending, but really the events that followed it. I'm a reasonable person, and I do appreciate the message. The anime builds up so we hate Makoto, pretty much forces the viewer to choose loyalty between either Kotonoha or Sekai, which most people like Kotonoha because Sekai is flagged as "betraying" Kotonoha, so it makes sense that the ending should give people who hate Makoto and supports Kotonoha a "satisfying" ending, and I can see that clearly. However, I'm not the type of person that appreciates an anime for this basic and linear cause and resolution effect. To put it simply, I just didn't connect with the anime. I just can't "hate" the main character and want the resolution to be that he gets killed. I'm the type of person who supports the male lead no matter what and optimistically tries to see how he could overcome his faults and think of a good ending. This is pretty much the reason why I loved episode 11 (too late though, the damage was done) and hoped for a not overly dramatic ending but some type of reconcilliation. Trust me, it's possible. I've watched final episodes saying how something couldn't happen but then the director amazes me in some way and make it happen. See: Canvas 2.
Old 2007-10-07, 19:29   Link #707
Tabris

I haven't watched since episode 4, so I'm still way way behind, but I just read a synopsis of episode 12 and all I can say is:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-08, 15:25   Link #708
finalventje
Your ecchi, give it to me

Let me say this, this show really made me go Mwuhahahahahahahaha towards the end

To bad for Makoto, should have just kept his wits about him, now he got his ass pwned.
Old 2007-10-09, 15:02   Link #709
Akabane_Kun
The no ending cycle...

Thats what hapeens when you see to mutch higurashi
Old 2007-10-09, 15:32   Link #710
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Nice to see some positive responses for the end for a change :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
I haven't watched since episode 4, so I'm still way way behind, but I just read a synopsis of episode 12 and all I can say is:

Spoiler:
yea great isnt it - and there probably wont be another series like this for the next few decades
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalventje View Post
Let me say this, this show really made me go Mwuhahahahahahahaha towards the end

To bad for Makoto, should have just kept his wits about him, now he got his ass pwned.
Nope...he lived like an idiot and died like a fish

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-10-09, 23:18   Link #711
kininku buster
I wanna be Itou Makoto

The show came into a greusome ending and I bloody loved it . Some people felt that the ending was unescessary and unresolved but I think that's how real life is anyway. There are many things and situations in our life that will be remained unanswered to us. Some people feel that the story was over the top but I found it to be pretty probable. It was an awesome show and I was glad to have watched it.
Old 2007-10-10, 01:19   Link #712
User68604
Disabled By Request

How can you people be cheering for this ending..?

I watched this entire series today, and yes there is great feelings of animosity towards Itou. But how can anyone justify KILLING someone else?

Yes, he fucked up big time, but does that warrant death? You are sick and a twisted individual if you think so.

"Hurray for Koto! she gets her revenge!"

What the fuck is wrong with you? She got cheated on BIG time, YES that is very clear. Her heart was broken, YES that is also clear. But she was also had SERIOUS mental problems. How can you cheer for someone who just murdered someone else? There is no justification for something like that.

To people who say "oh itou got what he deserved. he got his ASS PWNED."

Grow the fuck up.

This is not a "realistic" ending by any means. If you believe so, you need to go outside and figure out how society works. People cheat and manipulate, but that is life. Please rethink your morals and values if you thought this was the "right way to end this anime." It may be "just" an anime, but this shit happens in real life. Will you be cheering if you were involved somehow?
Old 2007-10-10, 05:18   Link #713
arkhangelsk

That's the point of anime. It is kind of like how you can like war anime, but of course you don't really want that war happening in your life. The standards are a wee-bit different.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:34   Link #714
Echoes

Not every ending has to be a lesson on moral and ethics. Why does the characters' actions have to be justified? It is possible to say that they were just wrong in what they were doing, morally. I'm certain the majority of the School Days viewers don't agree that murder is the solution to high-school love affairs.

Also, I don't really think saying stuff like "What the fuck is wrong with you?" helps anything, try to be a little polite, and people will return the favor.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:38   Link #715
kininku buster
I wanna be Itou Makoto

Hey I wasn't cheering for his death. The most I was looking for was a through ass beatin' for Makoto but hey the writer's choose this path so it couldn't be helped.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:48   Link #716
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by kininku buster View Post
The show came into a greusome ending and I bloody loved it . Some people felt that the ending was unescessary and unresolved but I think that's how real life is anyway. There are many things and situations in our life that will be remained unanswered to us. Some people feel that the story was over the top but I found it to be pretty probable. It was an awesome show and I was glad to have watched it.
I'm not going to flame like recover did but I agree with some of his/her points. The ending does not justify how good the anime is just because "Makoto deserved it," and I think it should be something more realistic. That's not how real life is, and there is a big difference between School Days and Higurashi. Higurashi's setting is not in a realistic world and from the beginning to end we view it as a fantasy. In School Days, it starts off realistic (even though you could argue if Japanese high school students are promiscuous like that) then end with what I call an "unfitting" ending. No matter how much it fits with the plot, the inconsistency of mood and flow did not help with my impressions with the ending.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:55   Link #717
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Not every ending has to be a lesson on moral and ethics. Why does the characters' actions have to be justified? It is possible to say that they were just wrong in what they were doing, morally. I'm certain the majority of the School Days viewers don't agree that murder is the solution to high-school love affairs.
Further, I'm sure if anyone extracts a mortal lesson from this, it probably will be not to f*ck around like ol' Makoto, or you might really get shanked by your victim.

Or maybe even shanking people for revenge isn't all that great an idea after all - look how both characters became even more f*cked up after the experience.

As for realism, one hopes people will be more rational, but the truth is, Reason and indoctrinated Morality are too often no match for the power of primal Love and Hate. I consider the ending low probability but actually plausible.
Old 2007-10-10, 12:35   Link #718
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
I watched this entire series today, and yes there is great feelings of animosity towards Itou. But how can anyone justify KILLING someone else?

Yes, he fucked up big time, but does that warrant death? You are sick and a twisted individual if you think so.
Yes, he deserved it.
And YES, I'm a sick and twisted indivisual.

You got a problem?

Oh, btw, in case you haven't noticed... Itou Makoto is a two dimentional fictional character drawn on cells.
I didn't like the ending, but it's not because Makoto died. It's because I felt they went for the glorious shock value, rather than strong content.
Old 2007-10-10, 15:41   Link #719
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:

What the fuck is wrong with you? She got cheated on BIG time, YES that is very clear. Her heart was broken, YES that is also clear. But she was also had SERIOUS mental problems. How can you cheer for someone who just murdered someone else? There is no justification for something like that.
And how do you suppose those mental problems came about? *shrugs* makoto's death is in direct relations to his actions - but you will also know this as "karma"

do you really think you can reason with psychos? if you can this world would be a much better place. The point is that the mentally unstable/crushed do not have logical sense for their actions hence why the are "crazy" - duh...

and seeing all the crap that they have gone through i would have preferred for makoto to have just left town as another option - death was just another way around this :3 sekai murdered a person who deserved it...
Quote:
This is not a "realistic" ending by any means. If you believe so, you need to go outside and figure out how society works. People cheat and manipulate, but that is life. Please rethink your morals and values if you thought this was the "right way to end this anime." It may be "just" an anime, but this shit happens in real life. Will you be cheering if you were involved somehow?
Society isnt always this clean cut. or do you think that wrong do-ers should go off unpunished? Sure - let me go out and rape a couple of people and then apologize, that will make everything fine (gross exaggeration point btw). There will always be two sides of the story and the degrees of severity will vary for case to case.

I admit what makoto did didnt warrant absolute death but likewise i didnt feel a dam thing for him when he died. we have seen the two sides to this story and the end class him as a jerk. He should be locked up but i guess sekai couldnt wait to take her revenge

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-10-10, 16:10   Link #720
Zlostur

Quote:
How can you people be cheering for this ending..?

To people who say "oh itou got what he deserved. he got his ASS PWNED."

Grow the fuck up.

In real life, I would agree with you 100%. Cheating does not warrant death, even though in real life I have never met or heard of someone as brain-dead as Makoto, so I'm not sure if someone like him were to emerge how he should be handled. Perhaps if any of the girls he messed around with had a father/elder brother/male friend who cared about those girls' feelings he would deal with Makoto like a man. Unfortunately in the context of the anime there are no strong male characters, so the situation is very artificial.

This is anime...it's not real life. The rules there are different, so within the confines of this situation(i.e. no parents/older brothers/strong male characters) and having in mind that Sekai was clearly mentally unstable(even before she started going out with Makoto) then the resolution i.e. murdering Makoto was the best course of action for her.

As for us cheering for his death - yeah, he's a fictional character. I would not wish for someone like that to die in real life, but at the same time, if I learned that he died, then I would feel even a tiny bit of sympathy. Let's just say there are some people the world is better off without, and while I would not kill them myself, I would not feel sorry for them if they died.
Closed Thread