AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-12-19, 12:40   Link #1961
The One Above God
Kamijou

Yuri ending, huh? Unexpected, but oh well.

Just as Tenzin said, it's been a bumpy ride. Overall the series has a positive rating for me. Although there are some aspects that didn't fit in very well for me, the series as a whole is a good one. I like how the development of the world itself is evident throughout the series. If there's ever gonna be a third Avatar series focusing on an Earth Avatar, I can only wonder how much the world has developed compared to the last one. Of course, that will still depend on the time the setting of the next one will take place.

The series is great, some things were satisfying, some were down right disappointing, and although it barely catches up to the first Avatar series in terms of enjoyment(for me), I think it's fine as it is.

Still, I didn't expect the yuri ending...hopefully that doesn't affect whether a third series is created or not

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 13:21   Link #1962
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

One thing that I found funny was how in a world full of superpowered beings and spirits, the final battle's crucial momment came down to how much time said superpowered beings could buy the engineers to work with

Also, holy shit, that ending was totally out of the blue, the problem it's not the pairing itself (that I find great), but that it only started to show little hints of it until this few final episodes, while it even had a love triangle including the two of them fighting out for a guy (wich I guess takes a whole new meaning now ); on other fronts, the series pretty much establishes itself as a whole other verse than the Aang one, a more spiritual one, probably with Korra as a full spiritual leader once she gets to be of a certain age, wich shows how much development her character had, since she initially couldn't airbend due to her disconection to the spiritual side of bending, that's a really profound change...
Well, long story short, it was a great ride, and I enjoyed as much as ATLA, so it's a little sad to reach the end of it, knowing that there's not going to be no more Avatar , but what you do? Just shed some tears a move on wiith the giant bumpy ride that life is :')
Old 2014-12-19, 13:27   Link #1963
james0246

I'll say more on the episode later (it was pretty good, but I guess I had unrealistic expectations - which is totally my fault ), but this quote bugged me a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
The Korra and Asami thing..... Honestly, they're just friends. Plain and simple. Asami was Korra's first female friend, which was a good characteristic to their friendship. But saying anything more than that just seems more of a delusion to me. Their heterosexuality was confirmed in season one, but their homo/bi was never confirmed. So in the end, friends.

But really, it did sour the ending a bit. It seemed pandering if anything. Just unauthentic and not genuine. Stupid move if you ask me.
You've forgotten that this is a Nickelodeon show, and in the end it will air on a Nickelodeon channel. There is no way a semi-conservative (as all major broadcasting companies are) children's broadcasting company would so overtly state that a main character is bisexual let alone homosexual. We still live in a society where any direct homosexuality in kids animation is often either eliminated or is so watered down to the point that all we get are glances, hand holding and physical closeness (You need look no further than the recent debacle with Clarence to see how nervous studios become when overt homosexuality is introduced in a children's program).

(What does it say about our society that Varrick and Zhu Li are given the chance to have several long drawn out semi-romantic scenes, ending in an actual marriage, but the best Asami and Korra get is some hand holding and to stare lovingly into each others eyes?)

Additionally, these are the final moments of the entire series. Do you really think the implications of these final moments are supposed to be as simplistic as "just friends"? Whether we choose to see this moment as strictly romantic, it seems safe to assume that the writers, directors and creators are focusing on this relationship at this time as an indicator that at this moment Korra finds her happiness with Asami. Truthfully, I see their new journey together as being less a start to a new romantic relationship, but rather a new journey to explore their relationship with the possibility of romance in the future. Whatever the case, I find it hard to believe this moment is supposed to simply be "just friends'.

As to pandering...well should that really matter? Beyond fan appeal, many of these first moments in television (the first interracial kiss, the first abortion, Ellen's coming out, etc) are often meant to shock. But, these first moments are not just important for the characters (which I felt Korra and Asami were decently established) or the lifespan of a show, but because it shows a new reality to the viewers. There will be young boys and girls watching this, already asking questions about themselves and the world around them, that will see themselves in this moment, and they will see acceptance. Could Korra and Asami have been better handled, and a relationship directly stated? Yes (and I assume there will be messages from the creators stating as such well after the episode ends). What we have is not perfect, and it is pandering. But it is still important, because positive representation is important (similarly, Korra's skin colour and even her gender/sex are also powerful and wonderful positive representations). (Note, I do not think you are stating otherwise, I just feel you are being a little to under-appreciative of these pandering moments.)

That being said, I am a fan of Korrasami, so maybe I have read a little too much into their very positive connections in the past, so I find their growing relationship to be perfectly reasonable and completely valid within the context of the established story and character, e.g. I found it genuine . I do think a kiss would have been unearned, but I would have still loved it if only for its shock value.

Last edited by james0246; 2014-12-19 at 13:51.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 13:44   Link #1964
Farodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS00N View Post
Unless Korra/Asami is the biggest ship since book one, I think you are wrong because their relationship (or at least how the relationship would go) had been hinted since book 2...
Then they didn't do a very good job at hinting that,atleast to me.I always saw Asami as Korras first female friend which of course leads to them having a close bond,but i don't remember any scene that hints specifically at an romance or sexual tension between these two except for some fans reading too much into it.Now don't get me wrong.I'm all in for a lesbian relationship between two characters mostly because i think those kind of relationships are underpresented in animated shows or tv in general,but if you want to show it you have to do it right.And starting with a relationship quadrangle (which is a sure way to start shipping wars) in the first few episodes doesn't do it for me.This is probably my biggest gripe with this show.Now I have nothing against shipping in general as long as it is just for fun,but when shipping wars and discussions about who should be with who start to overshadow the themes that made the avatar series such a great franchise (freedom,responsibility,revenge...) then something must have gone the wrong way.Maybe I'm too pessimistic about it or i don't have a broader view on this but most of LoK stuff posted on the internet are ship-fanpages,pictures of Korrasami,Zutara or blogposts about that one scene in the LoK finale.Maybe it's just me,if so sorry about the rambling.
Farodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 13:46   Link #1965
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Last episode of the series bum bum bum...

The writers finally decided to make Mako and Asami do some thing useful after the entire season of doing nothing, good for them. They did one thing right, after two seasons of hating Mako I finally started to like him. That sacrifice he tried to do was nice, old me would have wished for him to actually die.

Wonder what shippers are saying about that ending? It left a weird one, I couldn't tell if Mako was saying he just wanted to be friends or some thing more? It left me thinking the pairing ships crashed and burn since book three, which would be fine by me cuz I thought that love triangle in books one and two was awful. Since book three I liked the friendship they have had more. I'm not a Korra x Asami shipper either so that ending left a bad taste in my mouth, not just cuz of that but I felt the entire Team Avatar should have gone not just Asami, she wasn't even really apart of the team I felt ill book three. I mean the brothers started the team for Pete sake! Bolin offered her a place on the Fire Ferrits team for crying out loud, no brothers = No real team. I don't know what would have happened to Korra had she not joined them? I guess the writers just caved due to Nick's crappy treatment of the staff, they said screw them let's give them an ending Nick would never ever think of wanting in a million years. Kind of screws a lot of the fandom over but yah know pay backs a Bitch and all that.

Minus that, the action was awesome, loved the fights and every one getting moments to shine. Really liked Bolin picking up that Attack from that villain Giy from book three ( What's his name? ) That was boss, liked that he was minister of Varrick's x Zhu Li's wedding, cuz let's face it if it wasn't for him both of them would have either died or been left behind, plus he was trying to solve the relationship issues between them so.

Over all so and so ending but the series over all meh, it was better than any of other Nick show had going for them these past years. Music in my opinion was some of the best feauters of the series, book three and four were some of the best music scores. Animation was all over the place, book two really took a dip than went back to good quality for book three, it was ok at times for book four but that was mostly due to budget cut by Nick, thanks for that guy's seriously.

Final fights were cool, I think Lava bending was one of the best fun new bending ability's made for the series, watching Bolin use it was awesome! My favorite moments of book four was him using it

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 13:57   Link #1966
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

That being said, I am a fan of Korrasami, so maybe I have read a little too much into their very positive connections in the past, so I find their growing relationship to be perfectly reasonable and completely valid within the context of the established story and character, e.g. I found it genuine . I do think a kiss would have been unearned, but I would have still loved it if only for its shock value.
I'm not much of a Korrasami fan (I don't really ship Korra with anyone), but I've noticed subtext and hints before too, and a distinct growth in their relationship, especially in the past two books. And I definitely took that final scene as romantic in nature, no question about it.

Doubly so since that was the final scene of the entire series - potentially, the entire televised franchise. Bryke and co were not going to waste that on 'just friends'.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 14:17   Link #1967
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
(What does it say about our society that Varrick and Zhu Li are given the chance to have several long drawn out semi-romantic scenes, ending in an actual marriage, but the best Asami and Korra get is some hand holding and to stare lovingly into each others eyes?)
While you do have a perfectly valid point, i will say that sometimes, less is more
Spoiler:

Sometimes not being allowed to do more can be an advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farodin View Post
Then they didn't do a very good job at hinting that,atleast to me.I always saw Asami as Korras first female friend which of course leads to them having a close bond,but i don't remember any scene that hints specifically at an romance or sexual tension between these two except for some fans reading too much into it.Now don't get me wrong.I'm all in for a lesbian relationship between two characters mostly because i think those kind of relationships are underpresented in animated shows or tv in general,but if you want to show it you have to do it right.And starting with a relationship quadrangle (which is a sure way to start shipping wars) in the first few episodes doesn't do it for me.This is probably my biggest gripe with this show.Now I have nothing against shipping in general as long as it is just for fun,but when shipping wars and discussions about who should be with who start to overshadow the themes that made the avatar series such a great franchise (freedom,responsibility,revenge...) then something must have gone the wrong way.Maybe I'm too pessimistic about it or i don't have a broader view on this but most of LoK stuff posted on the internet are ship-fanpages,pictures of Korrasami,Zutara or blogposts about that one scene in the LoK finale.Maybe it's just me,if so sorry about the rambling.
Question; why do they NEED a scene that hints at a romantic or sexual attraction?
When it comes down to it, building a good friendship one that allows the characters to have a close bond with each other IS a way to building towards a romantic relationship. Afterall, a close friendship/bond with someone is at the foundation of any good relationship. Once you have that bond, building a relationship is just one small step

When it comes down to it, the signs were there, its just that the signs were interchangeable as they could work as either platonic friendship or romantic interest. When Korra points out that she only wrote to asami and that she was the only one she felt she could talk too, you could read that as a simple close friendship, but its can also be read as a sign that korra sees Asami as something closer than a friend; Mako and Bolin are her friends, but asami is the only person she would trust with her more vulnerable emotions... this does not mean Korra was in love with asami at the time, but the fact that she felt that only asami could be trusted with those feelings can be an important step in that direction. Or when Korra blushes to asami's compliment of her hair, you could say she was only blushing because she felt just a tad embarrassed by the attention, OR you could say she was blushing because it was asami who paid her that compliment... afterall, we've seen plenty of times that some girls will blush when the guy they like compliments them. These moments can be hinting at either friendship or relationship; you just chose to rule out relationship as a possibility and thus could see it as nothing more than friendship.

And then there is the added trouble of the fact that Nick would never allow the creators to be obvious about the reltionship; so they pretty much have no choice but to keep things subtle.

Also, i don't see how this overshadows the theme of the series. If anything, keeping it subtle does the exact opposite; the relationship stays in the background in the shadows where it only exists in the back of our minds while we focus on the war and major conflict of the series. The relationship interfering and distracting us from the major themes of the series was what happened in season 1 and 2 when the relationship drama WAS obvious and clear.

Last edited by Slayerx; 2014-12-19 at 14:33.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 14:28   Link #1968
VTHokiePride

After watching the finale, I thought the battle resembled the Ewoks trying to take down the AT-ST walkers on Endor in Return of the Jedi. The final battles in the series were well done and I thought this was the better book out of the others especially after the Spirit World Arc.

The wedding made me laugh because I doubt Bolin and Pabu have the credentials to ministers of a wedding ceremony, but I believe Varrick and Zhu Li's relationship would blossom after they parted ways earlier during the season. Wished they had a small ending for Bolin X Opal, and where did Kai go? I thought he and Jinora were a pair, but I guess the writers didn't think it was important enough since they didn't have much screen time and they're just kids.

For the ending itself, while I don't mind if it's shipping Korra X Asami, I doubt Nickelodeon would approve of it since it is after all a children television network. It was even said during the series that Asami was Korra's first real female friend she could talk to. They're both just best friends.

Overall, I really wish another network would pick this up since the ending was left open with Korra wondering if there was a need for an Avatar anymore, the expansion of Republic City, and the Earth Kingdom changing into separate states.

Started reading these as well after I watched the finale:

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/legend_o..._happy-2014-12

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/...t-stand-review

Can someone give me points where Korra and Asami's relationship progressed into a pairing? I know Korra regularly wrote to only Asami while she was at the South Pole and Asami offered to return with Korra to the Southern Water Tribe. I interpreted the letters as Korra trusting Asami because they're close friends.
Old 2014-12-19, 14:46   Link #1969
Farodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Also, i don't see how this overshadows the theme of the series. If anything, keeping it subtle does the exact opposite; the relationship stays in the background in the shadows where it only exists in the back of our minds while we focus on the war and major conflict of the series. The relationship interfering and distracting us from the major themes of the series was what happened in season 1 and 2 when the relationship drama WAS obvious and clear.
I'm not talking about the series overshadowing itself but rather a lot of fans (the hardcore shippers,not small in numbers) do it.All they look for in this series are signs for or against their ship to bring them into endless discussions, instead of looking at the shows other themes.Again I have absolutely nothing against shipping,only if it gets in the way of leaving some ground for discussions about the other themes (luckily animesuki is not such a case).
Farodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 15:01   Link #1970
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Spoiler for Behold, future spiritual leader, first Avatar of the new cycle, Avatar Korra::
Old 2014-12-19, 16:15   Link #1971
HandofFate

Dang, they really did do Korra x Asami lol.
Being a Nick show, they can't outright say it. But its pretty obvious imo.

Especially since the last shot it ends is the same as the previous wedding ceremony with Varrick and Ju li
Spoiler for yuri end:

achieved.

Episode itself, lots of great action.
And surprised it managed to have as much closure on so many characters as it did.

I really love Mako's moment with the lightning, and bringing back the old lighting generating stance since I don't think we seen that yet. The other times he just instant zaps.
Old 2014-12-19, 16:46   Link #1972
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Spoiler for Behold, future spiritual leader, first Avatar of the new cycle, Avatar Korra::
Not a bad place to start, but wow the Avatar cycle took a massive hit to the face. I can't imagine how tough future Avatar's are going to have it having to get by with so minimal support. They are going to need a few generations of basically nothing happening .
Old 2014-12-19, 17:07   Link #1973
VTHokiePride

Thought this was pretty interesting:

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...ecap-gay-asami

Never really understood all of the underlying themes to the show besides the heavy Eastern influences and some modern day parallels.
Old 2014-12-19, 17:27   Link #1974
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
Thought this was pretty interesting:

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywo...ecap-gay-asami

Never really understood all of the underlying themes to the show besides the heavy Eastern influences and some modern day parallels.
This is an article filled so many overstatement that it is hilarious XD
Old 2014-12-19, 17:35   Link #1975
Wandering Soul

Wow that Korra x Asami ending. I can already see how all the fans are reacting.

Well it was a bumpy ride with its up and downs but I enjoyed the show and definitely don't regret watching. I like how the world itself developed with the characters. Overall a great and very enjoyable series.
Old 2014-12-19, 18:07   Link #1976
MarkS00N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farodin View Post
Then they didn't do a very good job at hinting that,atleast to me.
Or you just don't want to see the hint as romantic because of your initial prejudice that every hint is simply 'fan try to justify their ship'...

There are a lot of hints as subtle or brief as some of those are (and sometimes not so subtle), but only people who will acknowledge it will acknowledge it while those who wish to reject it will always reject it...

Though I guess you have a point, after all the number one reason people who ship them ship them, is the fact that the show show that they are so close to each other but doesn't do it 'in your face' style like any other romance...
But again, what for people who ship them can be seen as 'subtlety' will be called as 'strawman' or 'justifying' by those who don't want to see it as 'subtlety'...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 18:28   Link #1977
DMurphy

I do wonder how all of these people going 'oh they're just friends' would be acting if the main character was a dude called Korro?

Like, Korro, this brawny dude who just saved the world, shares a private moment with a woman he's known for a long time where she says that she couldn't have dealt with it if he'd died, and they share an embrace before he suggests they go on holiday together, 'just the two of them', and then they hold hands and, while framed in golden light, with romantic music playing, turn towards each other. And this was the very final scene of an entire show. Precisely how would those people interpret that? Or even if it was just Korra and Mako?

I ask this largely because for literally every anime I see talked about on this forum, there's at least three or four people talking about how the main male character could have romantic relationships with every woman in the cast, including blood relations, regardless of whether he's said more than three words to them. I have seen people ship Inaho/Yuki from Aldnoah.Zero.

It's almost as if people change the goalposts if it's a same-sex relationship.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 18:47   Link #1978
Mangonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
I do wonder how all of these people going 'oh they're just friends' would be acting if the main character was a dude called Korro?

Like, Korro, this brawny dude who just saved the world, shares a private moment with a woman he's known for a long time where she says that she couldn't have dealt with it if he'd died, and they share an embrace before he suggests they go on holiday together, 'just the two of them', and then they hold hands and, while framed in golden light, with romantic music playing, turn towards each other. And this was the very final scene of an entire show. Precisely how would those people interpret that? Or even if it was just Korra and Mako?

I ask this largely because for literally every anime I see talked about on this forum, there's at least three or four people talking about how the main male character could have romantic relationships with every woman in the cast, including blood relations, regardless of whether he's said more than three words to them. I have seen people ship Inaho/Yuki from Aldnoah.Zero.

It's almost as if people change the goalposts if it's a same-sex relationship.
I don't think the 'changing of goalposts' is intentional its just you're born liking one sex or the other and that colors how you think.

If you're heterosexual, homosexual relationships just don't even pop into your mind (unless their overt) because you're viewing/reading/w.e the content through the lens of your life experiences.

That said you're right, if the final scenes (Asami talking to Korra till the end) had played out with Asami being male you would have had a classic romance trope.
Mangonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 18:53   Link #1979
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

I know that your question is a sarcastic remark, but I'm gonna answer anyway, first it's the fact that the relationship between them while been portrayed as special, it still wasn't enough to overshadow the love triangle drama that was happening between those two and Mako, sure, there were hints about it, but they were subtle enough that could be missed if you weren't actively looking for them, the hints only started to get over enough in this final season, when in order to miss them, one would have to be deliberately ignoring them; that subtlety, coupled with the fact that we're socially wired to acept heterosexuality as the norm makes it harder to write a believable LGBT couple that it is to write a heterosexual one, where our knowledge of societal norms fill the blanks the writing leaves; also, society is prejudiced to reject anything homosexual as something bad, so they tend to demonize it or outright deny it, so that's why you see people saying they're "just friends", when they clearly aren't, they are a cute couple even

Also, apart from the seriousness of the post:
Spoiler for Bad luck Mako:
Old 2014-12-19, 18:55   Link #1980
sayde

I can't wait to watch this. I didn't even consider this pairing until having just read some of these posts. Granted, I shouldn't have been too surprised, since I really couldn't see Mako ending up with either of them. But still...this outcome...just...yes. First time I've ever been more pleased with a pairing that I hadn't even considered. lol

Now I'm off to see this all actually go down.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra