Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Spoiler for pic 1:

Spoiler for pic 2:

Spoiler for pic 3:
Thanks for the translations.
Spoiler for spoiler:

Last edited by Soji; 2011-09-30 at 05:39.
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 06:23   Link #4223
Lummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 06:52   Link #4224
Last Carpet

Hmm....seems like a pretty big leap.

Getting Zenkichi to leave Medaka's side so he can become a "Main Character", so he can look after himself and not have to worry about anyone else.

I just don't know.

As stubborn as he is, this manga has shown that no one is above evil, not even Medaka. No one would blame Zenkichi for losing his way. But still, I don't think the whole arc would've built up to end on Zenkichi's loss if he was going to refuse the offer.

Ajimu will probably use all those times in the past where Medaka forced Zen into things to assure him that she doesn't care about him or his feelings(which she doesn't to an extent) and only keeps him around for self-assurance and takes him for granted(which is kind of true)

But how is this of any real consequence to Medaka?

I mean, it's never been explicitly stated that Medaka needs Zen to succeed, she probably doesn't. Sure he gave her a reason to live. But what is not having Zenkichi around really going to do? She doesn't actually need his protection, so will it really matter to the story or to her?

I really think that Zenkichi's reasons to stay with Medaka start to weaken and diminsh as the story progresses. I think that sooner or later he's going to figure out he's essentially unnecessary to her. Even his position in the Student Council, Kikaijima is good with numbers and money, Kouki is intelligent and has beautiful handwriting, Misogi is contrary to everything so he can argue the opposite to Medaka's points.

For what reason did Zenkichi join the Student Council?
Not because he has any special skills, not because he wants to help the students, because Medaka wanted him to. He has no real purpose on the Student Council, he never wanted it in the first place. I'm just wondering if he'll ever figure out and do what he wants to do, not what Medaka wants him to do.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 07:17   Link #4225
Soji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Last edited by Soji; 2011-09-30 at 08:10.
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 08:13   Link #4226
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
Hmm....seems like a pretty big leap.

Getting Zenkichi to leave Medaka's side so he can become a "Main Character", so he can look after himself and not have to worry about anyone else.

I just don't know.

As stubborn as he is, this manga has shown that no one is above evil, not even Medaka. No one would blame Zenkichi for losing his way. But still, I don't think the whole arc would've built up to end on Zenkichi's loss if he was going to refuse the offer.

Ajimu will probably use all those times in the past where Medaka forced Zen into things to assure him that she doesn't care about him or his feelings(which she doesn't to an extent) and only keeps him around for self-assurance and takes him for granted(which is kind of true)

But how is this of any real consequence to Medaka?

I mean, it's never been explicitly stated that Medaka needs Zen to succeed, she probably doesn't. Sure he gave her a reason to live. But what is not having Zenkichi around really going to do? She doesn't actually need his protection, so will it really matter to the story or to her?

I really think that Zenkichi's reasons to stay with Medaka start to weaken and diminsh as the story progresses. I think that sooner or later he's going to figure out he's essentially unnecessary to her. Even his position in the Student Council, Kikaijima is good with numbers and money, Kouki is intelligent and has beautiful handwriting, Misogi is contrary to everything so he can argue the opposite to Medaka's points.

For what reason did Zenkichi join the Student Council?
Not because he has any special skills, not because he wants to help the students, because Medaka wanted him to. He has no real purpose on the Student Council, he never wanted it in the first place. I'm just wondering if he'll ever figure out and do what he wants to do, not what Medaka wants him to do.
Yep when you think about it, he did all of that for Medaka. It's time for him to think about himself. That's Ajimmu's plan her and I think it can be good for Zen. And these five people who is here are here for him not for Medaka. Maybe, thanks to that, we will be able to see Zen true potential.
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 14:53   Link #4227
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

An interesting turn of events. Depending on how this is handled, we'll be able to see something interesting here.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 15:07   Link #4228
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Yep when you think about it, he did all of that for Medaka. It's time for him to think about himself. That's Ajimmu's plan her and I think it can be good for Zen. And these five people who is here are here for him not for Medaka. Maybe, thanks to that, we will be able to see Zen true potential.
Why are people acting like Ajimu is suddenly a good guy now just because she may be helping Zen?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 15:09   Link #4229
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Why are people acting like Ajimu is suddenly a good guy now just because she may be helping Zen?
True, no doubt she is using him. However Maguro and Naze are there, so hopefully they'll stop any funny business.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 16:26   Link #4230
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
We know she's evil, (or beyond good and evil as she likes to think), but she's giving Zen a chance to do something else.

Like Lummie said before, He's either been encouraged or discouraged by the people around him for his choice to protect Medaka. But he's never once considered an alternative course of action. For him it's always been "Get stronger to protect Medaka", and everyone has either said "Good for you" or "You're not good enough"

But nobody's ever said, "I wonder what else he could do", until Ajimu. He's never considered anything else he might want to do because Medaka has always come first in his mind.

The whole reason he's as strong as he is is because of Medaka. But since all of that strength is going toward protecting someone who doesn't need his protection, then it kind of looks like the desire to help Medaka is holding him back from experiencing anything else.

Ajimu is offering him a chance to break free from the chains that he's tied himself to Medaka with. And I for one hope he breaks them.
Old 2011-09-30, 16:31   Link #4231
Used Can

I think it'd be interesting if this actually gets pulled off instead of Zen rejecting it outright or sort of considering it throughout the rest of the arc only to decline it at the end.

He really has no role any more. This could be amazingly good for Zen in terms of characterisation and also a terrific way to move the general plot.
Old 2011-09-30, 16:39   Link #4232
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

I want Zen to serioulsy thinking about it and then thanks to that, being able to stand for himself and not only for Medaka. I want him to stand against her and to be the main character he should be.
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 17:30   Link #4233
Shadow5YA

Ajimu's plan: make Zen replace Medaka as the main character so that Medaka will no longer have plot armor to win.

This is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to put Zen against Medaka.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 17:39   Link #4234
Used Can

That much is clear, but it remains a fact no one had ever questioned Zen before about him following Medaka.

There is simply no doubt everything Ajimu is doing is on her own best interests, but that doesn't mean the things she is saying are wrong. It's basically how Soji put it:

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-10-01, 06:15   Link #4235
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
The whole treasure hunt was mainly based around teamwork and cooperation. As well as finding solutions that allowed everyone to win and progress in certain situations even if they all had their own personal motivations. Stuff like that are big with Medaka's character and considering her plan to counteract Ajimu was to essentially pass on her beliefs to her successors its understandable why everything was designed the way it was.

Kikaijima saying it all felt meaningless would be correct if a core member of the student council(Zenkichi) decided none of that mattered and it was only about getting through everything through his own efforts instead of relying on others when necessary. If a core member of the group you are replacing stubbornly refused to accept let alone grasp that lesson it partially undermines the group objective. Never mind actually trying to get the new recruits to fully accept the idea after the lesson is over with.

"Well if the first person to join Medaka's student council didn't go along with it and think it was important enough why should we?" could just as easily be an impression that gets made on them. Even if not all of them thought that way the one Zenkichi is directly responsible for overseeing could just as easily do so.

As for his stubbornness over now having an ability is concerned, he needs to get over it. Circumstances change in life and sometimes the measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Having an ability is never just an auto-win at everything button nor does it mean everything he had done up until then doesn't matter anymore. He is being prideful for immature reasons.
Well said, and I'm agreed with you.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 07:22   Link #4236
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
The whole treasure hunt was mainly based around teamwork and cooperation. As well as finding solutions that allowed everyone to win and progress in certain situations even if they all had their own personal motivations. Stuff like that are big with Medaka's character and considering her plan to counteract Ajimu was to essentially pass on her beliefs to her successors its understandable why everything was designed the way it was.

Kikaijima saying it all felt meaningless would be correct if a core member of the student council(Zenkichi) decided none of that mattered and it was only about getting through everything through his own efforts instead of relying on others when necessary. If a core member of the group you are replacing stubbornly refused to accept let alone grasp that lesson it partially undermines the group objective. Never mind actually trying to get the new recruits to fully accept the idea after the lesson is over with.

"Well if the first person to join Medaka's student council didn't go along with it and think it was important enough why should we?" could just as easily be an impression that gets made on them. Even if not all of them thought that way the one Zenkichi is directly responsible for overseeing could just as easily do so.

As for his stubbornness over now having an ability is concerned, he needs to get over it. Circumstances change in life and sometimes the measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Having an ability is never just an auto-win at everything button nor does it mean everything he had done up until then doesn't matter anymore. He is being prideful for immature reasons.
Hmm...

Teamwork and cooperation, looking back it makes sense. But it seems a bit hypocritical on Medaka's part. When has she ever really taken teamwork over doing everything herself?

Before forcing Zenkichi to join the Student Council, she did all the jobs herself.
Zenkichi came with her, Kouki and Mogana followed them, but Medaka was going to take down the Flask Plan by herself.

Anywho...about Zenkichi. You call it stubbornness and immaturity, I call it character development

Naze theorized that what truly makes an Abnormal is not the Abnormality, but the personality behind the Abnormality. Back when he was completely normal, he was strong, determined and somewhat vitrolic. But now he's stubborn, proud, and possibly even self-hating. Having Parasite Seeing is warping his sense of self, making him believe that all his hard work and effort has become meaningless.

And Ajimu is questioning the choices he's made. Not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but making him think about why he's been doing what he's been doing and offering him a chance to do something else.

Plenty of people, like Kouki, Maguro, and Oudo have berated Zenkichi for his choice to stay by Medaka and tried to discourage him. He's never listened and stayed of his own choice. But if he looked back on his past, really looked, he'd find that he's put himself in danger and is burdening himself for pointless reasons.

Trying to protect and help Medaka when she doesn't need it, and what has it gotten him?

Beaten
Stabbed
Blinded
Bitten by poisonous snakes.

And due to his own desire, he's cut himself off from finding a way to express his full potential elsewhere. Protecting Medaka, putting up the effort to keep up with her. He made himself stronger for the sake of protecting her from people like Misogi, but she beat him on her own later on.

If he stays by her to protect her, then he doesn't have a real reason to stay anymore.

Can you imagine what he could do with that effort if he stopped following her? He's chained himself down from the start. And if Ajimu can find a way to release him from that, who knows how much he can change.

Last edited by Last Carpet; 2011-10-01 at 07:34.
Old 2011-10-01, 07:32   Link #4237
Westlo
Lets be reality

Ajimu should've broken the 4th wall and said you're not even a Top 3 Male character to Zen, that surely would've worked! Pride before the fall and all that.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 14:48   Link #4238
Johnny
Working the bags...

Yeah, yeah I'm sure it's just eating you alive and your Zen hatred is raving out of control huh and it shows since that made no sense at all...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 17:54   Link #4239
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
is not happened often that after I read your post I agree with you but... I must say this time I do.
Perhaps the arc is starting will have this goal/s ,which is make Zen to understand that he has to learn to work with people beacuse nobody can do everything alone.
And the other thing what you've said about parasite Eyes.
Speaking of parasite eyes, I admit it is an idea that is probably wrong ... but I wonder if in fact they were not always being Zen abnormality and Najimi had only take them away when he was little.
And only now she give them back to him for some reason that we dont know yet.
I know I have the minority opinion 9 times out of 10 in this thread but this is one thing I'm adamant about. If they were always his that would be interesting and one hell of a plot twist by Ajimu and is working like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Well said, and I'm agreed with you.
That is because I'm making sense and when looking at the various trials its clear that no one participating would have made it to the top of that tower and passed without the help of someone else that was there. Even Akune who played a major role in getting others to realize the point of the various exercises wouldn't have successfully passed it all by himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
Hmm...

Teamwork and cooperation, looking back it makes sense. But it seems a bit hypocritical on Medaka's part. When has she ever really taken teamwork over doing everything herself?

Before forcing Zenkichi to join the Student Council, she did all the jobs herself.
Zenkichi came with her, Kouki and Mogana followed them, but Medaka was going to take down the Flask Plan by herself.

Anywho...about Zenkichi. You call it stubbornness and immaturity, I call it character development

Naze theorized that what truly makes an Abnormal is not the Abnormality, but the personality behind the Abnormality. Back when he was completely normal, he was strong, determined and somewhat vitrolic. But now he's stubborn, proud, and possibly even self-hating. Having Parasite Seeing is warping his sense of self, making him believe that all his hard work and effort has become meaningless.

And Ajimu is questioning the choices he's made. Not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but making him think about why he's been doing what he's been doing and offering him a chance to do something else.

Plenty of people, like Kouki, Maguro, and Oudo have berated Zenkichi for his choice to stay by Medaka and tried to discourage him. He's never listened and stayed of his own choice. But if he looked back on his past, really looked, he'd find that he's put himself in danger and is burdening himself for pointless reasons.

Trying to protect and help Medaka when she doesn't need it, and what has it gotten him?

Beaten
Stabbed
Blinded
Bitten by poisonous snakes.

And due to his own desire, he's cut himself off from finding a way to express his full potential elsewhere. Protecting Medaka, putting up the effort to keep up with her. He made himself stronger for the sake of protecting her from people like Misogi, but she beat him on her own later on.

If he stays by her to protect her, then he doesn't have a real reason to stay anymore.

Can you imagine what he could do with that effort if he stopped following her? He's chained himself down from the start. And if Ajimu can find a way to release him from that, who knows how much he can change.
Medaka doesn't do everything herself to the extent she used to. She had to rely on her friends to fight the other Minuses except Kumagawa in the last arc for instance. She even went to Hinokage who she thinks is a better student council president than herself for help. She could just have easily decided to fight them all without regard for herself but she trusted in others until she found the resolve needed to face Kumagawa's negativity head on in the end.

She at least brought Zenkichi with her when she went to fight the 13 Party and stop the Flask Plan. That arc in general was a Medaka arc though and was largely about discovering herself and solidifying what she stands for. But notice how the 13 Party example comes BEFORE the Minus 13 one. That is progress and development of her character and to the current arc now where she designed the exercise where the prize wasn't the goal, getting to the top of the tower while cooperating with other people was. The prizes she gave was just to initially help motivate people.

No, it is stubborn and immature on his part. That isn't development when he has largely been like that for the majority of the manga in terms of not wanting to always go along with what other people are doing and needing to be cajoled into accepting them first. Since none of the people participating was Medaka, they weren't able to drag him along with them like she could. What comes next would be development depending on what he does with Ajimu's offer.

I'd argue part of why he was able to get so far as a normal is because he had a singular focus and it made it easier for him to not waste energy with other stuff. Because he had Medaka to do the heavy lifting and he largely has the same beliefs as her despite his demeanor when it comes to certain things. All he had to do up until now was watch her back. But now? He actually has something that is directly affecting him and he doesn't know how to cope with it because he never had to before.

The reasons why I say he needs to get over it because he is acting like he is some special little snowflake now. Guess what, now you know how everyone else in this manga feels for the most part. He is over here boohooing about an ability that he technically doesn't even have to use ever again because it isn't even one that is wrecking his life. For heaven's sake his ability has a freaking off button.

I see stories like:

Medaka-The ability to master what she sees and experiences which causes her alienation because it was nearly automatic
Takachiho-Could never touch people because of his reflexes
Munakata-Always having the urge to kill people when he looks at them
Yukuhashi-Almost driven mad because he couldn't shut his mind reading ability off
Miyakonojou-Having to worry about his electro powers being in gear without him wanting them like in his flashback
Mukae-Everything she touched would rot away and die
Hinokage-No one remembers him because of being so awesome the mind erases his presence

Then compare to Zenkichi crying about an ability that he can basically turn off and never use if he doesn't want to. If that was his permanent sight and he always saw what other people view it would be one thing and I'd totally feel for him but it isn't. Not only that, but it isn't like it is a stupidly haxxed one like Miyakonojou's nor does it really undermine his achievements thus far. He didn't mentally get a massive upgrade like Maguro's would be for most people nor does it make you think everything he did before is in the trash now because he suddenly has "The End" like Medaka to help him complete things.

Also, Zenkichi is doing a disservice to all the other people who while may have gotten ability still needed to learn how to apply it or even improve on it so it didn't outright control them. He is acting like the ability itself nullifies whatever anyone might do. That is bullshit. It is what you do with what you have that is the measure of what you are. Kumagawa for instance would be one of the deadliest characters around but his mentality is what always holds him back from succeeding as stated during the treasure hunt.

And finally, its a joke that he needs that to be his primary reason to stay with Medaka. How about he just stays around her because he likes being around her?! There is a novel idea! Jesus it really isn't that hard but like I said before since he hasn't really had to think about stuff like that until now he doesn't know how to cope with it. He doesn't need the mantra of "protect Medaka" to be what he is making it be. Simply being there for her when she needs him to be(which she has in the past) and enjoying himself like other people do while with her is just as strong a reason. But like I said, he is making it all about him more than necessary.
Old 2011-10-01, 19:34   Link #4240
summers

If the anime is only going to be 26 episodes then its going to suck, if that the entire series. You all know what Im talking about, were they take a manga and just do their own thing, not follow the story, do their own thing and end have the series final. Ex. Ao no exorcist. I wouldnt mind it went the way of FMA and eventually made a remake that followed the story, but that wont happen.
summers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council