AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-01-06, 12:11   Link #1
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Looking for: Series with aerial/space combat WITHOUT MECHA.

Mechas are what's destroying all the space anime for me, I have absolutely no idea why it's such a big hit, not when there's nothing better than dogfighting in a fighter at full speed.

I'm looking for something along the lines of Yukikaze.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Cheers

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 12:28   Link #2
cupumanager

Last Exile - Steampunk. Wingless Vanship dogfights, together with Flying Battleship battles. The Guild's designs are rather Sci-Fi.
Sky Crawler - Late 1940s/1950 designs. All Piston Prop, no Jets
Toaru Hikuushi no Tsuioku - 1940s Floatplane, J7W Shinden, and Flying IJN Ships. There is a sequel, sort of, Toaru Hikuushi no Koiuta, but I'm won't recommend it for the aerial battles.
Cowboy Bebop - Space/Atmospheric Dogfights with Space Fighters. The Movie have a Dogfight too.

Studio Ghibli Movies, lots of it, Hayao Miyazaki really loves aviation, it seems:
Porco Rosso - Interbellum 1920s Floatplanes.
Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind Post-Apocalyptic Dieselpunk plane and glider designs, also a Flying Jar.

Last edited by cupumanager; 2015-01-06 at 13:09.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 10:47   Link #3
cleo

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Tytania
Both space-opera's with lots of battles. LotGH starts slow, but gets much better along the way.
And you can try Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 12:29   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Mouretsu pirates, though on lighter side of combat, the combat is great though when it occurs .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 04:55   Link #5
Ghiest Cid

Area 88
Ghiest Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 11:51   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Crest of the Stars, and the sequel Banner of the Stars.

Banner of the Stars has whole episodes devoted to nothing but giant space battles.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Bodacious Space Pirates is action adventure combined with slice of life and a lot of world building, but because of this the actions scenes are really good.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-09, 18:13   Link #7
sayde

Can't believe someone hasn't mentioned outlaw star.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-10, 01:34   Link #8
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Mechas are what's destroying all the space anime for me, I have absolutely no idea why it's such a big hit, not when there's nothing better than dogfighting in a fighter at full speed.
Are you completely opposed to any mecha? The Variable Fighters in Macross can transform into mecha, but they're still fighters and the franchise has some of the most spectacular air combat scenes you can find in anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Crest of the Stars, and the sequel Banner of the Stars.

Banner of the Stars has whole episodes devoted to nothing but giant space battles.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Bodacious Space Pirates is action adventure combined with slice of life and a lot of world building, but because of this the actions scenes are really good.
Crest/Banner of the Stars and Yamato 2199 are definitely good series, but Crest/Banner especially are more about capital ship combat than dogfights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
Last Exile - Steampunk. Wingless Vanship dogfights, together with Flying Battleship battles. The Guild's designs are rather Sci-Fi.
[...]
Toaru Hikuushi no Tsuioku - 1940s Floatplane, J7W Shinden, and Flying IJN Ships. There is a sequel, sort of, Toaru Hikuushi no Koiuta, but I'm won't recommend it for the aerial battles.
[...]
I'm rather fond of Last Exile, though I consider it far from perfect.

Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku (released in North America as The Princess and the Pilot) is one of my favorite animated films. It's a simple story, but it's well told (though despite the simplicity of the story, I would recommend you pay attention to the little details).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiest Cid View Post
The old Area 88 OVAs/movies are considered a classic. There's also a TV remake from about ten years back that uses CGI for the planes that has some pretty good action.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote