AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-12-03, 22:45   Link #1
Nightmar

Question christmas

how many people is looking forward to christmas?
Nightmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 23:07   Link #2
Metaler

Me? Looking forward to Consumism Day? Nope, not at all. Sorry.
Metaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 00:43   Link #3
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
In another venue, I was involved in a discussion where I stated that I am apathetic toward the Christmas holiday.

A few people expressed similar sentiments. Some decried the crass consumerism society it seems to be an excuse for these days (a point I find truth in), others pointed out that the date and traditions have zero to do with the Christian reasoning for the holiday (another point I find truth in, although I don't find it too bothersome as long as people are aware of those facts). Most responders, though, were not so nice. I was accused of not being a real Christian (which I am) and of playing into schemes to undermine the institution of American values (which I am not).

I just don't care about Christmas. I enjoy being with my family, and I participate in what they do. I even enjoy indulging other people to bring them some Christmas cheer. But for myself? No tree, no carols, no lights, no holly, no tinsel. I don't have anything against Christmas at all. I just don't care. My apathy isn't limited to Christmas, and I say the same for any celebration or holiday. I'm simply a boring person.

But Christmas is, apparently, the American religion. Although I'm generally very quiet about my apathy, my lack of enthusiasm deeply offends many people.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 00:47   Link #4
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
Christmas? Not really looking forward to it partially because my family won't be together to celebrate it and because I enjoy being lazy on a Christmas day

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 01:13   Link #5
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Holiday cheer? Sure, let's go for it. Peace on earth? Fine sentiment indeed. The ones who go bat-crazy with religious fervor and rampant gift buying for the sake of gift buying/sense of obligation (rather than more thoughtful gift-giving, you know)? Nah...
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 01:47   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm more into that general winter holiday that many cultures observe be it yuletide, winter solstice, Christmas, New Years, or whatever... just a time to make sure you see people you have bonds with, eat and play together, and maybe throw out the evil spirits for the new year and pray the sun comes back

Those who live in the high latitudes are keen on that last one. Now pass the wassail.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-12-04 at 02:32. Reason: put up the festive lights on my house today; Kringus tree this weekend.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 01:49   Link #7
Cipher

I just enjoy the bright lights....at least one more day is different from the usual. I hate the usual. everyday should be excessively different from yesterday.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 02:15   Link #8
Tyss
Amateur Manga Artist

Winter Wish with your Girl Friend!!
Old 2009-12-04, 02:21   Link #9
Xion Valkyrie

Look forward to Christmas break though....
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 04:01   Link #10
Narona
Emotionless White Face

I do look forward to it a lot

Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 04:21   Link #11
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Going back to Italy, even if it's just for a few days. The job is killing me and I haven't even had the chance to go back during the summer like I wanted to originally. So all in all, I can't wait, I really, absolutely can't wait to go back! =D
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 04:23   Link #12
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Going back to Italy, even if it's just for a few days. The job is killing me and I haven't even had the chance to go back during the summer like I wanted to originally. So all in all, I can't wait, I really, absolutely can't wait to go back! =D
Being in family in those moments is the best part, isn't it?
Old 2009-12-04, 04:24   Link #13
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Being in family in those moments is the best part, isn't it?
Immah have to wear the Santa Claus outfit again. That's the only part I dread about Xmas, considering my dad isn't able to come
Apart from that, yarly, moments like them can't be spared for another time (at least not for another year D=)
Old 2009-12-04, 04:26   Link #14
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Immah have to wear the Santa Claus outfit again. That's the only part I dread about Xmas, considering my dad isn't able to come
Apart from that, yarly, moments like them can't be spared for another time (at least not for another year D=)
That's excellent, be proud of that I am sure that your family will like it either way ^_^

As for me, I mainly train myself for some christmas singing
Old 2009-12-04, 04:32   Link #15
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
That's excellent, be proud of that I am sure that your family will like it either way ^_^
True, very true. Thing is, I'm actually flying back on Xmas day so I might try working with that tbh. Walking into the house with the outfit for the first time in a year on Xmas would be priceless!

Quote:
As for me, I mainly train myself for some christmas singing
Awesome. I wish I could sing. It would spare me the Santa outfit T_T
Old 2009-12-04, 04:46   Link #16
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
True, very true. Thing is, I'm actually flying back on Xmas day so I might try working with that tbh. Walking into the house with the outfit for the first time in a year on Xmas would be priceless!
That will be priceless. Do it!

The fact that your dad will not be present with all of you is sad, but the smile you'll put on your little siblings will kind of make up a bit for it

Quote:
Awesome. I wish I could sing. It would spare me the Santa outfit T_T
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! The Santa outfit is awesome too in its own way.
Old 2009-12-04, 04:51   Link #17
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
That will be priceless. Do it!
Now that I think about it, I probably will! It would scare the sh*t out of my sis, that's for sure
Old 2009-12-04, 04:59   Link #18
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I probably will! It would scare the sh*t out of my sis, that's for sure
I bet your adorable little sis will remember it either way As good memories, of course
Old 2009-12-04, 05:48   Link #19
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
It'll be my second Christmas in a row spent by alone in Japan, but having gone to church last week (first week of advent) and having the annual bell concert there (the sounds were heavenly and just beautiful) kinda drew me into the spirit of things.

People complain about consumerism, but then the same can be said for all the Christian holidays.
(Halloween, Valentine's Day, Easter and so on)
And hell, if you wanna try to score pessimism points, try living in a country where 1% are Christians and the others mainly use religion as a tool for when things are bad, but 110% passionately engage in the consumerism side.

I'm practically drowning in superficiality over here and it's about this time when the fact that I'm not in a Christian society really hits home to me.
The notion of 'tis the season of goodwill' and having the choral singers about or having TV shows begin to get charity drives for kids and others who are unfortunate don't really exist here, but nonetheless, I still look forward to this second year around, even if I am by myself.

So excuses referring to general states of society as a reason for being negative tend to be a weak excuse if you have the choice to do otherwise. I see no reason in putting myself in debt in January just for the month of December, I find other (cheaper, free) ways to put smiles on people I care about in accordance with the season, so I don't see why others who believe in the religious aspect or not, can't either.

Like most things in life, it's what you make of it at the end of the day.

(Since I am reminded that it's December now and 3 weeks left, I need to swap my avatar for something Christmasy and I need to dig out the untraditional "traditional" Christmas tunes once more)
Bob Rivers, you rock (as well as a few others artists too. Ooh that reminds me, must hunt down South Park's 'O Holy Night')
And this is one is a work safe song, the others would get me slapped with an infraction (or worse) so fast before I could even utter the X in Xrismas.
- If you're not offended by the vulgar and juvenile, profile wall me for me to share some cheeky tunes and spread a lil Christmas spirit

PPPPPPPS!!!!

US Thanksgiving = Turkey Day
UK Christmas = Turkey Day

US Christmas = ????????

I've bugged Americans time and time again, but can't seem to get some kinda of standised or uniformed answer, so do care to enlighten me Americans of Asuki.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-12-04 at 06:00.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 05:57   Link #20
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Hoho, I'm certainly looking forward to it.
On my friend's anime forum, most of us there are using Christmas avatar and sigs already.

It's a little uncomfortable at night due to the cold, but it's ok.
Time to prepare the Christmas shopping list!
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote