AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-10-25, 13:44   Link #2701
scwizard
Starcraft Wizard

Yeah, this is the first I've heard about one supposedly only being able to change locales on select versions of windows.
scwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 13:45   Link #2702
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Some versions of Vista require a third-party utility to do it. I had to set up something like that on my brother's computer.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 13:49   Link #2703
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Some versions of Vista require a third-party utility to do it. I had to set up something like that on my brother's computer.
Hmm, really ? Because the version I have is the most basic of basic and I can just go Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Administrative > Change system locale

Unless you're talking about AppLocale (setting the locale ONLY for Umineko), because I don't remember what exactly the issues were but it took quite a few changes to get it to install correctly.

You *might* need some set of Japanese language tools from Microsoft. I had the official IME installed before I even knew what Umineko was so maybe I dodged a few issues .

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 17:46   Link #2704
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Ahhh OK, the whole chart showing benefits of Windows 7 Ultimate over other editions had me worried that I would only be able to change system locale with that edition. I probably misunderstood what it meant, the_rogue's description seems better.

If Vista basic could do it just by restarting, then I no longer have any reason to worry! Thanks for the speedy replies, I can't wait for the Episode 5 patch! \o/
Freelii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 18:04   Link #2705
De3NJ

Hey, regarding getting Umineko on the psp, i did all of the steps but once i started it up, it would instead stop at the window that says something like "Umineko 4 patch wasn't installed properly". Anyway to fix that? when i was following your steps, at the part with copying the arc.nsa file, with the full version of the game there is 3 separate arc.nsa files and one inside the english patch. Which one do we use?
De3NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 08:21   Link #2706
De3NJ

oh, also when i looked into the result.txt, there were a lot of other japanese fonts for other parts of it, i guess we don't worry about those?
sry for double-posting O.o
De3NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 21:40   Link #2707
Shamisen
Talking Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullchukka View Post
Spoiler for Pictures, selecting the game on psp menu:
Hey, what are those other things you have on your PSP and how could I get them on mine? You even have Daybreak on there. If there's a site for these things, I'd gladly go there. Any help?
Shamisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 23:37   Link #2708
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamisen View Post
You even have Daybreak on there.
Actually, Higurashi Daybreak was made into a PSP game a while back.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 03:59   Link #2709
Impossible

I've been meaning to post for a while, but couldn't be bothered taking two minutes to make an account for some reason. But I wanted to ask a translator here about some music-related things, so I finally got around to it...

I really appreciated the much-needed translation of the music box tracks in the newest patch, but there were a couple that I wanted to check. One is 胡散の香り, which I think is translated as "Fishy Aroma"... Which would make sense if the song had anything to do with Kumasawa, but it actually sounds kind of odd. I've seen it translated as "Fragrance of Suspicion" or something along those lines elsewhere, which seems to make more sense. Was there any particular reason you went with that translation?

The other is 失楽園, which you have as "Lost Paradise". That's fine, but because that's also the Japanese name for the poem "Paradise Lost", I was wondering if that might have been the intended meaning or a reference in some way. Obviously both are valid translations and I'm never going to get an "official" title as much as I want one, but I just wanted to see what you thought anyway. Particularly as I kind of like it as "Paradise Lost".

I was going to ask about "Sukashiyuri", since that doesn't exactly sound translated, but Wikipedia covered that one.

Lastly, thanks for all your effort so far, keep up the good work on Episode 5. Do you think you'll have time to translate the musicbox for that, too? It probably wouldn't be too much trouble, as there are only around 10 or so new ones that need to be translated.
Impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 09:39   Link #2710
ameskitty
Kupo

I'm not a member of the TL project, but I can tell you that Fishy Aroma and Suspicious Smell mean almost exactly the same thing . "Fishy" is a colloquial way to call something suspicious.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 09:50   Link #2711
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think that by using "fishy" you keep the possible double entendre, since even in japanese the same kind of metaphor is used: suspicious=smells bad.

Paradise Lost is an interesting finding 'though.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 11:52   Link #2712
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
I've been meaning to post for a while, but couldn't be bothered taking two minutes to make an account for some reason. But I wanted to ask a translator here about some music-related things, so I finally got around to it...

I really appreciated the much-needed translation of the music box tracks in the newest patch, but there were a couple that I wanted to check. One is 胡散の香り, which I think is translated as "Fishy Aroma"... Which would make sense if the song had anything to do with Kumasawa, but it actually sounds kind of odd. I've seen it translated as "Fragrance of Suspicion" or something along those lines elsewhere, which seems to make more sense. Was there any particular reason you went with that translation?

The other is 失楽園, which you have as "Lost Paradise". That's fine, but because that's also the Japanese name for the poem "Paradise Lost", I was wondering if that might have been the intended meaning or a reference in some way. Obviously both are valid translations and I'm never going to get an "official" title as much as I want one, but I just wanted to see what you thought anyway. Particularly as I kind of like it as "Paradise Lost".

I was going to ask about "Sukashiyuri", since that doesn't exactly sound translated, but Wikipedia covered that one.

Lastly, thanks for all your effort so far, keep up the good work on Episode 5. Do you think you'll have time to translate the musicbox for that, too? It probably wouldn't be too much trouble, as there are only around 10 or so new ones that need to be translated.
Spoiler for size:

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 12:35   Link #2713
Impossible

Thanks for the quick answer. I realised that Fishy Aroma still means the same basic thing, it's just that the wording creates somewhat strange imagery that feels wrong in that context. I didn't know it was a play on words in Japanese, though, so that helps.

I don't think "Paradise Lost" is too specific, though, given that it has been used in a lot of different ways. Obviously it does have that one immediate connotation (given how many of those are inevitably references to the poem), though I wouldn't want to avoid that. It kind of makes sense if you didn't want to be specific without checking first what it was meant to be, though.

It really is sad to hear about the impact of BT's death on the community and on your work as well as on Ryukishi07. I hope he takes as long as he needs to make the episodes as good as possible, because I think people would understand if Ep 6 were delayed, and in the long run, nobody is going to care about anything except the final product that we can look back on for years. It would certainly be understandable if he wanted more time, given all the work he has and all the emotion and stress he'd be feeling. And I'd rather he decide that now than in a year with Episode 8, but the result is the same either way and this gives him time to start on 7 and 8 well before release.
Old 2009-10-30, 03:38   Link #2714
Crimson7

What I'm about to ask is probably somewhere in the 137 pages of this thread, but it would be just to hard to find.
I've been watching the anime of Umineko and, even without knowledge of the game, I feel that there's a lot missing. So, I was looking for the game online so I could buy it and I saw Vol 4 and it says that it vol. 1-3 as well. So here's the question. Do I still need to buy vol 1-3 if I buy vol 4?
Crimson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 03:43   Link #2715
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson7 View Post
What I'm about to ask is probably somewhere in the 137 pages of this thread, but it would be just to hard to find.
I've been watching the anime of Umineko and, even without knowledge of the game, I feel that there's a lot missing. So, I was looking for the game online so I could buy it and I saw Vol 4 and it says that it vol. 1-3 as well. So here's the question. Do I still need to buy vol 1-3 if I buy vol 4?
It's a compilation. It will include the first 4 volumes/episodes.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 14:21   Link #2716
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

So I extracted the script from witch-hunts patch (don't worry I have a legit copy of the game) and was planning on cutting out all the commands and such so that I'd be left with a readable text document. EP1 has roughly 1400 pages raw and, although I do plan to go through it all and have it finished eventually, if anyone, say witch-hunt itself, has a file like that so that I won't be wasting my time could you say pm me a download link or a way to get it from you?
Kishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 02:49   Link #2717
Impossible

Hm... Does anyone else hope a HAPPY HALLOWEEN FOR UMINEKO FANS update might be possible some time soon? You know you want to give us some delicious candy. Or I'll play a trick on you. I haven't worked out what, yet...
Old 2009-10-31, 07:02   Link #2718
UnknownBeast

Hi, I have a suggestion for this page: http://www.witch-hunt.com/stage.html

I think you should move the links and instructions for

"Windows and Mac Demo versions" to the top of the page

and add a "(Contains the FULL GAME of Episode 1)" besides the

"Windows and Mac Demo versions" part.

Some people didn't knew that info and didn't want to try out the Demo because of that. They thought it was just a few chapters.

That's all, happy halloween~
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 11:34   Link #2719
Echoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Hm... Does anyone else hope a HAPPY HALLOWEEN FOR UMINEKO FANS update might be possible some time soon? You know you want to give us some delicious candy. Or I'll play a trick on you. I haven't worked out what, yet...
The good old "surprise prostate massage" is a trick I've been known to have perfected in my younger, more mischievous days. Perhaps I will bring it out again, if my "treat" is anything less than the full chapter 5 patch, finally being complete.
Echoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 14:31   Link #2720
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

....that kinda sounds like it could double for both trick AND treat 0_o ....
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation