AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-31, 01:04   Link #61
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekureiru View Post
A series should never require 'ecchi' in order to achieve anything. It can be used minimally for comedy, but only if used minimally. If they start to overdo it to pander to the otaku who will likely watch this show for 'moe' among other things, it will start to get old relatively fast.
You should read the manga then the ecchi jokes are kept at a minimal you'll get like one or two every other chapter. Chapter 1 had the most though.
Old 2012-04-04, 15:16   Link #62
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Surprised that Crunchyroll got this instead of Funico.

I'm adding it to my Watch After the Season is done list because my Saturdays are busy with series as it is.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 15:18   Link #63
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I read volume 1 of the manga last night ... hrm ... well. I must admit that this does not seem to be my "cup of tea" at first glance - not much of a gun fan either. But who knows? Maybe this will be a "guilty pleasure" series for me?

Not counting my chickens yet, though....
Old 2012-04-04, 19:26   Link #64
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I read volume 1 of the manga last night ... hrm ... well. I must admit that this does not seem to be my "cup of tea" at first glance - not much of a gun fan either. But who knows? Maybe this will be a "guilty pleasure" series for me?

Not counting my chickens yet, though....
Ya, from the PV's at least I get the feeling this could definitely be a "guilty pleasure" series... Or it could be really, really bad.

I kind of wonder how it will do since it starts at the exact same time as Bodacious Space Pirates? That is if the time a show is put up really affects viewership.
Old 2012-04-04, 19:42   Link #65
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I wonder if they'll restrict the adaptation to the main manga, or include the 4komas? Because I read the latter recently, and it expands the cast a whole bit (like the Uzi sisters, the H&K family, and some of the other gun teachers like Ms. Thompson), but there are some design difference's (despite being done by the same guy!)... For example Sig doesn't wear her hair in a bun.
Old 2012-04-04, 20:22   Link #66
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post
Ya, from the PV's at least I get the feeling this could definitely be a "guilty pleasure" series... Or it could be really, really bad.

I kind of wonder how it will do since it starts at the exact same time as Bodacious Space Pirates? That is if the time a show is put up really affects viewership.
No idea tbh. I don't even know how popular the manga is in Japan (or elsewhere for that matter), nor if many "gun otaku" watch anime series....

Anyway - I will at least give the first ep or 2 a try.

Wait ... no hair bun for Sig?!

/rage

Or something like that.
Old 2012-04-04, 20:39   Link #67
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Wait ... no hair bun for Sig?!
Yeah, I found that little detail weird, especially since the 4koma seems to be running in parallel with the main manga storyline. I mean, how can Sig have a bun in the main series, yet have short hair in the other?
Old 2012-04-05, 16:40   Link #68
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Hmm ... well, finished up to ch 15 last evening. Hmm ... Volume 2 takes a different turn from Volume 1 to be sure. A lot more ... well ... military survivalist style combat scenes (with an appropriate villain) ... and less ecchi. Actually made it look a little more interesting potentially. Still not really my cup of tea, but definitely a little more interesting than when I finished Volume 1....
Old 2012-04-07, 07:41   Link #69
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

http://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv84479049
First episode is being webcast soon! People with an active NicoNico account can watch it in the above link in 1 hr 40 minutes.
Old 2012-04-07, 12:02   Link #70
Utsuro no Hako

Um, what?

When I first heard the description of this series, I thought it didn't make any sense, so I decided to watch the first episode to see if that'd change anything.

Nope.

Still doesn't make a bit of sense.

I mean, they're guns, but they're girls, and their butts are their stocks and their ... something is their trigger? What? I can accept anthropomorphized countries in Hetalia because it's all taking place in a metaphorical world, but this is apparently set in reality, so there must be some reason why guns become cute girls to go to school and ... WHAT?

If there's some explanation for this in the manga, could someone just mention what chapter I should look for.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 12:05   Link #71
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
If there's some explanation for this in the manga, could someone just mention what chapter I should look for.
The short of it is that there isn't any. The schoolteacher that we see in this episode is just as baffled at the why's and hows as the reader is. Things just are, as far as this world is concerned.
Old 2012-04-07, 12:32   Link #72
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm the last person who'd display interest in guns that aren't plastic and themed after a group of heroes, and this is more specific than a girl that has the power to transform into a gun (like Z-Cune Aoi)... but the power of anthromorphization, moeification and the general outline of a school comedy is enough to get me to watch a series. I've gotten so used to web series and series with somewhat odder premises being 3 minutes that having this be full length was the most surprising part.

The nature of the anthromorphification has led to some nonstandard countries being represented here. I can't remember the last time I saw anybody (human or... er... gunman?) from Belgium in an anime.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 12:35   Link #73
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Midonin: We have Swiss (Sig, the one with the bun, is one) and (later on) Israelis as well. The Upotte Nano 4-koma features the H&K and the Uzi families, for example.
Old 2012-04-07, 12:39   Link #74
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

The second I have seen that the depiction of Germans is to be generally strict, and wears an eyepatch. And do the girls seem a little wider than what it would usually be the norm?

That said, I find the show a little unique and unusual, have rather high hopes for this to be good!
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 14:58   Link #75
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 15:03   Link #76
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Yeah, I found that little detail weird, especially since the 4koma seems to be running in parallel with the main manga storyline. I mean, how can Sig have a bun in the main series, yet have short hair in the other?
If you finished chapter 15 then it should be kind of obvious why her hair is shorter in the 4koma.
Old 2012-04-07, 15:06   Link #77
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The short of it is that there isn't any. The schoolteacher that we see in this episode is just as baffled at the why's and hows as the reader is. Things just are, as far as this world is concerned.
This is it in a nutshell.

Nothing is really "explained" per se, in the manga - at least the chapters that I have read. But you shouldn't read "too much" into it, I think. If you are interested enough to read the chapters of the manga go ahead and do so. Again, Volume 1 is kinda introductory and mostly a combo of ecchi and some "action". Volume 2 seems to be focused almost slowly on "action" thus far.
Old 2012-04-07, 15:24   Link #78
Dark Wing

In order to hopefully avoid too many spoilers I've started a manga thread.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...69#post4095669
Old 2012-04-07, 20:40   Link #79
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I was leery of Upotte!! since I have little interest in guns, but I enjoyed the first episode. This might be my trashy guilty pleasure of the season.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 20:49   Link #80
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I'm not sure who'd have a fetish for an anthropomorphic assault weapon experiencing her sexual awakening at the sight of her sensei's gentle yet experienced handling of a toy gun, but I have to admit, it is pretty hilarious and oddly endearing.

File this in the "now I've seen everything" cabinet.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, shounen