AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-12-23, 08:36   Link #1
Cetra3

iPhone / iPod Touch Guide. MKV and XVID

Greetings.

For a long while I struggled to find a good Tutorial for viewing both .MKV and .AVI files on my iPod Touch. Since there really isn't a guide for both, I thought I would make you guys one as it took me a while to work it out.

Gathering the Programs:

The Combined Community Codec Pack - http://www.cccp-project.net/ - A wonderful codec pack. You would usually have this already.. If not I suggest you get it.

XviD4PSP - http://www.winnydows.com/xvid4psp.html - The main converting program.

MKVToolnix - http://bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html - This is for playing around with .MKV files, we will use this to extract subtitles.

MKVExtract GUI - http://coreforge.org/frs/?group_id=33&release_id=17 - This makes extracting subtitles a fair amount easier.

Installing the programs

Install the first 3 programs (The Combined Community Codec Pack, XviD4PSP, MKVToolnix)

With MKVExtract GUI just unzip it, then copy the .exe into the MKVToolnix directory (default is C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix)

Converting .AVI Files

1. Open up Xvid4PSP

2. Click "Open" and choose your file. You will then be able to preview the file you have just opened.

3. To the left of the video output, you will see Format, Choose "MP4 iPod Touch" as the format.

4. Make sure that both Denoise/Sharpen and Brightness/Contrast are set to Disabled. This is the default setting anyway. You can change this if you want to play around, but it's probably not a good idea

5. With Audio Encoding, choose "AAC-LC ABR 128k"

6. Choose "Save" and select the location you want to output the file to.

7. If you have more than 1 file that you would like to do, i.e, you just downloaded a whole series, click "Open" and repeat steps 3-6. Most likely you will just need to repeat step 6 since it saves your format settings. You will see a list of all files ready for conversion, once you're ready go to step 8.

8. Click "Encode" and it will begin to do its work. After this has completed, open up itunes or whatever you use and copy over the new file(s). Voila! It's done.

Converting .MKV Files

Most new anime coming out these days is encoded in superior h264 quality using the Matroska Video container format. The subtitles for this file format aren't hardsubs, they are softsubs which are seperate included inside the .MKV file. Much like a zip file.

iPods don't like softsubs, so we need to "Burn In" or "Hardcode" the subtitles into the video streams. This is pretty easy to do but requires a few extra steps than just normal AVI Files.

1. First up, we are going to have to 'extract' the subtitles. To do this you will need to navigate explorer to C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix. You should have MKVExtractGUI.exe in that directory, if you don't copy it in there now.

2. Open MKVExtractGUI, in there you will see "Input". Next to it there will be a '...' button, use this to open the file you want to watch on your ipod.

3. After a slight pause, under content you will see a list with "Track ID 1: Video" etc... Put a tick next to the one that says "Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/ASS)". It may not be number 3, but that doesn't matter.

4. Click the "Extract" Button. It will pop up a window saying "Files Demuxed Successfully!". This will create a file which will have a filename identical to your .mkv file, for instance if your anime file was 'daisuki.mkv' then you will have a file in the same directory 'daisuki.ass'

5. Open up Xvid4PSP and follow steps 2 - 5 above for AVIs. Don't save it yet.

6. Click "Subtitles" then click "Add". and open up the ".ASS" file that you extracted in step 4.

7. You can now preview your new movie with added subtitles.

8. Click "Save" and choose where you will want to save the converted movie.

9. You can do more than one video at onces, just follow steps 2-8.

9. Click "Encode" and it will do its stuff.

10. Copy them to your iPod Touch / iPhone and Voila! It should Work

I know it MAY seem like a bit of work to do. But it's not really.. Takes all of 30 seconds once you get the hang of it.

Happy watching
Cetra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 15:24   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Nice guide, but as it involves converting the files instead of actually making them play on iPhone/iPod (which would not be possible of course), this guide belongs in the Tech Support section instead.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 18:47   Link #3
CoolBradG
Disabled By Request

Does this work on the Classic/Video?
CoolBradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 22:42   Link #4
Nagi Souichirou

well so far i cant tell if it works for the program keeps erroring and freazing
Nagi Souichirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 07:50   Link #5
Cetra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBradG View Post
Does this work on the Classic/Video?
Yeah it should if you choose the right encoding type. The only problem is that the subtitles are minute and hard to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagi Souichirou View Post
well so far i cant tell if it works for the program keeps erroring and freazing
A couple of times it didn't work because the filename I was using had weird characters in it. So try renaming it to something with just letters before loading it in.

for instance:

'[BakaWolf-m.3.3.w] Kimi ga Nozomu Eien OVA ~Next Season~ 01 (H.264) [9B77BA6C].mkv'

Change it to something like:

'Kimi ga Nozomu Eien OVA - Next Season - 01.mkv'

If that doesn't help could you perhaps give me a bit of detail as to where it is crashing? and what error messages you are getting
Cetra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 03:15   Link #6
AnimeMaster2
The Original AnimeMaster

im giving this a test right now, i really hope it works because all other things iv tried sucks.
AnimeMaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 17:26   Link #7
SirJeannot
AT Field

i see you went for xvid4psp as well
in the end, it was the only choice left I had as well.

thanks for the mkv section!
Old 2010-01-26, 17:13   Link #8
InB4Haruhi
ロリPOP

EDIT: I figured out how to. My computer just sucks so it takes about an hour per episode.

Last edited by InB4Haruhi; 2010-01-29 at 23:04.
InB4Haruhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 12:27   Link #9
LilDeamon

Thanks for the ut!

D: but the converting stalls after extracting he sound, heres a screenie:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1922/19873001.jpg

Any idea? Thaks
LilDeamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 01:17   Link #10
ShannonCannon
Heroine

On a leisurely side-note, this is mildly applicable to the BlackBerry media center videos.

Das thanx for your in-depth analysis of vast gratuitous guiding skills Cetra3 member since Dec 2004.

Last edited by ShannonCannon; 2011-03-21 at 01:19. Reason: want to add face!
ShannonCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 15:59   Link #11
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Great guide.

I would like to mention that:

You can do softsubs on the iTouch/iPhone. SRT only and the rendering is horrible though. Its still a nice option for those of us that occasionally want to turn off subtitles, or wish to have multiple subtitle tracks. MKV's and AVI's will play if you have the VLC app for iPhone, but HD MKV's tend to be laggy.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 22:11   Link #12
daevilwithin

It says that it will take 30 seconds, but does that mean the encoding will be that quick? I plan to watch anime on my iPhone 4, so I have to convert from .mkv to .mp4. If it takes more than an hour an episode though, I might just settle for streams...
daevilwithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 23:09   Link #13
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Encoding depends on how fast your computer is.

I doubt it will be 30 sec though (unless you have a 4P server or something...), but a modern computer should take much less than an hour.
Old 2011-04-09, 12:39   Link #14
daevilwithin

Yeah, I just tried and it didn't take too long, but, I found that my videos went from 100MB .mkv, to MB .mp4. Any idea why? Or if this is normal.

EDIT: This anime was just dubbed, though. So I just straight converted.
daevilwithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 12:53   Link #15
Random32
Also a Lolicon

depending on what the settings were for the original, the difference in size may be caused by
-changes in how efficient the encoding was
-changes in resolution going from original to iTouch

Tags
wiki candidate