AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-03, 00:00   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 704 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Last chapter we saw Luffy enter Doflamingo's tournament in order to win his brother's devil fruit. What challenges await him there? Let's find out! Credit goes to Aohige and the rest of the gang from AP for the summary:

-Chapter title is "Lucy and the statue of Cyrus". The cover ministory involves Iron Boy Scotch (the cyborg servant of Kaidou's who X Drake met before the skip) attacking the rebels while Caribou watches the scene in fear.

-All of the warriors are shocked to see "Lucy" take down the Spartan. One of the arena guards is ready to kick him out of the place for causing a scene, but interestingly, three warriors come to the supernova's defense: The "Chinjao Brothers". Meanwhile, we're introduced to several more fighters, such as a king and his strategist who want the mera mera fruit for their army, an assassin duo, and a former bounty hunter. Another notable participant is a face we're familiar with: Bellamy the Dach Hyena, who now has a bounty of over 100 million! Other warriors who are mentioned (but now shown yet) is a pirate noble named "Cavendish" and another supernova rookie named "Balto Romeo".....

-The first round is revealed to be a battle royal, in which 550 warriors will fight, but only FOUR will come out on top. Luffy is placed in block C, and is taken to the armory to prepare for his match. It's at this time that we're introduced to the aforementioned pirate called Cavendish, a handsome man with a 280 million bounty and is quite popular with the ladies. Interestingly, he doesn't have a DF ability, but is interested in gaining the mera mera power. He meets Luffy, who almost spills the beans on his real identity. It turns out that Cavendish has a grudge against the Straw-Hat crew because he's jealous of their fame, but Luffy ignores his story. Instead, he comes across the statue of a warrior named Kyros.....

-A female gladiator named Rebecca tells Luffy that Kyros was a mythical warrior who won 3,000 battles, and only suffered a single sword wound during his reign. But interestingly, despite his reputation, there's no concrete proof that he ever existed. Afterwards, Rebecca tells Luffy that she wants to win the mera mera fruit so that she can take down Doflamingo, implying that she has a grudge against him.....

-Finally, a warrior called "Mr. Store" has conquered the A-block. He then takes off his mask and reveals his true identity: The captain of the first division of the Blackbeard Pirates..... JESUS BURGESS!!!!

....Whew. Lord almighty, what a chapter! So now we have full confirmation that Caribou's story will be connected to the Kaidou arc, we're being introduced to more powerful pirates from around the New World, we learn that the dachshund has survived after all (and I'll bet he'll still get taken down in one shot too, lol ), and JESUS FREAKING BURGESS returns! Man, as if I weren't hyped enough ALREADY for this arc....

Oh, and I suppose it's time for me to get the REBECCA FOR NAKAMA bandwagon rolling, yeah?

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-04-03 at 00:18.
Old 2013-04-03, 00:16   Link #2
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Huh.... now that I think about it... Jesus Burgess fits perfectly into a colosseum arc... though... doesn't he always wear a mask? Sooo... which mask did he take off? Cause... if he took off his usual mask... how would we recognize him?

Oh.... and Bellamy. We could pretty much guarantee he was alive... but I didn't think he'd get any better than he already was... maybe "Lucy" will end up fighting him again... and we'll see if he can take more than one punch this time~
Old 2013-04-03, 00:28   Link #3
marvelB

BTW, the only disappointment I have about this chapter is that the ministory pretty much debunked the theory I had of Scotch being one of those yeti guys from Punk Hazard. A shame too, since I kinda thought that it may have been more than a coincidence that both of these guys guarding a snowy place even shared the same name.....

Oh, and you just gotta LOVE how Blackbeard seems to be copying his pops and split his crew into separate squads.
Old 2013-04-03, 01:11   Link #4
andy

wonder how big BB crew is now .
Old 2013-04-03, 02:30   Link #5
Jaieni

Rebecca for new straw hat member?
Old 2013-04-03, 02:53   Link #6
Undertaker

Considering that they have division now, I would say pretty big.

But now it looks like this Tournament could take a while with all the players announced, I'm not so sure now that Dofla is going to make out of this and join with Kaidou for a round 2 against Law and SH.
Old 2013-04-03, 03:35   Link #7
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

woah, I know that Captain of the first division does not mean that he is the strongest/most reliable among the other members of BB pirates but I thought Shiryuu, Van Auger or Lafifte is more fitted into that role
Old 2013-04-03, 04:00   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I used divisions to make parallel to Whitebeard, but it's actually Captain of the First Ship, meaning, BB pirates has multiple ships and each has a captain.

But essentially the same thing as WB pirates, yeah.

Also, no one's talking about it, but Cavendish and Rebecca both seem to be important characters.
They both had a lot of pages and panels devoted to them. Cavendish is hilarious.

Oh, and of course, the Chinjao Family. They give me the Saruyama apes vibe, lol.

This chapter was the BOMB guys. I forced me to procrastinate at work.
Old 2013-04-03, 05:37   Link #9
DoubtGin

It's out.

Hilarious chapter, lots of funny moments.
Old 2013-04-03, 05:54   Link #10
Kirihara_R

hmm .. a female Gladiator Rebecca huh(new nakama? i agree but its slim)...I was hoping Zorro and Sanji will participate in the tournament too but i guess its not gonna happen ....
Old 2013-04-03, 06:00   Link #11
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

damn this mera mera fruit speculation! so tempting to throw my million crack pots out there
Old 2013-04-03, 06:03   Link #12
ranchan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaieni View Post
Rebecca for new straw hat member?
I was just thinking the same.
Flame Hair Rebecca
Seriously, she can't be Fire Fist, and that hair in flames would be epic.
Please Oda-sensei, make it so
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
Old 2013-04-03, 06:56   Link #13
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Seems like a good time for Jesus Burgess show up! It's a tourny and he's a wrestle champ of sorts... Could be also one good reason for the BB pirates get ahold of Mera Mera no mi.
Lol, I knew my last week predictions were right... can't go wrong with a tourny+meathead fighter.

But damn, that's some fearsome competition right there. Finals will be surely promising (as well as the whole thing haha).
Old 2013-04-03, 07:19   Link #14
ronin myael
lost ronin

bellamy is back! it's nice to see that arrogant bastard again.

i am loving the prince and the woman gladiator, very intriguing. i can't wait to see what they can do.

with burgess there, me thinks blackbeard has purposely sent his trusted dog to win the mera mera no mi. he does seem to have a sort of attachment to his fellow whitebeard pirates and ace's DF will surely be a prize. i wonder if there are any more notable blackbeard pirates in the island.

damn that lucy! he really is a bad liar isn't he?
Old 2013-04-03, 07:46   Link #15
james0246

Good chapter. Lots of great comedy mixed with some fun action and some silly character designs. Can't wait to see who is in Luffy's block.

p.s. Calling Blind Guy for Kyros.
Old 2013-04-03, 07:48   Link #16
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

4 blocks; Jesus Burgess being the victor of the first. I can make an easy guess the other 3 finalists will be Cavendish, Rebecca and Luffy.

It's a shame that Oda's introducing all these unique characters and yet they're likely to all fall pretty early. The unexpected appearance though was Bellamy. I never thought we'd see him again. Though he's likely going to be one-shot by Luffy again too.

I wonder who this Kyros fellow is and if he has any significance. Guess it's too early at this point to tell.

Cavendish was arrogant and self-absorbed, but also fabulous. I'm interested in seeing his fighting technique.~

And Rebecca will probably be an ally in the fight against Doflamingo later on. Wonder why she's so keen on killing him though...
Old 2013-04-03, 07:49   Link #17
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Calling Blind Guy for Kyros.
i thought that too. it certainly is possible.
Old 2013-04-03, 08:10   Link #18
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
4 blocks; Jesus Burgess being the victor of the first. I can make an easy guess the other 3 finalists will be Cavendish, Rebecca and Luffy.

It's a shame that Oda's introducing all these unique characters and yet they're likely to all fall pretty early. The unexpected appearance though was Bellamy. I never thought we'd see him again. Though he's likely going to be one-shot by Luffy again too.

I wonder who this Kyros fellow is and if he has any significance. Guess it's too early at this point to tell.

Cavendish was arrogant and self-absorbed, but also fabulous. I'm interested in seeing his fighting technique.~

And Rebecca will probably be an ally in the fight against Doflamingo later on. Wonder why she's so keen on killing him though...
Probably wants to stab him for cheating on her.
Old 2013-04-03, 08:48   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That chapter was tremendous fun. Loved it.

Tons of new faces introduced, and a couple of old ones returning. I really hope Bellamy is in Luffy's block so that we can see him getting one-hit KO'd by Luffy was again.

The obvious finalist should be Cavendish, Luffy and Rebecca, but anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Cavendish got his beautiful face destroyed. He doesn't really strike me as top tier material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and I suppose it's time for me to get the REBECCA FOR NAKAMA bandwagon rolling, yeah?
People always say this about every new remotely sympathetic character introduced (sometimes even villains ), but I think it might be likely this time. A female gladiator with the mera mera fruit as new nakama would be cool. I'm jumping on this bandwagon!
Old 2013-04-03, 09:11   Link #20
Tommy
Mr. Prince

BOOM! I KNEW BLACKBEARD WOULD BE AFTER THIS FRUIT.

Anyways, best part of this chapter for me was seeing Bellamy. I can't wait till he meets Luffy again!
Closed Thread