AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2012-08-24, 08:21   Link #35921
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Eras
I'm truly happy

On a more serious note.

Is this happen before the grimdark? Then it'll serve as a good mood shift material. There's no reduction in quality at all, meaning the transition will be very, very smooth and yet, emotional and tragic.

@ Demi
Which part of it? The numbers might be inaccurate, but I have basic understanding of it's working mechanism if you want to ask.
Old 2012-08-24, 08:28   Link #35922
demino_hellsin
That one guy

The mechanism should work a shaft, the shaft works electric turbines. This is the engine.

Generally nuclear powerplants and the like generate heat to send to a heating medium which reaches the turbine and generates energy. Then the medium is reprocessed to reabsorb heat.

However we seem to have bypassed that and directly generate electricity. GN drives theoretically produce a crap load of solar energy which is converted into electric energy. So that sci-fi piece of equipment gets a dubious pass. I was planning to make use of the same mechanism haha.

Though since we're talking of this already maybe I can make my energy system's theoretical process have a special micro component that allows the excited waste sub atomic particles from the decay directly pass on the energy between them... hmmm....
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 08:32   Link #35923
Eratas123

@ Senpai - Is Saito's personality different?
Old 2012-08-24, 08:39   Link #35924
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Demi
Simple, MHD generator

The system itself is integrated with the reactor as a whole. As said before, the system is not efficient enough that more than 80% power still wasted as heat. This is why, to maximize efficiency, the heat will be moved via heat exchanger system to additional modules, usually a turbine of some sort.

Once again, additional modules tend to be larger than the reactor itself, the same as real life reactor.

(Yeah, I took liberties with number, as stated before)

@ Eras
Definitely.
Old 2012-08-24, 08:50   Link #35925
Eratas123

Does he act completely different from the later drafts?
Old 2012-08-24, 08:54   Link #35926
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Yes, seems like he also THINK differently.
Old 2012-08-24, 08:58   Link #35927
Eratas123

What do you mean?
Old 2012-08-24, 09:04   Link #35928
demino_hellsin
That one guy

@zero: From what little I can understand of the MHD in comparison to the standard steam engines and combustion engines that I understand...

Your reactor is connected to a MHD set-up. The reactor generates a lot of energy that excites the liquid heating medium kinetically and electronically. You bypass a compressor because the heating medium doesn't even reach vaporization point. One way or another MHD generates a lot of heat, enough to produce flame as a byproduct. However that isn't where it generates power. It uses the Hall effect to achieve power generation. Hall effect energies from personal experience... are kinda negligible... but the article looks solid and sci-fi does allow for some material liberties. However, technically it's still not running in a direct reactor to turbine conversion.

Unless that special substance is actually the fluid that runs through the MHD generator and you just continuously introduce this fluid instead of processing the energy in a reactor...

my head hurts...
Old 2012-08-24, 18:16   Link #35929
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
@zero: From what little I can understand of the MHD in comparison to the standard steam engines and combustion engines that I understand...

Your reactor is connected to a MHD set-up. The reactor generates a lot of energy that excites the liquid heating medium kinetically and electronically.
This
Quote:
However that isn't where it generates power. It uses the Hall effect to achieve power generation. Hall effect energies from personal experience... are kinda negligible... but the article looks solid and sci-fi does allow for some material liberties.
Nope, FUJI-1 gas turbine claims 20-30% efficiency as standalone system, 60% with conventional steam driven sub-generator attached. Improved scifi material simply raise it a little, and reduce the bulk A LOT

Quote:
However, technically it's still not running in a direct reactor to turbine conversion.
See below
Quote:
Unless that special substance is actually the fluid that runs through the MHD generator and you just continuously introduce this fluid instead of processing the energy in a reactor...
The system is closed indirect heat cycle, the MHD themselves is driven by the reactor coolant (molten salt in this case). The heat is bled outside using heat transfer system to be utilized via modules...

or outright wasted via radiator (at which point the reactor is a costly inefficient junk)
Quote:
my head hurts...
I know it's not hard enough, as I said, anything that is not scientifically accurate is handwaved.

Last edited by ZeroXSEED; 2012-08-24 at 20:09.
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 18:39   Link #35930
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Holy shit you're up early 0.0

Spoiler for Combat Scene:

Spoiler for The day after:

Comments? Inserted a familiar name though I think I might've exagerated abit on the "gossips spread like wildfire" part.

XD
Old 2012-08-24, 18:45   Link #35931
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Machine gorn, this will be a nice day indeed.

I guess Cecilia interested because the ruckus disturbed her sleep
Old 2012-08-24, 21:33   Link #35932
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Exactly. But I was only talking about the Hall Effect alone which only generates that 30% of net power you were talking about.

So the waste heat in the MHD generator becomes a power source for another generator? So that makes it a two part hybrid system. I saw a picture of the MHD in the article you gave me but does a hybrid system really fit into 40cm?...

forget it let's just handwave that...
Old 2012-08-24, 21:59   Link #35933
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Indeed, I run away free with number

In universe, it's still claimed as undersized (20% efficiency as opposed to 60% maximum potential) since the reactor is really made as compact as possible without risking of melting itself. The MHD is really a bonus, since it's put on the reactor cooling system than anything else.

Also yes, the additional generator would be the size of Abrams tank engine, assuming you want to harvest the wasted 700 kW worth of energy as pure electrical power. it wouldn't be cost efficient either way, since larger reactor built on normal material has the same cost for 225% output.
Old 2012-08-24, 22:08   Link #35934
demino_hellsin
That one guy

wait a sec... so the MHD is only a cooling system... and your reactor itself has direct electric production capabilities?
Old 2012-08-24, 22:28   Link #35935
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Sorry I mess the order

Okay, let's sort it out

1. The reactor, plus integrated cooling system, is 40 cm diameter. Total output is about 1 Megawatt, mostly in pure heat (assumed to be aneutronic). The cooling system is equipped with MHD system that convert some of these output into 200 kW worth or electricity, which mean the cooling system is NOT, by any means sufficient, the extra heat has to go somewhere...

2. Using heat transfer, said waste heat THEN can be used for anything else. Namely, turbines, compressor, etc.

Last edited by ZeroXSEED; 2012-08-24 at 22:52.
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 22:52   Link #35936
Eratas123

Morning everyone.....
Old 2012-08-24, 22:56   Link #35937
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Morning
Old 2012-08-24, 23:08   Link #35938
Eratas123

@ Senpai - So I need to ask: What do you mean that he THINKS differently too?
Old 2012-08-24, 23:18   Link #35939
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

He seems to react to his surrounding differently, unlike his cold-ass self in the present (I'm assuming that's a flashback to something along that line). he seems more innocent and relaxed as well. That's the kind of vibe I got.
Old 2012-08-24, 23:29   Link #35940
Eratas123

Well, part of the deconstruction in Dark Future is that Saito starts out as the wannabe Knight in Shining armor cliche. Hence why he feels proud and calls himself a hero in the narration. On the other hand, his idealism gets continuously battered in the story: A huge chunk of it is destroyed when he stops the serial rapist since it's the first time he's seen so much human depravity. It gets worse in the Justine arc since he has to deal with the fact that not only is Justine irredeemable, but the fact that the people he tries to help along the way - the people he gets himself injured for to assist - Turn on him and anybody else there without a second thought if it suits them.

At that point, he stops acting like he feels anything at all after a job's success. Also, his mannerisms and appearance slowly change every time he goes lower on the scale. Most of his bangs get burnt off during the SR arc, along with the fact that he loses his glasses, while he stops calling Yukari "Nee-chan". The Justine arc causes his eyes to retain a perpetual dead look and he stops smiling as well etc etc.

Anyway, got another draft. Can you please read?

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest