AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 67 38.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 28.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 18.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 10.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.58%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-19, 18:49   Link #101
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The second is that I really like what they did with the characters, Sheryl in particular. She seems to be both a consummate professional and a complete egoist at the same time. I feel that her very character gives proof to the feeling that anime in general would do well to explore more kinds of personalities (particularly in terms of the protagonists) rather dwelling on the same archetypes over and over again. Alto also fares very well compared to other lead characters in mecha shows, and perhaps in anime in general. We need to see more from him, but he's extremely promising so far.
Yeah, I also liked both characters. In my opinion, Alto exhibits normal adolescent angst, without veering into completely idiotic behavior, which you sometimes see in male anime leads.
Old 2008-04-19, 19:44   Link #102
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
The oversubbing () of Macross Frontier continues...

AnimeOne, Gekkostate, and Menclave have tossed their collective hats into the ring with their joint release of episode one!

Downloaded and seen a very good job.

Now we can see Karaoke for all musics, HD quality and good quality of sub in one mkv.
Old 2008-04-22, 00:32   Link #103
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
The oversubbing () of Macross Frontier continues...

AnimeOne, Gekkostate, and Menclave have tossed their collective hats into the ring with their joint release of episode one!

All I can say is, Holy CRAP! A joint between 4 groups? Macross must be real special to be the first series in which I saw 4 groups working on it as a joint.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-04-22, 04:48   Link #104
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post
Downloaded and seen a very good job.

Now we can see Karaoke for all musics, HD quality and good quality of sub in one mkv.
woah. sounds good.

i think i'll download it, just to see how good the encoding is.
Old 2008-04-22, 14:59   Link #105
Tabris

The quality was fantastic on the Aone etc. sub. I just thought the swearing was a bit excessive (even if there was only a little). But far be it for me to question people who actually have a decent understanding of Japanese, nevermind 4 subgroups worth.
Old 2008-04-22, 15:36   Link #106
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
The quality was fantastic on the Aone etc. sub. I just thought the swearing was a bit excessive (even if there was only a little). But far be it for me to question people who actually have a decent understanding of Japanese, nevermind 4 subgroups worth.
subbing was good, nice and clear, also liked the subbing of the song karaoke, especially the ending song.

It's slight more accurate then AiA I-Z, but strangely they cut out the eyecatcher. no nya nyan, which shinsen sub does well by subbingit as well as the on screen dishes.

however i was once again surprised at the encoding quality.

Coming in a 340Mb about the same as Shinsen, yet once again, AiA I-Z comes in a 170Mb yet the encoding qulaity is...well...FANTASTIC.

dunno how many times i have to say it, but .mp4 is great compared to mkv or avi.

If you want accurate and detailed subs get shinsen, if you want great karaoke subs with clear subs get Aone, if you want good sub details, but SUPERIOR encoding, with sharp, bright and dark contrasting images at a low file size, then get AiA I-Z.

Here, i got a comparison picture, far left is AiA I-Z, to the right is Aone (the small inner is AiA I-Z again)

click to see a bigger version

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2008-04-23 at 00:14.
Old 2008-04-22, 20:59   Link #107
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
^ they have good filter, i m still reclutan for the mkv fandom, i stay with anyfansub who do the work with mp4
Old 2008-04-24, 04:52   Link #108
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm not sure which group is best, I haven't sampled Gattai yet as their subs didn't work on Mplayer, I might have to go to my windows machine and try it with the CCCP, AIA-IZ were okay but I didn't particularly like some of the translations (mostly the way they keep changing the spelling of Mikhail's name depending on the pronunciation on screen, it seems to be pretty random whether the VAs use one or the other, so they should just standardise it...)

Menclave tends to do good subs, and combined with 3 other groups I'm sure they'll do a good job of it, though it's a pity they cut Nyan Nyan, their fonts turned weird and ugly on my machine, this may be down to mplayer again, I've seen screencaps where this issue didn't exist

Shinsen also seem okay.

Can anyone who knows japanese tell who has the most accurate/best translation?

Also on the quality front I believe that Menclave went on the record as saying that their one was the most accurate to the TV version, while AIA's was sharpened in the encoding. I'm nonplussed myself. The only thing I can tell is that shinsen has the worst image due to being in standard def
Old 2008-04-24, 19:29   Link #109
Tabris

I wish they'd all just band together (6+ group collab anyone?) and make perfect subs

I guess for now at least, I'll download one of each groups subs. Though I do wish that Shinsen started using .mkvs at least
Old 2008-04-24, 22:16   Link #110
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
I wish they'd all just band together (6+ group collab anyone?) and make perfect subs

I guess for now at least, I'll download one of each groups subs. Though I do wish that Shinsen started using .mkvs at least

....and i wish they started using .mp4 at best. best dammn filtering at the prce of a small file size.
Old 2008-04-25, 06:27   Link #111
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Mp4 doesn't run well in certain players, even Vlc has some trouble with em, Let alone Mplayer (CCCP probably runs them well enough, but that's windows only)
Old 2008-04-25, 07:01   Link #112
Sephikun
Anime Event Organsier

Is it just me or does the AonE & Gekkostate & Menclave version have massive subtitles? they take up half the screen on my comp >_<
Old 2008-04-25, 07:42   Link #113
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
....and i wish they started using .mp4 at best. best dammn filtering at the prce of a small file size.
True, but a certain group (who I can't name) gets fantastic quality out of 150mb .mkvs. Admittedly, it's for Aria and there is nowhere near as much action as Macross, but the quality they get from 150mb is just amazing.

I just wish you softsub mp4 files (can it be done on mp4s?) like on mkvs, it saves room on having the raw and sub as two seperate files. The additional quality is just a major plus.

Last edited by Tabris; 2008-04-25 at 09:45.
Old 2008-04-25, 10:58   Link #114
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephikun View Post
Is it just me or does the AonE & Gekkostate & Menclave version have massive subtitles? they take up half the screen on my comp >_<
I got that too, which player were you using? On CCCP they turn up fine. When I use MPlayer though they turn out huge like yours.

This is the only time I've had trouble with Mplayer, the way I solved it was that I turned off styled subtitles and then shifted the scale down on the default subtitling.

Also it's possible to get High def down to 230 megs, but Menclave and a few other groups, for reason unknown to myself, choose to keep them high. Perhaps you have to sacrifice framerates to get the size down to 230.

Anbu's release of Mushishi was 130 Megs each and great looking, beat that!
Old 2008-05-08, 01:18   Link #115
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Now I wonder if MF is being oversubbed because the resurrected Lunar Fansubs have released their version of episode 1!

Gonna download it and see what's up!
Old 2008-05-08, 02:36   Link #116
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

OMFG, Lunar subbed Macross F? Holy sh..... So yeah with me <--- self-proclaimed biggest Lunar fanboy ever, I just had to get and watch it asap.

I particularly LOL'ed at the line... "Galactic Nymph, my butt. Galactic Bitch is more like it." Absolutely pricessless for its comedic effect. XD

Now if they only karaoke'd the insert songs, it would've been perfect...

Well, enough fanboying now.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-05-08, 03:39   Link #117
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
OMFG, Lunar subbed Macross F? Holy sh..... So yeah with me <--- self-proclaimed biggest Lunar fanboy ever, I just had to get and watch it asap.

I particularly LOL'ed at the line... "Galactic Nymph, my butt. Galactic Bitch is more like it." Absolutely pricessless for its comedic effect. XD

Now if they only karaoke'd the insert songs, it would've been perfect...

Well, enough fanboying now.
I agree with all of the above.
Old 2008-05-09, 07:41   Link #118
yjs

Ep1 was awesome- my first Macross ever! But the Engrish in all of the songs were horrendous... ;(
Old 2008-06-01, 16:25   Link #119
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

So, letme ask this. I wanna watch this show, but seeing so many groups subbing it I can't decide who to go with. I saw Lunar subbing it, and I love them. Who do ya'll recommend?
Old 2008-06-01, 17:53   Link #120
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjs View Post
Ep1 was awesome- my first Macross ever! But the Engrish in all of the songs were horrendous... ;(
Engrish and Macross go hand in hand, you'll just have to deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
So, letme ask this. I wanna watch this show, but seeing so many groups subbing it I can't decide who to go with. I saw Lunar subbing it, and I love them. Who do ya'll recommend?
Well, we talked about it a bit here http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=45779&page=65

But it depends on your system and preference with subs (HD, hard or softsubbed etc)
Closed Thread