AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Total Rating
Perfect 10 25 20.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 15.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 30.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 9.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 5.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.50%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.83%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-08, 04:10   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Overall Season Impressions & Total Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of To Aru Majutsu no Index II ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about the BD/DVD only footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the season, and the series on the whole.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (BD/DVD only) or adjustments you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total season rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Season Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 04:12   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'll just dump my MAL review here:

Spoiler for full review:

Overall: 5/10
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 05:06   Link #3
Zakoo

Okay, I may love To aru, but the second season was just above the average.

Firstly, the pointless first episode, totally aside the time line of the story. JC Staff could have spared us that.
Second, really, the adaption has been tasteless for me. The Orsola arc, by far too many episodes for what it was, making the pace of the next arcs by far quicker than it should have been. The daihaiseisai ... I don't know why but I enjoyed it when I read it but watching it put my level of enjoyement near zero.

Actually, I really began to like it when the new OP aired with episode 18. It was great, yeah the adaption was good, the pacing too, maybe because Slice of Life Index is the best Index but whatever.

The episodes 21-22 were pretty weird, with unexplicable situations ( Kihara kicking Accelerator while Index talks about ' saving her' ) but still I liked them.

Coup de grāce given by the SS, I would have prefered 3 OAV as for Shana, than 1.5 episodes of fail adaptation. Nothing explained, you don't even know why Musujime is playing the terrorists nor what is the plan of Skill-Out if you don't have read the novel.

Because I have read it, I compare the two, I don't know for non reader novel how they felt for the Second Season, yet for me, I only really enjoyed 5 episodes, 18 to 22.

Total rating : 7/10
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 06:00   Link #4
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
9/10....

At the beginning of season II probably i'm on a 6/10..but ending of season is just TOO EPIC....

I like it very very much
Old 2011-04-08, 08:20   Link #5
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Well TAMNI did create one of my favorite characters, Mikoto and there is that great ending but then I really did not like Dahaisesai arc and RCC arcs(excluding the end of the season arc) so 7 for me.

I am eager to see the 3rd season if it keeps the consistency of a great story which the last arc delivered.
Old 2011-04-08, 09:17   Link #6
tsunade666

8/10. 8 might be turn out good. The first part was handle greatly. No rushing and the pacing was perfect. I also like the pacing in daihaseisai even though some nice scenes was cut. The Italy arc was also nice too despite being short in episode. But the troublesome part is the climax of the story. It's...... to much rushed that the transition from one scene to another will only leave you clueless. The emotional impact the novel give from each scene isn't delivered well in the novel.

I know I shouldn't blame the studio or the director. But it's their decision. Instead of cramming SS 1 into 2 episodes. They should have spend the whole ending into vol 13. it might turn better.

8/10 is just mercy for my favorite novel/series. I might ended up giving it 6 or 7 or maybe 5 if it's not one of my favorites.
Old 2011-04-08, 09:51   Link #7
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Most of the first part of S2 was boring as heck (except for the Tree Diagram arc). It really kicked in at Episode 17, and even then there was this rushed feeling to it, like most of the season. The staff on S2 was far less competent that the ones from S1. S1, even if it doesn't look like it, had TONS of stuff cut from it, yet it feel non-rushed and rather natural most of the time.

Another thing about S2 is that it takes the viewer as some TAMNI whiz-kid because they DON'T EXPLAIN STUFF PROPERLY. S1 did it rather well for the most part, but for S2 I had to look up stuff on the wiki or read excerpts from the LN to understand stuff. This is one of the major flaws of S2: it takes it's audience for granted, and that they read the LN.

The soundtrack for Index2 was good. Some tracks were 'meh' while others were 'YEAHH THAT'S AWESOME!'.

Accelerator's and Kihara's seiyuus deserve a big frocking award for their performance (I know Accel's gotten awards, but not sure about Kihara's).

I have high hopes for Index3 as that's when the really good stuff happens. I hope the fan backlash gets them to rearrange their staffs/directors/whatever back to S1 level at the very least. If we get Railgun2, I hope to god they don't force in moe-moe-kyun in. If anything, Railgun2 should be dark and somewhat of a prelude for what is to come. It's about Misaka delving into AC's dark side to save her Sisters, the introduction of ITEM (before S3 aka Vol.15) and seeing pre-braindamage Accel in contrast to the 'reformed' one, plus seeing from Accel's POV his fight with TouMAN.

I don't believe in numerical ratings, but I say that S2 was above average~ish.

Also, KIIIIIHAAAAARAAAAA-KUUUUNNNNN! <-----Best part of the season right there.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 11:35   Link #8
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
8/10. 8 might be turn out good. The first part was handle greatly. No rushing and the pacing was perfect. I also like the pacing in daihaseisai even though some nice scenes was cut. The Italy arc was also nice too despite being short in episode. But the troublesome part is the climax of the story. It's...... to much rushed that the transition from one scene to another will only leave you clueless. The emotional impact the novel give from each scene isn't delivered well in the novel.

I know I shouldn't blame the studio or the director. But it's their decision. Instead of cramming SS 1 into 2 episodes. They should have spend the whole ending into vol 13. it might turn better.

8/10 is just mercy for my favorite novel/series. I might ended up giving it 6 or 7 or maybe 5 if it's not one of my favorites.
I second this post, though I did like the SS parts.
Old 2011-04-08, 12:02   Link #9
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quoted from the episode 24 topic
Spoiler for space:

Overall I give it a 5/10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 12:03   Link #10
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
I second this post, though I did like the SS parts.

The SS would be nice if and only IF it's not rushed and been cramped in the end and it also bump into vol 13. Now if only they didn't pushed the introduction of bro shiage in the story. Vol 13 would be a awesome piece to ended up with.

SS ending is also nice if and only IF again if there's time. Time constraints make SS really awful for me. Even though the others are happy that the final cast for bro shiage is the seiyuu which they adore. Now Index had all the big time seiyuu of J.C. Staff

remove

Last edited by tsunade666; 2011-04-08 at 21:27.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 17:24   Link #11
outerelf

I would just like to say first and foremost that I'm a very casual anime viewer who watches it for popcorn and lulz like most Michael Bay viewers who go to the theaters for his movies.

Spoiler for My lazy thoughts:

So... 8/10
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 22:50   Link #12
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i cannot say it was good after mostly a sloppy animation, rushed adaptation, and bad choices of direction, the strong part was the VA and the BGM wich was mostly carried over from the epic S1, and this from a person that readed the novels because without that a lot of things wouldnt be understood or dont make any sense at all.

Rating:6/10
Old 2011-04-09, 00:20   Link #13
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

To be honest, when I said that JC Staff's 2nd season always is worse than the 1st at the beginning, before the 2nd season actually started, I didn't think it actually would be worse.
..........Boy was I wrong! It really was worse.

1. The animation quality was... pretty bad. The first half was incredibly bad and while the second half was better, it still was pretty bad (like that thing which resembled Last Order but most certainly could not be her).

2. The story was also generally bad. The first half was incredibly bad (Pattern here?) and while the second half was better, it still fell at the end. Vento (laugh)...
I guess the part between Kihara and Accelerator was the high point and only saving point.
Also, lack of explanations.
I guess it is partially the original novel's fault. When you convert a not-so-good source, you can't be bound to make a good anime... Usually.

3. OP all were worse than the first season's. Mayonnaise and Bob.
The second ED was great though. (The person responsible for it was the one who did Railgun, after all!)

4. The characters were also... Well, let's say that by the point some random Frankenstein's Monster thug guy is more interesting than all of the other new characters, something is wrong.
Though it isn't the first time this series seems to make a character "unique" by giving them some strange speech pattern (that honestly isn't even proper Japanese, probably)

So all in all, it was pretty bad. I guess 6/10. Since while it was bad, it still was watchable and all of that stuff.
I guess one good thing is that the anime covered the novels I bought but never read (lost interest by vol. 5), so now I don't really have to care about them anymore. May they forever be covered by dust.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 23:49   Link #14
DorkingtonPugsly

I liked this second season better then the first. Probably because of the invasion arc (which is the beginning of awesomeness). The problem with this season was pacing and animation quality. Most arcs weren't paced well and the animation was pretty bad a lot of the times. And then you have a couple episodes of perfect animation, like episode 19, 22, 24, maybe 1, 13, and a few others. I liked the soundtrack for this season. I thought there were some pretty epic soundtracks. I love how they reused gensou goroshi. I don't mind the use of that once every season. The problem is that the real deal only starts from the invasion arc, so volume 12 and on. Basically, Season 3 should be amazing, even if the pacing is off sometimes. Just because of the awesome arcs and characters (ITSUWA!). But yeah. I guess you could look at this season as a test. Real fans who await the 3rd season of godliness and will put up with a mediocre season 2 will watch this and not complain too much and just wait in excitement for what is to come. The people who aren't really huge fans of the series will complain a ton and maybe even stop watching, idek. Overall I give this season a 9/10. Why? Cuz I love the series, I loved some arcs, and I don't really mind flaws in anime. I like anything good lol.
Old 2011-04-10, 03:16   Link #15
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I would like to point out that 40 out of 53 replies to this thread were off topic and as such deleted, in a range varying from slightly OT to severely OT. All in all, this is not the place where to:

- Guess who could voice characters that for now are only in the novels
- Criticize other people's tastes. If they liked it and you don't, no need to argue.
- Bring up Madoka Magica because lately it's trendy to bash it.
- Widely talk about To Aru novels (they can be used to talk about adaptation, but not discussed on their own)
- Discuss Series that have nothing to do with Index (The Big Three?)
- Generically derail the thread with pointless debates and/or meta discussions. Also don't bait or flame.

Stick to the thread title and guidelines. Discuss, comment, rate Index Season 2.

This is the first and last warning to everyone. Infractions will fly at the next sign of derailment.
Old 2011-04-10, 11:36   Link #16
ZeroForever

lol was wondering where all the posts went.

either way i gave it a 6/10 which i felt was feeling generous, as noted by others the series is really generic and formulaic once you get down to the how every arc/fight ends up and touma's preaching irritates me to no end.
This is one of those series that i feel it could have been so much more then it is... still having read the translations for the LN they did a decent job with the source material.
Old 2011-04-16, 11:33   Link #17
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
Most of the first part of S2 was boring as heck (except for the Tree Diagram arc). It really kicked in at Episode 17, and even then there was this rushed feeling to it, like most of the season. The staff on S2 was far less competent that the ones from S1. S1, even if it doesn't look like it, had TONS of stuff cut from it, yet it feel non-rushed and rather natural most of the time.

Another thing about S2 is that it takes the viewer as some TAMNI whiz-kid because they DON'T EXPLAIN STUFF PROPERLY. S1 did it rather well for the most part, but for S2 I had to look up stuff on the wiki or read excerpts from the LN to understand stuff. This is one of the major flaws of S2: it takes it's audience for granted, and that they read the LN.

The soundtrack for Index2 was good. Some tracks were 'meh' while others were 'YEAHH THAT'S AWESOME!'.

Accelerator's and Kihara's seiyuus deserve a big frocking award for their performance (I know Accel's gotten awards, but not sure about Kihara's).

I have high hopes for Index3 as that's when the really good stuff happens. I hope the fan backlash gets them to rearrange their staffs/directors/whatever back to S1 level at the very least. If we get Railgun2, I hope to god they don't force in moe-moe-kyun in. If anything, Railgun2 should be dark and somewhat of a prelude for what is to come. It's about Misaka delving into AC's dark side to save her Sisters, the introduction of ITEM (before S3 aka Vol.15) and seeing pre-braindamage Accel in contrast to the 'reformed' one, plus seeing from Accel's POV his fight with TouMAN.

I don't believe in numerical ratings, but I say that S2 was above average~ish.

Also, KIIIIIHAAAAARAAAAA-KUUUUNNNNN! <-----Best part of the season right there.
Well considering that it is a aimed at Japanese audiences after all and Index is the highest selling LN series in history...understandable why they would assume audiences have read the books. Doesn't excuse the presentaion flaws of course but it does make the reasons clearer.
Old 2011-04-16, 12:29   Link #18
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Well considering that it is a aimed at Japanese audiences after all and Index is the highest selling LN series in history...understandable why they would assume audiences have read the books. Doesn't excuse the presentaion flaws of course but it does make the reasons clearer.
Hmmm, it does make me wonder though; what are the general views of the Japanese audiences' then?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 20:33   Link #19
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

6/10. Can only say episode 7 and 19 impressed me from start to end far as production quality goes. Overall the series relied too much on being complemented with the novel, as evident by the accelerated (ahem) pacing in the last few episodes. Not bad for its novel readers, they get to see the exciting bits animated without the boring plot related things, but for everyone else -- meh. I enjoyed the first series more.
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 23:25   Link #20
Xenertor
The holder of Destruction

It was an 8, it was good but the story got boring at times, but I did liked the action scenes ...
Xenertor is offline   Reply With Quote