AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-07, 16:05   Link #181
BluWacky
尻の竜

This show is awesome on a stick. An intricately animated magical penguin girl stick.

I loved it. Thank god for Ikuni.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:43   Link #182
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Caved in an watched the RAW

I knew it. I always had faith in Ikuhara that he was going to bring out something great. 15 years later and the man still has the touch. The OST is just as great, and the OP and ED are leagues ahead of everything else this season (and past?)

I'm so happy right now.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:44   Link #183
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
I...cant describe how awesome this anime is
Sure you can, with one word too: FAABBBBBUUULLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS.

Lay your eyes upon the most glorious magical transformation ever since you saw Sailor Moon for the very first time.

It went from 'this is so stupid cliche and boring' to the 'Holy crap, my eyes are now feasting on the ingenuity of human imagination'. Awesome penguin is awesome, and that flair and music seriously just tap the right zone for all my senses. Lelouche and Takuto got nothing on this.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:53   Link #184
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I would've used PENGUINS to describe it, but I guess that works too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Lay your eyes upon the most glorious magical transformation ever since you saw Sailor Moon for the very first time.
As expected from the man who directed both show. He is the only one who can make something better :3
Old 2011-07-07, 17:22   Link #185
ZODDGUTS

Shame he didn't do Star Diver may be it would turned out good.
Old 2011-07-07, 17:59   Link #186
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Not sure if want......

(looks too Sailormoon-ish to me)
Old 2011-07-07, 18:30   Link #187
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Your words say not sure.

But your body is saying yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Shame he didn't do Star Diver may be it would turned out good.
Hm

Spoiler for Star Driver, Ikuhara, kinda off topic:
Anyway, this series looks more aimed at being as symbolic as it possibly canrather than be visually attractive (though it could very well be both), so I think it wouldn't relate much to Star Driver.
Old 2011-07-07, 19:13   Link #188
Woland
Latin Rascal

Transformation (?!) sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZdgpuBdNKg

The only bad thing is I had to wait 12 damn years for this!
Old 2011-07-07, 21:25   Link #189
ZODDGUTS

Star Driver just wasn't all that great. I think Duckroll put it best in another thread about Star Driver:

Quote:
For what it's worth, Melody of Oblivion and Star Driver both seem to be more like Utena than Penguin Drum. But that might have been the problem. Both MoO and SD feel so much like Utena clones, and end up being inferior wannabes. Pendrum feels pretty... different in terms of themes, tones, etc, but still feels like it's by the same director. I think the one thing Enokido for some reason never managed to copy from Ikuhara, is the brand of humor in Utena.
Anyways looking forward to this. Good to hear it's not trying to emulate Utena and instead trying to be it's own series.
Old 2011-07-07, 22:50   Link #190
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Now then, now then, almost here...
I don't mind if it is unique, but I want them to do it good. No matter how unique a show is, there is no point if it isn't interesting. A good show becomes a far better memory, even if the plot wasn't anything different.

Who is Ikuhara again...
Ikuhara is that weird guy that likes to dress up as Sailor Mars

More seriously, he's the legendary director who was behind Revolutionary Girl Utena and much of Sailor Moon. Most of us in this thread are drawn to this show because he hasn't directed any real anime projects since the Utena movie came out 12 years ago. In my opinion, he's the only anime director to top Kon Satoshi.

On to Mawaru Penguin Drum... Wow! That was excellent! I was completely hooked by the time the penguin showed up with the transit pass. The sheer awesome in this episode allays my fears that Ikuhara's creative juices had been dried up since Utena. The unique little touches that he put in his shows are sorely missed, and I'm awful happy that they're back again.

I never thought that there was any real danger that Penguin Drum would end up much like Utena. Utena had already accomplished everything that Ikuhara set to put in it, so there was no need to retread the same territory. I think that goes a ways towards explaining why Utena had so few direct imitators: it was so creatively successful that any elements drawn from it were doomed to come off second best.
Old 2011-07-08, 00:47   Link #191
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Man, wow. I expected creativity and this certainly was CREATIVE. I enjoyed the hell out of this first episode personally.

I am really looking forward to where this anime will take us. First episode alone was a great roller coaster.
Old 2011-07-08, 01:06   Link #192
Kagura89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Ikuhara is that weird guy that likes to dress up as Sailor Mars
I'd love too see a picture of him dressing as Sailor Mars

First episode is so amazing & fabulous, as expected from Ikuhara
Old 2011-07-08, 01:25   Link #193
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

That just awesome beyond words... I'm smiling like kids with their new toys when and after watching the episode.
Old 2011-07-08, 01:27   Link #194
ZODDGUTS

Great episode. Already better than Star Driver ever was. That transforming sequence was awesome. Love the personality of the girl during...
Old 2011-07-08, 01:35   Link #195
Used Can

This was everything I expected from Ikuhara.

By the end, when Kanba was talking about fate and loving despite DNA I could already see what he was going to do. Now, all we need is for the other brother to be in love with him. Then the other girl could fall for Himari.

Oh hell... FUCK YES!
Old 2011-07-08, 01:49   Link #196
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Being better than Star Driver is hardly an accomplishment. ;p

That said, loved this first episode, and wtf was with that kiss at the end, lol. :/

Are there really enough men in Japan in love with their own sisters that it supports this anime trope, or is the whole brother sexually in love with one's sister just a fringe otaku thing? I know, I know, different cultures, blah blah, and I've long ago become used to just about anything anime has thrown in my face, but I've always wondered how much of what we see in anime reflects parts of Japanese society.

Still, great episode with lots of potential, and love the penguins, even if whoever is possessing the sister's body didn't make an ounce of sense in regards to whatever this Survival Strategy is.

Though, I have to wonder, if she's temporarily extending the sister's life, what does that mean exactly? Even if the brothers do what she wants, the sister will still meet an early demise? Temporary doesn't necessarily mean she can keep the illness away forever right? :/
Old 2011-07-08, 02:20   Link #197
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

In memoriam ...

Farewell Tomoko-san, Welcome back Himari ...

Wow, this is the second time I see the episode, and I already find myself falling in love with the episode again. Every bit of it was unique, the transitions between each scene were unusual, but it never felt like it was out of place. Everything came together as one.

An experience. That's really the only way to describe it so far. There was a whole lot of symbolism, as expected, but at the moment, it's hard to figure what it means without another episode to help us along the way (or rather, myself. I'm sure some of my other fellow viewers are already attempting to dissect the episode, with the varying degrees of success I'd wager ) But needless to say, this has left on me an impression. I remember everyone who had appeared, thanks not only to the cleaver directing (the scene where Sho was going back home and got assaulted by the faceless classmate was a fine example of how to highlight an important future character) to the script (boy, an honest to god mystery author is working here ... this is going to be tricky) and the visuals (Hishino Lily's designs are simply fantastic).

I have no clue what to add, not from the lack of what the episode had to offer, but because I have no idea where to start and where to finish. The series of the year is here. 23 more of this? Yes please.

Also one more thing, the opening. In a season where I find myself going gaga at 3 openings, this one came in and one out by a mile. Even though some parts remind me of Heartcatch for some reason (lol? the magical girl influence is still there, even after 15 years of nothing but OP storyboarding and random Novel work ) it is simply the most unique OP this by far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
On to Mawaru Penguin Drum... Wow! That was excellent! I was completely hooked by the time the penguin showed up with the transit pass. The sheer awesome in this episode allays my fears that Ikuhara's creative juices had been dried up since Utena. The unique little touches that he put in his shows are sorely missed, and I'm awful happy that they're back again.
I got hooked on the visuals by the time they were all on the train and we got the first look into the transitions. Though to be fair, the show had my attention since second 1 thanks to Yukari Hashimoto badarse score.

Ikuhara, a man who need to take a break every 15 years other wise he'd make everyone look bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura89 View Post
I'd love too see a picture of him dressing as Sailor Mars
Spoiler for Not the Sailor Mars costume, but this is what he usually looked like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
This was everything I expected from Ikuhara.

By the end, when Kanba was talking about fate and loving despite DNA I could already see what he was going to do. Now, all we need is for the other brother to be in love with him. Then the other girl could fall for Himari.

Oh hell... FUCK YES!
The way I took it was the Himari liked Sho more, so at the moment it looks like it's going to be triangle at least within the siblings, with the other girl being added in as either the love interest of Sho and Himari.

Fuck yes indeed
Old 2011-07-08, 02:20   Link #198
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Believe it or not, this reminded me a little of Oh! Edo Rocket - that sense on manic insanity, a melding of different styles and genres and wildly creative. It it turns out half as good I'll be thrilled.

Very, very creative and interesting mess of a premiere. Style dripping from every pore. Ikuhara is a true genius, and notoriously difficult and unstable too - this could be a masterpiece or a fascinating disaster before it's done.
Old 2011-07-08, 02:33   Link #199
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Oh, ye of little faith ... wait a minute ...

I once did share the same sort of prediction you just made with another series this year Enzo, but I don't think that this is going to fail. Not by a long shot.

Call me unrealistically optimistic, but at the moment there is not a doubt in my mind that not only is this going to be a glorious experience, but is going to ride on to be the most remembered anime of the year. There is the possibility that it's going to fall under it's own weight, but no matter how many times I try to process that thought, it just doesn't get through.

I'm hoping I don't end up eating these words Prove me right Ikuhara!
Old 2011-07-08, 02:35   Link #200
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'm hoping I don't end up eating these words Prove me right Ikuhara!
I certainly hope he does, such a fascinating first episode.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism