Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-09-19, 18:36   Link #1
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Wireless N Router compatible with full version of DD-WRT

I am in need for another router since I'm changing my service from the ancient and slow 1.5 mbps down/384 kbps up Verizon DSL connection to a 15 mbps down/2 mbps up cable connection (Optimum Online), which don't have any bandwidth caps of some sort. Since the cable modem needs to be downstairs since we can only have cable downstairs since it needs special wiring to the house to Ethernet cable to the router and we don't want to place them downstairs and Wireless G bridges cost too much for the same price for a new router.

I need a router that is will be able to use the full DD-WRT firmware which work on Wireless N. I need Wireless N since the Wireless G speeds don't cut it for cable connections and will make the internet connection slower because of the transfer rates come with Wireless G. My sister's Macbook Pro, My 2008 and 2006 Macbook Pro and my mothers Dell XPS laptop come with Wireless N networking.

I don't want any Linksys, Belkin or D-Link products since they are highly unreliable. I'm currently looking at a Apple Airport Express Base Station that costs $99 since we don't need more than 10 clients connecting to the internet since there it's just me, my sister and mom connecting to the Wireless and my and my sister's Applecare Warranty covers the device for 2-3 years since Apple allows you to service the products if you use it with your Apple computer. However, I'm open to other options to since the Airport Express is missing some features on the DD-WRT Firmware (like bandwidth monitoring).

Any suggestions?
Old 2009-09-19, 22:50   Link #2
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Here is a list :

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Honestly speaking, I have no idea what has made that firmware so popular amongst "geeks", because I have never used it more than a few hours. I run on a 2wire service instead (and it totally sucks).

I would say you should follow the "poor man" way of buying such stuff, find out all the prices, make a list, then post your choices here. But funnily enough, you are trying to run something that is initially made for Linksys routers.

P.S Linksys isn't that bad. It has got pretty strong signal. Unless you want to run a Mio Box.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 08:00   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I need Wireless N since the Wireless G speeds don't cut it for cable connections and will make the internet connection slower because of the transfer rates come with Wireless G.
Just a reminder that 802.11g is many times faster than the speed of your external connection. I have a FiOS connection with 20 MBit downstream; that's less than half the 54 Mbit speed of 802.11g. I can routinely hit 2+ Mbyte/sec (16 Mbit) speeds on well-seeded torrents.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 08:22   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Just a reminder that 802.11g is many times faster than the speed of your external connection. I have a FiOS connection with 20 MBit downstream; that's less than half the 54 Mbit speed of 802.11g. I can routinely hit 2+ Mbyte/sec (16 Mbit) speeds on well-seeded torrents.
It's true that I will never hit those speeds unless I get Optimum Boost 30/5 or Ultra 108/15 which is unnecessary for my use since I'm not hosting a server (and remember, this is my only choice for faster internet since Verizon doesn't care about putting FiOS in my neighborhood and never will, even if our neighborhood is a middle class/upper middle class). However, I do think Wireless N can help since the range sucks and the 5GHz range can help with the interference issue and I transfer files from computer to computer (and both have Wireless N cards which can't be used on a Wireless G network) and it's painfully slow on Wireless G since Wireless G transfer rates depend on your signal and the house is old which can affect the signal strength.

Theoretically, Wireless N speeds supposed to have speeds up to 100 mbps Ethernet, so in a sense, it should be fast as ethernet.
Old 2009-09-23, 20:10   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

If price weren't a concern and I wanted a wireless N router, I'd get the D-Link DGL 4500. I have the DGL-4300 and it is amazing. I've purchased four or five different routers at this point, and the DGL-4300 was far and above superior to the rest of them. It didn't choke on torrents, it didn't require reboots (period), and the controls were sufficiently advanced.

Admittedly I've never used the DD-WRT firmware, so I can't compare it with the D-Link DGL firmware (which is a bit fancier than their standard router firmware, it seems)
Old 2009-09-23, 20:34   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I forgot to mention that I don't really need a router right now since my mom is planning on doing the Triple Play Package so that the cable modem doesn't have to be downstairs... If it happens, then I'll just wait until Wireless N certification finalizes so I don't have a obsolete product.