AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

View Poll Results: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 25 34.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 28.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 28.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.37%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-23, 14:24   Link #101
mtgowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Animes that end up using any Christian iconography either end up looking a bit stupid or people claim they're being pretentious. It's probably just best to keep it a bit more agnostic on the point.

It was a smart choice on the production end.
I find the choice very disappointing. The school ends up being just like any other in Japan, except there are nuns and a church. It feels as if they had an interesting idea to run with but gave up.
Old 2013-03-23, 19:17   Link #102
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Time to face reality you wuss
Old 2013-03-23, 20:59   Link #103
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Since when was Rika to goddamn adorable?
Rika was always adorable. You were just too busy staring at Sena's chest.
Old 2013-03-23, 23:06   Link #104
richardtengcy

I just finish reading the light novel volume 8 in the chinese sites and i gonna say the 2nd half for next week last episode is gonna be awesome!

I also know why Rika did the audio recording when Kodaka is reading the BL in the infirmary. Not going to spoil everyone on this.
Old 2013-03-24, 00:05   Link #105
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Can't even lie...I saw Kodaka run out that bitch, and I laughed SOOOO damn hard. My mans didn't want none of that, and got the hell out of dodge.

Anyway, decent episode. Though I'm kind of shocked about some people's responses about the Yusa part. If anything, this part showed how Yozora and Sena can really be some evil bitches, they definitely deserve to be in this club lol. Sena was too much with the "I'm rich and you're all worthless" card, she can be just as turrible as Yozora.

Anyway, the main topic of discussion, the Kodaka bail out. Can't blame the guy, you don't confess to a guy in front of the rest of the girls who also like him, and expect an answer off the fly like that. It took her a while before she even realized what she did. But even then, what was he suppose to say? He was literally surrounded in a room of potential landmines. Sena needs to do something like that in private.

Anyway, one more episode, almost 100% sure this won't get resolved in this season, or he might just go and friendzone all of them...actually, I can see that happening. Though my senses tell me majority of people hating on Kodaka are Sena fans, of course you want him to choose right now lol.
Old 2013-03-24, 00:24   Link #106
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

The Nile is so widespread, so many people still thinking Kodaka wants to protect the club (by abandoning it) or that running with his tail between his legs is some kind of statement about Sena.
Old 2013-03-24, 01:05   Link #107
JamJackEvo

^ Agreed.

The hawk just has issues and is afraid of change. The next episode will probably dive more into his reasons for retreating and give the series a satisfying conclusion. That, or they'll do an OreImo thing and expand the anime with a 3-episode Good End Route (wishful thinking, yes, but a guy can dream, can't he?).
Old 2013-03-24, 05:08   Link #108
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Taking Sena's character into consideration she will probably neither give up (well she is a bit annoyed and upset atm probably) nor stop working towards her goal.
And tbh she is also the most likely in the vclub who could archieve it, due to the fact that Yozora lives in the past and just wants to be friends like back then

People from outside the club like Kate (Unlikely though since Catholic nun) or the Student council president are a different story though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
or that running with his tail between his legs is some kind of statement about Sena.
I'm not really look at the characters here, because in my opinion it's kinda pointless to try and predict future events based on how the characters might act. The characters can easily change depending on the author's wishes. Case in point, nobody expected Sena to confess and the only explanation the story decided to give us is that she "came to this conclusion" at some point or another. Another example, is how Rika's character has changed so drastically this season to what she originally was. She used to just be there to give lewd sex jokes and outrageous "universe" scenes and people disliked her for it, but now they love her now that the story decided Rika was the type to get Kodaka's attention in romantic ways and get frustrated when he doesn't pay attention.

I'm trying to look at storyline cues (if there are any) and base my predictions on the meta concepts. As far as I can see, the confession wasn't being treated by the story as an actual romantic development but was being used as a device for a larger plot point. If it really was a romantic development, then you would've thought the focus of that scene would've been what Sena thought of Kodaka and what Kodaka thought of her. Instead the scene came across as more what the confession meant to Kodaka and the Neighbourhood club as a whole. That doesn't strike me as a serious attempt on developing the SenaxKodaka ship.
Old 2013-03-24, 08:27   Link #109
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

I agree with the point about looking at meta concepts such as momentum and trends in predicting future events. I would even argue that the author himself doesn't know for sure how the story is going to turn out - he might have a general plan of some sort, but it is by no means set in stone - as shown from some of the comments in the author's notes about how certain elements of the story were unexpected even to him.

My interpretation of the confession was that the author needed a big event to shake up the Neighbours' Club as a lead in to the next part of the story. It didn't have to be a confession, it could have been someone quitting the club or moving away, or even a major conflict that causes a huge rift between the members, but the author chose to have a confession because it was the option with the highest commercial value. The same thing appears to have happened in OreImo, with a certain someone's confession and short dating stint as a way to take advantage of her large fanbase.

It seems clear to me as well that both series have structured their respective events in such a way such that big shipteases coincide with the schedules of their corresponding anime.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Old 2013-03-24, 10:12   Link #110
mironicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
I agree with the point about looking at meta concepts such as momentum and trends in predicting future events. I would even argue that the author himself doesn't know for sure how the story is going to turn out - he might have a general plan of some sort, but it is by no means set in stone - as shown from some of the comments in the author's notes about how certain elements of the story were unexpected even to him.
Which comments? Could you quote them?
Old 2013-03-24, 13:01   Link #111
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Sigh.

All the Kodaka hate.

Look, Kodaka's reaction was not the best way to handle it, but frankly Sena really acted inappropriately too.

You just don't propose marriage in a public setting without first knowing the answer. As a man you ought to know that, it would put the woman in an impossible position if she wants to say no. It could be considered manipulative. Not that I think Sena is being manipulative, she's just rushing forward, oblivious to social norms as usual.

You especially don't do something like this in front of your romantic rival- at least not if you want her to be your best friend, which Sena obviously does. This is a love triangle, not just with Sena and Yozora fighting over Kodaka, but also having a friendship as well- and this just blew a huge hole in it- and after all the progress this episode. This has to be Yozora's nightmare ever since Sena joined the club.

Sena put Kodaka in a situation where there was no right answer only a least wrong answer. Which, assuming that Kodaka is not really interested in romance right now, would probably be to to say something along the lines that he's still in highschool and way to young to think about marriage, and that he really doesn't want to have a girlfriend, but that he does really enjoy Sena's company as a friend and he would like to continue being friends. Sort of leaving open the door to the possibility of something later.

Still would have hurt Sena something awful. Running away was also hurtful, but not that much worse then the best option.

Compare this to the Rika situation, where she approached Kodaka alone, and thus allowed him to clumsily let her down sort of gently. Mainly because Rika did the hard work of reading between the lines, but still- Rika handled it very well which prevented it from becoming a disaster despite Kodaka's less then stellar handling. Sena is even clumsier than Kodaka.

As for Aoi, I thought it obvious that she was really just trying to force Sena to acknowledge her, and she didn't really care about shutting down the club. Too bad Sena isn't "clever" like Yozora and finally just brutalized Aoi out of the way. Although I guess she did move up from "who are you?" to "stop pissing on my flower garden you stupid dog."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgowns View Post
I find the choice very disappointing. The school ends up being just like any other in Japan, except there are nuns and a church. It feels as if they had an interesting idea to run with but gave up.
Most likely the author was simply aware that Catholic schools exist and thought it'd be a fun back drop, and a way to introduce the "nun fetish" with a nun as a romantic interest. Japanese tend to have a really hard time grasping the fact that Catholic nuns are celibate for life and look like this and are not mikos like this. There is a reason tvtropes has a trope called Nuns Are Mikos.

To quote from it:

Quote:
Instead of the Western role of the nun as a cloistered celibate religious figure, the nun in this role will often be a nun as a part-time after-school job, or only until she marries and not take a vow of celibacy, poverty or obedience.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2013-03-24 at 13:15.
Old 2013-03-24, 13:17   Link #112
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
As for Aoi, I thought it obvious that she was really just trying to force Sena to acknowledge her, and she didn't really care about shutting down the club. Too bad Sena isn't "clever" like Yozora and finally just brutalized Aoi out of the way. Although I guess she did move up from "who are you?" to "stop pissing on my flower garden you stupid dog."
There is the implication that Sena wanted Aoi to fight back her "threats" and stand up against her; in other words Sena might holds hopes of having a "Yozora-like" relationship with more than one girl (which also hints that she values their bickering to a good degree (aka friends)).
Old 2013-03-24, 13:25   Link #113
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Sigh.

All the Kodaka hate.
Exactly what I saw in the last 2-3 Episodes Discussion/Poll threads.
I personally love that guy for what he does.
He is not perfect alright, but he is good and I have full respect towards the character, although it is imaginary.
Old 2013-03-24, 15:56   Link #114
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tr View Post
Exactly what I saw in the last 2-3 Episodes Discussion/Poll threads.
I personally love that guy for what he does.
He is not perfect alright, but he is good and I have full respect towards the character, although it is imaginary.
Ditto, same for me. It's just crazy that for all the cries we get for a non dense and intelligent harem MC, we get something close to that, one who acts realistic and logically, and people flip out.

No, just picking one girl and casting aside a good friendship with multiple people just to get some ass is not realistic people. Wait, for a person with common sense, that isn't realisitc. But for someone just trying to get some ass, that's very realistic lol.
Old 2013-03-24, 17:19   Link #115
askara

hmmm i hope this turn out ok and they go back to normal at least for a few volume, this is suppose to be light hearted comedy not drama crap. cause i can see no way this could end well no matter what Kodaka do or choose. the only ending i can see is an open ending where everyone declare their love and rivalry.
Old 2013-03-24, 17:39   Link #116
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
Which comments? Could you quote them?
I referred to a small portion of the Author's Notes from volume 8 of the light novel in the other thread

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...15#post4593815

The author said that that character turned out to be more important than he originally envisioned, which I infer to mean that the particular plot point he was involved in was actually unplanned and could have been a way to plug a few holes caused by the detour in an earlier part of the story.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Old 2013-03-24, 17:57   Link #117
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
No, just picking one girl and casting aside a good friendship with multiple people just to get some ass is not realistic people. Wait, for a person with common sense, that isn't realisitc. But for someone just trying to get some ass, that's very realistic lol.
Personally, I think if these 'friends' of mine become distant to me just because I happen to have a girlfriend, then they're not really my friends.

It's about priorities, not whether it's realistic or not.

Of course, I give leeways to the female characters in this anime because they are all love rivals.
Old 2013-03-24, 19:04   Link #118
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Ditto, same for me. It's just crazy that for all the cries we get for a non dense and intelligent harem MC, we get something close to that, one who acts realistic and logically, and people flip out.
It's simply because both the denseness of the typical male harem lead and Kodaka's traits that set him aside said typical male harem lead are two unlikable traits. You can't blame people in not liking Kodaka's approach to the problem.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-03-24, 19:50   Link #119
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
It's simply because both the denseness of the typical male harem lead and Kodaka's traits that set him aside said typical male harem lead are two unlikable traits. You can't blame people in not liking Kodaka's approach to the problem.
I don't exactly see any approach that makes him "likable" unless he chooses a girl, and I'm fairly certain these are people who are rooting for a certain girl anyway. So he can't win.
Old 2013-03-24, 21:02   Link #120
finalfury
Incognito

He could have asked for time to make a decision. If a certain character from another series I love can do that, why can't Kodaka?
P.S.
That character is an idiot and I can't say his name cause of spoiler issues.