AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-27, 20:24   Link #61
Shin_Battousai

Back when My HiME was on air, i remember reading on these forums where someone mentioned that the original creator(s) wanted it to be called My HiME and then somewhere along the way, someone(probably some high level staff member) made it Mai instead of My. Whoever said that said something like that anyway, at least i'm pretty certain that the member said that My HiME was the intended title by the original creator(s).
Old 2006-01-30, 09:23   Link #62
xat
*Fansubber

Since I'm bored, and it seems I'm not the only one tempted to do this, I'll take you through the changes Doremi has made in regards to Otome since its debut. Unfortunately, I ony started following Doremi at episode 4, so I *probably* missed stuff. The amount of changes that have taken place since then is fascinating, with staff changes seemingly being most paramount to Doremi's recent quality boosts. Enjoy the ride

[Doremi-Otome 04]
-Four, count them, *four* on the crew for Otome. By this time, Otome already had OP karaoke, however as of episode 4 it was still in a rather unrefined state. Future iterations would introduce line spacing and size adjustments. Note that the staff listing and logo typesetting are as they have been up till episode 16.
-"Galdelupe" and related jargon would see a translation change later on; Doremi kindly informs us of these changes upon the start of the OP.
-This one surprised me, the ED karaoke was significantly different than its future iterations. Much more stylized, maybe so much so that it would have to end up changing.

[Doremi-Otome 05]
-The second iteration ED karaoke (since episode 4 anyway)

[Doremi-Otome 06]
-Minor note, my episode 6 didn't come with a crc @_@. Not sure if it's just me or something that is widespread, so I noted this anyway
-Terminology change, these are relatively common so I suppose they're not necessarily noteworthy
-Holy crap! Staff boost to 5 members and two assistant QCers for a total of 7.
-Can't really be seen/heard out of context; minor interpretation bug-she's saying the past tense conjugate of cute but the translation is in present tense. These things are considerably minimalized in future episodes.
-"Sir"! So that's where it came from This term would later be kept in a transliterated instead of translated state. Oji-sama!

[Doremi-Otome 07]
-Here it is, the DLQCT (Doremi Leecher Quality Check Team). I regard this as *the* most important change to Doremi's staff setup. The idea behind the DLQCT is simple. It's a channel anyone can join, where the script is distributed before final encode for quality checking. Simply put, it's an *open* quality checking team. Granted, there's the danger that turn out may be poor, but the DLQCT hasn't failed us yet. <bias>This is also perhaps one of the huge qualities to Doremi; I can't name another group that has an open QC team </bias>
-Raw provider position added to the staff list

[Doremi-Otome 08]
-Another major staff listing adjustment, as of episode 8 the distro crew is also credited. Additionally, so is the tracker provider. Go Doremi!
-Those who saw the OP will probably have noticed this interesting error. I'm not sure what happened there, but it definitely never happened again

[Doremi-Otome 09]
-The DLQCT grows! Resultedly, so does the quality of each release

[Doremi-Otome 10]
-Minor staff adjustment (me!); I wasn't actually part of Doremi at that time. I only donated a replacement ED karaoke (noted later).
-The ED karaoke as it is up to now. This was my first contribution thanks to Alfarin.

[Doremi-Otome 11-12]
-Staff shifting would from here on be very minor. From episode 11 onwards, Doremi would be leaving its 1-pass xvid encodes in favor of 2-pass, with me as the encoder.
-Starks is credited as raw provider from episode 12 onwards.

[Doremi-Otome 13]
-Minor change which would later be met with consistency, episode 13 was given an artificial CRC of [13131313]. The funny thing about this was that, had we waiting another week, we could have released this on January, Friday the 13th How fun would that be, episode 13 [13131313] on Friday the 13th :P

[Doremi-Otome 14]
-Doremi gradually moves into minor detail additions, beginning with typesetted episode titles
-This episode would be the last time I encode from our usual raw source. That raw source would remain the DLQCT and timing raw, but the actual source for encoding would be different and of significantly higher quality

[Doremi-Otome 15]
-Episode 15 marks the switch from one raw source to another, and it really shows. I don't have screen caps but it's worth comparing episode 15 to say, episode 14 :P

[Doremi-Otome 16]
-Maceart wanted typesetted credits, and so that's what I gave him This episode presented an entirely new OP, and so bd_ (translating, QCing) and I (timing, styling) were left with the task of creating the new OP karaoke. We still made our deadline for a Saturday release ^_~
--Noteworthy things would include a translated and typesetted "Mai-Otome" title; the labels are now more in faith with the actual logo, animating and transforming frame for frame nearly the same way as the real thing does.
--The OP karaoke lacked kanji and related characters for this episode, since I forgot to make an automation script for it. That'll come next week; doh!
--The effect was not to be too flashy; in fact, it was meant to resemble the original OP highlighting effect. Clearly, I failed :P
-The only unchanged characteristic to Doremi is the actual subtitle font style. It has remained the same since episode 1, and I'm not sure it will change any time soon. The #DLQCT/#doremi-distro credits will certain see a style change for episode 17, to fit the styling of the new OP credits.

I haven't been with the team for very long, so if anyone from Doremi has anything else to add, feel free to do so.

Last edited by xat; 2006-01-30 at 10:54.
Old 2006-01-30, 09:33   Link #63
bdonlan
Lazy translator
*Fansubber

To be fair, DLQCT is somewhat less open now - there's a channel key, but anyone interested can get in by asking one of the #doremi ops :)
Old 2006-01-30, 17:36   Link #64
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

and I thought I got bored easily 0-o
Old 2006-01-30, 17:57   Link #65
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Mm.. I'm not too fond of Doremi's editing. Sometimes it feels that the grammar follows the original Japanese too closely when things would be worded differently in English. I'm a little bleh on the video quality, but it's prolly understandable for new groups. The good parts have been touched on by other posters. Well, here's to hoping Doremi keeps improving .
Old 2006-01-30, 18:05   Link #66
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
I re-state my main gripe with Doremi's translations... "Shibaratsu."

Not only have various Japanese sources spelled either シュヴァルツ (Shyuvarutsu) or シュバルツ (Shyubarutsu), both of which are correct transliterations of the German "Schwartz" into katakana, but when ever this "Shibaratsu" is mentioned in an episode, it sounds phonetically more like "Shubalutsu" than "Shibaratsu".
Old 2006-01-30, 20:04   Link #67
Juju
n00bsicle et ULTIMA

You know....I never had a problem with DOREMI's file (playing wise) till 16 - it just would not work ^^;

(trying to redownload it again)

I digress - I don't mind DOREMI's work, they've improved steadily with each passing eps. I apprecite the work by both groups. So long as I can watch and understand....that is my thinking
Old 2006-01-30, 20:38   Link #68
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
All you need is Xvid! If you downloaded off direct download, resume by BT. And the reason to keying up #DLQCT was because people started to completely rape the FTP set up. That's a big no-no.

Thank you all for supporting us, if you find our work completely despicable, feel free to get Static's. Heck, even I get Static's.
Old 2006-01-30, 20:51   Link #69
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman
All you need is Xvid! If you downloaded off direct download, resume by BT. And the reason to keying up #DLQCT was because people started to completely rape the FTP set up. That's a big no-no.

Thank you all for supporting us, if you find our work completely despicable, feel free to get Static's. Heck, even I get Static's.
Screw Xvid... CCCP all the way.
Old 2006-01-30, 23:07   Link #70
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
Screw Xvid... CCCP all the way.
Some problems with CCCP though....if I install it, some of my older vids have video problems(squarish video scenes), yet if I dont install it, the newer vids would have the same problem...

The irony!
Old 2006-01-31, 05:31   Link #71
Anime Adoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman
I get both, and appreciate both group's work.

I'd bet that about anybody who is so obsessed with this series that he cares about reading this fansub thread gets both.
Old 2006-01-31, 08:50   Link #72
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
I still go with Doremi, don't know why..
something like "I began it and I'll end it with 'em" ..yea.
By the way.. for "Shibaratsu", if it's the german word, then it's "Schwarz", not "Schwartz". But never mind me, haha.
Old 2006-01-31, 19:01   Link #73
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Some problems with CCCP though....if I install it, some of my older vids have video problems(squarish video scenes), yet if I dont install it, the newer vids would have the same problem...

The irony!
Make sure you use CCCP Insurgent to detect and remove conflicting codecs.
Old 2006-02-07, 22:12   Link #74
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Btw, for those of you who didn't follow SS's version, I strongly suggest that you guys watch them, even if you end up keeping Doremi's version anyway.

SS's translations differs in major ways on some of the more plot based lines compared to Doremi's.
Though I can't vouch on who's translations are more accurate, you can at least get a different POV, and then make your own judgement on who makes more sense.

As an example, Nao's lines throughout ep. 15, as well as Sergay's lines when he "doused" Arika, and even Nagi's order are much "meaner/crueler" in SS's version.
Old 2006-02-08, 02:34   Link #75
Mirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon
Btw, for those of you who didn't follow SS's version, I strongly suggest that you guys watch them, even if you end up keeping Doremi's version anyway.

SS's translations differs in major ways on some of the more plot based lines compared to Doremi's.
Though I can't vouch on who's translations are more accurate, you can at least get a different POV, and then make your own judgement on who makes more sense.

As an example, Nao's lines throughout ep. 15, as well as Sergay's lines when he "doused" Arika, and even Nagi's order are much "meaner/crueler" in SS's version.
I don't want to be a smartass, but the thing is that you can't really translate japanese to english, it's more of a interpretation.

-Topic
Best thing is to know japanese and watch the eps raw or with subs for fun/personal comparsion.

I think other than this I go with the majority. Either Doremi or Static. Both do a rather fine job, Static just tends to be slow.
Old 2006-02-08, 02:59   Link #76
Hideki Keiji

I will continue to prefer SS over Doremi for as long as the latter continues to use 'Mai-battle'. I simply cannot stand it.
Old 2006-02-08, 12:22   Link #77
KiraDouji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtual
I don't want to be a smartass, but the thing is that you can't really translate japanese to english, it's more of a interpretation.
I think that was their point. They were saying that it's worth it to grab the other sub if you don't know Japanese because just one translation isn't necessarily fully accurate. A lot of Japanese words have extra meanings and associations that can effectively translate to multiple words in English, thus reading only one translation doesn't always supply the full meaning of the word/sentence. So, effectively, you're both on the same page, except one suggestion is for those who don't know Japanese, while the other is simply to learn it, or if you know it, watch the raw.

- Kira
Old 2006-02-08, 21:25   Link #78
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
Goodness, not Mai-Battle again. I have had to rescind every one of my assumptions. I shall not let go of Mai-Battle! Ha!
Old 2006-02-08, 22:44   Link #79
Hideki Keiji

But it's so out of place, not to mention being an awful mix of Japanese and English. I generally prefer words to be one language or the other.
Old 2006-02-08, 23:14   Link #80
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki Keiji
But it's so out of place, not to mention being an awful mix of Japanese and English. I generally prefer words to be one language or the other.
Well, the translator himself has said that it's his personal preference, so I suggest you give it a rest and stick with SS.

To be honest though, I was also disturbed by that term when I first saw it.
Especially since I didn't hear the word "mai" being spoken during any of the lines where "Mai-battle" appeared.
Closed Thread