AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-03, 05:59   Link #8041
killer3000ad

230 dead in Congo after tanker flips over and explodes

Some of the poor folk were killed as they were watching Netherlands vs Brazil in a nearby cafe.
Old 2010-07-03, 06:38   Link #8042
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Daughter sues father for tuition money

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-edu...uing_education

WTF? How sad.
I would like to do the same! Had to borrow money from the bank to pay for my damn school fees because my dad had extramarital affairs.

I applaud the girl for her guts.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-07-03, 13:32   Link #8043
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
When oil began to spill from the overturned tanker, local residents attempted to collect the oil. One was smoking a cigarette, causing the tanker to explode, Omalanga said.
...what the bloody hell?
Old 2010-07-03, 17:47   Link #8044
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...what the bloody hell?
This is why all new keyboards should come with a :face palm: button.

Generally, I think people should be allowed to do what they want with their own bodies, but there are times when it just makes sense to put the damned cigarette out.

Not completely related, but if you haven't seen the smoking baby: CBS News Exclusive: The Indonesian smoking baby video was an Internet sensation that left many in disbelief. CBS News cameras found the boy in a small fishing village with a lit cigarette in hand.
Old 2010-07-04, 05:31   Link #8045
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Apple says iPhones overstate signal strength

Quote:
(Reuters) - Apple Inc came clean on Friday about an embarrassing software glitch that overstates network signal strength in its hot-selling iPhone, as complaints mounted about the phone's wraparound antenna.

Apple admitted its signal strength miscalculation dates back to its original 2007 iPhone. It promised to fix the glitch in a few weeks, but did not directly address concerns that its antenna design causes reception problems for iPhone 4, its newest phone.

Apple's apology -- a relative rarity from the company known for its marketing savvy -- marked the third time in less than three weeks it had to apologize to customers of iPhone 4.

"Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong," Apple said in an open letter to customers published on Friday.

Since the iPhone 4 hit stores on June 24, consumers have complained about cellphone reception problems when they hold the phone in a certain way. Even while just standing in one place, a rapid decline in the number of signal bars can be observed depending on how the phone is gripped.

Apple has already been sued by iPhone customers in at least three complaints related to antenna problems on the iPhone 4.

Rival Motorola Inc has made a thinly veiled dig at the iPhone's problems. In ads for its Droid X phone, Motorola promised users can "hold the phone any way they like."

Apple said that "gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars." It said this problem is not limited to iPhone, but also plagues phones from Nokia and Research In Motion Ltd, as well as phones with Google Inc Android software.

But Apple conceded iPhone 4 consumers complained of a far bigger than normal drop in signal bars.

The iPhone 4's antenna is an unusual design in that it circles the entire perimeter of the device. Phone makers typically try to place the antenna in places the user is less likely to touch in order to make a call.

But with iPhone 4, unless you put a insulating cover around the antenna, the design seems to make it difficult to avoid touching it and unwittingly degrading reception by absorbing electromagnetic waves that carry phone calls, analysts say.

Kenneth Dulaney, a long-time cellphone analyst suggested that Apple's notoriously strict control of information ahead of its product launches may have hurt the ability of its engineers to test the device in as many situations as possible.

"It could be that some of Apple's secrecy could be reducing the number of test cases they expose the device to, therefore some of these problems show," said Dulaney.

As a result of user complaints, Apple said it will update its software to in coming weeks using a formula recommended by AT&T Inc, the exclusive U.S. provider for iPhone.

This should give users a more accurate display of signal strength at any given time, the company said.

Apple said that, when users noticed a dramatic drop in the number of signal strength bars on their phone's display, it was likely due to weak network coverage in that area.

"Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars," Apple said.

AT&T deferred questions about the letter to Apple. It declined comment on any implication that its network performance, which has faced a lot of criticism, could be even worse than users thought.

Apple has already apologized for website delays when it started online iPhone 4 pre-orders June 15. It then apologized for store shortages after the device hit shelves.

Despite the complaints Apple says iPhone 4 is its most successful phone launch ever, with sales of 1.7 million by the end of June 26.

Apple analysts said the popularity of the record-selling device will likely not be hurt by the technology problem.

"The demand is so far past what they're able to supply right now, the impact would have to be massive to hurt sales numbers," said Pacific Crest analyst Andy Hargreaves, who does not see consumers being upset enough about the phone's problems to decide against buying the device.

Another analyst, Ashok Kumar of Rodman & Renshaw, said consumers may be forgiving since Apple is "pushing the technology envelope" with a new antenna design.

Apple shares closed off 0.6 percent at $246.94 on Nasdaq and AT&T shares fell 0.2 percent to $24.29 on New York Stock Exchange. AT&T rival Verizon Wireless is widely expected to be added to Apple's iPhone distribution in 2011.

Also on the NYSE, the shares of Verizon Communications Inc -- the majority owner of Verizon Wireless -- rose 2 percent. Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group Plc.
AHAHAHAHAHA......AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Couldn't resist laughing at Motorola's PR stunt to debunk the IPhone.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-07-04, 06:09   Link #8046
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Actually that whole IPhone SW/HW "Bug" smells in multiple ways...

1) Allowing direct human contact with the antenna, means to expand the antenna in length, since the users hand/arm will extend the antenna. If it was at least insulated by a thin layer of e.g. lacquer, the antenna would not be extended so much beyond the needed Lambda/2 length of the antenna to secure maximum signal strength. I did not even study communications related stuff at university but at least know this much. What were the designers thinking? (Or maybe only about the design, and technicians are not allowed, because they always ruin the great design).

2) Such a Software Bug is possible, but I have my doubts, since the mutual benefits of carrier and device manufacturer are just too obvious to believe that is just a coincidence (it still might be).

I mean... the Bug essentially tells the consumer the signal is always good, except when it is realy bad (so bad that not even the basic stuff works). This makes the consumer believe A) the IPhone is above average B) the carrier has superb area coverage. This would not feel so designed, if Apple did not have those exclusivity contracts with the carriers. This basically ensures that there is hardly any direct comparison between carriers using the same hardware (IPhone) (there are few exceptions of hacked phones, but this will not trigger enough momentum for implications).

Last edited by Jinto; 2010-07-04 at 06:20.
Old 2010-07-04, 06:32   Link #8047
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Actually that whole IPhone SW/HW "Bug" smells in multiple ways...

1) Allowing direct human contact with the antenna, means to expand the antenna in length, since the users hand/arm will extend the antenna. If it was at least insulated by a thin layer of e.g. lacquer, the antenna would not be extended so much beyond the needed Lambda/2 length of the antenna to secure maximum signal strength. I did not even study communications related stuff at university but at least know this much. What were the designers thinking? (Or maybe only about the design, and technicians are not allowed, because they always ruin the great design).
I know nothing of communications, however I do understand from simple Physics that the internal resistance of the wire can modulate the electrical output to give out and capture the desired electrical frequency.

Maybe they wanted to save on putting a custom internal resistor before the antenna, which might cost more than the length of metal which offers the same amount of resistance.

Quote:
2) Such a Software Bug is possible, but I have my doubts, since the mutual benefits of carrier and device manufacturer are just too obvious to believe that is just a coincidence (it still might be).

I mean... the Bug essentially tells the consumer the signal is always good, except when it is realy bad (so bad that not even the basic stuff works). This makes the consumer believe A) the IPhone is above average B) the carrier has superb area cover. This would not feel so designed, if Apple did not have those exclusivity contracts with the carriers. This basically ensures that there is hardly any direct comparison between carriers using the same hardware (IPhone) possible (there are few exceptions of hacked phones, but this will not trigger enough momentum for implications).
The signal strength miscalculation, given by how fast the signal indicator drops, could be due to an algorithm fault, like having an extra exponential or multiplier (denoted by x in this case) where x>1.

Since the communications functionality is run exclusively by AT&T, it made me suspect that AT&T is trying to leech more money from Apple from the after-sales profit by implementing such a software bug, then make Apple pay for a fix.

Old 2010-07-07, 03:49   Link #8048
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Ah yeah, today is 7/7.
Seems almost strange that there wasn't a thread made back in 2005 when this occured, although perhaps it dominated the news thread back then.
Then again, the anniversaries pass away quietly and privately usually I've noticed (save in 2006 when people were edgy and didn't really use public transport that day), but to the point at least for 2010, people are irked. :\

Anyways to my fellow Londoners and those who are in mourning, sending out a special prayer to all who has to make it through today with a heavy heart...

Quote:
Survivors and relatives will remember those killed and injured in the July 7 bombings in London on the fifth anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

The atrocities carried out by Islamic extremists on Tube trains and a bus in 2005 left 52 innocent people dead and more than 700 injured.

No official events are planned to commemorate the anniversary, although wreaths will be laid on behalf of Prime Minister David Cameron and London Mayor Boris Johnson at the Hyde Park memorial to the victims.

Many survivors and bereaved families will mark the day with private gatherings at the memorial and the sites of the four blasts.

The lack of an official ceremony has upset many of those affected by the tragedy, according to Graham Foulkes, whose 22-year-old son David was killed in the Edgware Road bombing.

Mr Foulkes said: "I am very disappointed. This was an attack against the country. This is the fifth anniversary, a significant one, but even the Mayor of London will not be present.

"I don't think any of us are saying we want this to become an annual major event, but I think on the fifth anniversary the least the Prime Minister could do is attend and lay a wreath. This was a national attack, and it's really disappointing. I know it's upset many people."

Transport for London is organising private rooms and trained support staff for bereaved relatives and survivors near the sites of the three Tube bombings.
Click link to read rest...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2010-07-07, 05:01   Link #8049
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Actress Lindsay Lohan jailed for probation violation

Hah!
Old 2010-07-07, 06:38   Link #8050
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Wouldn't that go in the Silly News section, Mr. Terrorist? Just a thought. xD
Old 2010-07-07, 09:27   Link #8051
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Japan's foreign population drops first time in 48 years
Quote:
Tokyo (July 7): The number of foreign residents in Japan fell last year for the first time in nearly half a century as a severe recession hit jobs in the car sector and other industries, according to government data.

A total of 2.186 million people were listed as foreign residents at the end of last year, down 1.4 per cent from a year earlier, ending a rising streak for the 47 consecutive years since 1962, the justice ministry said.

"We assume one of the reasons was that the global financial crisis triggered a recession", prompting companies to shed jobs, an official at the ministry's immigration bureau said.

Japan has one of the world's lowest birth rates, but it has rejected large-scale immigration of unskilled workers. Foreign residents last year made up only 1.71 per cent of Japan's total population of 127 million.

AFP
Old 2010-07-07, 10:51   Link #8052
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
0.3 percent of the foreign population was reduced due to the global financial crisis....that's a small statistic.

I once read in a newspaper report about a noticeable influx China immigrants moving to Japan due to the quality and standard of living there as compared to their homeland. Wonder if the statistic included solely the gaijins (westerners) and non-Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese/Japanese race lookalikes, or included all foreigners at all.

OTOH......

Germans shell-shocked by oracle octopus

Quote:
(Reuters) - Germany was in a state of shock on Tuesday after their "oracle octopus" Paul picked Spain to win the World Cup semi-final match against Germany in South Africa on Wednesday.

Not an ordinarily superstitious people, Germans have become believers in Paul's possible psychic powers.

"This is not a good omen," wrote Bild newspaper's online edition after the news of Paul's pick flashed across Germany.

The octopus has turned into an international celebrity after accurately picking the winner of all five German World Cup matches to date -- including their 1-0 loss to Serbia.

Two national networks interrupted their programing on Tuesday for live coverage of Paul's latest forecast, and groans of disappointment rang out across Germany after Paul went for a container with a morsel of food in it bearing the Spanish flag.

"We were all a little bit shocked when Paul picked Spain," said Tanja Munzig, a spokeswoman for Sea Life in Oberhausen. "To err is not only human -- animals can also make mistakes. Let's hope Paul got this one wrong."

The octopus, considered by some to be the most intelligent of all invertebrates, was again given the choice of picking food from two different transparent containers lowered into his tank -- one with a German flag on it and one with a Spanish.

The container Paul opens first is regarded as his pick for the match. Paul first put his tentacles around the German container before moving to his left to the Spanish box -- first opening the lid and then snatching the morsel of food inside.

Germans stunned by Paul's decision to pick Spain took consolation in the fact that Paul got one of his five picks wrong at the Euro in 2008. Oddly enough it also involved Spain: In the final Paul picked Germany over Spain. But Spain won 1-0.

It was Paul's only inaccurate pick of that tournament. He has never been wrong since and has an overall record of 9-1.

"Maybe Paul was just trying to give Spain a false sense of security," said Munzig, who said scores of journalists were at Sea Life to witness Paul's latest pick. Thousands of people have visited Sea Life to see Germany's newest celebrity.

"To be honest I'm going to have butterflies in my stomach watching the Spain match," she added. "I'm not a superstitious person but he's had an incredible winning streak so far."

Paul was born in England. He has been five for five at the World Cup. He picked Germany wins over Australia, Ghana, England and Argentina -- as well as their Group D loss to Serbia.

Media attention over Paul's picks in Germany and abroad has grown with each pick and some commentators have even wondered aloud whether his uncanny run might even be having an influence on superstitious players.

Paul's winning streak may have contributed to a growing superstition among the Germany team.

Germany coach Joachim Loew admitted he will not wash a favorite blue sweater as long as his team keeps winning. Loew said he bowed to pressure from other coaching staff and players to keep wearing the sweater for their matches.

Every time Loew wore the blue V-neck sweater Germany scored four goals. "I am not even allowed to wash it now and I think I will wear it again (against Spain)," Loew said on Monday.
That poor mollusc is going to end up on a plate pretty soon.

Old 2010-07-07, 19:09   Link #8053
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

OTOH......

Germans shell-shocked by oracle octopus

That poor mollusc is going to end up on a plate pretty soon.
Sports breed a lot of silly superstitions. Like in the NHL, players often won't shave during the playoffs because it could be bad luck. Though a lot of times it's probably a case of, "I don't really believe it, but it can't hurt"
Old 2010-07-07, 19:12   Link #8054
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Sports breed a lot of silly superstitions. Like in the NHL, players often won't shave during the playoffs because it could be bad luck. Though a lot of times it's probably a case of, "I don't really believe it, but it can't hurt"
I know that one octopus that will not be served at as an octopus cerviche tapas in Espana today. Anyway World Cup Finals are going to get a new nation to join the Pantheon of power, so GO ESPANA, beat those tulip picking, wood clog wearing, bike riding, windmill building, finger stopping dykes, Holanders.
Old 2010-07-07, 19:15   Link #8055
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
so GO ESPANA, beat those tulip picking, wood clog wearing, bike riding, windmill building, finger stopping dykes, Holanders.
Is there a problem against the Netherlands?
(Not that I am dutch, I'm just curious)
Old 2010-07-07, 19:19   Link #8056
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
Is there a problem against the Netherlands?
(Not that I am dutch, I'm just curious)
I have no personal annimosity toward the dutch, i just picked out some funny stereotypes of dutch people that are used to portray them, in all honesty I'm thrilled that if either team wins they will be the first team to bring world cups to their nations which is an amazing feat considering all the big boys (brazil, germany, argentina, france, england) and many more are out. It's exciting yet confusing because if atleast Germany was in the finals I could just root for the underdog, so I chose spain since i've studied the country quite a bit and can relate a little bit to the people of spain better.
Old 2010-07-07, 19:25   Link #8057
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
I have no personal annimosity toward the dutch, i just picked out some funny stereotypes of dutch people that are used to portray them, in all honesty I'm thrilled that if either team wins they will be the first team to bring world cups to their nations which is an amazing feat considering all the big boys (brazil, germany, argentina, france, england) and many more are out. It's exciting yet confusing because if atleast Germany was in the finals I could just root for the underdog, so I chose spain since i've studied the country quite a bit and can relate a little bit to the people of spain better.
Haha, that's what I like to hear
Then you and I are alike, both supporting our teams to bring that cup to their country

No need to be so formal though, I'm not angry or anything
You should have heard me rage about the US when us canadians were facing them in the finals of the Olympics for the last gold medal.
What a game!
Old 2010-07-07, 19:28   Link #8058
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/wo...a.html?_r=1&hp

The mother of Igor Sutyagin, a Russian scientist convicted of spying for the United States, said Wednesday that her son had been moved to Moscow from a penal colony in preparation for a possible trade involving the Russian spy suspects detained last month.
just like old times

Quote:
I know that one octopus that will not be served at as an octopus cerviche tapas in Espana today. Anyway World Cup Finals are going to get a new nation to join the Pantheon of power, so GO ESPANA, beat those tulip picking, wood clog wearing, bike riding, windmill building, finger stopping dykes, Holanders.

go dykes.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2010-07-07 at 19:38.
Old 2010-07-08, 10:43   Link #8059
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Glee challenges 30 Rock Emmy run

I like Glee but i'm still a 30 Rock fan so it's gonna be hard to root for this year.

Dates scrapped on American Idol tour in US
Old 2010-07-08, 18:37   Link #8060
Xion Valkyrie

Mehserle convicted of involuntary manslaughter:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BDOD.DTL&tsp=1
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international