AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2014-09-18, 14:41   Link #401
TheGuraGuraMan

The nose is just too much, it doesn't even fit, why are the lines for it so much bigger than for the rest of the head ? It looks like someone added it to make a joke. Wors way better with one like Alchemist's. I would be personnally way more satisfied if they could change that.

Otherwise, a comparison between casual clothes Mion Matsuri and Kizuna, since the second one is fully ready.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 14:45   Link #402
TheGuraGuraMan

"Can't wait to see Keiichi, Satoshi, and Mamoru."

You know Kei/Satoshi doesn't appear before the 5th arc and Akasaka doesn't appear before the 7th one right ? Looking at the speed they're making the first arc, I wouldn't expect to see them before one year or two.
Old 2014-09-18, 14:45   Link #403
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

The complaining won't end will it?
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 15:28   Link #404
GrAVit

I'm not exactly fond of the artist's nose drawings either, but his darker skin doesn't really bother me. I think it's more fitting, more sinister to his nature, perhaps?
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 16:19   Link #405
TheGuraGuraMan

There are no point in making him darker. More sinister ? He's not like that at all in any other version, here he just feels too "serious", the usual oishi is more a cool headed old guy. And giving him such a tight suit to show his booobs doesn't really look good either, he's not wearing a body suit.
With those corrections, I think he's okay on the other hand :
Old 2014-09-18, 17:10   Link #406
GrAVit

Well, maybe I'm just thinking of Tatarigoroshi-hen, then.
I wonder if the artist is actually going to do changes on their sprites? I hope they've heard our opinions, at least.
Old 2014-09-18, 18:19   Link #407
TheGuraGuraMan

I finished making a list of request with everything I modified, just sent it to mangagamer's and Doddler's twitters.

Old 2014-09-18, 19:05   Link #408
GrAVit

I wonder if they'll release a sprite preview that we won't have something to complain about. lol
I guess the Mion one was pretty good, aside from the hair length difference between her and Shion.

Let's hope that they listen to their community. I laughed at the Ooishi and gorilla comparison.

Anyway, the sprites aren't *that* bad, they could just use a few improvements, otherwise the artist really did a great job at it.
Old 2014-09-18, 19:06   Link #409
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

I think the intro sounds a bit arrogant and overall tone might sound a bit too harsh throughout.
But sending them some changes would be welcomed but I should not be the only one put off a little with reading...maybe it is just me.
Old 2014-09-18, 21:41   Link #410
einhorn303

I think the new sprites in general, Oishi included, are great. It makes perfect sense that Oishi should have moobs; he has a huge beer gut. And he should be built strong, too. Remember when he stood like a mountain against that smart-aleck police guy, and flipped him, in EP8?

I think all the new MG sprites are a level above the PS2/Kizuna sprites. They're much more dynamic, and less flat (though I still prefer the original Ryukishi graphics overall).
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 22:52   Link #411
GrAVit

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I think all the new MG sprites are a level above the PS2/Kizuna sprites. They're much more dynamic, and less flat (though I still prefer the original Ryukishi graphics overall).
True, they look more 3-dimensional, and really just higher quality than the sprites of the previous versions. The problems mentioned are mostly only minor details.

I guess the whole nose thing is just the artist's style. I find it hard to believe that drawing a nose could be that difficult for it to be a lack of skill. We can judge it if we want to, but I don't think you could really compare that to something like a bug or balance issue in a game, hence it's probably not considered as important.

I guess the majority are still bothered by the new sprites, and it's a good thing to inform about it, in any case. The artist might end up agreeing and doing something about it. But even if they didn't change them, it wouldn't keep bothering me too much. I'd just get used to it.
Old 2014-09-19, 02:44   Link #412
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
They're just more detailed, which can also be explained by the fact that the Alchemist release has :
- more characters sprites
- All the backgrounds remade
- CGs

Overall, the style is just different. But making it more detailed DOESN'T make it directly better at all. When looking at Alchemist sprites, I'm satisfied, but it seems like the Steam sprites always has got stupid problems. Besides the fact the artist straight copy some elements of the ps2/ds sprites, so artisitically he doesn't have much originality, and still manage to fail important characters like Mion and Rika who are garbage.

And Mangagamer just posted Tomitake :

Finally a guy who has got no problem on the face, tough the artist clearly straight copied the face of the Alchemist version and changed its perspective...

But wait, what the hell with those muscles, is Tomitake supposed to be a fishman ?
Old 2014-09-19, 04:26   Link #413
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuraGuraMan View Post
I finished making a list of request with everything I modified, just sent it to mangagamer's and Doddler's twitters.

-snip-
It seems you are missing the difference in bang size between Shion and Mion. It could make the reader be able to see through the ruse of Shion not being Mion in the beginning of the second arc.

Quote:
They're just more detailed, which can also be explained by the fact that the Alchemist release has :
- more characters sprites
- All the backgrounds remade
- CGs

Overall, the style is just different. But making it more detailed DOESN'T make it directly better at all. When looking at Alchemist sprites, I'm satisfied, but it seems like the Steam sprites always has got stupid problems. Besides the fact the artist straight copy some elements of the ps2/ds sprites, so artisitically he doesn't have much originality, and still manage to fail important characters like Mion and Rika who are garbage.

And Mangagamer just posted Tomitake :

Finally a guy who has got no problem on the face, tough the artist clearly straight copied the face of the Alchemist version and changed its perspective...

But wait, what the hell with those muscles, is Tomitake supposed to be a fishman ?

That is a bit strange.

One detail which isn't very important, but would be nice to have for Tomitake's sprites is his beer belly. Takano comments on it in the visual novel. It is also visible in the ordinal sprites, but seems to be missing in the PS2 sprites.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2014-09-19 at 04:41.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 05:53   Link #414
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

I love that Tomitake sprite. For a trained person in military those muscles aren't that surprising imo.
Old 2014-09-19, 06:51   Link #415
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
I love that Tomitake sprite. For a trained person in military those muscles aren't that surprising imo.

You don't seems to understand that it's an ANATOMY problem to being with, those muscles doesn't even make any sense and the lines make them look horrible, he feels like a fish damnit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
It seems you are missing the difference in bang size between Shion and Mion. It could make the reader be able to see through the ruse of Shion not being Mion in the beginning of the second arc.

Oh, true, forgot that. And just in case, The Shion we see at the beginning of Watanagashi WAS Mion (Shion first appeared at the dessert day), so it doesn't even make sense anyway.

Quote:
One detail which isn't very important, but would be nice to have for Tomitake's sprites is his beer belly. Takano comments on it in the visual novel. It is also visible in the ordinal sprites, but seems to be missing in the PS2 sprites.
This Steam Tomitake is a full copy paste fo the Alchemist version with those horrible looking muscles and with darker colors, so doens't really surprise me, actually I never saw any adaptations that kept his belly, kinda like Mion's gun.

So, which version do you prefer ?
from left to right, Alchemist, Mangagamer, Mangagamer with some colors changes, and Mangagamer with some colors changes and the arm muscles removed, and finally same as before without the abdominals, like the Vanilla version.

Last edited by TheGuraGuraMan; 2014-09-19 at 07:05.
Old 2014-09-19, 06:52   Link #416
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
You don't seems to understand that it's an ANATOMY problem to being with, those muscles doesn't even make any sense and the lines make them look horrible, he feels like a fish damnit.
Whatever you say. I'm tired of seeing you complain about every sprite they release. Take a chill pill and stick with the sprites you prefer. Not that hard.

Quote:
from left to right, Alchemist, Mangagamer, Mangagamer with some colors changes, and Mangagamer with some colors changes and the muscles removed..
Original MangaGamer sprite, with muscles ^_^
Old 2014-09-19, 07:10   Link #417
TheGuraGuraMan

And I'm tired of this artist fucking most of his sprites who had a good potential with stupid ideas/changes.
Old 2014-09-19, 07:30   Link #418
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
And I'm tired of this artist fucking most of his sprites who had a good potential with stupid ideas/changes.
Come on Gura, you can't be that upset over simple images. I was messing with you when you I said to take a chill pill but really, it's not like MangaGamer is gonna force us to play Higurashi with it.
Old 2014-09-19, 07:34   Link #419
chaos_alfa

Quote:
from left to right, Alchemist, Mangagamer, Mangagamer with some colors changes, and Mangagamer with some colors changes and the arm muscles removed, and finally same as before without the abdominals, like the Vanilla version.
I would go with the Alchemist sprite. I get the feeling with MangaGamer's sprites that even without the muscles his arms are a bit too big in comparison to the rest of his body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
Whatever you say. I'm tired of seeing you complain about every sprite they release. Take a chill pill and stick with the sprites you prefer. Not that hard.
I like his posts

It is interesting to see where the sprites differ from each other, what it means and how they can be improved if found necessary.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 07:45   Link #420
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
I would go with the Alchemist sprite. I get the feeling with MangaGamer's sprites that even without the muscles his arms are a bit too big in comparison to the rest of his body.

Agree, tough I was more asking which version of Mangagamer you prefered. Actually, the fat arms could fit the fact that he's getting a bit fat, which seemed to be the case in the vanilla.

But indeed, removing the muscles make it obvious the arms were made a bit too big.

And Considering that Alchemist actually did gave him good abdominals :

Oh, and btw, had the idea to make some images looking like the cards in the limited edition of Matsuri, what do you think ?
Spoiler for Minigaroshi:

Those ones is in french, but could make ones in english too, also have an english logo. If you've got a proposition of character along with a line, wouldn't mind making it.

Last edited by TheGuraGuraMan; 2014-09-19 at 08:34.