AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2014-02-18, 10:28   Link #301
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I guess a lot of people simply either love or hate Mikasa... well everyone has an opinion.

Mikasa-lovers are living in their fantasy world, imagining things about Mikasa that are not true. Meanwhile Mikasa-haters are trying to compare her to the "current day human", who do not, compared to Mikasa, lose their parents twice in their life and almost the last remaining member of their family.

I mean Mikasa lost both her Ackerman-family parents and her Jäger-family parents. And she was convinced that Eren was dead, BUT she was still able to live on after thinking about it a bit. While Mikasa may seem super-human, she is not so strong mentally, escpacially when her mental "pillars" are destroyed on after another. I honestly don't understand how people can get annoyed about her behaviour. Moreover there is the saying "You don't know what is important to you until you lose it". Mikasa went through that development 3 times and she had a little bit of luck that at least the last instance could be averted.

If Mikasa would actually seem normal after all that happened. Now THAT would be a matter to "hate" her character...

... imo
Old 2014-03-08, 09:05   Link #302
Feint Nightmare

all i want to say is that i really hope she doesnt end up with jean... i prefer eren , or anyone else but just not jean srsly....
Feint Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-27, 16:08   Link #303
Sensual Grizzly

Although I love all the characters of the series, she is definitely in the bottom. Sometimes ti feels like the only part of her character is her devotion to Eren. It is, of course, understandable having in mind their history, but I find it quite static and boring. She isn't developing through series and I find it sad.
I do not hate her, but I find her devotion to be a little bit annoying from time to time.
Sensual Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 01:56   Link #304
kaijuwhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensual Grizzly View Post
Although I love all the characters of the series, she is definitely in the bottom. Sometimes ti feels like the only part of her character is her devotion to Eren. It is, of course, understandable having in mind their history, but I find it quite static and boring. She isn't developing through series and I find it sad.
I do not hate her, but I find her devotion to be a little bit annoying from time to time.
That's actually a pretty valid point. I've been trying to explore possibilities where Mikasa could somehow be her own person without being defined by Eren. For all of the badassery she packs, it truly is a letdown that her sole motivation for being around at all is in fact the main character of the show. I for one hope to see Mikasa realize that she can survive on her own, and that she cannot possibly follow Eren everywhere for the rest of her life without meeting a bad end. That kind of devotion is understandable, yes, but also dangerous. I actually love Mikasa a lot because she has potential, but right now Isayama isn't giving her a chance for strong character development.

Not to mention Eren really just wants to prove himself and escape her shadow.

Such marks in pleasures and in pains endure.
Such pleasures seek if private be thy end:
If it be public, wide let them extend
Such pains avoid, whichever be thy view:

If pains must come, let them extend to few."
kaijuwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 19:38   Link #305
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Ok, I just found out, that that whole "Mikasa's mother is Oriental" is wrong. It actually IS "Mikasa's mother is Asian". This applies to both anime and manga.

"Oriental" was a mistranslation... so much for all the "it could be a different planet, because an Orient exists on other planets as well" theories... unless of course, you claim that those other planets coincidently also have a continent called "Asia".
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 21:41   Link #306
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Ok, I just found out, that that whole "Mikasa's mother is Oriental" is wrong. It actually IS "Mikasa's mother is Asian". This applies to both anime and manga.

"Oriental" was a mistranslation... so much for all the "it could be a different planet, because an Orient exists on other planets as well" theories... unless of course, you claim that those other planets coincidently also have a continent called "Asia".
Really?
I don't remember which page that manga talked about Mikasa's background.
According to WIkipedia, Mikasa inherits the blood line of 東洋人(East Ocean people). According to Japan's Ministry of Education, "East Ocean" means East Asia. So, the terminology doesn't seem to apply Asia.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 22:24   Link #307
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
Really?
I don't remember which page that manga talked about Mikasa's background.
According to WIkipedia, Mikasa inherits the blood line of 東洋人(East Ocean people). According to Japan's Ministry of Education, "East Ocean" means East Asia. So, the terminology doesn't seem to apply Asia.
According to Google translate, Jisho.org, the official U.S. localisation and the official German localisation the (primary) translation of 東洋人 is "Asian People" or "Asian(s)", the secondary translation for the machine translator/online dictionary is "Oriental", but there is no mention about "East Ocean people" anywhere.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 07:36   Link #308
kirikirito334

I really think Mikasa is cool. she saw her parents die right in front of her but she still regained her composure. if it were me I think I'll just wait for death in the corner.
kirikirito334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 22:59   Link #309
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
According to Google tran, Jisho.org, the official U.S. localisation and the official German localisation the (primary) translation of 東洋人 is "Asian People" or "Asian(s)", the secondary translation for the machine t ranslator/online dictionary is "Oriental", but there is no mention about "East Ocean people" anywhere.
If you translate toyoji(東洋人) word by word, you will get the east+ocean+person.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 15:01   Link #310
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

People are over looking the development of her character. See was a traumatized kid from the start getting your parents killed and might have been sold to white slavery later losing another family a titan eating your foster mom, obviously likes Eren, doesn't want to lose another family member and wants to protect him.

Those feelings are understandable, but as of late she's more of a "supporting cast" rather than a focus.

And yes I love those abs. Cammy from SF also has them
Old 2014-11-23, 14:41   Link #311
WS8SKILLZ

Mikasa is my favourite character in the manga and the animae her devotion and willingness to protect Eren to the end is absolutely beautiful. The reason she cannot afford to lose him is because everyone who she has ever loved is dead apart from Eren this naturally makes her love him more and its soo romantic. However Eren doesn't seem to show affection back to Mikasa which is disappointing as I was hoping for a moment of Romance . Oh well,, Overall I belive Mikasa is the most straightforward but also the most complex character in the wholse anime and manga
WS8SKILLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 00:31   Link #312
Tsubasasan11

Mikasa's psychological development from her childhood is what interested me in the most about her. She felt that she owed it to herself to be there and to protect Eren
Spoiler for because he saved her after her family was killed by those bad guys. When Eren was being choked, Mikasa took the knife in hand, and wouldn't see Eren die at the guys hand.:
She became like a mother-figure to Eren.

Additional details and information: Mikasa was strong in every area, which made her highly proficient in the taking down of Titans. She might have only been second in hand to hand combat to Annie, who was black belt material in the martial arts. But as far as slicing the back of necks of Titans, Mikasa was at the top of the rank.

Mikasa was such a beautiful character. I loved everything about her personality and style. And to add one last thing, she wasn't ruled by her emotions.
Spoiler for When Armin revealed to her that Eren had fulfilled his duties and was killed along with several others:
, she didn't break down in tears, she remained calm about it, and pressed on.
Tsubasasan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 06:16   Link #313
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubasasan11 View Post
Mikasa's psychological development from her childhood is what interested me in the most about her. She felt that she owed it to herself to be there and to protect Eren
Spoiler for because he saved her after her family was killed by those bad guys. When Eren was being choked, Mikasa took the knife in hand, and wouldn't see Eren die at the guys hand.:
She became like a mother-figure to Eren.

Additional details and information: Mikasa was strong in every area, which made her highly proficient in the taking down of Titans. She might have only been second in hand to hand combat to Annie, who was black belt material in the martial arts. But as far as slicing the back of necks of Titans, Mikasa was at the top of the rank.

Mikasa was such a beautiful character. I loved everything about her personality and style. And to add one last thing, she wasn't ruled by her emotions.
Spoiler for When Armin revealed to her that Eren had fulfilled his duties and was killed along with several others:
, she didn't break down in tears, she remained calm about it, and pressed on.
There is no need for spoiler-tags for things that were covered by the anime. Also I disagree with the last point. She only remained "calm" on the outside, but was secretly devastated by the loss of Eren. That's why she became reckless overused her 3DMG propelling gas. She only got back on track when she was about to get killed and was in a position when even she herself needed "outside help".

Tags
characters