AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-23, 01:53   Link #81
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
tch, honestly, I thought I could keep watching this even with the censoring, but I don't think I can after this episode. I'll just wait for the uncensored blu ray episodes or something. How disappointing.
Old 2011-04-23, 06:42   Link #82
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Lol thanks for the eva parody

Anyway , i admit that this time the censorship was wtf at 9mn38-10mn38...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 08:35   Link #83
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Was that real censorship or just a joke? (If so, too long. But it can't beat Endless Eight.)

Asuna was surprisingly strong. I'd have expecter Kotone or Eri to be vying for second place... I guess she's got Baka Power, like another Asuna.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 09:07   Link #84
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Was that real censorship or just a joke? (If so, too long. But it can't beat Endless Eight.)

Asuna was surprisingly strong. I'd have expecter Kotone or Eri to be vying for second place... I guess she's got Baka Power, like another Asuna.
My guess is that it has "inappropriately erotic" scenes which might remind people of the tsunami, so it had to be taken out. It lasted way too long to be a joke.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 11:40   Link #85
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
tch, honestly, I thought I could keep watching this even with the censoring, but I don't think I can after this episode. I'll just wait for the uncensored blu ray episodes or something. How disappointing.
Yeah, I'm doing the same thing.
And this is the second show I have to postpone for dvd/bd version, after 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku...

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 11:46   Link #86
CWW
Lurker

Am I the only one watching this for the comedy?

Girls just wanna have fun~
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 11:48   Link #87
Midonin
Last Engage

It's my favorite show of the season because of its stubborn refusal to adhere to logic, reasoning or most things approaching reality (besides the rules of tennis. And even then.)
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 11:58   Link #88
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
I wouldn't call it my favorite of the season, but I'm enjoying it over all. Only real complaint is the "censorship" stuff can get annoying.

In any case, I'll say this much. My favorite so far is Kotone.
Old 2011-04-23, 16:12   Link #89
Molenir

Censorship makes me want to quit watching, and its kinda boring too. Panty shots, particularly censored ones, aren't really enough to make me want to watch something. Another problem is that its about soft tennis, aka fake tennis. Having played and watched the real thing, this seems like more of a joke sport then anything else. Kinda like curling. Sure, its an actual sport, and people play it, but you wonder, why...
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 16:41   Link #90
CWW
Lurker

It's pretty sad when the reason what makes a show watchable or not is whether the panties are visible or not.

And are you seriously arguing that soft tennis is fake tennis? It's anime and a comedy at that. The laws of physics need not apply. The rules are the same, it might as well be hard tennis. The only difference is that these balls can be used for breast jokes and you can hit people in the face with it for laughs. It's like saying softball is fake baseball. Who cares? It's a cartoon. You're not playing the game.
Old 2011-04-23, 17:23   Link #91
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

Dropped, this censroship is stupid and illogic and ruin the show entirely.
Wait for bds.
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 22:48   Link #92
Sekirei07

For the people that drop this, kinda don't get what your point is.

If you just want to watch boobs bouncing or panty shots well just watch something that has those.

The series is not JUST panty shots and boobs, its got a lot of good points to it as well. Elizabeth is one of my favorite western characters ever!

Kotone is honest to god the reincarnation of Yue from Angel Beats. The character variety between the girls is good with a nice combo of not just simple stereotypical ones but a few of them put together. Like clumsy glasses with big boobs + big eater, silent ninja like girl + extravagant eccentrics, and plain old average girl + perverted mind.

Its a fun show, and hell it probably teaching more westerners about a sport that most likely have never really heard of before. lol

But seriously, the parts cut out and edited out don't have much relevance to the show itself other than jokes, which the show already has plenty of. People focus too much on the small bits they don't get rather than what they do get...
Old 2011-04-23, 23:02   Link #93
JackALope044
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
My guess is that it has "inappropriately erotic" scenes which might remind people of the tsunami, so it had to be taken out. It lasted way too long to be a joke.
Wow, that censorship makes so much more sense now. Especially considering that there was... You know, flooding going on.

I doubt we'll even see it added back in BR/DVD.

Although, it does disappoint me that people are dropping this JUST because of the censorship.
JackALope044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 23:21   Link #94
mysterious

This show is my guilty pleasure of the season. I dont think they have that much censors in this show so far. And dont mess with sharks regardless of on land or in water.
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 23:55   Link #95
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Moments like the shark are why I enjoy this show. I'm not sure why people are dropping the show due to censors, I'm kinda enjoying the comedy aspect more.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 00:04   Link #96
Sekirei07

The term "Jumping the Shark" I think works here lol
Old 2011-04-24, 00:04   Link #97
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
If you just want to watch boobs bouncing or panty shots well just watch something that has those.

The series is not JUST panty shots and boobs, its got a lot of good points to it as well.
I can't tell if you are serious. I'm well aware that Soft Tennis isn't an anime to be judged next to masterpieces such as Haibane Renmei or Madoka Magica, but there is little to see here beyond panties, boobs and cute faces.
Quote:
Elizabeth is one of my favorite western characters ever!

Kotone is honest to god the reincarnation of Yue from Angel Beats. The character variety between the girls is good with a nice combo of not just simple stereotypical ones but a few of them put together. Like clumsy glasses with big boobs + big eater, silent ninja like girl + extravagant eccentrics, and plain old average girl + perverted mind.
The two parts of your words I highlighted have been done to hell and back. They are mere half-butt attempts to recycle old and creaky character archetypes in the exact same combination that you can find everywhere. There is nothing special like you claim. Why is Chitose clumsy despite speaking and acting like an ideal motherly woman? Because it's cute and attractive, and this old cliche has earned similar anime and games a lot of money in the past. Why does Kurusu have dark skin and act detached on top of being the shortest girl? Because it's cute and attractive, and this old cliche has earned similar anime and games a lot of money in the past. These aren't original combinations of character traits in the least but a series of adherence to old formulas that worked in terms of profit. I praised Elizabeth on terms of her sexiness earlier, but that doesn't make her an original or decent character. Of course, I wouldn't mind these stereotypes if the writing for the humor and character interaction was compelling in any way, but the case for that is nil.
Quote:
Its a fun show, and hell it probably teaching more westerners about a sport that most likely have never really heard of before. lol
What I can agree with is its sparse education merits on the topic of soft tennis. Of course, this takes a backseat to fanservice and cute hijinks so it's not worth sitting through for the knowledge.
Quote:
But seriously, the parts cut out and edited out don't have much relevance to the show itself other than jokes, which the show already has plenty of. People focus too much on the small bits they don't get rather than what they do get...
The show has plenty of jokes, but the only funny one was the bread loaf in episode 2. None of the other humor has even made me smile, let alone laugh. Soft Tennis is an utter failure at comedy, thus it can be only be valued for its scanty educational value and its fanservice. This is why some members here are dropping it: the only significant quality of this anime for them is its fanservice and if some of that is censored it removes the motivation for them to continue watching. I'm not going to drop this but I see almost no merits to it other than what I already said.

Don't fool yourself. Accept this anime for what it is and proceed accordingly. I'm not going to criticize you for watching or enjoying Soft Tennis but don't try to make it look like something it is not.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 04:42   Link #98
Fimbulvetr

So you can't show flooding in a comedy show anymore? While I'm not surprised, I'm still disappointed. But since I was already close to dropping this, I was glad about that one minute censorship nonsense, it made the decision even easier.
Fimbulvetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 06:02   Link #99
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Have the Japanese become pussies or something? The tsunami was over a month ago, how long until this whole 'self-restraint' BS wears off? Can't they show anything that deals with flooding or stuff breaking anymore? Or is this yet another cheap attempt at getting otaku to buy the Blu-Rays? You can't tell me the scene in question was that hardcore, they had to completely cover it up.

Overall, this was a funny episode. Kotone is quickly becoming my favorite.
Old 2011-04-24, 06:44   Link #100
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Don't fool yourself. Accept this anime for what it is and proceed accordingly. I'm not going to criticize you for watching or enjoying Soft Tennis but don't try to make it look like something it is not.
Wow, patronizing much?

It seems like you're watching the show for something it's not.

It's a show that primarily sets up jokes. If you don't find the jokes funny, that's fine, but it doesn't mean it's not funny to other people. You fault the show for having character cliches, but is that really valid criticism for what it's trying to do? It's more or less a sitcom. It's not pretending to be a smart comedy. They use Asuna's cow as a running joke, quite literally in this case. In more than a few cases they subvert those cliches. The humor is character-driven, sure, but most of it is still visceral and random. That it so happens to have titillating (and sometimes obscured) shots to satisfy a demographic and, God forbid, sell some DVDs/BDs is beside the point. I wonder if there'd be such a backlash if the censor images were replaced by magic fog or beams of light.

Last edited by CWW; 2011-04-24 at 06:57.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, school life, shounen, sports