AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-09-04, 21:25   Link #141
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Now that's a nice calender for the new year. Might go for one since it'd have to be better than the random snowmobiling one I got last year .
Old 2008-09-04, 23:35   Link #142
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Hmm, I've looked around but maybe I've missed something.

Any news on a North American release? As much as I'd like to support this show, I'm not going to buy six volumes of DVDs that I can not understand without subtitles and my DVD player can't play. <_<
RampagingEvangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 08:07   Link #143
LKK

^^ There is official word that S&W has been licensed for sale in the US, but as of right now, there is no US distributor. The licensor (Kadokawa USA) does not have its own US distribution network, so it needs a partner in order to get the product released in the US.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 13:26   Link #144
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingEvangelion View Post

Any news on a North American release? As much as I'd like to support this show, I'm not going to buy six volumes of DVDs that I can not understand without subtitles and my DVD player can't play. <_<
And once again, a japanese animation company misses out on globalization by not themselves providing a region-free release with subtitles onboard from the start.

It'll be interesting to see whether this series gets a full-on treatment in R1 or a low-budget 'special interest' treatment given its subject matter and dependence on verbal sparring.
Old 2008-09-05, 14:07   Link #145
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingEvangelion View Post

Can definitely agree with your position there. Once its out here I'll be all over it. Well assuming my budget situation isn't a complete nightmare . Would still like to support the show so will likely get some of it.
Old 2008-09-05, 22:18   Link #146
Kaguya
an idler

"Spices and wolf" have a story based on a fictitious country, a fictitious period, and fictitious religion.

However, it strongly remind us of the Middle Ages Europe.

In R1-DVD, is it difficult to release such an animated cartoon in which the church is described as a villain?

Or, after the story is modified, is it released?
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 23:27   Link #147
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
"Spices and wolf" have a story based on a fictitious country, a fictitious period, and fictitious religion.

However, it strongly remind us of the Middle Ages Europe.

In R1-DVD, is it difficult to release such an animated cartoon in which the church is described as a villain?

Or, after the story is modified, is it released?
Here in the US, nothing like that is modified and there are no problems publishing it. And being realistic, when you look in the past, a lot of the stuff the medieval church did WAS evil. Heck, even into the late 1700's. That's why we had a revolution (amongst other reason ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And once again, a japanese animation company misses out on globalization by not themselves providing a region-free release with subtitles onboard from the start.

It'll be interesting to see whether this series gets a full-on treatment in R1 or a low-budget 'special interest' treatment given its subject matter and dependence on verbal sparring.
Yep. I do hope that it will get full treatment. I'm sorta new when it comes to buying DVDs. Do region 1 DVDs often get full treatment or do they usually go low budget?
One thing is for certain... I will not be watching any dubs. I don't think any US voice actor could accurately replicate the awesomeness that is Horo! Of course I'm only joking but still I won't watch dubs.
Old 2008-09-06, 00:13   Link #148
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Actually, the church is usually evil. Scrapped Princess, Full Metal Alchemist, and Hellsing all come to mind.
Old 2008-09-06, 00:21   Link #149
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
Actually, the church is usually evil. Scrapped Princess, Full Metal Alchemist, and Hellsing all come to mind.
Come to think of it you are correct. Hm, I never seemed to notice this before.
Old 2008-09-06, 05:23   Link #150
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heck, I can come up with dozens of "corrupt church" live-action films. It doesn't mean that there won't be a few idiots protesting but many folks do *get* the "free speech includes speech that annoys you".

Besides, most of the sorts of people who get perturbed view the "medieval Church" as corrupt anyway (and hence the Reformation and the Protestant movement).

Region 1 more often gets the "full treatment" the last few years.... I would *expect* any distributor who decided on a dub to *really* spend a bit of time on the script and dialog styles of the characters.
Old 2008-09-06, 08:39   Link #151
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Hmmm....if any of you watched the English Dub for Ah! My Goddess, I think Eileen Stevens might be a good choice. I think she has a very good voice, and brings out proper emotions...we'll have to see...but yeah. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=38251

haha....there are so many bad english VA's though...but they don't go to school for being a VA. Japan does have UNIVERSITIES where people study V.A. ^_^, and it's a 4 year course! hahaha
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 10:43   Link #152
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Think it will just take time until the English VA industry takes the step forward. With anime coming over, animated films, games, etc eventually should encourage them to take steps to improve the overall quality. Can't really blame the VA's themselves since its not like they get University courses dedicated to it. Still some do a really good job, just depends.

Don't think the Church being painted as a danger/bad guy will be an issue with it coming over. Though I'm sure some won't be happy about it.
Old 2008-09-07, 23:09   Link #153
Blank-Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Think it will just take time until the English VA industry takes the step forward. With anime coming over, animated films, games, etc eventually should encourage them to take steps to improve the overall quality. Can't really blame the VA's themselves since its not like they get University courses dedicated to it. Still some do a really good job, just depends.
Well, considering how english dubs usually turn out, we have nothing to worry about, right?
Old 2008-09-18, 17:27   Link #154
Lightly_Toasted

Well using some pictures I obtained off of the internet, I made my own Spice and wolf shirt. I got a couple stares from people at school.(The back is a bit racy) But I just love it. It is just so cool. Only thing is the front is a LITTLE blurry, not bad enough to dissuade me from remaking and and ordering a new one. Still looks really cool.
http://www.zazzle.com/spice_and_wolf...09497329925988

I might post up some pictures of it on me later on this week. BTW I'm a guy.
Lightly_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 23:55   Link #155
Blank-Mage

I think the back might be giving people the wrong impression...
Old 2008-09-19, 17:02   Link #156
Lightly_Toasted

True, but its more of an inside joke for fans of the show. Like something to wear to a convention. After all what separates Spice and wolf from so many other animes is its lower amount of fanservice. I mean first 2 episodes sure. But other than that not much else unless you consider Horo cutely asking for something fanservice. (In which case its full of).

But it really is MORE than just fanservice.
Lightly_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 23:25   Link #157
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

lol, I could never wear that shirt at home or my mom would literally die.....O_o

haha, but I think it rules ^_^, and the fact you actually wore it in public...I have a long way to go if I want to call myself a true fan....sigh.
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 02:53   Link #158
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

kinda made me smile, that back picture of yours..
Maybe I should try one.. don't think I would have problems wearing that ^_^

btw, you said you made that yourself, so that means you have the pick you put on the back?? mind sharing it ? ^_^

I would have problems wearing smth like Teletubbies or smth of that sort
salv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 06:20   Link #159
Starburst
Horo♥

RE: salv87
The picture is from hisahiko's website. I could link it directly, but you may like what you find as you go through the site, and I only think it's fair to the artist this way. To find the picture click Diary, then go to 2008, then click on the 3rd month.

After Vexx's post I had to go in search of those Horo figures. I came up with these results...

For this link http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/097/97093/img.html
I found their page at http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~turunoyakata/horo.htm
And another picture here
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/mayura0309/e/1...2f731de0460028
(I really want one of these ones)

For this link http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/097/97097/img.html
Their page, http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~tohfuku/page070.html
And another picture here
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/mayura0309/e/d...c289cfa646c287
and here http://www.special-warfare.net/data_...stival_01.html

Along with those I found some new Horo figures at this link http://blog.livedoor.jp/win___hiro/a.../51594526.html though the pictures are mostly poor in quality. New Horo's are here and here (NWS). Also at this link are the ones from above, just in lower quality pictures.

Actually, I found a better picture of the Chibi Horo here.
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 07:30   Link #160
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

Thx starburst.
salv87 is offline   Reply With Quote