Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-14, 07:58   Link #41
Xiyon

PelleK moving up in life. Good on him.
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-14, 10:02   Link #42
Frontier

I have to admit, when I saw the explicit content warning, I thought something terrible was going to happen to that mother and her little girls...but instead this was a surprisingly wholesome, low-key, episode of Arc going on a bodyguard quest for an adorable little girl trying to help her mother in the vein of her late father. Perfect job for cuteness and for Arc to keep a low profile .

It's such a cute episode that Arc even meets his animal companion! Nothing ensures loyalty like healing a wounded kitsune and showing you mean it no harm, and I love how Ponta has enough sense to know it doesn't want to be called "Tempura" .

Of course things turn towards action when it turns out their destination has a boss battle waiting for them, a giant Basilisk in fact, though thankfully Arc is experienced enough of a player to swiftly defend Marca and slay it in good measure .

"Judgement!" What is this, a Tales Of game ?

I love how Marca is making fun of the Fanged Boars not being as scary as the Basilisk...and then a Fanged Boar immediately shows up. Perfect time for Arc to kill it .

Can't think of a better way to cap off this quest than a heartwarming reunion between mother and daughter and Arc receiving the eternal gratefulness of the family .

So is someone using those bands around the Basiliks' legs to control them and have them move to the places they're being found? For what purpose? And now that they've discovered the Basilisk that Arc killed, will word of his deed start spreading around until he's found out ?

"An Austere Elf Dances for Her Comrades" - Sounds like we're finally going to properly meet the elf girl female lead .
Old 2022-04-14, 11:13   Link #43
magnuskn

Yeah, that super wholesome opening with the graphic warning made me clench my buttcheeks quite a bit, especially after how the show opened last week. A good thing it just seems to be there for the show in general, not the specific scene where it is shown.
Old 2022-04-14, 13:06   Link #44
Marina2

The second episode is pure wholesome.
Old 2022-04-14, 13:09   Link #45
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Anime shuffling things around a bit more.
Spoiler for LN & Manga:

Liked how they added more to the Basilisk fight scene.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-14, 13:25   Link #46
grecefar

wholesome and all that but it was pretty boring chapter, I was paying more attention to my phone than the chapter, well I hope the next one is better.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-14, 15:01   Link #47
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I have to admit, when I saw the explicit content warning, I thought something terrible was going to happen to that mother and her little girls...
Wait, the content warning is still there? I watched episode 2 on Muse Asia and the warning is no more.

Also back in episode 1, I heard people saying that content warning was flashing while the attempted rape was going? That's weird. Muse Asia actually preceeded that scene with a black screen of content warning before it played out.
Old 2022-04-15, 03:17   Link #48
Lex79

Yeah on Crunchyroll there is still the content warning on top of the screen for the first few seconds of the episode (no blank screen). Considering that this episode introduced the cute animal companion I find it hard to believe that the warning will ever be needed anymore, we'll see next week if it's removed.
Old 2022-04-15, 19:13   Link #49
Itlandm
Porcupine

I am not sure whether a hysterically laughing skull as the main character warrants a content warning, but I don't think I'd show it to just everyone. Of course, compared to the previous skull main character I watched, this is pretty friendly.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-21, 10:05   Link #50
Frontier

We finally properly meet our female lead, Ariane, a beautiful elf warrior who dutifully seriously goes out to right the wrongs against her people and save those persecuted by the humans and voiced with grace and stoicism by Ai Fairouz. Also she's the chief's daughter? Does that mean she counts as a princess ?

I love Arc just laughing so gleefully while he hunts down and summarily executes brigands and steals their loots like a proper JRPG protagonist .

I haven't seen a human, or human-like, figure shift into CGI so much since Battle in 5 Seconds .

How would Ariane feel if she knew the truth about Arc? She has such a low opinion of humans that I'm half-tempted to think it would actually improve her opinion of Arc .

Arc and Ariane get off on the wrong foot because she assumes he's with the brigands who are part of the elf trafficking ring, but luckily Ponta is there to diffuse the situation. Not only is Ponta a cute animal sidekick, but he's also a Spirit Creature, and not easy to befriend even by elves, marking Arc's good character and appeal. Also, even the most serious of women have one great weakness...cute animals .

Arc a true man of culture and a true JRPG player to know you never ignore the questline with the beautiful elf woman .

We're finally getting into the root of the problems going on in the series as it turns out the attack on Lauren and the Basilisks' were the work of Tryton du Diento, who is trying to stir unrest for the sake of a plot by Prince Dakares for the sake of a possible invasion. And Arc has unknowingly been foiling all of this in his heroic exploits. Will Arc continue to get in the way of this political power play? And what side is Princess Yuriana on ?

Tryton's son Udolana is a real piece of work himself...making a poor elf girl beg and then stabbing her when she does so. The kind of trash no one but his own father would probably shed a tear for after Arc finishes him .

Just when Arc thinks it's time for his latest heroic entrance, Ariane shows up to make quick work of the brigands and free her captive sister elves. Try to cop a feel on her ample bosom, lose an arm .

Of course Udolana, being the trash he is, threatens the imprisoned girls and leaves Ariane no option but to let the bad guys have their way with her...which is the perfect opportunity for Arc to make his entrance, Lariat Udolana, and leave Ariane free to finish off everybody else. Nice teamwork !

Well, even though he freed them, I can understand why Arc would unnerve those poor girls with his looks and after what they'd been through, but luckily his magic freeing them from their mana-eating collars and healing their wounds did more than enough to endear him to them as well as Ariane .

Looks like Arc and Ariane are going to continue to work together to bust this slavery ring wide open! Can't wait .
Old 2022-04-21, 12:03   Link #51
Alchemist007
*Author

This show seems to like rapey situations.
Old 2022-04-21, 12:17   Link #52
grecefar

He really like elfs, can't blame him and he found a pretty good one.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-21, 13:15   Link #53
HandofFate

would act the same as him in running into an elf.

also, i just laugh at how dumb isekai bandits are. Like in the beginning of the female elf warrior's entrance, the guy that tries to grab the elf warrior's boobs when she's standing there clearly pissed with a sword in her hand, and gets his hand lopped off, what the hell did you think was gonna happen.
Old 2022-04-21, 15:07   Link #54
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's not such a problem in the manga, but I'm not comfortable with Arc waiting so long before intervening. The first time was explained by him not knowing his own strength, but here? Man, don't let that creep stab a little girl.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-21, 16:33   Link #55
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
would act the same as him in running into an elf.

also, i just laugh at how dumb isekai bandits are. Like in the beginning of the female elf warrior's entrance, the guy that tries to grab the elf warrior's boobs when she's standing there clearly pissed with a sword in her hand, and gets his hand lopped off, what the hell did you think was gonna happen.
That's definitely one way of responding to a guy trying to cop a feel .
Old 2022-04-21, 17:18   Link #56
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
This show seems to like rapey situations.
Yeah, they are not stinting with portraying the humans as scumbags. One has to wonder if that is written into the game from which the fantasy world originates.
Old 2022-04-22, 09:49   Link #57
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, they are not stinting with portraying the humans as scumbags. One has to wonder if that is written into the game from which the fantasy world originates.
Arc has his game powers (without the class restrictions), but he hasn't remarked on any similarity between game lore and the world he's in.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-22, 11:22   Link #58
Greenish Growth

I like how this story kept making me think about tropes and if they will or will not happen. Arc frequently comments on them too. Sometimes I thought of a trope and then Arc says what I was thinking.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-22, 13:19   Link #59
Lex79

We still get the content warning...this episode was certainly heavier than the previous one but still far from needing a warning, at least in my eyes.
We got a proper introduction to the main heroine, who is a beautiful big breasted elf that luckily developed quickly a friendly attitude towards Arc with the help of the cute animal companion. Speaking of Ponta, I was actually surprised to hear he's male.
I wonder if Arc's eagerness to look for the elf was due only to his gamer instinct that compels him to not left a quest unfinished or if her looks played a part, and if we'll get some romance considering he looks like a skeleton.
Old 2022-04-22, 23:37   Link #60
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The guy that lost his arm was definitely asking for it. Maybe if she just walked up and didn't have a weapon drawn....well ok it would have still been really dumb. But seeing her take down a couple guys, have a weapon, and then going for it...You can't cure stupidity, but you can definitely make someone pay for it.

Of course the actual scumbag of the week got a very justified lariat. The loser was at least smarter than his men and realized that hostages are a thing. But thankfully Arc was able to get into this and take care of business. And I appreciate that he really didn't do anything more than that. I think he had enough respect for Ariane's ability to not do too much. There was no need for him to get involved beyond making sure the kids wouldn't be used as shields. And really since she's looking to be a main character in this, it's a good idea to let her shine in her debut fights. Not remotely on Arc's level, but she can handle herself.

Arc is having a lot of fun with this, but is also helping a lot of people. Not above looting his enemies either which is good for fueling his feasts .

Thankfully Ariane is smart enough to learn from mistakes. Arc is way too powerful and useful to ignore. That she nearly failed to save the kids probably tied into her request to hire him at the end here. If they have a good lead on the ringleaders and more kidnapped elves then it would be crazy to ignore the potential help. It is understandable that she'd have bias against humans considering what is happening with her people. But at least she overcame that bias. Although I'm sure it'll be a massive shock when the whole skeleton thing is revealed!