Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-08, 14:53   Link #29941
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
so many potential Darwin Award winners.
Till I read the bit about the ecological concerns, I thought of it not so much as a problem but as a solution.
Old 2013-08-08, 16:20   Link #29942
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Hawaii is the tourist destination for the rich corporate executives and banksters. Many people should be delighted that these things are created.
You seem to forget than they can be remplaced ...
Old 2013-08-09, 04:10   Link #29943
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Singaporean woman jailed 21 months for maid abuse

Quote:
A Singaporean woman was jailed for 21 months Wednesday for repeatedly abusing an Indonesian maid with attacks described by a judge as "repugnant to all notions of common humanity".

District Judge Low Wee Ping said the violence inflicted by Chan Huey Fern on her helper was one of the "most distressing" cases of maid abuse in the city-state, the Straits Times said.

"Chan Huey Fern was sentenced to 21 months' imprisonment today (Wednesday)," a district court spokeswoman told AFP.

Local media reported that Chan, 32, was convicted of five cases of maid abuse and that the offences took place in December 2010.

In mid-December, Chan punched the 25-year-old maid in the eye when she felt sleepy while taking care of Chan's two young children, the Straits Times reported.

Twelve days later, the maid said Chan attacked her again for not monitoring her son's temperature, pushing her head against the edge of a toilet doorway and kicking her private parts.

On December 31 that year, Chan lashed out again when she found her son's blanket on the floor in the children's room, kicking her maid repeatedly in the body, the report said.

She called the maid to the kitchen and resumed the abuse -- raining kicks on her body and groin area causing her to bleed, the report added.

It said the maid fled from the house that day, fearing more torment.

"Your abuses were systematic. What you have done to a helpless domestic helper, is repugnant to all notions of common humanity," the Straits Times quoted the judge as saying.

Pubic prosecutors said aggravating factors for a severe sentence included the seriousness of the maid's injuries and the fact that Chan showed a lack of remorse, the report said.

Chan had denied the charges, telling the court that the maid's injuries were self-inflicted.

She is appealing the conviction and sentence.

More than 200,000 women, many of them from impoverished villages in Indonesia, the Philippines, India, Myanmar and Bangladesh, work as domestic helpers in affluent Singapore.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-08-09, 04:19   Link #29944
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Got to be honest, I really dislike the way many people treat maids and butlers. It's like they think they're Lords from the Dark Ages with serfs or something.
Old 2013-08-09, 04:26   Link #29945
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

To be honestly blunt, that abusing woman deserves to be called a "twat" wherever she goes.

The other inmates better show her how it feels to be a victim of physical abuse.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-08-09 at 04:49.
Old 2013-08-09, 05:02   Link #29946
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Unfortunately that is pretty normal in Asia, or South East Asia.

They think that anyone who serves them are slaves simply because they give the service people money.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-08-09, 05:08   Link #29947
Mr Hat and Clogs

My friends families maid was quite possibly the nicest and funniest person I've ever met when you actually spoke to her.
Old 2013-08-09, 05:38   Link #29948
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Students kicked out of school for speaking native language in English School.

When I heard this... I laughed shouting "WTF?"

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-08-09 at 05:49.
Old 2013-08-09, 05:52   Link #29949
Mr Hat and Clogs

Sounds like a butthurt Principle to me.
Old 2013-08-09, 06:31   Link #29950
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
Meh...it's kinda same in the NYPD...where Hispanic cops get reprimanded just for speaking Spanish at the office.
Old 2013-08-09, 07:16   Link #29951
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
I found this almost funny. "She kicks herself in the groin Your Honour. People do that all the time!"
Old 2013-08-09, 07:54   Link #29952
Mr Hat and Clogs

It's how I pass the time when I'm bored, doesn't everyone do that?
Old 2013-08-09, 07:57   Link #29953
HasuMasu
*Artist

21 months seems, I don't know...it's not even two years.
Old 2013-08-09, 08:25   Link #29954
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Can the maid mount a civil suit for monetary damages in Singapore? I would think the criminal conviction gives the maid pretty solid grounds for demanding a large cash payment in recompense.
Old 2013-08-09, 09:03   Link #29955
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. orders non-essential staff out of consulate in Pakistan's Lahore
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97804Y20130809
Old 2013-08-09, 11:39   Link #29956
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Can the maid mount a civil suit for monetary damages in Singapore? I would think the criminal conviction gives the maid pretty solid grounds for demanding a large cash payment in recompense.
If she has to money to hire a good enough lawyer. This would be a personal suit, and it would be subject to the permission of her agency.

If I remember things correctly. TRL, JokerD, Makube or Skane might be in better positions to answer the question though.

Old 2013-08-09, 20:33   Link #29957
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama pledges greater transparency in surveillance programs
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9780UY20130809

U.S. considering arrests in JPMorgan 'whale' case: sources
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97811S20130809
Old 2013-08-10, 03:34   Link #29958
JokerD

Quote:
If she has to money to hire a good enough lawyer. This would be a personal suit, and it would be subject to the permission of her agency.

If I remember things correctly. TRL, JokerD, Makube or Skane might be in better positions to answer the question though.
If she has the money, she wouldn't be working as a maid over here in the first place.
Anyway, I don't recall any cases of this type (private suit for abuse) doesn't mean that it can't be done, if it's in line with the money awarded for accidental death I think the payout would be more to cover medical expenses and any lost of income rather than the headline massive damages you see in the US.
Old 2013-08-10, 07:06   Link #29959
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Is this Australia's answer to Sarah Palin? Candidate believes Islam is a country and gets halal mixed up with a term that means sinful
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...interview.html
Old 2013-08-10, 07:11   Link #29960
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
If she has the money, she wouldn't be working as a maid over here in the first place.
Anyway, I don't recall any cases of this type (private suit for abuse) doesn't mean that it can't be done, if it's in line with the money awarded for accidental death I think the payout would be more to cover medical expenses and any lost of income rather than the headline massive damages you see in the US.
There is a method used by some less opportune individuals to get good lawyers - and that is to promise a percentage of the money awarded as commission. It is common in the insurance industry and has a pretty OK success rate; not sure if it works in a suit like this where the maid is less likely to be awarded a large sum due to her origin from a country with a weaker currency than the SGD.

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international