AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-07-12, 09:08   Link #561
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
They'll have to do every scenario if they want to remain faithful to the true ending. The ordering of the scenarios, however, is pretty arbitrary...

My order would be:
Spoiler:
My only concern with that ordering is how early Founder's Day is supposed to happen...
Old 2007-07-12, 23:35   Link #562
mugener

Just to let you guys know.

One of the reasons that KyoAni push clannad back may be that kanon dvd does not sell really well in Japan.

Compare with other normal animes, kanon dvd sales may look good, but it's not enough for KyoAni's budget put on this anime.

If KyoAni anime can't enter Oriocon's dvd(all kinds of dvd, not just anime) weekly rank top 5, then they are losing money.

This also means that KyoAni will make clannad more than 24 eps under only one condition:

If only they can earn more by making more eps, not losing more.

And judged by kanon's dvd sales, this doesn't look good.

They may be willing to make another 50eps Haruhi though.
mugener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 00:09   Link #563
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugener View Post
Just to let you guys know.

One of the reasons that KyoAni push clannad back may be that kanon dvd does not sell really well in Japan.

Compare with other normal animes, kanon dvd sales may look good, but it's not enough for KyoAni's budget put on this anime.

If KyoAni anime can't enter Oriocon's dvd(all kinds of dvd, not just anime) weekly rank top 5, then they are losing money.
You have numbers to back this up, I presume?

Quote:
This also means that KyoAni will make clannad more than 24 eps under only one condition:

If only they can earn more by making more eps, not losing more.
Obviously. It may just be my delusional imagination, but KyoAni seems to take pride in what they do - they care as much about their reputation as the almighty yen.

Quote:
They may be willing to make another 50eps Haruhi though.
Even if they animate everything remaining in all of the novels, I don't think they could stretch it to 50-ish episodes.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 00:26   Link #564
mugener

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
You have numbers to back this up, I presume?
yeah, in my mind.

well, at least I can let you check this week's rank:
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/dg/w/

It seems that kanon just couldn't enter top5 since dvd 1.
mugener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 00:29   Link #565
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
yeah, in my mind.

actually a few volumes 5 and 6 have made it to # 1

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...anking-may-2-8
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ing-april-4-10
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 00:35   Link #566
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Wow. 6th place. Yeah, I know, too bad. Ranking 1 place higher would have meant the difference between prosperity and bankrupcy, right?

Actually, I think the question is, why do you think Kyoto Animation is losing money on such productions just because the DVD sales aren't in the top 5 of Oricon? If that were the case, I think a lot more animation studios should be worrying about their financial state...

Or is it because you think Kyoto Animation spent a disproportionate amount of money on the show, and somehow isn't making it back with the sales? I'm curious to know how you calculated such a thing.

At any rate, I agree with FatPianoBoy that Kyoto Animation seems to make stuff that they themselves are fans of, and they probably enjoy making what they do. I mean, why else did they animate Skane's favorite uber-tastic CGI marble?

And there definitely isn't enough material for Haruhi so far to make 50 episodes. Maybe 3 cours at the most. And until we get an actual confirmation date from Kyoto Animation themselves, please don't go around proclaiming which show will come first without hard evidence backing it up.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 04:01   Link #567
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Has anyone had a look at the AnimeFesta website? I can't read Japanese very well, but is Clannad scheduled to be the featured or something there?

EDIT: That pic of Nagisa they have up sure looks hot... *ahem*... I mean, nostalgic...

Last edited by boggart; 2007-07-13 at 04:17.
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 08:14   Link #568
dgreater1
Misuzu & Kotomi Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
Has anyone had a look at the AnimeFesta website? I can't read Japanese very well, but is Clannad scheduled to be the featured or something there?

EDIT: That pic of Nagisa they have up sure looks hot... *ahem*... I mean, nostalgic...
Seems like there's an exhibition on August 11-12 and the tickets are all sold out...
dgreater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 09:13   Link #569
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
yeah, in my mind.

I'm not trying to defend Kyo-Ani or anything, but may I ask how did you deduce that Kyo-Ani is losing money just because they didn't make it to the top five of Oricon?

After all, it takes an insane amount of popularity for an anime OP or ED (like Hare Hare Yukai) to even break into the top five of the Oricon singles chart. So besides the "mainstream" titles like Naruto, Bleach and Death Note with their insane popularity, I don't find it odd that other decently popular anime titles couldn't reach the top 5 of the Oricon DVD charts. Based on your deductions, most of the anime studios would have gone bust by now, and yet they still churn out more titles.

My point is: So what? The primary target audience for Kanon has always been the Akiba otaku male, it's a plus for Kyo-Ani if it can attract other type of audiences as well, as the original game has proven.

And why are we talking about sales of Kanon DVDs here? Please get back on topic, folks.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 09:23   Link #570
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Even mainstream titles do not necessarily get chart-toppers. Detective Conan, One Piece, etc as far as I know it are popular, and also rakes in viewers, but as far as sales go...well, their sales-per-DVD output does not remotely come close to Gundam SEED/GSD/Haruhi/Code Geass.

It was never about the issue of reaching the Oricon, it's matter of how much DVDs they sell. And that on its own, be it Kanon, or AIR is not the primary indication of what'll happen to Clannad.

As far as I know it, while Kanon isn't the blockbuster the size of Haruhi/CE, if I recall, the sales were strong. Unless Kyoto Animation secretly churns out gold for each episode, they're not losing money.

If I recall it properly, a regular 2-cour show reaching 5000 DVD sales is considered already a good thing. 10000, and it's good enough to warrant a sequel in the making.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-13, 09:34   Link #571
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
And why are we talking about sales of Kanon DVDs here? Please get back on topic, folks.
Allow me to continue this off-topic discussion for a little bit longer.

It seems that the average sales figure of the Kanon DVDs is around 16,000. Obviously not as high as Code Geass nor SHnY, but still very profitable according to the "5,000 copies=break even" guideline.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp
http://www.syu-ta.com/blog
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 15:19   Link #572
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Must've been all the off-topicness that's causing the topic to slightly lose steam huh?

I wonder if Kyo-Ani would follow in AIR and Kanon's footsteps and cast someone else different from the game and drama CD for the protagonist Tomoya's role?

I've seen Itou Kentarou do bishoujo game protagonists before (Soul Link), but I just can't imagine him doing Tomoya, for some reason (I play the PC without any voice patch). Though Tomoya is designed as a delinquent, Itou sounds too "gruffy" for my taste. I must've been influenced by watching him performing Renji from Bleach for too long, since Renji is the sort of "wreak-havoc" delinquent-type character.

For me, Tomoya is on the "refined" scale for delinquents, a bit of Kyon-like sarcasm, but overall a nice guy. OTOH, despite his record of witty sarcastic characters, I also don't see Sugita Tomokazu do Tomoya, because Sugita's characters are mostly polite rule-abiding fellas, which Tomoya isn't.

I'm not familiar with Nojima Kenji's previous roles, besides, the Toei movie's not out yet, so the jury's still undecided on his performance. Though the seiyuus for the AIR movie and anime are different as well, it's unlikely he'll be cast for the anime.

Let's assume Kyo-Ani does pick someone else, who wants to speculate who it'll be? An established character or a relative unknown?

Useless afterthought: Starting off with the Fujibayashi twins makes me wonder: Does Lucky Star's Yoshimizu Kagami base his Hiiragi sisters' character design on the Fujibayashis? I'm not talking about the minute details, which are distinctly different, but the basic design: Kyou and Kagami - tsundere elder sister with long hair and twin tails, Ryou and Tsukasa - timid younger sister with short hair. Both siblings have purplish hair as well.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 17:42   Link #573
velocity7

You could have a listen to the drama CDs he's been in for CLANNAD thus far (and still going). He's pretty good.
Old 2007-07-14, 21:50   Link #574
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Must've been all the off-topicness that's causing the topic to slightly lose steam huh?

I wonder if Kyo-Ani would follow in AIR and Kanon's footsteps and cast someone else different from the game and drama CD for the protagonist Tomoya's role?

I've seen Itou Kentarou do bishoujo game protagonists before (Soul Link), but I just can't imagine him doing Tomoya, for some reason (I play the PC without any voice patch). Though Tomoya is designed as a delinquent, Itou sounds too "gruffy" for my taste. I must've been influenced by watching him performing Renji from Bleach for too long, since Renji is the sort of "wreak-havoc" delinquent-type character.

For me, Tomoya is on the "refined" scale for delinquents, a bit of Kyon-like sarcasm, but overall a nice guy. OTOH, despite his record of witty sarcastic characters, I also don't see Sugita Tomokazu do Tomoya, because Sugita's characters are mostly polite rule-abiding fellas, which Tomoya isn't.

I'm not familiar with Nojima Kenji's previous roles, besides, the Toei movie's not out yet, so the jury's still undecided on his performance. Though the seiyuus for the AIR movie and anime are different as well, it's unlikely he'll be cast for the anime.

Let's assume Kyo-Ani does pick someone else, who wants to speculate who it'll be? An established character or a relative unknown?

Useless afterthought: Starting off with the Fujibayashi twins makes me wonder: Does Lucky Star's Yoshimizu Kagami base his Hiiragi sisters' character design on the Fujibayashis? I'm not talking about the minute details, which are distinctly different, but the basic design: Kyou and Kagami - tsundere elder sister with long hair and twin tails, Ryou and Tsukasa - timid younger sister with short hair. Both siblings have purplish hair as well.
Personally, I've always had Tomokazu Seki in my mind as Tomoya's voice. Now why Seki, you may ask? Especially considering he sounds nothing like that role when he's playing Sousuke of FMP!.......

...aaaaaahhhh, but listen to him as Takahashi Keisuke in Initial D, and Yzak Joule in GS. Definitely "delinquent" enough for me.

Of course, I'm not too sure as to what kind of character Tomoya is, exactly, so I'm probably way off base here.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 22:35   Link #575
velocity7

Trust me when I say Seki doesn't really fit him. Seki may have the tsukkomi trait that Tomoya has, but his voice is too deep.
Old 2007-07-14, 23:05   Link #576
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@Kinny
No it's not because of the OT posts that the topic is losing steam. It's just a combination of...

1) It's a start of a new season, and as such people are more interested in the new things NOW

and

2) I don't think we've got any new material recently (past month?), whether it be scans or otherwise just news.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 23:29   Link #577
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

But seriously... I don't understand why they have used put such a picture of Nagisa as a centrepiece on the webpage of AnimeFesta 2007 if they are not going to premiere the anime there.
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 23:30   Link #578
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Well, to me, I'd prefer someone who can not only portray the role needed to well, but also has the kind of...chemistry with the other cast members.

Putting aside what game players say about Seki not being suitable, since Nagisa's clearly the "main" girl...well, let's just say the last time I watched a Seki/Mai show (( My-Hime )), I didn't enjoy their chemistry one bit. Of course , different roles play for different voices, and different kind of interactions, so things may be different, but just my 2 cents. Besides, the sound director too may affect how the portrayal of the interaction comes out to the audience.

Rather than speculation, I'd rather just wait and see who Kyoto Animation comes up with.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 00:16   Link #579
velocity7

Or you could check the drama CDs and see how well it works.

Of course, that's comparing against the bonus DVD with the first release of CLANNAD PS2, which had Kentarou Itou... (note Wikipedia is wrong, the game itself didn't voice Tomoya at all, it's just the bonus DVD)
Old 2007-07-15, 01:10   Link #580
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
Or you could check the drama CDs and see how well it works.

Of course, that's comparing against the bonus DVD with the first release of CLANNAD PS2, which had Kentarou Itou... (note Wikipedia is wrong, the game itself didn't voice Tomoya at all, it's just the bonus DVD)
Which was sooo a disappointment! I was looking forward to hearing his comments ^-^"
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen