AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-02-14, 13:28   Link #1041
tieria.erde
T-chan fan

what is fascinating about izaya that he appears for only two minutes and the fans go all screaming he's gotto be more popular than pop idols these days
tieria.erde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 22:17   Link #1042
firebrrend
Punishment Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieria.erde View Post
what is fascinating about izaya that he appears for only two minutes and the fans go all screaming he's gotto be more popular than pop idols these days
Lolz izaya kun........
Quite surprise selty didnt kill her partner for giving shopping list instead of job notes
firebrrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 13:46   Link #1043
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
1000 posts for 6 eps - I'd think we're getting pretty close to sufficient popularity for a sub-forum.

On balance, this is the best series of the winter season. When you consider all aspects - writing, animation, voice cast - this is a premiere effort that any of the major studios would be proud to call their own.
wow that's amazing. how many post should it be a sub-forum? Me cant wait

speaking of fanart.
anyone can translate this? I found this fanart is so much popular, I wonder why.
Bea Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 14:58   Link #1044
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieria.erde View Post
Seems he has the "Matt" effect from Death Note though Matt had less screen time and lines and still had massive amounts of fangirls
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 15:20   Link #1045
SMT
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea Rabbit View Post
speaking of fanart.
anyone can translate this? I found this fanart is so much popular, I wonder why.
I guess it's popular because Izaya shows many emotions he never actually showed. As for translation, I think you can tell by looking at the said emotions. :3
Well ok, there are sentences too....
SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 15:25   Link #1046
Kunagisa

Quote:
wow that's amazing. how many post should it be a sub-forum? Me cant wait

speaking of fanart.
Spoiler for crappy translation:
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 17:24   Link #1047
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Seems he has the "Matt" effect from Death Note though Matt had less screen time and lines and still had massive amounts of fangirls
Still to this day i am amazed at Matt's huge fanbase, though at the same time i understand every single part of it.
Old 2010-02-15, 19:22   Link #1048
Tworble

Anni Fiesta translated some Animage interviews with Kamiya Hiroshi and Ono Daisuke here-

Part1

Part 2

There is some discussion of the novels in the comments so be careful if you scroll down
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 22:00   Link #1049
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Men that guy must have been pretty unimportant as I have no recollection who he was. And that was after looking at his image in Google.
Though Izaya may had little scene but his dialogues alone were enough to make anyone fall for him... even guys .
Old 2010-02-15, 22:03   Link #1050
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworble View Post
Anni Fiesta translated some Animage interviews with Kamiya Hiroshi and Ono Daisuke here-

Part1

Part 2

There is some discussion of the novels in the comments so be careful if you scroll down
woops. catch many info there.
Part 1 showing how voice actor of Shizuo and Izaya great relationship. Imma really want to read the manga of them.
Part 2 they told us to re-watch the anime
Spoiler for part2:

so many impressions I got from this thanks for sharing.

@stupiodget nee lovely translation.
Old 2010-02-16, 04:51   Link #1051
Deshwiran

Love this series,loved particularly this episode. Being a Shizuo fan,i was particularly pleased when elefants started flying towards Izaya.
Deshwiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 04:59   Link #1052
Tworble

It makes me wonder how far the story will go by 12.

Here is an interesting interview with Narita on the character concepts and character art.

Link
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 05:02   Link #1053
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If Baccano taught us anything, it's that there are no minor characters in this universe - or unimportant revelations. It can be frustrating to have a character cement his or herself as a favorite, only to more or less disappear for a few episodes - but that's just how it seems to work here. And the upside is a cast full of interesting and fully developed characters.
Good point. I guess that when we're this far into the anime so far, it still is in exposition mode and not plot development mode. And yes, I think it is somewhat frustrating. At least this show is more interesting than a lot of other anime this season, so I can't complain. Too much. heh
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 08:56   Link #1054
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Here is an interesting interview with Narita on the character concepts and character art.

Link
nice! I am glad for Mikado character concept. >D
Old 2010-02-16, 11:06   Link #1055
June 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Men that guy must have been pretty unimportant as I have no recollection who he was. And that was after looking at his image in Google.
Though Izaya may had little scene but his dialogues alone were enough to make anyone fall for him... even guys .
Poor, poor Matt!

Spoiler:
June 1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 11:24   Link #1056
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:

Part1

Part 2

I actually linked to that LJ in Durarara LN thread awhile back, and yeah it's pretty much massive spoiler minefield, so I avoided looking at it myself.

Thanks for interview though! Kamiya and Ono really seem to enjoy the novels, and that was pretty good insight into Shizuo's character.

Quote:
nice! I am glad for Mikado character concept. >D
You can see this in ep5 with his conversation Anri.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-02-16 at 11:36.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 11:24   Link #1057
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I think these events could have probably taken place in the same day much like ep1 and 2 did. Ep3 followed Mikado's side of story, but Celty was riding in broadlight and at the Afternoon in that ep. We know in ep4 she had met with Izaya during the day for payment for some job and learned about the street artist. Shinra met the very same artist around this time. At some point she met Shizuo who helped her search for the guy, who they did not meet till the afternoon. The artist states during the conversation the that a man (Shinra) told him his drawings of Cetly where fine without the head. After meeting she parted ways with Shizuo at which point Mikado saw her for the second time near the end of ep3 (which was in the Afternoon). Later that night Shinra is filming his documentary on her.
I see... At first I was against this, since the bully had already managed to buy a new bag and cellphone. However, it could also be possible that Shinra filmed that part of the documentary onwards at around 6-8pm (possible, since the recording was at around ~23 mins when the episode ended, in the night). Furthermore, Shizuo and his friend saw Celty in broad daylight in Ep03 (Day 01), presumably while she was out doing Izaya's delivery, or looking for the street artist in Ep04. So yeah, I will note this and make changes to my personal series timeline.

Quote:
The Russian Sushi scene might happened in ep5 (2nd day of school) since IIRC it takes place in the afternoon, after the meal Kida probably spoke to Kadota about the DOLLARS then the Slashing incidents at night.
Which Russian Sushi scene are you talking about? Ep05's and Ep06's Russian Sushi scenes are mutually exclusive:
  • In Ep05, the Dollars-Otaku gang were sitting on the counter table (or w/e it's called, that long table that's built into the outside of the counter area). It is assumed that they talked with Kida in some VIP room until ~22:00, when Kida left and bumped into some wannabe Yellow Scarves.
  • In Ep06, the Dollars-Otaku gang were sitting on a regular table. It is assumed that after eating, they took out one serving of sushi (which was given to Hashim), and then headed towards Kaztano's place.
Plus, Ep06 can't happen on the same day as [the majority of] Ep05 because:
In Ep05, Celty was sent on a mission to retrieve a suitcase (given at ~18:15). In Ep06, Celty was tasked to look for Kaztano's kidnappers (time given assumed below). At first glance, there might be a possibility that this all happened in one night. However,
  • examining Celty's phone, its clock says 23:05, so the Alien-slashing incident should have happened at around ~22:00, given she got the suitcase right after and completed her delivery.Ep05
  • Dotachin called Kaztano's cell at 21:56, so it is assumed that Celty was given the task at ~21:30 (accounting for the gang's dinner time) and she was already searching for the kidnappers since ~21:40.Ep06
In conclusion, given how she was doing a blind search for a while, and accounting for her arrival at the exchange point relative to the Dollars-Otaku gang's, she could not have made it to the slashing area at ~22:00 earliest.
And of course, we also have the Anri, Mikado and Kida stuff. In Ep05, the trio was not shown to be present together at the sushi shop. Anri parted from Kida and Mikado much earlier in Ep05, while the trio were still at the sushi shop past 20:43 in Ep06.

Quote:
The Kaztano story was implied to have happened earlier likely around ep3 (Ist day of school) during the night.
Not really. It happened earlier alright, a whole eight hours before the opening narration.

And, counting eight hours from when Kaztano was kidnapped (20:43), Fat Kidnapper was captured at ~29:00 (~5:00 the next day).

Quote:
The 50% off deal at the Sushi also likely happened in ep 5.
If you are talking about the major day on which Ep05 takes place: unlikely, for the reasons mentioned above. Basically, the legendary [Kaztano Incident] took place on the 50% Off Russian Sushi Day, which was the day that contained most of Ep06's content.

Oh, and I just realized the kidnapper's said "Prepare for trouble" when they first met the Dollars-Otaku gang (well, at least on gg's subs). Now I know why Walker said that it's so "old school".

Last edited by Ice Block; 2010-02-16 at 11:51. Reason: added Anri, Kida, Mikado stuff
Ice Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 11:56   Link #1058
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

Link
Thanks !

I like the fact he outright states Selty is the protaganist and not Mikado. I knew Mikado wasn't the main character, but like some people here, I thought it would be similar to Baccano ! where there was no real main character. I love Selty so her being the main character makes me happy
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 12:06   Link #1059
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post

Which Russian Sushi scene are you talking about? Ep05's and Ep06's Russian Sushi scenes are mutually exclusive:
  • In Ep05, the Dollars-Otaku gang were sitting on the counter table (or w/e it's called, that long table that's built into the outside of the counter area). It is assumed that they talked with Kida in some VIP room until ~22:00, when Kida left and bumped into some wannabe Yellow Scarves.
  • In Ep06, the Dollars-Otaku gang were sitting on a regular table. It is assumed that after eating, they took out one serving of sushi (which was given to Hashim), and then headed towards Kaztano's place.
My mistake, I should been more specific that I was talking about both.

Quote:
Plus, Ep06 can't happen on the same day as [the majority of] Ep05 because:
In Ep05, Celty was sent on a mission to retrieve a suitcase (given at ~18:15). In Ep06, Celty was tasked to look for Kaztano's kidnappers (time given assumed below). At first glance, there might be a possibility that this all happened in one night. However,
  • examining Celty's phone, its clock says 23:05, so the Alien-slashing incident should have happened at around ~22:00, given she got the suitcase right after and completed her delivery.Ep05
  • Dotachin called Kaztano's cell at 21:56, so it is assumed that Celty was given the task at ~21:30 (accounting for the gang's dinner time) and she was already searching for the kidnappers since ~21:40.Ep06
In conclusion, given how she was doing a blind search for a while, and accounting for her arrival at the exchange point relative to the Dollars-Otaku gang's, she could not have made it to the slashing area at ~22:00 earliest.
That makes a lot sense, I hadn't thought looking at the time in show,

Quote:
Not really. It happened earlier alright, a whole eight hours before the opening narration.

And, counting eight hours from when Kaztano was kidnapped (20:43), Fat Kidnapper was captured at ~29:00 (~5:00 the next day).
True.
Quote:
If you are talking about the major day on which Ep05 takes place: unlikely, for the reasons mentioned above. Basically, the legendary [Kaztano Incident] took place on the 50% Off Russian Sushi Day, which was the day that contained most of Ep06's content.
Yep, but like you said using your explanation it's probably not possible.

Quote:
Oh, and I just realized the kidnapper's said "Prepare for trouble" when they first met the Dollars-Otaku gang (well, at least on gg's subs). Now I know why Walker said that it's so "old school".
This is Otaku gang we are talking about, it's most than likely it is reference like the milk scene.
Old 2010-02-16, 12:17   Link #1060
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
Thanks !

I like the fact he outright states Selty is the protaganist and not Mikado. I knew Mikado wasn't the main character, but like some people here, I thought it would be similar to Baccano ! where there was no real main character. I love Selty so her being the main character makes me happy
Just let you know, he said the same thing about Firo being protagonist of Baccano despite the fact that half novels aren't about him apparently.

Celty being the main character does make the most sense considering the title and the fact she mostly likely involved in most of the current events in some way.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-02-16 at 12:59.

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, shounen