AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-07, 12:24   Link #3821
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Ok. new silly question:
If female to male population rate of the world is 2 to 1. Does it mean harem would be promoted worldwide then ?

Same but 'safer' question:
Is there any other reasons for a family to have one wife and one husband, other than because of the ratio of gender in child at birth is currently quite even?

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-06-07 at 13:12.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 12:57   Link #3822
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Ok. new silly question:
If female to male population rate of the world is 2 to 1. Does it mean harem would be promoted worldwide then ?

Same but 'safer' question:
Is there any other reason for a family to have one wife and one husband, other than because of the ratio of gender in child at birth is currently quite even?
By 2050, it is projected that the statistic will go up to 3:1 (F:M). However, 70% of the world live in poverty.

Supposedly there is an equal distribution, according to the 3:1 proportion, it doesn't put down the fact that there is a 50% chance you, as a guy, might meet a spoiled princess. This reduces the ratio to 1.5:1.

Then mathematically and logically speaking, you round the 1.5 down, therefore it becomes 1:1 again.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 13:03   Link #3823
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
By 2050, it is projected that the statistic will go up to 3:1 (F:M). However, 70% of the world live in poverty.

Supposedly there is an equal distribution, according to the 3:1 proportion, it doesn't put down the fact that there is a 50% chance you, as a guy, might meet a spoiled princess. This reduces the ratio to 1.5:1.

Then mathematically and logically speaking, you round the 1.5 down, therefore it becomes 1:1 again.
How about marrying the spoiled princess and her private young personal maid then.... It gonna be steamy and hot...

Ok that's a wishful thinking... But where is that 3:1 ratio comes from btw? (Is men all fought and died over resources?). And seriously, get back to my silly question =D
Old 2010-06-07, 13:09   Link #3824
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
How about marrying the spoiled princess and her private young personal maid then.... It gonna be steamy and hot...

Ok that's a wishful thinking... But where is that 3:1 ratio comes from btw? (Is men all fought and died over resources?). And seriously, get back to my silly question =D
It was in one of the UN reports on world statistics. Can't remember what year, but I do remember such a report is done every 4 years.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-06-07, 17:32   Link #3825
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Silly question time:

In the USA, businesses often advertise their phone numbers with both letters and numbers: e.g. 1-800-555-LULZ. My question is, how do you call that number with a traditional phone? What about with a modern phone with a fully-functioning keyboard?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 18:58   Link #3826
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Silly question time:

In the USA, businesses often advertise their phone numbers with both letters and numbers: e.g. 1-800-555-LULZ. My question is, how do you call that number with a traditional phone? What about with a modern phone with a fully-functioning keyboard?
Those letters represent numbers. So for example, LULZ = 5859. So what you would actually dial is 1-800-555-5859.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 19:30   Link #3827
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Silly question time:

In the USA, businesses often advertise their phone numbers with both letters and numbers: e.g. 1-800-555-LULZ begin_of_the_skype_highlighting1-800-555-LULZend_of_the_skype_highlighting. My question is, how do you call that number with a traditional phone? What about with a modern phone with a fully-functioning keyboard?
Alphanumerics. Remember the SMS? That is how you correlate the letters and the numbers.

Old 2010-06-07, 20:24   Link #3828
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Alphanumerics. Remember the SMS? That is how you correlate the letters and the numbers.
So thats suppose to be the letters on mobile phones? What if you want to call from a traditional phone?
Old 2010-06-07, 20:30   Link #3829
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
So thats suppose to be the letters on mobile phones? What if you want to call from a traditional phone?
All modern American phones have letters on the keypad, except for on the number 1. The few exceptions are some touchscreen phones and phones with full QWERTY keyboards.

Quote:
Silly question time:

For a phone with a keyboard, you'd just have to know the phone number in numbers. On the radio, they usually announce what the phone number is in all numbers and with their little cute letters.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 20:39   Link #3830
monster

Quote:
The letters themselves don't really mean anything, other than for branding. As long as you know the numbers those letters represent, you should be able to make a call from any phone by just dialing the numbers.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:43   Link #3831
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
The letters themselves don't really mean anything, other than for branding. As long as you know the numbers those letters represent, you can make a call from any phone by just dialing the numbers.
I think it's more from memory purposes than branding, or anything else, I mean it's much easier to remember 1-800-555-WORD then 1-800-555-9673 isn't it?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 20:46   Link #3832
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I think it's more from memory purposes than branding, or anything else, I mean it's much easier to remember 1-800-555-WORD then 1-800-555-9673 isn't it?
Well yeah, but that's also one purpose of branding.
Old 2010-06-07, 23:29   Link #3833
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Thanks guys. I figured I missed something somewhere but now it makes sense.

Just one of those "culture shocks" you still get years after first living in a country I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
For a phone with a keyboard, you'd just have to know the phone number in numbers. On the radio, they usually announce what the phone number is in all numbers and with their little cute letters.
So, if I get this right -- even if you have a full QWERTY keyboard on your phone, punching in the actual letters (e.g. L-U-L-Z rather than 5-8-5-9) would be wrong and wouldn't get me the right call, right?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 23:42   Link #3834
Kudryavka

Quote:
Thanks guys. I figured I missed something somewhere but now it makes sense.

Just one of those "culture shocks" you still get years after first living in a country I guess.

So, if I get this right -- even if you have a full QWERTY keyboard on your phone, punching in the actual letters (e.g. L-U-L-Z rather than 5-8-5-9) would be wrong and wouldn't get me the right call, right?
I'm pretty sure, lemme check my friend's Blackberry. [/seriously, I'm checking]
Old 2010-06-08, 06:04   Link #3835
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Most modern phones have that. If you are using an old turning dialphone, you are screwed (pun unintended).

Old 2010-06-08, 06:26   Link #3836
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I used to have a Blackberry and honestly after years of using alphaneumerics, qwerty pads are still hard for me.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 22:34   Link #3837
Kudryavka

How are artists for light novels chosen? I used to think that the writer would choose a good friend of theirs to do the artwork for them, but I recently heard that Itou Noizi wasn't friends with Tanigawa at all before starting Haruhi; apparently The Sneaker thought his story was great, and then bestowed Noizi unto him to do his story's art.

So, how are artists truly chosen? Are they ranked by skill level, and the best artists are given away to the best writers? Do writers choose who they want to draw for them? Heck, do the artists choose who they want to work for? Is it just some big cattle trading business that the big magazines oversee?
Old 2010-06-09, 11:28   Link #3838
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Ok. new silly question: If female to male population rate of the world is 2 to 1. Does it mean harem would be promoted worldwide then ?
I don't know where any of you are getting these figures, but they're way off. According to data from the CIA World Factbook, the global ratio for males to females is 1.01, falling from 1.07 at birth to 0.78 among people over 65. With the exception of a couple of the Gulf states, none of the reported countries has a ratio greater than 1.2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_sex_ratio

(The Bahrain and Kuwait figures probably count the large numbers of male foreign workers in these countries.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 11:40   Link #3839
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't know where any of you are getting these figures, but they're way off. According to data from the CIA World Factbook, the global ratio for males to females is 1.01, falling from 1.07 at birth to 0.78 among people over 65. With the exception of a couple of the Gulf states, none of the reported countries has a ratio greater than 1.2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_sex_ratio

(The Bahrain and Kuwait figures probably count the large numbers of male foreign workers in these countries.)
You dare to trust CIA Fact book more than my make-up number?
Old 2010-06-10, 06:57   Link #3840
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Yes. They prefer CIA Fact Book over the make up numbers you provide.

Question:

I'm thinking of buying the visual novel/bishoujo dating sim Snow Sakura. I'm stressing 'thinking of buying'. Because I'm weary on how good it is. Does anyone have a liable and good review on this?
I would say go and buy Yume Miru Kusuri instead in you don't already have it.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious