AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Old 2007-02-11, 07:43   Link #81
Majic
Haibanologist

The Mellow Calling Of Haruka Suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Haruka has the one problem which plagues most English dubs: She isn't speaking with her natural voice. Instead, she's got to use a falsetto-kind "throat" voice, which seriously hurts the immersion because it simply sounds unnatural.
Actually, this may blow your mind, but that is her natural voice.

Haruka is voiced by Carrie Savage on the dub, and Carrie actually does sound like that normally, believe it or not -- although she usually doesn't sound quite so timid when she's not in character.

If you like, I can post a link to a recording of her on a panel at AnimeFest 2005 (about 50MB of audio) which demonstrates what I mean, but I assure you, she really does sound like that.

Fans of my favorite anime of all time might recognize her in another role...

Though she might vary a few things (breathiness, lispiness, etc.), overall Carrie tends to be Carrie, and though I'm sure she would hate to be typecast, she'll always be Rakka to me.

Some people like "the Savage touch" and some don't -- because she does tend to sound so "girlish" -- and that is, of course, a matter of personal preference.

For my part, having Carrie on the cast is a selling point, so I guess that tells you where I stand on the issue.
Old 2007-02-20, 05:36   Link #82
Asrialys

Yeah, I remember hearing Carrie Savage speak at the R.O.D. The TV End of Series panel at Anime Expo 2005.
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 14:40   Link #83
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Anyone have the KGNE sale numbers? Is funi making enough form the series to break even at least or are they losing money on it?
Old 2007-03-16, 16:00   Link #84
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Anyone have the KGNE sale numbers? Is funi making enough form the series to break even at least or are they losing money on it?
I think that even if we had the sales numbers (which are hard to come by), it'd also depend on how much it cost to acquire and produce (which is even harder to come by). I think that even though it likely won't make them any money in the short term, it adds diversity to their lineup, increases exposure for the genre, and should hopefully break even in time. In a small way, it might help broaden the overall appeal of anime. So, who knows. If we could get the sales numbers, though, I imagine it wouldn't look very impressive on its own. That's just a guess, though.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 01:33   Link #85
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perishthethought View Post
Have you read the summary? It's even further off the mark. It reads like Takayuki's being mercilessly victimised and that his relationship with Mitsuki is entirely the product of some unholy union of guilt, rather than Mitsuki cracking under the stain of unrequited love and concern for Taka's survival. 'Fall into a relationship' they state, as though there was no foundation for its success in the first instance... I can't wait to read the later summaries, tells you a lot about the person who wrote them! I guess it's inevitable with a series like Kiminozo that evokes such strong reactions that whoever watches it for the purpose of providing a blurb is going to come away with strong feelings about it. Still, a degree of impartiality is required, surely?

In addition, have you seen the episode titles they've added?

1: Friends to Lovers, 2: Waiting, 3: Betrayed by Love, 4: Moving On and 5: Lead Astray

Lead astray?! Who's leading who astray? Oh the hilarity.
Man, for some reason I find that so hilarious! Then again, anyone remember what the episode titles are in Japanese, if there are even titles to begin with?

I agree. "Betrayal is a bitch" doesn't really fit the nature of the story. I can understand the "betrayal" part, but the entire phrase itself is too aggressive and doesn't quite capture the main spirit of the show. Maybe if Haruka didn't get into an accident, and she and Mitsuki were backstabbing each other and ruining each other's lives for the past three years, then it just might fit. You know... Complete with bloodied noses and all.

I guess I'm somewhat of a purist. I think if you're going to translate a story, some degree of impartiality is required or you run the risk of skewing the perspective of the story. I mean seriously... The Eternity You Wish For = Rumbling Hearts = Betrayal is a Bitch?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 10:54   Link #86
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Man, for some reason I find that so hilarious! Then again, anyone remember what the episode titles are in Japanese, if there are even titles to begin with?

I agree. "Betrayal is a bitch" doesn't really fit the nature of the story. I can understand the "betrayal" part, but the entire phrase itself is too aggressive and doesn't quite capture the main spirit of the show. Maybe if Haruka didn't get into an accident, and she and Mitsuki were backstabbing each other and ruining each other's lives for the past three years, then it just might fit. You know... Complete with bloodied noses and all.

I guess I'm somewhat of a purist. I think if you're going to translate a story, some degree of impartiality is required or you run the risk of skewing the perspective of the story. I mean seriously... The Eternity You Wish For = Rumbling Hearts = Betrayal is a Bitch?
Looking back, I can see where they get the idiom they use...it's not so much that the betrayal between the characters makes them out to be evil or what-not, it's just that, like karma, it's a bitch to deal with
Old 2007-03-23, 17:30   Link #87
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post

Just a bunch of disgruntle Haruka fans.
Old 2007-05-26, 23:29   Link #88
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I know this is just a small viewpoint, but from what I noticed in the dealers over @ anime north, volume 3 is a VERY big pain in the ass to come by. All the dealers (2 big names and 2 small dealers) I went to in the first 2 hours of the first day were sold out. I managed to find my copy just today (2nd day) after going through at least 5 other small dealers, and only then they had 1 copy.

Sign of it doing good? I hope so, because the box set coming so soon (less than a year) isn't really a sign of good sales. >_>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 18:05   Link #89
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Just got my S.A.V.E. edition today. It was on sale, so I splurged. Good packaging and all. It may take me a while to watch it though... will have to prepare myself, hah.

If only the OVA was licensed as well.

Still trying to figure out why its "Rumbling Hearts" though, lol.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:51   Link #90
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Because the hearts, they do rumble, mate...

Don't shoot me.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 20:53   Link #91
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Yes... that is true. But why the change? I guess they thought it'd be simpler or something.
Old 2011-04-06, 11:51   Link #92
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Rumbling Hearts...I just don't get it.