AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-02, 10:44   Link #81
SQA

I'll spoiler tag this in reply to Utsuro:

Spoiler:

@kemal:

I was going to type something long, but I have to get going, so I'll be short. None of the characters are acting like they grew up in that technological environment. It doesn't matter if most of the characters are supposed to be dumb as bricks, they'd still need functional intelligence to survive. No one is really displaying that, which is the biggest issue. (Yes, they're supposed to be used for social commentary, which is why it's going to fail if they push too hard on that angle)

Also, the physical setup so far presumes at least a mobile military force. Otherwise bands of armed men would have already taken over the world. Unless the Fairies are preventing that from happening (which still presumes a mobile military force, just one we don't directly see). But if the Fairies are suppressing armed combat, then this is pretty much just Fractale or the Matrix style. Which is why I was hoping this is far more in the dark comedy vein, as then you can just whistle past the inconsistencies in the world.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 11:14   Link #82
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

I did not find the episode hard to understand at all, the subtitles were at some points a little confusing, but that's another good thing about having the audio to differentiate between the translators conclusions and the original lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemal_1915 View Post
Spoiler for translate sensei as mediator:
The subtitles were confusing in that, I guess the translator thinks that the audience would be incapable understanding that a person can have two functions, and skipped one

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemal_1915 View Post
I am still thinking why they shuffle the story like this and I am also worried about this
Although I really like the 1st ep, I agree it is hard to follow
They just threw viewer into middle of nowhere and I am not pleased with this

Edit:
I figure it out
it is arranged by the complexity and seriousness of the story
the light-heart and simple stories in the front (ep 1-6)
and the hardcore at the back (ep 7-10)
and a flashback epilogue (ep 11-12)
That's what I had in mind when I wrote storytelling purposes... so I guess it's confirmed... now let's see if it works out, since the visuals and background were perfect, and the staff managed to present the rich setting in one episode, unlike some other shows that still struggle to make sense after 13, 26, or even 50+ episodes

So color me delighted, another show equally thought provoking as Penguin Drum, only much more ambitious artistically
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 11:18   Link #83
Midonin
Last Engage

I didn't feel like I was thrown into the middle of nowhere with the first episode. Not sure what to think of the entire rest of the series being outlined and potentially spoiled within a day of the first episode airing, though. Seeing a list can't replicate an experience, but it's not what I was expecting to see.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 11:27   Link #84
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
I'll spoiler tag this in reply to Utsuro:

Spoiler:
Huh? I don't know anything about the story but what's been presented in the episode and the basic summary from ANN. It's clear from the way people talk about the fairies as "present humans" and the glimpses of technology we get that this is a post-singularity world.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 12:01   Link #85
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

RIP, Pan-tan
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 12:05   Link #86
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Huh? I don't know anything about the story but what's been presented in the episode and the basic summary from ANN. It's clear from the way people talk about the fairies as "present humans" and the glimpses of technology we get that this is a post-singularity world.
I'm with you. I went into the show blind, and the fairies reminded of nothing so much as of The Dancers at the End of Time (there wasn't the term "post-singularity" back then, but that's basically what it is). I'm not certain this is post-singularity, but the themes are the same.

I absolutely loved the first episode. There's a lot going on; you really have to pay attention to catch it all (I probably didn't). That they dropped us into the middle as some posts suggested is probably part of it. Not a bad idea. That way, I suppose, they can skip some exposition (if there is any, I don't know anything about the source).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 12:37   Link #87
monir
cho~ kakkoii

"The chickens in the front room have stopped laying eggs. Turn them all into meat."

~~~~cue music --- "pa pa para pa pa para..."

Universal lesson for all the chickens of the world: Don't stop laying eggs. Keep pushing.

Very good first episode!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 12:42   Link #88
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
RIP, Pan-tan
Don't worry, we can rebuild him. We have the garbage. We can make him softer, crustier, mold-resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
I'm with you. I went into the show blind, and the fairies reminded of nothing so much as of The Dancers at the End of Time (there wasn't the term "post-singularity" back then, but that's basically what it is). I'm not certain this is post-singularity, but the themes are the same.
It reminded me of the opening to Greg Egan's Diaspora where the majority of humanity uploaded itself to computers which exist in secure facilities around the world. The regular humans who remain are descended from Luddites who think uploading is sinful. Sometimes the uploads will install themselves in robots to go see how the old fashioned humans are getting along, though this isn't a popular activity since the real world moves so much more slowly than virtual time. I'm betting the fairies are something along that line.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 14:17   Link #89
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
"The chickens in the front room have stopped laying eggs. Turn them all into meat."

~~~~cue music --- "pa pa para pa pa para..."

Universal lesson for all the chickens of the world: Don't stop laying eggs. Keep pushing.

Very good first episode!
These chickens have earned the right to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Don't worry, we can rebuild him. We have the garbage. We can make him softer, crustier, mold-resistant.
If I could rep you again, I would.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 14:39   Link #90
Ray
Garnet

That.. was awesomely eccentric. Or maybe it was eccentrically awesome? I don't know. What I do know is that I absolutely loved it every bit of the first episode.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 15:29   Link #91
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Wow that was colourful...

Never have I seen nor thought that a loaf of bread could be so traumatic

Nakahara Mai in another lead role, I'm really quite happy at this, she's got such a sweet voice.
As for our princess, it's abit of ugly duckling tale in there. I mean I like her tomboy short hair look it was cute in it's own way but when seh turns into beautiful princess over night(literally) I could safely say I'm smitten

And talk about "running around like a headless chicken"
Old 2012-07-02, 15:47   Link #92
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I like this story, there is a certain sadness of how everyone has accepted humanity will become extinct, but it looks promising, this reminds me of another anime.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 22:03   Link #93
Jasque

Kemal made me very anxious for this show, and it really was worth it.

Great show, exactly what I needed for this year ^^
Jasque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 23:38   Link #94
zero7090

"the chicken have earned the right to live while the human will go hungry"
the moment i heard this i know this show gonna be pretty sick and the only word to describe the heroine is yandere.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 01:43   Link #95
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I loved every single bit of it, from the music to the artwork, down to the characters themselves. This looks like it's going to be quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Now who voiced the bread at the end ?I recognize that voice but can't remember from where.
I'm pretty sure it's Rie Kugimiya. I don't recall hearing a seiyuu with a voice as distinctive as hers.
Old 2012-07-03, 02:04   Link #96
Sol Falling

Oh god, I love this. Gonna read through the thread later. I was thinking that things are looking pretty bleak this summer season but it looks like this show might singlehandedly justify this season. Nakahara Mai's performance is brilliantly understated.

I don't think there's a show that's attempted a blend of societal satire and surreal comedy to this extent since Sayounara Zetsubou Sensei. So long as they indeed keep up the humour, this series is on the fast track to my list of all-time favourites. At first I was not so taken with the OP and the fairy design but I think they will win me over.

edit:

Alright, so since it hasn't been mentioned, I assume that this series will be 1 cours? Also, having looked over the presumed "outline" for how the anime will adapt the original material, I will submit that despite my previous statement, I am glad to see that this series will eventually step into "serious" commentary and ethical/sociological questions. Although at this early juncture, it is (I think) natural to retain some scepticism towards any highhanded moral or intellectual criticism this series might ultimately be pushing, if the story does not eventually go into that territory it would be a bit of a waste of the premise. Let's just allow the story to establish its setting first.

As for "establishing the setting", this out-of-order introduction was no particular obstacle towards attracting my interest and attention to this series. Although I could not say at all whether presenting the story in the original material's order might not have been better, at least I can say that this first episode has committed me to watching through to the end of this series.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2012-07-03 at 02:53.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 02:31   Link #97
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i really liked the first ep, if something it reminded me of the US cartoon like regular show, with its surrealis and sattire, cant wait for the next episode.
Old 2012-07-03, 03:38   Link #98
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
The setting feels like a zoo, from the looks of it most of post singularity humanity chose to evolve into the fairies while shepherding the remaining baseline humans.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 03:50   Link #99
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I'm pretty sure it's Rie Kugimiya. I don't recall hearing a seiyuu with a voice as distinctive as hers.
Nope that wasn't her, she was voicing one of the fairies though.
Old 2012-07-03, 04:00   Link #100
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Now who voiced the bread at the end ?I recognize that voice but can't remember from where.
I don't know, but it reminded me of the Tachikomas in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen