AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note - Episode 37 Rating
Perfect 10 208 44.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 79 16.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 55 11.70%
7 out of 10 : Good 37 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 4.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 9 1.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 39 8.30%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-02, 06:29   Link #241
L_Ryuuzaki
The last Shinigami.

Send a message via MSN to L_Ryuuzaki
Very good episode.
Old 2007-07-02, 07:12   Link #242
Yoruichi
Lover of Soi Fon

Nooo it can't be over!! Great series for sure. I realized that even after being caught red handed as Kira, Light freaks out saying IT"S A TRAP! But I think the only time it really sinks into Lights head that it is truly over is when he is about to be handcuffed, then he panics and tries to get away like a cornered animal. I think it is then he realizes it is over, and there was no way he would go to jail, to be tried and judged as one of the murderers that he himself had judged so many times, to once be a God, free and controlling the world for the better (in his mind), to becoming the criminal, with no future or life, and to be confined as such for the rest of his life. After realizing all that Light was stricken with primal fear and just couldn't live like that so he had to attempt one last ditch effort to win, by using his fancy DN watch. When he was walking away explaining things and was about to write down a name he shoulda just stayed walking with his back to them, instead of turning around and making it obvious. Never the less great anime, one for the history books.

Oh yeah one more thing, could Light even had killed Near if he wrote his name down? I'm pretty sure Near wasn't his real name, so only Mikami knew his real name at that point.
Old 2007-07-02, 07:50   Link #243
Renchan

How? How MIkami kills Near? He didn't have any piece or notebook... He can't Kill Near. His Notebook is fake and he already wrote Near(Nate River) name in the fake notebook.
Old 2007-07-02, 08:50   Link #244
Yoruichi
Lover of Soi Fon

Renchan I dunno who that post was to. But to be clear I was refering when light had a last chance using the torn piece of notebook in his watch, to write down Nears name. But seeing as I don't think that's his real name, it wouldn't have worked.
Old 2007-07-02, 10:13   Link #245
zalem

He was writing down Near's real name, which is Nate River. Light saw the name when Near himself held up the fake death note to point out that Light's name wasn't on there.
Old 2007-07-02, 10:47   Link #246
Erazor

Pffff....

The Kira we all knew through out the series would have planned something like this instead:

Got Mikami to bring the fake death note to the meeting, let him do his thing but also include Yagami Light's name too. Then when Near and everyone else is looking at the names and trying to figure out why yagami lights name is there too, light would memorise Near's name for later when he's alone with his watch.
The rest of them Light could kill by just research or whatever, even Near said that Kira possible seen everyones face here except his.
Sure Mikami would have been a sacrafice, but he was such a fanatic he probably would have done it anyway, also he could be freed later with a KIRA phone call to the president or whoever for the release of Mikami.

This way all light had to was make sure he sees the names written in the deathnote... he could do this by just acting paniced, then run over to mikami grab the death note look inside it and then throw it over to someone else or wotever.

The idea of this plan would be that Light is not exposed in any way, he's not putting himself in danger, and he still gets the name, if hes really clever he could memorise all the SPK names too.

... but noo... light had to win beautifully... in my eyes light was drunk when he thought his original strategy!

Also wasn't this plan overall flawed... what if Near never removed his mask... anyone could possible think they may cover their faces throughout the whole meeting.
Old 2007-07-02, 16:06   Link #247
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazor
Also wasn't this plan overall flawed... what if Near never removed his mask... anyone could possible think they may cover their faces throughout the whole meeting.
The plan would have went exactly the same and Near would have still taken off the mask (Because he would have believed Mikami was writing on the fake pages he modified)...It was Mello's interference kidnapping Takada that showed Near the possibility of a fake DN (Mello's goal was to create an anomoly for Near to take advantage of)...If he hadn't known that he would have went with his orginal plan at the same exact date and he would have died...Light's plan in theory was excellent...

I think what people need to understand is that Light didn't necessarily lose to Near and Melo, or to this fantasy that is the sucession of "L"...He lost to "God" (Which is to say in not being a true God that 1% of something not going your way can't be fixed or miraculously saved)...Simply put if Light were God he would have won...DN's ultimate point as a series teaches us this lesson in the final ep...As I said his "penultimate" destiny was that of a name written in the DEATHNOTE...

As a sidenote there is speculation that Near wrote Mikami's name in the real DN and could've written for him to, "not check if the DN is real or fake" before bringing it to the meeting then ultimatley killig himself after Yagami Light was revealed as Kira...If Near DID THAT, then I'd give him more credit and say he was on Light's level...
Old 2007-07-03, 09:21   Link #248
Onniguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazor View Post
“… everyone would pretend to be pure… we mustn’t do that… of course they’d say that. Of course that’s the correct answer, because humans have to act that way in public……. but in their hearts they are crying out for Kira to continue…” ~Kira

I would say that around 95% of the people in this world would use such an item as a Death Note to benefit themselves cunningly, killing only a few people here and there, the ones that you hate, the deaths that will benefit you, all sneakily so the rest of the society doesn’t catch up with you. Yet this is just as evil as Kira is, you just kept the quantity down, so what… and yes I truly believe only 5% of humanity will disregard the Death Note without use.
You think only 5% of people would refrain from using a device that kills people? If the people in this thread are any indicitave, apparently a fair percentage would use an item that killed people stealthily like this if they acquired it...but I'm still sure it would be considerably less than 95%.

I myself would have little use for the death note if I found one; on the othr hand, a note that makes person whose name is written down merely unable to lie ever again(even to themselves)...that kind of note I might have trouble resisting.
Old 2007-07-03, 22:32   Link #249
foolonthehill

Regarding whether or not Misa killed herself - my question is, how did she know that Light died?

It looked like it was occurring at around the same time (sunset). What, did Matsuda call her or something?
Old 2007-07-03, 22:55   Link #250
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

How To Read 13, I believe confirms Misa's death (Manga creators confirm this, they also confirm she's not the Kira-supporter in the manga-epilouge)..I also read that Matsuda let it slip (Although she'd eventually find out he died)...She doesn't jump on the same day Light dies though it comes later IIRC...

Damn this thread is dead..I would have thought DEATHNOTE would atleast get a 10 day burnout...
Old 2007-07-03, 23:06   Link #251
Yoruichi
Lover of Soi Fon

I imagine someone told her eventually. The thing I noticed was that Light's watch said it was a little after 2 PM when he attempted to kill Near and was shot. Then when he escaped we see the sun was setting, which means Light musta been running around for at least 4 to 5 hours or so, maybe longer. With all those shots in him he musta been one tough bastard to keep going. Then again he was still maybe thinking of a way he could pull something else off, after all he was a God (in his own mind), and a God cannot die, what would become of the world without his justice. Everything was going through his mind as he was dying I'm sure, just like when he saw his old self, poor Light, the bad things you did were going to come back to bite you eventually, karma is a bitch.
Old 2007-07-04, 00:20   Link #252
ShoyzX

What would happen if you wrote someones name on the cover?
Old 2007-07-04, 03:34   Link #253
Batja

Very disappointing, very disappointing. Objectively, there is not much to complain about, the ending was perfect. However, due to my certain... fondness towards Light, I was deeply annoyed when his honor was reduced to ash, and his ideals crushed mainly because he trusted other people rather than himself only. Obviously he hasn't heard the phrase "trust no one".

I really hoped there would be a different ending than the expected, the ending was similar to thousands of other endings - the show a lot of times did the unexpected, so I really thought my hopes weren't in vain - the criminal is caught, feels the angst of being jailed\executed, tries desperately and fruitlessly to avoid his falling, and so on.. Kind of reminds me "Crime and Punishment"..

Light is a great example for anime characters that can be cool without holding a gun, sword, etc. Too bad his character was ruined so badly towards the end, just when he started to get interesting again (facial expressions, amazing laugh, cold and thoughtful attitude..)

The last part of the episode was amazing. The sympathy I felt towards Light when he was running and seeing his older-self was absolutely perfect to end the show. Done very nicely. Well, Light chose a road that leads to two ends: being the closest thing to a god on earth and death. He lost. He sees the path he took as pointless, and desperately wants to return to the time of his older self, and probably asking inwardly: "was is worth it?". Great scene for the ending.

"What do you think of Kira?"
"God"

Old 2007-07-04, 06:40   Link #254
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

The episode was well done, I'll give it that. However, I can't push myself to give it any higher than a 7, mostly because of the ending and Near.

The ending was quite possible. As said in the previous post, Light trusted too much on other people. That part, is alright with me and I could have accepted it even if I didn't like it very much.
What I found irritatingly annoying is that pompous Near having the gut to say that they surpassed L just because he got lucky? All respect I've had of Near shattered in an instant. L lost because he was outwitted; Near won because he was lucky.

Last edited by celcius; 2007-07-04 at 06:52.
Old 2007-07-04, 17:18   Link #255
Onniguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoruichi View Post
...The thing I noticed was that Light's watch said it was a little after 2 PM when he attempted to kill Near and was shot. Then when he escaped we see the sun was setting, which means Light musta been running around for at least 4 to 5 hours or so, maybe longer. With all those shots in him he musta been one tough bastard to keep going. Then again he was still maybe thinking of a way he could pull something else off, after all he was a God (in his own mind), and a God cannot die, what would become of the world without his justice. Everything was going through his mind as he was dying I'm sure, just like when he saw his old self, poor Light, the bad things you did were going to come back to bite you eventually, karma is a bitch.
I would be more inclined to put it down as an anime "plot-hole". Kinda like in Titanic where the old version of the main female lead has blue eyes...but her younger self has brown. Except this plothole isn't THAT bad, of course
Old 2007-07-04, 19:58   Link #256
Boris Moskovitz
(-.-)

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onniguru View Post
I would be more inclined to put it down as an anime "plot-hole". Kinda like in Titanic where the old version of the main female lead has blue eyes...but her younger self has brown. Except this plothole isn't THAT bad, of course
Actually, eye color can change with age, so there's no plot hole going on with Titanic.
Old 2007-07-04, 21:53   Link #257
Samurai Edge
Swords and Sabres

I have some questions.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-04, 23:29   Link #258
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Edge View Post
I have some questions.
Spoiler:
uhhh..... Read the posts before this
Old 2007-07-05, 00:51   Link #259
Blackage

Heh Light could have won.

The ONLY thing he had to do was write Mikami's name down in the notebook when he found out the date of Near's meetings to insure the Mikami didn't deviate from the plan(He could have easily done this at meetings with Takada).

Something like "Mikami follows the instructions given to him by Kira to the latter, dies after accomplishing the instructions he was trusted."

Alas, he trusted Mikami, which was his undoing.
Old 2007-07-05, 01:24   Link #260
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom

I was very disappointed at the ending... I was cheering Light on through out the entire series. I don't normally get emotional when watching anime, but I actually slammed my fist on the table when I realized Light had lost.

Ptooie.
Closed Thread